Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FreezingInferno posted:

And who could forget our old friend Arsenal Summoner?

I wonder how many of those are entirely the responsibility of the translation, and how many just had the word Guardian in Japanese originally...

-Celitc Guardian: Originally Elf Swordsman. Translation's fault.
-Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #1: Originally Fortress-Protecting Winged Dragon. I'm willing to put this one on the Japanese side, since it's a pretty logical translation of the original name.
-Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #2: Originally Wyvern. Translation's fault.
-Guardian of the Labyrinth: Originally Watchman of the Underworld. A Watchman is sort of a Guardian, I guess?
-The Reliable Guardian: Direct translation of the Japanese name, so this one isn't the translation's fault.

So two are 100% renames that didn't need to happen, one is a logical translation that went wrong, one is sort of that but not as much, and one's a direct translation. Surprisingly fine when you consider other examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Are there any other TCGs that rely so heavily on card names to define their archetypes? The 'Guardian' especially is silly, because both 'Guardian' and 'Celtic Guardian' are archetypes.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Skios posted:

Are there any other TCGs that rely so heavily on card names to define their archetypes? The 'Guardian' especially is silly, because both 'Guardian' and 'Celtic Guardian' are archetypes.

The most recent Digimon TCG has support for "Greymon" and "Garurumon" cards. Like the Yugioh TCG, old translations necessitated rulings to state the few exceptions to those names like BurningGreymon (originally Vritramon) and KendoGarurumon (originally Garmmon).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't really blame the translators for the Guardians issue, they had no way of knowing that the word would randomly start mattering. A lot of those cards predated the idea of archetypes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I wouldn't really blame the translators for the Guardians issue, they had no way of knowing that the word would randomly start mattering. A lot of those cards predated the idea of archetypes.

I partly would though. The cards that already had a Japanese equivalent to "guardian" aren't their fault, but they had no real reason to rename a bunch of things which later caused issues.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah they did. It sounds better.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I partly would though.
Lord of Blaze D.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

kirbysuperstar posted:

God I have no idea what they thought they were doing with that, going from "what are you chucklefucks up to ha ha" to "oh god what are you doing"

I still think Tragedy is the most unfortunate one.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Julias posted:

What the actual hell.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of the censored art looks better tbh. Ring of Destruction is way cooler when it's a wheel of fire that blows up for no reason instead of a necklace of realistic frag grenades

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Let's be honest, Monster Reborn's weird crystal jellyfish is way more iconic than the uncensored ankh in the OCG.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Agreed on both of the above.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

Let's be honest, Monster Reborn's weird crystal jellyfish is way more iconic than the uncensored ankh in the OCG.

This one is true enough that they actually backported the design into the OCG later. It's a really cool design.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Never noticed just how obviously they copy pasted the original art a poo poo-ton of times.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just had a thirteen turn game, with me going first, playing my Kragen Control against their Sky Strikers. Jesus can that game bounce back from an empty field/hand. We both got insanely lucky with top decks too. I was staring down a 5300 attack Access Code Talker on an empty board and an empty hand when I drew my only copy of Lightning Storm. The funny thing is - they could have won if they just beat over one of my two attack position monsters and left the other one on the field until next turn. However, after my Lightning Storm, they had two turns in a row where they topdecked an Impermanence to stop my Buzzsaw Shark from activating. They also turned a topdecked Upstart Goblin into a Pot of Avarice into an almost full recovery. The only annoying thing is that they surrendered at the last possible moment, denying me the satisfaction of beating them properly :colbert:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

Oh ...no....

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is still my favourite example

OH COME ON THAT'S JUST A loving ANIME TROPE! I'm pretty sure it's even happened in the Yugioh anime!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jesus Christ, Konami.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

I can see why Takahashi would be pissed for something he didn't draw.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I can't at all fault him for being pissed about that stuff.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It is pretty lovely that Konami still doesn't credit individual artists when literally every other card game does now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Individual artist credit would be great, in part because I think something you'd see would be that one guy is slowly improving and is responsible for both some of the worst older art and some of the best current ones.

Either that, or we find out that the entire Skull Servants archetype and story is driven by one dude who just won't stop drawing skeletons.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I will wholeheartedly support whoever wants to draw that many boners.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

mtg has been getting more into getting japanese artists to draw JP-exclusive card variants recently, I wonder if making that more commonplace might make Konami less worried about artists being poached?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The weird thing is that Konami doesn't just not credit their artists, they apparently make them sign draconian NDAs, even when the artist in question is super obvious because of their distinctive style. (i.e. Genzoman repeatedly winking at the camera about drawing Kozmo Farmgirl et al.)

Edit:
https://twitter.com/mrgenzoman/status/773952670952517636?lang=en

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sky Strikers are some poo poo. Widow Anchor is just unreasonable imo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dabir posted:

I've started considering running Cosmic Cyclone as my backrow hate for Eldlich and Sky Strikers.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1500981329361526786?t=pKkAxLz0iW-jMA9QwYvuow&s=19

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

girl dick energy posted:

I've started considering running Cosmic Cyclone as my backrow hate for Eldlich and Sky Strikers.

I'm already seeing maindeck cosmic cyclones in net decks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dabir posted:

Sky Strikers are some absolute nonsense and I pine for the day that the deck is finally dead and buried and gone forever.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I had a 40 minute game with my 60 card eldlich deck vs a decent Sky Striker player. It was very back and forth and I ended up forcing them to surrender. Widow anchor can indeed go suck a gently caress.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
What is Sky Strikers win condition? I feel like they always just sort of flail ineffectively but draw the match out forever.

I do run a deck that summons tokens on their field and that really seems to screw them up though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zore posted:

What is Sky Strikers win condition? I feel like they always just sort of flail ineffectively but draw the match out forever.
Practically speaking? Widow Anchor to beat you to death with your own stuff.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've also seen Sky Strikers be pretty adept at link climbing, which inevitably leads to Accesscode Talker Beatdown.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zore posted:

I do run a deck that summons tokens on their field and that really seems to screw them up though.

Win on Resources. It's literally a deck designed to out-resource the opponent until they can make a kill and the opponent can't defend.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Zore posted:

They win the grind game. They beat you with their insane resource looping. They drag you out until you can't stop them then turbo into Accesscode and kill you from there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
And that's why you have to out resource them by making many adorable Deserts and showing them the absolute power of a True Monarch.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Zore posted:

Dinosaurs? Yeah half their cards need their main monster zones to be empty so the field spell kinda messes them up

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Get you an easy to summon boss that can't be targeted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I guess for Megaliths, the BLS link would work. I always feel uneasy about leaving that thing out on the field even though targeting and destruction protection is pretty great.