Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

People suddenly are very into VPNs. That said, many are extremely oblivious about the economic situation.

I have several friends in Siberia and they are far less aware of what's going on than folks I know in Moscow, but I suspect everyone is equally screwed. The unfortunate part is that the Siberians are completely oblivious to what's coming and won't believe me when I tell them, but the Muscovites are appropriately panicking, but equally helpless.

Hell, when I told a Siberian friend of mine that Russia invaded Ukraine she said "hang on a second", apparently checked a government news site, then told me I was mistaken, and that the invasion wouldn't occur until March 16th. This was two days after the invasion. Once international bank transfers are completely halted all my friends will be homeless and starving, as they all depend on creative work from outside Russia (DeviantArt, FurAffinity, etc.) and have no skills marketable inside Russia otherwise. So long as they can accept payments from outside the country, they'll be fine, but that window is rapidly closing and nothing I say convinces any of them of this. It's very distressing.

The Ukrainians I know, fortunately, are now either in Italy or Romania now and doing okay, if not great. One woman continued her oil-painting work while she stayed in bomb shelters/subways in Kiev. Her rationale? "Well, it's boring just sitting there, so I bring my paints and canvas"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Sinteres posted:

I didn't say anything about Russia, so no you're not following my thinking.

Low effort concern trolling like you are engaged in isn't worth a serious answer.

It's already been done to death. The whole loving world has nazis in it. The Russians have put Ukraine in a position of needing every single military body no matter what their political alignment is, so if they are receiving weapons to fight the invaders you can blame the people who made that necessary. The far right wing party had like 2% of the vote in the last election. An absolute nonissue in the grand scheme of things.

It's a 100% bullshit cassus belli excuse that only the dimmest of bulbs and the most desperate of tankies would ever buy. The only side that looks anything like the nazis to me is the one that is invading another country unprovoked in order to seize land. Sounds familiar....

Just think it over and don't be credulous. In the big picture of the war, which side, if you have to choose one, reminds you the most of the nazis?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Play posted:

Low effort concern trolling like you are engaged in isn't worth a serious answer.

It's already been done to death. The whole loving world has nazis in it. The Russians have put Ukraine in a position of needing every single military body no matter what their political alignment is, so if they are receiving weapons to fight the invaders you can blame the people who made that necessary. The far right wing party had like 2% of the vote in the last election. An absolute nonissue in the grand scheme of things.

It's a 100% bullshit cassus belli excuse that only the dimmest of bulbs and the most desperate of tankies would ever buy.

I didn't say it was a casus belli, I answered a direct question about where people are coming from when they say the Ukrainian military has a Nazi problem. and I flat out said Ukraine's not controlled by Nazis, just that Nazis have a weird habit of showing up in pictures when people are writing about Ukraine's heroic military. I really didn't think this would be such a contentious point, but apparently there's a need to erase any inconvenient reality about Ukraine in order to make sure another country is accepted as the only country capable of wrongdoing.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mustard_tiger posted:

There is a small number of Neo Nazi soldiers in the Ukrainian military. There's also a small number of Nazis in most western countries militaries as well including Canada, US, and England.

None of these countries has an entire battalion of neo Nazis or allows soldiers in their military to wear Nazi iconography on their uniforms. This is a lovely false comparison- Ukraine does have a serious problem on their hands wrt far right extremists openly serving in their army and being the recipients of heavy munitions from the west. None of this in any way justifies Putin's actions. But we also should be wary of flooding the country with heavy munitions given our extensive history of doing this exact thing with dire consequences.

The invasion is wrong and indefensible. That doesn't mean Ukraine doesn't have heavily armed extremists that are being even more heavily armed as a result of our actions. For once, just once, maybe we should think about this poo poo before we do it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sinteres posted:

Ukraine isn't run by Nazis, but there do seem to be enough Nazi-affiliated guys in or around the Ukrainian military that friendly media puff pieces and even NATO's twitter account have a weird habit of accidentally posting people with weird Nazi patches when they're trying to praise the Ukrainian military.

OTOH 73% of the people voted for a Jewish comedian to become their head of state.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

That's whataboutism, the question was about Ukraine.

I've tired of this: Shut the gently caress up about Nazis in Ukraine. Move on to something relevant

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nenonen posted:

OTOH 73% of the people voted for a Jewish comedian to become their head of state.

Did you skip over the first five words in the post before you hit reply?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501326237603483648

:boom:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Did they trump book the buses so they will leave 5000 Russians on the tarmac?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Sinteres posted:

I didn't say it was a casus belli, I answered a direct question about where people are coming from when they say the Ukrainian military has a Nazi problem. and I flat out said Ukraine's not controlled by Nazis, just that Nazis have a weird habit of showing up in pictures when people are writing about Ukraine's heroic military.

Is this actually true? All I've ever seen is the same handful of cherry picked photos, there are loads of photos of Ukrainian military with no nazi symbols.

edit: posted reply and then saw they got probed, oh well

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
e: meh.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Mokotow posted:

What does that mean? Sorry, finance=magic.

Russian stocks are not directly traded in the US, they're traded on Russian stock market. ETFs are buckets of stocks that are themselves traded like a stock. Instead of you going into a Russian exchange and buying 100 different company stocks to invest in Russia and messing with rubles, you just buy this one American ETF in dollars here to do this extra work for you (for a small fee). However, the ETF needs to constantly buy/sell the underlying stocks as people buy/sell the ETF. Since Russia suspended all trading it broke the ETFs traded here in the US on our exchanges so they're just halted. Options are even more broken since they rely on the underlying stocks/ETFs being available to buy/sell as they expire. So now you have to find ways to offload them for cash (pennies) to someone instead of getting the actual stock.

At this point, most likely if you had any type of investments in Russian stocks or derivatives either directly or indirectly through US or European exchanges, then you lost everything.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 8, 2022

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hello thread, long time lurker here mostly for the discussion on Ukraine's existential war for survival against a far right high authoritarian ethno-nationalist kleptocracy; could someone point me in the direction of who's the really bad person here again, because it sounds like the one person just asking some questions is trying very hard to point collective rage toward the victim of a war of aggression and not the aggressor, leading to some confusion on my part?

Hah, oh boy how easy it is to be swayed by simplistic propaganda eh?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Play posted:

It's a 100% bullshit cassus belli excuse that only the dimmest of bulbs and the most desperate of tankies would ever buy. The only side that looks anything like the nazis to me is the one that is invading another country unprovoked in order to seize land. Sounds familiar....

Just think it over and don't be credulous. In the big picture of the war, which side, if you have to choose one, reminds you the most of the nazis?

i think the concern is how those far right elements remain entrenched. Ukraine literally has neo nazi segments incorporated into its military apparatus. And I agree that it is probably a small percentage of the overall armed forces and population, but for some reason they keep on being featured by mainstream media! Like if it's so small a percentage why do I see nazi symbols constantly on CNN, PBS, Reuters, etc. uncritically.

edit: In fairness, the US has tons of neo nazis incorporated as well, but for some reason I can go a week without seeing a US soldier wearing a black sun or SS symbol in a glowing character study.

Danger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Danger posted:

i think the concern is how those far right elements remain entrenched. Ukraine literally has neo nazi segments incorporated into its military apparatus. And I agree that it is probably a small percentage of the overall armed forces and population, but for some reason they keep on being featured by mainstream media! Like if it's so small a percentage why do I see nazi symbols constantly on CNN, PBS, Reuters, etc. uncritically.

Maybe you have one of those very reflective screens and it's showing the wall behind your couch?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Danger posted:

Ukraine literally has neo nazi segments incorporated into its military apparatus.

And Russia doesnt?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Ola posted:

Maybe you have one of those very reflective screens and it's showing the wall behind your couch?

The photo behind me is of Michael Douglas, not Stephen Bandera.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/michaeldweiss/status/1501294460981948418?s=20&t=yzUqxXsOadkkobk-ASofdQ

This seems to be a very good account of the Polish MiG saga. The Polish government is amateurish and desperate for recognition, and our Ministry of Foreign Affairs has been cleared out of people with any experience and is staffed by inbred cretins.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Despera posted:

And Russia doesnt?

Surely. But Russia isn't being portrayed as the hero here.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

surf rock posted:

Oh huh, I didn't realize there were new planes expected in the next decade. I was going to ask if it made sense to restart production of the F-22 since there are so few of them.

I wonder what'll be different about the sixth generation of jet fighters.

Well everyone is still working on what they are going to produce and is heavily classified. Some of the things spelled out in the ROIs are; optionally manned capabilities, adaptive cycle engines, enhanced stealth, high bandwidth datalink, cyberwarfare and enhanced BVR capabilities.

Basically a laundry list of "want to haves" which inevitably it will get whittled down to what is possible and affordable. There is also a push away from a single airframe to do it all like with the F-35 within certain parts of the military. The idea with the F-35 was to have a shared platform through the entire military which would make procurement and parts much easier and cheaper. What has happened in actuality is that all three versions of the F-35 are radically different and share fewer parts that originally thought. There were a lot of compromises that were made in each version to make it work which has caused a lot of problems.

My guess is we will see more specialized platforms again, which may share major components like engines for ease of supply chain and maintenance but the "one size fits all" theory of the last 25 years won't continue in the future.

Kaal posted:

The F-22 production tooling has largely been scrapped, and the plane itself lacks a lot of the modern digital features that would allow it to be upgraded. It's a great plane, but very much a product of the Cold War. Restarting production and doubling our current fleet is estimated to cost at least $50 billion, which is nearly as much as it cost to build the ones that we have.

Incorrect. The Tooling has not been destroyed. Here is the study going over the costs to restart production from a few years ago.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4452474-F-22A-Production-Restart-Assessment.html

The biggest issue is that it would cost 50 billion to produce a small amount of new planes, which it just isn't worth it when you can put that money toward a 6th Gen airframe and enhanced 4.5th gen in the interim like the F-15X.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Danger posted:

edit: In fairness, the US has tons of neo nazis incorporated as well, but for some reason I can go a week without seeing a US soldier wearing a black sun or SS symbol in a glowing character study.

Does America not deserve help if it gets invaded because 40-something percent of people voted for a white supremacist pedophile rapist?

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Does anyone know if the high oil prices will allow American fracking to start up again. It seemed like Saudi Arabia opened the flood gates of oil to drive prices down and kill of the Canadian and American natural gas fracking while also harming Russia's economy. Now oil is creeping up again will some of those wells be economically viable again?

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Danger posted:

Huh those images are very troubling!

Now what. Should Ukraine capitulate? Would Ukraine be in a better position to do something about its Nazi problem as a liberal democracy, or as a satellite of Russia? Has Russia been able to anything about its own Nazi problem that would make their de-Nazification campaign worth taking at face-value?

It’s all so complicated!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

Ukraine isn't a "hero", it's a state defending itself against a war waged with the explicit goal of destroying "Western values" and reinforcing a regime that would be considered too crazy and far right by Trump.

Sadly this means it has enlisted the most militant members of its society who are, as everywhere, to a large extent fascist themselves. It has, however, managed to keep them from power.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

https://twitter.com/raging545/status/1501297383258394624

Just like the lines when the first one opened.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Danger posted:

niether is azov

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

All portraits of Shevchenko and Bandera to be replaced by the one true visage of Олег Винник.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Danger posted:

We’ll you know if I was really interested in diminishing those far right elements I think the main thing I wouldn’t do is invade the country thereby giving those same far-right nationalist elements simultaneously validation of their nationalist siege mentality and an opportunity to posture as heroes

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Starks posted:

Based on what exactly? A few twitter posts identifying the groups in both countries?

Well, pretty much every major far right party in Europe has been financed by Russia in some capacity, this is well known. I imagine that is not only political suicide now but also pretty impossible to continue with the sanctions.

They are all trying to distance themselves from Putin now too, like Matteo Salvini who visited a Polish border town to see Ukrainian refugees and the Mayor dunked on him and held up the pro-Putin shirt Salvini wore himself in Red Square.

France is also about to have an election where the options are gonna be Macron vs le Pen, and she for years has been on the wrong side of the most pressing debate right now...I guess we will see soon how much this translates into electoral consequences.

There has been a lot of legitimacy given to these groups over recent years with Russia's help and it would be funny if Putin torpedoed all of that hard work over a botched invasion.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Rad Russian posted:

Russian stocks are not directly traded in the US, they're traded on Russian stock market. ETFs are buckets of stocks that are themselves traded like a stock. Instead of you going into a Russian exchange and buying 100 different company stocks to invest in Russia and messing with rubles, you just buy this one American ETF in dollars here to do this extra work for you (for a small fee). However, the ETF needs to constantly buy/sell the underlying stocks as people buy/sell the ETF. Since Russia suspended all trading it broke the ETFs traded here in the US on our exchanges so they're just halted. Options are even more broken since they rely on the underlying stocks being available to buy/sell as they expire. So you can try to find ways to offload them for cash/pennies to someone instead of getting the actual stock.

At this point, most likely if you had any type of investments in Russian stocks or derivatives either directly or indirectly through US or European exhcnages, then you lost everything.

Could you explain also what exactly this will mean for Russia? They've apparently been graded all the way down to 'default imminent'
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1501322317557018624?s=20&t=Hsl6b_EavKHXfoSeHeCVpA
Reuters:https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/fitch-cuts-russias-rating-says-debt-default-imminent-2022-03-08/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Danger posted:

:ssh: Russia is also the aggressor invading their neighbors and shelling cities.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

ten_twentyfour posted:

Does America not deserve help if it gets invaded because 40-something percent of people voted for a white supremacist pedophile rapist?

In fairness it's more like 90% of people I'd wager between the two parties. But I think this is a separate conversation. I'm talking about the manufacturing of the media narrative and the normalization of fascist ideology from partners of convenience and the aftermath of that. Russia should not have invaded and killed innocent people. We should not arm Nazis. I think both of these things can be true.

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Danger posted:

Very cool that, “how many images of far right guys was I shown” is the fulcrum upon which you determine who is the aggressor and the aggressed.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Despera posted:

niether is azov

Then how about mainstream western media stop showing off Azov and other soldiers with blatant neo- Nazi affiliation?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Danger posted:

I haven't seen much lionizing of neo-nazi elements of the Ukrainian military. Ukraine is not largely comprised of neo-nazis, though they exist in some quantifiable quality we can measure in the water samples of that eastern european river body politick. They're lead-brained but their parts-per-million are so low we can just call it sample contamination.

We ought to celebrate that the vast majority of the Ukrainian people are holding up so well against what is obviously the big bad here: the really stupid and also really bad kleptocracy seeking to acquire land and folk and deny an entire nation their right to exist. Spitting out the party lines of that aggressor (who's intent is malice) is a Doofus thing.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

We’ll you know if I was really interested in diminishing those far right elements I think the main thing I wouldn’t do is invade the country thereby giving those same far-right nationalist elements simultaneously validation of their nationalist siege mentality and an opportunity to posture as heroes

I mean, yea. My argument is that the media response should not be "Look at these neo-nazi heroes".

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Danger posted:

Then how about mainstream western media stop showing off Azov and other soldiers with blatant neo- Nazi affiliation?

Did cspam go down?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Question for anyone in the know: is this literally preventing all trading in companies registered on the stock market or is it possible for people (oligarchs) to conduct over-the-counter or private trades to get around this?

This prevents financial operations with the portion of the shares made available by that company on that specific stock market. Market closure should normally prevent anyone from doing anything, but we’re in many ways in uncharted waters at this point, and domestic players are already guaranteed to have an advantage when the markets reopen anyway, since foreigners have been banned from selling assets on the Moscow stock exchange.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
I think a mod posted that we should all shut the gently caress up about Nazi's. Can anyone answer my oil question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We're done talking about the Azov Battalion until they get murdered by the Russians or something, everyone is well aware they exist and we're tired of the slapfights from it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 8, 2022