Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

tbh knowing the Oscar selection process, Cancerwife Begins wildly underperforming and still ending up sniping an Oscar win in a major category due to an aggressive campaign by a distributing platform is pretty realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have no idea what the joke is supposed to be here

and I thought only the SO had asterisk eyes, is it all women?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Samovar posted:

Yes... Yes it is - I'm sorry. I can understand if these kind of dumb choices of phrasing gets tiresome - if people would prefer me not to, I can reign them in.
Oh no, I didn't mean that as a complaint! I chuckled at it! :)

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"You ever heard of 'pegging,' Ms. C?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I really like vater and sohn

me too

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

I hope we'll get a deep dive into whatever Kelley thinks D&D is.

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

EasyEW posted:

Sorry, I just saw this first thing and it can't wait any longer.

And The Award For "Outstanding Achievement In Shifting My Breakfast" Goes To...

This really was a Catch-22 for us all. Baituk has her winning here, so we'll get a week or so of smug "Lisa's Story is the most important thing to ever happen in the universe, grovel you mortals", but if he had her lose instead, it'd be a week or so of smug "decadent Hollywood don't care about true art and can't comprehend the genius of Lisa's Story".

I'm honestly surprised he didn't drag out the whole reveal to her win over a week but I'm assuming her speech (which will be all about Les Moore ofc) will cover that stretch instead.

Ugghhhh what tripe.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
LOL@ Dustin looking down on NERDS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

comic strip writers at the beach, kicking sand in the tabletop gamers' faces & stealing their girls

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hwurmp posted:

comic strip writers at the beach, kicking sand in the tabletop gamers' faces & stealing their girls

Never understood why you'd even miss a girl who could be "stolen" by acting like a complete rear end in a top hat but it's such a common trope

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Never understood why you'd even miss a girl who could be "stolen" by acting like a complete rear end in a top hat but it's such a common trope

Men feel entitled to the things they want. And they think of women as things. And do not care how the women in this situation feel.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Batiuk has an Al Bundy-like obsession with wringing every last drop from his four touchdowns in a single high school football game award-winning depiction of a cancer patient with dignity 25 years ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

Men feel entitled to the things they want. And they think of women as things. And do not care how the women in this situation feel.

I guess but my point is that if my gf was impressed by an rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat and left with him she'd be doing me a favor

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

judging by ed, kelly and parker would get winded just walking onto the beach

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Batiuk has an Al Bundy-like obsession with wringing every last drop from his four touchdowns in a single high school football game award-winning depiction of a cancer patient with dignity 25 years ago.

Bundy aged more gracefully and was overall a more tasteful person.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Bloop posted:

I guess but my point is that if my gf was impressed by an rear end in a top hat being an rear end in a top hat and left with him she'd be doing me a favor

Ah, but you see, Manliness is the key element of being a Man and in this situation the woman is correct when she discards the unmanly loser. Sure, you could pick a kind-hearted girl*, who doesn't appreciate Manliness, but then you would betray yourself and your gender.

*) she would cheat you anyway

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Kennel posted:

Dustin

I hope we'll get a deep dive into whatever Kelley thinks D&D is.

Chick tracts, mostly.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

The only way this is redeemable would be if, "Then they wake up because it was all a dream."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Speaking of nerd poo poo.

Fremen Of Arrakis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kavak posted:

Bundy aged more gracefully and was overall a more tasteful person.

Shoe salesman might be a more dignified job than 'professional cancermonger' also.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

This really was a Catch-22 for us all. Baituk has her winning here, so we'll get a week or so of smug "Lisa's Story is the most important thing to ever happen in the universe, grovel you mortals", but if he had her lose instead, it'd be a week or so of smug "decadent Hollywood don't care about true art and can't comprehend the genius of Lisa's Story".

I'm honestly surprised he didn't drag out the whole reveal to her win over a week but I'm assuming her speech (which will be all about Les Moore ofc) will cover that stretch instead.

Ugghhhh what tripe.

Draw it out? And delay the praising of Les Moore?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Which award did he win? He was nominated for the Pulitzer, but he didn't win.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

gleebster posted:

Which award did he win? He was nominated for the Pulitzer, but he didn't win.

A quick check of Batiuk's Wikipedia page (he doesn't look like I had pictured him) and I guess you're right. I figured after the praise he initially received for Lisa's Story that he had won some sort of cartoonist award.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The way Tombat writes the storylines for his smug Hollywood fantasy buddies reminds me of the first act of Birdemic, where everything goes great for the main characters…meeting a hot girl, getting a big sale, selling the company for a billion dollars, girl gets huge modelling gig…everything is just peachy perfect and awesome.

Same thing with these dorks. Stupid bland Star Wars ripoff is huge success and elevates characters to superstars and now the circlejerk movie about the Passion of Saint Lisa gets the actress an Oscar, in the least stacked field of competitors in almost a century, somehow.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The story line will definitely end with Les finding a way to mope, one way or another. "My writing was so great but I've never been recognized for my genius" or something like that.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm surprised Batiuk didn't write himself a best original screenplay win instead.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Guindon

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cool dad with a coke-spoon necklace.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 18, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 20, 1919

Cat Tales February 27, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 2, 1936

Mopsy November 10, 1937

Up Front January 25, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems May 17, 1952

Those Were the Days May 7, 1959

Wee Pals May 25, 1966

Dogbert January 19, 1967

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days May 7, 1959

Is the pill speed?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 13-14, 1934)

Peanuts (March 10-11, 1975)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 6-7, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 9-11, 1938)

And that's where things are gonna grind to a halt for the moment.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

Mopsy November 10, 1937

Good for you, Mopsy

She doesn't need to live here. Why does she still live here?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Samovar posted:

Yes... Yes it is - I'm sorry. I can understand if these kind of dumb choices of phrasing gets tiresome - if people would prefer me not to, I can reign them in.

I find that unless it's a recognizable reference nobody can even tell the difference most of the time. Maintaining a consistent, distinct voices for the characters tends to matter more for maintaining continuity than the degree of liberty across individual panels. And I think your translations are excellent when it comes to giving individual characters consistent, distinct voices.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Speaking of which...

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

In translation notes you probably would never have guessed if I didn't tell you, the phrase they're using here is literally "playful kid" and there's no way to use it in English that doesn't sound ridiculous, so I had to rework the sentence structure entirely to make "fooling around" work. Also, I continue the pattern of never referring to Mi-kyung by name, since she's the only regular character with a given name that's not a pun. Which is awkward because I do reference the never-seen character Si-hoon since any alternate versions of those lines that don't use his name feel even more awkward.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, thanks for letting me know! I'm always game to hear critique - but I'm glad I'm not being too obnoxious in my references during the translations.

On that note, in today's Blueberry: Tony gets a rude surprise, or ...yeah, this character. I'm pretty sure in the way he was originally translated he was supposed to be insane - his word choice and thinking indicated someone not very stable-of-mind. I did what I could with the translation work, and while it is not as bad as Chang-Li, I can understand if some folk aren't too happy with the representation, or Finlay and Kimball have a bad day. Oh, Trevor also

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I just confirmed that Crabgrass is going live in newspapers on March28th! Not sure which ones though so let us know if you spot it in the wild.

Old School Peanuts (May 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 20-21, 1990)

No Blind Alley Today

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Danielle's an accountant, so her missing a period is a pretty big deal (March 27 - April 2, 2006)

It begins.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Cool dad with a coke-spoon necklace.

Zeitgeist of the 70s!

...like polyester shirts.