Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

I'm curious to see if the new Airs have the same jelly scrolling issue as the Mini. The screens seem to be the same otherwise between the new Air/Mini.

If the Air doesn't have jelly scrolling, then I think we can take that as an implicit admission that they hosed up the Mini's screen. IIRC, some tech vlogger theorized the issue with the Mini was just that Apple installed the display controller rotated incorrectly

it will (and does), it's just that it's a slightly nicer panel installed such that it refreshes in the orientation most people use it, so it's not quite as noticeable as on the mini.

FCKGW posted:

Is this a joke? Do people think a multi trillion dollar company would install a part upside down and then, when exposed, would just continue to do it and not fix it?

pretty sure both oneplus and motorola have done this before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, why is scrolling between home pages on the pro so lovely? You have to very precisely and slowly press and scroll just right to move between them. Also swiping into the alt-tab view kinda sucks.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I don’t have that problem on my 3rd gen 12.9” was it always like that for you?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i absolutely do not have that problem on either of my ipads pro

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

FCKGW posted:

Is this a joke? Do people think a multi trillion dollar company would install a part upside down and then, when exposed, would just continue to do it and not fix it?

The jelly scrolling thing is so overblown. People will find any reason to hate on the little tablet.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

The jelly scrolling thing is so overblown. People will find any reason to hate on the little tablet.
At this point I only remember it's a thing when someone mentions it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I played with a display model in Best Buy and was basically like "Yeah, I guess I can kinda see it," and that was kinda that. I don't know that it would ruin the experience for me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The OLED Switch has the same jelly screen problem but it doesn’t have a web browser so I guess no one cares there. It’d probably bother me on the mini for about a week

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does anyone make a backbone style controller for an iPad that anyone has tried? I’ve got an air 4 and kind of want to play some games like it’s a giant overpowered Switch.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

Does anyone make a backbone style controller for an iPad that anyone has tried? I’ve got an air 4 and kind of want to play some games like it’s a giant overpowered Switch.
I have a Gamevice for my iPad Pro 10.5” which is okay but doesn’t have all the buttons of a PlayStation controller which made emulation of some games a little tricky. (Only one set of triggers and no Start/Select equivalent). Still fine for a lot of Steam Deck stuff depending on the game.

The buttons and sticks etc. also feel “okay” but I wish someone would make something high quality as a controller grip. That, or for the next Steam Deck to not have a super thick bezel around the screen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How are used iPads that aren't apple certified? I have some a bunch of amazon fun money and, as long as the screen is relatively scratch free, I'm willing to get something used to save even more dough. Are there any other risks taken with getting Amazon Certified or simply just "used" grade iPads?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That seems like a dice roll either way

E: just asked someone I know who does Amazon selling and she said Amazon certified is usually a good deal and if something’s wrong they’ll refund it no questions.

Buying used from a random seller may be more of a tossup

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 13, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah buying used from amazon is pretty safe because their return policy is very generous

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Mister Facetious posted:

So, iPad pro 11" 128gb is CAD $1000, iPad Air 256gb is CAD $950. Twice the storage, half the refresh rate, half the speakers. And a tenth of an inch smaller screen.

🤔

I was planning on an Air, but went with the 11” Pro for this reason. The benefits of 120Hz and nicer speakers outweigh the 128GB storage loss for me. Hopefully Apple accepts my 5th gen iPad with a small dent in it as a trade in to knock $130 off.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

buglord posted:

How are used iPads that aren't apple certified? I have some a bunch of amazon fun money and, as long as the screen is relatively scratch free, I'm willing to get something used to save even more dough. Are there any other risks taken with getting Amazon Certified or simply just "used" grade iPads?

I would also look into Swappa because even though it’s used you’ll get a ton of pictures and will know exactly the condition the device is in before you buy it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread. I initially asked this in the Android tablet thread, and they sent me straight here instead, so here I am to ask this question. Could you please recommend me a tablet for my wife? She rents a space at a local business, and is looking for something to take Square payments on, run an Office/Excel equivalent on, and use for events and social media posting. Budget is the name of the game for this one, otherwise, I'm a desktop jockey, and she hasn't had a tablet in almost a decade, so we're way behind the times on what to look for. Any advice, links, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Base iPad should be more than fine for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, thread. I initially asked this in the Android tablet thread, and they sent me straight here instead, so here I am to ask this question. Could you please recommend me a tablet for my wife? She rents a space at a local business, and is looking for something to take Square payments on, run an Office/Excel equivalent on, and use for events and social media posting. Budget is the name of the game for this one, otherwise, I'm a desktop jockey, and she hasn't had a tablet in almost a decade, so we're way behind the times on what to look for. Any advice, links, etc, would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're fine just getting an iPad or an iPad mini, the mini might be better if she wants it to be the most portable for taking payments (does come at a cost premium over the base iPad). It sounds like the only reason you need storage is for the office/excel documents you mention, so if that's stuff that's hosted online/in the cloud the base storage is fine, but you likely want cellular connectivity for the Square functionality I imagine. That's pretty much it, it's hard to gently caress up with Apple products.

Buying a refurbished model from Apple themselves (and NO ONE ELSE) is fine, get AppleCare (the extended warranty). If you can afford it, buying the most recent model is recommended (the base iPad and mini have been around for awhile so there should be refurbished options of both of these available for the latest models) simply because that way it'll get support for longer (ie: five years instead of four). It really doesn't sound like your use case is gonna stress the system much.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If she has an Office subscription then you can skimp on storage and use OneDrive, just for longevity and compactness I'd lean towards the new iPad mini tbh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am in basically the exact same spot as your wife. I run a business on an iPad, I take square payments and I do MS office with office365

Square works really well on the iPad, no drama when you have a customer standing in front of you waiting with their card.

Same with office365, I don’t know how many people work with your wife, but at my business it’s just me, and you can get hosted Outlook, and the office suite for $5 a month under a certain headcount.

I also do contract signing on the iPad with the apple pencil and a PDF contract in Office365. I just copy a blank contract into a new folder with the customer name and have them sign it with the markup function. Works fantastic and since I’m in IT it looks much better to have a sleek iPad contract than a stack of paper

I run it all on an iPad Air 4 and it’s fantastic.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 16, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am in basically the exact same spot as your wife. I run a business on an iPad, I take square payments and I do MS office with office365

Square works really well on the iPad, no drama when you have a customer standing in front of you waiting with their card.

Same with office365, I don’t know how many people work with your wife, but at my business it’s just me, and you can get hosted Outlook, and the office suite for $5 a month under a certain headcount.

I also do contract signing on the iPad with the apple pencil and a PDF contract in Office365. I just copy a blank contract into a new folder with the customer name and have them sign it with the markup function. Works fantastic and since I’m in IT it looks much better to have a sleek iPad contract than a stack of paper

I run it all on an iPad Air 4 and it’s fantastic.

if this is appealing to OP, the mini supports the Pencil 2 instead of the Pencil 1 so it's a much better experience (magnetically clip pencil to side instead of sticking it in the port to charge like an ipad pencil dick).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think if she's going to be doing word processing and spreadsheets and poo poo that a Mini isn't a good option, and they should perhaps opt for an Air if the Pencil 2 vs. 1 is a major consideration.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The air 4 takes the pencil 2. It sticks to the side and charges. The air 4 has a USB-C port, so it can’t charge the gen 1 pencil at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also, I know Mini vs Non-Mini is a contentious argument in this thread, but I will say this:

If this ipad is going to be a customer-facing work-first ipad, get a full sized one, either entry level, Air, or M1 Pro, doesnt matter. Customers will want to see the Square screen. Either for verification of the total, or to enter their email address for receipts, or whatever. I've had customers (mostly older folks, granted) have a hard time seeing even the Air. I think a mini would make the problem worse. If its for customer-facing work, get the thing that will make your customers lives easier.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If people are having a hard time seeing the green on an Air they need an optometrist, not a bigger screen.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 16, 2022

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sounds like it could be a UX problem with the Square app too. If it isn't already, it sounds like it should be customizable or something to fit different store layouts or whatnot.

Granted I don't know what it looks like so it could be huge and people really do just need an optometrist.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
MKBHD posted the M1 Air review.

Surprise: It's a M1 iPad and is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHNannxolo&hd=1

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ijyt posted:

If people are having a hard time seeing the green on an Air they need an optometrist, not a bigger screen.

Yeah old people have constant eye problems, at least the 60+ year old's I work with. Eye leaking, lasik surgery, stopping what they're doing to put their face close to the screen while looking down their glasses

I hope my eyesight doesn't degrade that much when I'm old

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Apple Release the purple big pro

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah old people have constant eye problems, at least the 60+ year old's I work with. Eye leaking, lasik surgery, stopping what they're doing to put their face close to the screen while looking down their glasses

I hope my eyesight doesn't degrade that much when I'm old

It will, and it's normal. Maybe not eye leaking, but as you turn 40, your near sight will degrade (far sight can stay totally fine), and you'll almost certainly need reading glasses at some point. Sorry you have to learn this way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also you aren’t going to tell your customers to get glasses because they can’t see your iPad mini

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

hatty posted:

Apple Release the purple big pro

Can we nickname it the people eater?

Endless Mike posted:

It will, and it's normal. Maybe not eye leaking, but as you turn 40, your near sight will degrade (far sight can stay totally fine), and you'll almost certainly need reading glasses at some point. Sorry you have to learn this way.

Also sunglasses, UV protection delays cataracts which almost all of us will get. You gotta wear them from the time you're a kid to have any chance at never getting them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ijyt posted:

"Tell your customers to gently caress off until they see a doctor" is a fantastic business model

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'm 33 and I'm nearsighted and have a slight astigmatism, and I never had glasses till middle school and I'm 33 now. Last time I went to the eye doctor, my eyesight got better?? The doctor said that happens sometimes??

I can see fine close up but I did notice a slight change in wearing glasses at my gaming pc that blades of grass were better defined. I usually always have sunglasses available, and use them often, along with the blue tint on my glasses too when I can.

It's really currently only an issue if I want to read text 20-30' away that I need the glasses without squinting.

I really doubt something so drastic would change in 6 years

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DoomTrainPhD posted:

MKBHD posted the M1 Air review.

Surprise: It's a M1 iPad and is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHNannxolo&hd=1

Good video. Unfortunately I think Apple just price laddered me out of a sale with the storage options. :sigh:

I guess I’ll wait and see what the cheapest M2 Pro is like in the fall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm 33 and I'm nearsighted and have a slight astigmatism, and I never had glasses till middle school and I'm 33 now. Last time I went to the eye doctor, my eyesight got better?? The doctor said that happens sometimes??

I can see fine close up but I did notice a slight change in wearing glasses at my gaming pc that blades of grass were better defined. I usually always have sunglasses available, and use them often, along with the blue tint on my glasses too when I can.

It's really currently only an issue if I want to read text 20-30' away that I need the glasses without squinting.

I really doubt something so drastic would change in 6 years
I think you're misunderstanding or I didn't explain properly? It's not like you will turn 40 and suddenly you won't be able to see and will need reading glasses, just that things very close to your face will start to be blurry, and this will slowly get worse the older you get. "Some point" could be another decade or even two beyond then. Again, this is a normal part of aging.

https://www.aoa.org/healthy-eyes/eye-health-for-life/adult-vision-41-to-60-years-of-age?sso=y

Anyway, iPads!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Obviously you get the 12.9” iPad Pro 2TB and just write it off as a business expense.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

BGrifter posted:

Good video. Unfortunately I think Apple just price laddered me out of a sale with the storage options. :sigh:

I guess I’ll wait and see what the cheapest M2 Pro is like in the fall.
Isn’t it basically the same prices as the last gen Air?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I've got Universal Control working to share the keyboard/trackpad on my MacBook over to the iPad, but can't seem to go the opposite direction (use iPad connected keyboard to type on my Mac). Is this not possible to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I've got Universal Control working to share the keyboard/trackpad on my MacBook over to the iPad, but can't seem to go the opposite direction (use iPad connected keyboard to type on my Mac). Is this not possible to do?

correct, it all stems from the mac and bleeds over to other macs/ipads, not the other way around