Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cephas posted:

I wish this game had Final Fantasy XIV's level scaling for co-op. Nerf my stats temporarily and let me hop into a lower level player's world!

it does
if you use password matching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vermain posted:

what if i told you there was a way to farm 200k runes in like, 5 minutes and you can access it as early as liurnia

Not even 5 minute. 90 seconds tops if you have the rune talisman

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Second playthrough and there is again a conspicuous lack of #3 smithing stones on the overworld. Plenty of 4's and 5's. Have to b-line to that Altus location again for the bell bearing

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Macaluso posted:

There's where the sentence should actually stop

Eh it just feels kind of whack that some fights are slam your dick in the door frustrating for a whole normal style of play, while another just explodes them with little effort and never really stops.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Consensus is pretty clear that power-stance greatswords is what I've been missing! I love the brutal simplicity of giant mace but it's also become a little stale, so I guess it's time to actually check out some of these dozens of cool-rear end swords I've been immediately chucking into my bag and forgetting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol ffs you can still roll out of status effect procs if you time it right, they didn't fix that from DS3

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Anyone going Dex/Faith should look into the Black Knife. The weapon art is carrying me pretty hard right now, even dodgy enemies can't really avoid it and it does great damage at a safe range. Combined with lightning incantations I've finally managed to transition to mostly miracle combat.

I'm dual-wielding it with a sacred knife and a full combo buzz-saws through things in melee too. Daggers suck by themselves but when you dual-wield they do about 3-4 hits per L1 attack. The limited range and low stagger are definitely a pain when going up against chunky high-armor guys. Luckily they tend to be weak to sword beams.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 9, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

All the Dark Souls games had balance patches. In unpatched DS1, the crystal ring shield was idiotically strong and could do 1400 damage per shot.
in unpatched ds1, dark woodgrain ring could turn midroll into a better fastroll(cue ninjaflipping havels everywhere) and Iron Flesh had no movement penalty whatsoever

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s not really a balance patch. That’s nerfing a thing.
that's one of the two common forms of balance changes that happen. if you patch the game and nerf/buff things, it's a balance patch

CharlestheHammer posted:

This is a hilarious point because it makes two contradictory points in back to back sentences.

They made the game both to easy and to hard.

They shouldn’t make the game easier unless it’s easier in a way I’m comfortable with
you have to willfully misinterpret that post to think they're saying that.

they're saying that the game is too easy with spirt summons, and too hard without them. considering how strong they are, a lot of players are probably at a level of skill where this is true!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not even 5 minute. 90 seconds tops if you have the rune talisman

Where is this? I'm compulsively buying literally every item I can find just to have a full collection in my inventory. Probably spent 5 levels of runes in the 60s at least just buying spells I don't use.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

I am just absolute hard loving stopped at Renalla. This might just be it for me, and time to admit I'm just not good enough for this game. If I can't beat her, how the heck can I expect to beat anything that comes after her?

People said I'm supposed to outlast the summons, but she brings in another one while the first one is still fighting me over and over. I can't use other players against her, my own summons can't keep up with her to damage her and then die the minute she uses her moon, I can barely ever even hit her because she is constantly, constantly running away, and if I try to push myself to actually do so, well, a single solid hit from her instantly kills me. And I'm quite overleveled for this fight, I just don't get what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. Even if I could completely avoid getting hit, all her attacks have little trailing bits that would eventually wear me down due to attrition because I just can't stay close enough to deal any damage. Every fight up until this has been easy enough, but this is just, ugh. I don't even see how getting stronger would even help at this point, I'm just not fast enough to keep up with her unlike other bosses she never seems to actually stop simultaneously moving & attacking (except for when she's way way out of range). And having to go through the whole bit leading up to her is just so unbelievably frustrating.

You can just skip Renalla, come back with another 30 levels, and annihilate her. That said she's probably in the bottom half of bosses, great enemy/legend designated ones anyway.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Draconic Tree Sentinel was fun, just a classic Souls boss. that whole area is like hey here's that enemy from a while ago but now you've gotten good and they have no chance

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im at what i assumed was the final boss and beat it after dying a bunch of times and then theres another boss right after it and im out of flasks. godamn what a punch in the dick.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GlyphGryph posted:

I am just absolute hard loving stopped at Renalla. This might just be it for me, and time to admit I'm just not good enough for this game. If I can't beat her, how the heck can I expect to beat anything that comes after her?
honestly it's hard to figure out exactly what you're doing wrong without seeing it. if you're able to record video of you fighting her, it could be helpful for people giving pointers.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

IronicDongz posted:

in unpatched ds1, dark woodgrain ring could turn midroll into a better fastroll(cue ninjaflipping havels everywhere) and Iron Flesh had no movement penalty whatsoever

Didn't they tone down Tranquil Walk Of Peace + Wrath Of God nastiness too? That used to be so cruel to do to people.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You don't have to wait out Rennala's summons. If you just get all up in her face and use an ashe that can also hit her she has so little poise you can either stunlock her or just damage race her long before she gets to summon.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The difficulty in this game is masterful. True on the fly player selected difficulty. Too hard? You have one billion options in this situation and if you want the challenge it is always there for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Captain Oblivious posted:

If that’s what you think your response did I suppose :allears:

What are you just typing words randomly

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Where is this? I'm compulsively buying literally every item I can find just to have a full collection in my inventory. Probably spent 5 levels of runes in the 60s at least just buying spells I don't use.

From the Caelem ruins grace site in Caleid, head east, following the canyon on your left. the canon will turn southward, keep following it keeping the canyon on your left. you'll come to a ledge you can drop off, and if you look left you'll see trees hanging out over the canyon. from there you should be able to see a cave entrance, so cross the ravine using the trees. bring some scarlet rot heals as the cave is filled with it. talisman is reward for killing the boss, i think its like 15-20% more runes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I beat Rennala by whipping her relentlessly because she seems to flinch very easily. She smoked me first try, then second I went super aggressive and she only summoned one opponent.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Lover ahead therefore try beating to a pulp

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i hate this final boss

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

The Walrus posted:

The difficulty in this game is masterful. True on the fly player selected difficulty. Too hard? You have one billion options in this situation and if you want the challenge it is always there for you.

nah the final bunch of bosses suck

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What are you just typing words randomly

Have you had a stroke recently?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

JBP posted:

I beat Rennala by whipping her relentlessly because she seems to flinch very easily. She smoked me first try, then second I went super aggressive and she only summoned one opponent.

My first try I had to sit there for like two minutes while the worthless trash mobs slowly stoned me to death with books because she was glitched out and the battle wouldn't start.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone know what the sacred butterfly knife is? I got it off an NPC invader on the bridge of inequity. Absolutely cannot find it in my iventory and even goodie isn’t helping.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Thread title. It could be an amulet, I've been confused by that a few times.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone know what the sacred butterfly knife is? I got it off an NPC invader on the bridge of inequity. Absolutely cannot find it in my iventory and even goodie isn’t helping.

Do you mean sacred butchering knife? It's a weapon

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Whoever decided to put the magma wyrm inside the small room at the end of that tunnel is a real piece of poo poo.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Vermain posted:

what if i told you there was a way to farm 200k runes in like, 5 minutes and you can access it as early as liurnia

Baiting the bird off the cliff?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Lol this mechanic in the optional mountain town where there's just invisible assassins that can stun you and take half your health is absolutely loving stupid as poo poo. Is there an item I can use to see these assholes or am I literally just supposed to either swing and hope I hit them or run?

edit: Nevermind I guess it doesn't matter, your progress is saved with the lanterns and you can safely pick up your poo poo outside of the Gaol

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 9, 2022

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

IronicDongz posted:

honestly it's hard to figure out exactly what you're doing wrong without seeing it. if you're able to record video of you fighting her, it could be helpful for people giving pointers.

Well she's dead now because for whatever reason this time around she didn't constantly fly away and she limited herself to summoning one dude at a time. It gets a lot easier when there isn't both a blood knight and dragon trying to murder you at the same time she's lasering you.

I also switched to a heavy weapon (since after one hit she jumps away, gotta maximize that damage) and switched to anti-magic armor which I should have done forever ago and which let me actually survive spells that would have killed me. Altogether it was enough to push me over the edge... and I even forgot to activate my great rune this time!

Also, why is she still alive, I've killed her twice! I don't care if she is weirdly friendly now for no perceivable reason, I want her to be dead and her entire castle to be leveled. >:|

hazardousmouse posted:

Bruh gently caress these hero dungeons and their chariots.

Pages late, but these things are so satisfying to destroy.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 9, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh my God this Malenia fight. Lol.

Lmao. Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh my God this Malenia fight. Lol.

Lmao. Hahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha

Welcome to one move rng hell

Edit: She doesn't heal on parry

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo Miquella’s Haligtree is the worst designed level I’ve ever seen. This poo poo is almost retroactively making me hate this game, and I really loved the first 90%.

Why is there always some exceedingly terrible bullshit like this in every one of these goddamned things.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Tip for anyone like me who wants to do Varre's quest but doesn't really like PvP or invading people. If you're near the endgame, just invade outside the Fire Giant's boss area. I invaded 3 times and every time I got in and kicked out within 3 seconds because the person I invaded started the boss encounter. Still counted towards progressing the quest.

Macaluso posted:

Lol this mechanic in the optional mountain town where there's just invisible assassins that can stun you and take half your health is absolutely loving stupid as poo poo. Is there an item I can use to see these assholes or am I literally just supposed to either swing and hope I hit them or run?

edit: Nevermind I guess it doesn't matter, your progress is saved with the lanterns and you can safely pick up your poo poo outside of the Gaol

There's a torch you can buy that lets you see invisible assassins when you're holding it. It helps a lot. It's called the Sentry's Torch. I forgot where I bought it. Also when you kill the invisible assassin he doesn't respawn.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

None of the balance patches have effected me. I don’t think I’ve ever used a broken ability in a souls game.

The closest I’ve used is that really powerful sword in DS1 but I don’t think they ever changed that.

If it did effect me I wouldn’t care all that much

Yeah but you were trying to argue that From doesn't really do balance patches. They do, they just haven't nerfed things you liked to use, apparently. Just because the things you like didn't get adjusted doesn't mean there weren't nerfs (and some buffs in DS3, to be fair).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Willfrey posted:

From the Caelem ruins grace site in Caleid, head east, following the canyon on your left. the canon will turn southward, keep following it keeping the canyon on your left. you'll come to a ledge you can drop off, and if you look left you'll see trees hanging out over the canyon. from there you should be able to see a cave entrance, so cross the ravine using the trees. bring some scarlet rot heals as the cave is filled with it. talisman is reward for killing the boss, i think its like 15-20% more runes

Woah, neat! I totally missed this
it's kind of funny coming back to an old area and giga overleveling the boss: https://streamable.com/yfao5e

Also yeah that damage is just with the minimum int to wield the sword, I dunno why people were saying it was weak! It would hit even harder at 50 int I think

Barudak
May 7, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Holy poo poo Miquella’s Haligtree is the worst designed level I’ve ever seen. This poo poo is almost retroactively making me hate this game, and I really loved the first 90%.

Why is there always some exceedingly terrible bullshit like this in every one of these goddamned things.

I mean its the super hidden ultra optional tougher than the main game dungeon.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

GlyphGryph posted:

Well she's dead now because for whatever reason this time around she didn't constantly fly away and she limited herself to summoning one dude at a time. It gets a lot easier when there isn't both a blood knight and dragon trying to murder you at the same time she's lasering you.

I also switched to a heavy weapon (since after one hit she jumps away, gotta maximize that damage) and switched to anti-magic armor which I should have done forever ago and which let me actually survive spells that would have killed me. Altogether it was enough to push me over the edge... and I even forgot to activate my great rune this time!

Also, why is she still alive, I've killed her twice! I don't care if she is weirdly friendly now for no perceivable reason, I want her to be dead and her entire castle to be leveled. >:|

Pages late, but these things are so satisfying to destroy.

Honestly sounds like it was glitched before. I fought her phase 2 many times because I hadn’t been ashes-pilled yet and never saw overlapping summons. And she was always extremely passive while they were out, maybe flung off one spell at the very tail end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Are you for real lmao