Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oyster posted:

In my partner's reading she came up with "gurgling", and I can't say I disagree, she's gained a lot of weight since the steroids. We'll be calling the vet again shortly, the steroids are keeping her eating but her energy lasts for a shorter and shorter amount of time after each dose. There is also added stress in that I can't help with the steroids; I was concussed a few months ago and my motor control is not great, I'm not even able to hold her without shaking, leaving the dosing completely to my partner and our Luna has been less and less cooperative.

My partner is calling the vet again soon, though they likely will only offer words of comfort.

Really sorry to hear about your cat. It's so incredibly hard and your resolve is definitely the right thing

For what it's worth, when it was Socks' time it was really abrupt. Like on the Thursday we took her to the vet because she wasn't eating and they gave her some IV fluids. She perked up afterwards and she was snuggling in our laps and purring up a storm and jumping around the vet's office just like normal. Even before the fluids she was still acting like herself.

Literally 12 hours later she wouldn't even touch wet food, and by the next day she just.. wasn't Socks anymore. Her brother was being very sweet and snuggling beside her and not bothering her because I think both she and he knew that it was time at that point. She would basically only get up to try and use the restroom, be unable to, then slowly pad back to lay on top of someone.

I think cats are just like that a little bit, they hide what's going on really well until they can't and they let you know that it's time. Crossing my fingers for you guys

Edit: sad first post on a new page for cat thread, have a picture of our two cats hanging out together:

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Two things:

1. As an update, I last posted here 3-5 months ago that my one cat had a heart murmur, what to expect, etc. well, so far it’s good news, took him the the cat cardiologist (6 weeks to get in), and basically he’s at a 2 out of 4, but they gave us medicine to give him daily that theoretically should help give his heart a good extension. Fingers crossed, but good to at least do what we can to help said cat.

1. we now work at home. And of course it was like “this will be great, the cats will hang out with us, all fun!”

Except what happens is they all hang out upstairs with my wife , ignore me in my downstairs office, and then start fighting in her office when it’s close to food time.

So we are thinking we need a cat gate to control when they can go upstairs. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Safety...ps%2C101&sr=8-3

Not 100% sure if we want it at the top or bottom yet. Anyone have any recommendations or anything that can work well?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't have a recommendation, but I don't really see that gate stopping or even slowing down a cat unless it's elderly with mobility issues.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Two things:

1. As an update, I last posted here 3-5 months ago that my one cat had a heart murmur, what to expect, etc. well, so far it’s good news, took him the the cat cardiologist (6 weeks to get in), and basically he’s at a 2 out of 4, but they gave us medicine to give him daily that theoretically should help give his heart a good extension. Fingers crossed, but good to at least do what we can to help said cat.

1. we now work at home. And of course it was like “this will be great, the cats will hang out with us, all fun!”

Except what happens is they all hang out upstairs with my wife , ignore me in my downstairs office, and then start fighting in her office when it’s close to food time.

So we are thinking we need a cat gate to control when they can go upstairs. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Safety...ps%2C101&sr=8-3

Not 100% sure if we want it at the top or bottom yet. Anyone have any recommendations or anything that can work well?

This: https://www.amazon.com/SHRRL-Running-Closure-Cat-Resistant/dp/B09FGL4KMM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Worked brilliantly for us when we got our new cat who, upon getting home and realizing there was another cat on the side of the gate, immediately started climbing over the previous one we were using. Be warned you absolutely have to put up the tacks though, the stickiness won't last.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't have a recommendation, but I don't really see that gate stopping or even slowing down a cat unless it's elderly with mobility issues.

Even then an determined cat can overcome some impressive obstacles.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, don’t get me wrong I am sure there is both trial, error, and probably the cats will figure ways around it. But I figure we can get something that mostly works.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
The mornings are getting lighter and Wednesday's sense that it's breakfast time is getting earlier. The bedroom door doesn't shut so we can't shut her out. Oh no.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My cat is fascinated by this other cat it sees in the mirror, why does it disappear when he runs around it? Unlike dogs cats can't pass the mirror test.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat completely ignores mirrors. I don't know if she understands it's just her reflection or if she's just come to a peace agreement with Mirror Cat. I did once catch her gazing into the mirror in a creepily human way, but who knows what was going on in that little cat brain.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pidan posted:

My cat completely ignores mirrors. I don't know if she understands it's just her reflection or if she's just come to a peace agreement with Mirror Cat. I did once catch her gazing into the mirror in a creepily human way, but who knows what was going on in that little cat brain.
Sorry (e: or, congratulations), your cat is a vampire.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A lot of cats have very good spatial awareness and can recognize themselves in a mirror. In addition to the cat face filter reaction videos just being funny, a lot of the cats looked back at the person they knew was there but looked like a cat on the phone. Its a neat interaction for an animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkzm2i91L38 (killing embed since filter face is kinda terrifying sometimes)

Other cats are Milly who gets lost upstairs if the wrong door is closed even though there are alternate routes. She will try to dig around the edges to get the fish in the iPad though.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Last year during a heatwave we had to go to a hotel and our cat was SO perterbed by the huge mirror. Like he definitely thought there was another room there. The only mirror at home is the bathroom one which he never really sees.

I was so worried being in the hotel would stress him out, but other than the mirror thing he was so chill. He even slept on the bed between me and my partner :kimchi:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Apologies if this isn't the right thread for this.

We have 5 cats. We have many litter boxes. The litter boxes are all cleaned regularly. We use lightweight unscented clumping litter.

I have a cat who is 10 years-old. She almost always refuses to pee in any litter box.

She is slow to moving around. She has a few spots she hangs out at the most of the day and we put litter boxes near them for her to use. We have set up tables and pet stairs in a way to make it easiest for her to move from her chill spots to the litter boxes. She doesn't go far from her spots to use the litter boxes so we don't see her ever going outside of her main resting room.

She always poops in the litter boxes. We've made stairs, ramps, gotten low-entry litter boxes, and she will always go into them in order to poop. Then to pee she will sit right outside the litter box. Almost always, without fail. We've started putting down pads under the litter boxes to at least catch the cat piss. We regularly use nature's miracle to try and get her to stop peeing in those spots, as well as making sure that the litter box has enough space in it and litter in it for her to comfortably use it.

We've taken her to the vet, they've checked her out, done blood tests, taken samples, and everything has come back negative. She's healthy, she's fine, and for the life of us we just cannot seem to get her to actually pee in the litter box. It's infuriating because we can think we've finally figured something out to get her to use it and then a day later she is peeing outside of it again.

We don't know what to do or where to go at this point. I can't get a senior low-entry litter box (the really wide ones) because unfortunately I have another cat who just scatters stuff everywhere unless there are high walls. We had modified a litter box in the past to have a lower entry level and the litter just ended up everywhere because this other cat would always stand on the edges flipping the whole thing over.

What can I possibly even do at this point? I feel like I've done everything I can reasonably do to cater to her and she just refuses to cooperate. We've even moved the litter box to be over top of the spot she'll pee in and she'll just start peeing in another place just outside the litter box. I just don't know anymore and I'm hoping someone in here who is actually smart will be able to point out something I can do for her. We've tried covered, uncovered, high wall, low wall, wide, all with the same result of her occasionally peeing in it and then just peeing outside of it.

Sorry for the big wall of text. Please help us.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Has she always peed outside the box?

Have you tried a sensitive cat litter?

Is she declawed?

She may put up with whatever bothers her about the box to poop because pooping on the floor bothers her more.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
She is not declawed. We have had trouble with her peeing outside of the litter box for a while, even before we moved (we moved about half a year ago), though the problem has become more obvious because the current apartment is entire hard floor and the old apartment was mostly carpeted so we didn't find some of her secret pee spots until we were moving.

What is sensitive cat litter?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Sensitive litter is softer and smaller grained for cats that have paws that hurt or for whatever reason the cat needs (why I asked about being declawed). Random sample:

https://www.chewy.com/dr-elseys-paw...AiAAEgJYhPD_BwE

Maybe she's got a touch of arthritis or just is being a cat. We all know people that have bathroom hang ups, so there’s that too. :)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FirstAidKite posted:

We don't know what to do or where to go at this point. I can't get a senior low-entry litter box (the really wide ones) because unfortunately I have another cat who just scatters stuff everywhere unless there are high walls. We had modified a litter box in the past to have a lower entry level and the litter just ended up everywhere because this other cat would always stand on the edges flipping the whole thing over.

You could always vacuum more. :shrug:

About 6 months ago my then 15 year old cat decided to start peeing in my bed on occasion even with a clean litter box. I was using a Clever Cat top entry without the lid because she's a monster.

Once I walked in on her sitting in front of the box looking at it, like she was daunted by jumping over the lip. I got a low sided one, and the bed peeing stopped.

Other than some frustrating UTIs in the last couple months everything has been fine. During one of the visits for a UTI, I had them x-ray her for stones, and while no stones were found the vet spotted some arthritis near her hips.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

You could always vacuum more. :shrug:

The point I was trying to make there is that our bigger cat will stand on the edges of the litter boxes and will end up flipping them over if they are lightweight enough, which is only a concern with the low entry wide litter boxes. Sure I can just vacuum more often but it doesn't change the fact that it'd be a waste of litter for him to keep flipping the boxes over or scooping out half of the litter in the box any time he goes to pee in it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Put something heavy and flat on the bottom of the tray?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

You can't train a cat to accept other cats in its territory. If you can't keep them out of your garden (with netting or similar) then you're just going to have to accept that there will be confrontations, and hope that generally they'll be more yowling and chasing and less clawing and biting.

Thanks, I feared as much. This is a very cat heavy area and unfortunately Zeus thinks the whole drat neighbourhood is his territory. My last (and only) cat of 18 years was a female, I'm quite surprised a neutered male is so aggressive with other cats, especially since some cats in at the rescue centre were right up against the plexiglass hissing at the others but he was very chill.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hey cat thread, haven't posted in a while because busy, and also 2 happy and healthy kitties after a year of sadness back in 2020.

Downside is these 2 fluffs have got a bit chubby, because we over-scooped on the dry (being happy they had good appetites and missed the bit where they stopped growing!) There's also some cross-bowl stealing going on, and Gaia is more likely to be bullied away from her food. In the interest of keeping consumption roughly even as we ration the dry food more quickly, I've ordered the back cowl thing for her Surefeed microchip feeder.

Was there also a mode where it would close if it detected an invading chip? Currently it stays open if they're both there, and then when Gaia wanders off, Maple leans on the lid with her shoulder to finish it off. Having trouble googling that, anyone know how to activate it? Or did I make it up?

Pics:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There's allegedly an "intruder mode" which yields this set of instructions courtesy of reddit (because it's not an "official" mode and usually you'll have to pry it out of a Surefeed help rep):

quote:

"Put your SureFeed into our Intruder Custom Mode by following the instructions below:
Please put the Slide Switch into position II (Slide Switch setting II).
Press the Fn and the ‘Add Pet’ buttons together until the red LED illuminates (approx. 10 seconds)
Press the Fn button repeatedly until the LED shows orange (not flashing).*
Once the LED shows orange, press the Open / Close button to select Intruder Custom Mode.
*If you go past Orange keep pressing Fn to cycle through all the Custom Modes until the correct Custom Mode is reached again.
Please note – if you do not complete the steps above the unit will time out and return to normal operation after 60 seconds."

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ah intruder, that was the magic word! Thanks. Yeah I think they keep it secret because the intruder can end up doing a DoS attack on the other cat, but I'll keep an eye on things.

We also have a load of wet food I want Maple to get through without Gaia snaffling it, as it disagrees with her tummy. Plan A: clever use of chip bowls. Plan B: donate it to the shelter and put them both on sensitive digestion food :v:

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Update on the dastardly couch peeing villain: She seemed to stop a day after I posted, but still had the vet appt so I took her in. All healthy no UTI.

When they weighted her, she weighed all of 4.8lbs. I couldn't believe it, so we rechecked. 4.8lbs. She's a ragdoll. Vet said she's healthy though!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

dervinosdoom posted:

Update on the dastardly couch peeing villain: She seemed to stop a day after I posted, but still had the vet appt so I took her in. All healthy no UTI.

When they weighted her, she weighed all of 4.8lbs. I couldn't believe it, so we rechecked. 4.8lbs. She's a ragdoll. Vet said she's healthy though!

The first cat we had never weighed more than I think 7.5 lbs at her heaviest. She had kittens when she was like a year old and so she was just super stunted. The friendliest girl I'd ever seen though! Glad to hear she's stopped going on the couch

My wife and I were talking about this over the weekend, but in the 2 months we've had our newest cat it's incredible how much he's changed. He went from super loud crying all the time if he didn't see us or couldn't get to us for more than a few minutes to being totally content with snoozing in another room all day. Went from being pretty hyper and constantly jumping at the cat gates if he could see another cat to grooming his cat bro when he runs over before they have a fun play wrestle. He now tolerates a ton of petting, though he'll still get a little nippy if it's too much, and has become a pretty big lap cat throughout the day. He doesn't even devour all his food anymore as soon as it's put in his bowl, he'll just graze throughout the day no issues. Heck, during the shared feeding time he'll even share it with the other cat.

He's almost a completely different cat since coming home from the shelter and out of the foster program now that he doesn't have anxiety about us disappearing. I hope he wasn't mistreated or anything in the foster program, though I think he was around other cats constantly so he was probably just very very stressed all the time between foster home and adoption center. Definitely a cat success story

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

dervinosdoom posted:

Chino never gets above 3-4 pounds. He eats quite healthily but he's skinny as all gently caress. To the point where he's gangly - it's like the feline equivalent of Marfan syndrome or some poo poo.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

She had kittens when she was like a year old and so she was just super stunted.

We always wondered why Perdy was so smol :ms:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Definitely a cat success story

:3: Glad to hear.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Her parents are big! I think 10lb and 8lbs. She just got the small genes! Which is good for her cause she can easily sleep on my arm.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Definitely a cat success story

Awesome!

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Bobstar posted:

Ah intruder, that was the magic word! Thanks. Yeah I think they keep it secret because the intruder can end up doing a DoS attack on the other cat, but I'll keep an eye on things.

We also have a load of wet food I want Maple to get through without Gaia snaffling it, as it disagrees with her tummy. Plan A: clever use of chip bowls. Plan B: donate it to the shelter and put them both on sensitive digestion food :v:
We put both of our cats on sensitive stomach food when one of them was having weird poop problems and it worked out great. Luckily our other one is the least picky cat I have ever known, he is just so happy to eat whatever is available. He was born to a working cat in a grain mill. The rest of the litter stayed around as they grew, but the mill owners noticed he was "failing to thrive" so they took him to the rescue where my partner eventually adopted him. He doesn't overeat and he's always been a healthy weight, if on the small side overall, he's about 9 lbs. now. He's very polite and doesn't beg actively, although he knows when it's treat time and appears right on schedule. And it's both heartwarming and a little heartbreaking how excited he is to have his kibble topped up or get a portion of wet food, every time, every kind.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think my cat wants me to play fetch with it. :catstare:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think my cat wants me to play fetch with it. :catstare:

Cats that play fetch are cool.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Our Maine Coon loved to play fetch with crushed up paper balls, yeah. Loved popcorn too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We had about a week of fetch, we tried so hard to confirm the behavior with treats and praise but she stopped doing it and never fetched again. My greatest failure as a cat wrangler.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

My younger cat has loved fetch every since he was a kitten

But the only thing he'll fetch is the stretchy hair ties my wife uses :shrug:

We periodically pick them up and put them in a bowl to try and keep them from being as easily found, but he has a hunter's sense for hairties and invariably I'll find him up there stealing them to amuse himself or bring over for fetch until they're all under doors again

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If you buy him enough of them,he might not mind if your wife uses a couple of his toys to hold back her hair.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Gorgar posted:

If you buy him enough of them,he might not mind if your wife uses a couple of his toys to hold back her hair.

Yeah, at this point he has his set of hair ties that he gets to play with that goes in the bowl, I like to think it makes him feel smart that he "sneaks" them away from us

Cause if we didn't, he would absolutely get into the real stash of hair ties that she uses lol

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

Sorry for the big wall of text. Please help us.

I had a cat that wouldn’t pee in litter box and it was maddening. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. For my cat it was a pain issue and she used the litter box happily when she was on a low dose of buprenorphine.

It’s going to seem weird but you might try a baking sheet (with a lip) and put a scrap of carpet in there. If there’s no litter in it the flipping thing should not be an issue. If you can get her to contain her peeing to one spot you can test out different fillers besides carpet like paper towels or puppy pads that might be a good compromise. Even buying carpet remnants all the time may be cheaper than all the natures miracle.

Good luck with your cat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Joburg posted:

I had a cat that wouldn’t pee in litter box and it was maddening. I’m sorry you have to deal with this. For my cat it was a pain issue and she used the litter box happily when she was on a low dose of buprenorphine.

It’s going to seem weird but you might try a baking sheet (with a lip) and put a scrap of carpet in there. If there’s no litter in it the flipping thing should not be an issue. If you can get her to contain her peeing to one spot you can test out different fillers besides carpet like paper towels or puppy pads that might be a good compromise. Even buying carpet remnants all the time may be cheaper than all the natures miracle.

Good luck with your cat.

Oh my god this is loving brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think the advice was originally from Patricia McConnell or someone. The gist of it is, find what they like peeing on and make that into a litter box. Once you have your sanity back you can try to make it easier to deal with.