Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

gyro aiming is bad actually

Your username suits you perfectly.

Gyro aiming at high sensitivity, in Doom, really feels very close to mouse aiming. Obviously not quite the same but wow, accurate.

Plus, using an 8bitdo SNES30 Pro + helps, since that feels so nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gyro aiming haters still think you’re talking about the Wiimote because they have doo doo brains and cannot embrace the power of the switch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gyro aiming haters still think you’re talking about the Wiimote because they have doo doo brains and cannot embrace the power of the switch

I've said this many times before but gyro aiming RE4 is so much better than the Wii's "point at the bar" aiming, and it's not even close.

Wish gyro was an option with the Switch RE4 :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gyro aiming is fine and I think should be an option in many more games since some people work better with gyro than dual-stick (and some vice-versa but you're already set there so don't be selfish or scared of being fragged by gyro users).

loving weird that it hasn't spread to the other consoles while Switch players demand it in their games. You'd think the companies that gladly copied motion controls from the Wii's success would at least implement gyro, especially since I'm pretty sure the newer PS consoles support it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I aim to get a gyro next time I go to a greek cafe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyro is extremely good. It's not as fast or accurate as m+kb, but it helps close the gap. Sticks for the broad movement, gyro for precision. Dunno why anyone would resist using it barring a wrist disability.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Wiimote aiming was better than gyro aiming :heysexy:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Gyro is extremely good. It's not as fast or accurate as m+kb, but it helps close the gap. Sticks for the broad movement, gyro for precision. Dunno why anyone would resist using it barring a wrist disability.

It's not as fast and accurate but it feels so much better. It's really kinesthetically immersive in a way that sliding a mouse around a pad just can't match

Splatoon was really the first game that got it right and it's basically a perfectly intuitive use.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mega64 posted:

Gyro aiming is fine and I think should be an option in many more games since some people work better with gyro than dual-stick (and some vice-versa but you're already set there so don't be selfish or scared of being fragged by gyro users).

loving weird that it hasn't spread to the other consoles while Switch players demand it in their games. You'd think the companies that gladly copied motion controls from the Wii's success would at least implement gyro, especially since I'm pretty sure the newer PS consoles support it.

Probably thinking back to the sixaxis and games like Lair where the gyro was bad enough they patched in controller support

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanks!

Edit— you assholes convinced me to spend $10 on Doom (2016), thanks a fuckin’ lot. <:mad:>

Edit again— also bought Doom (1993), to further my quest of owning Doom on as many platforms as possible.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 8, 2022

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Okay so lets say I impulse buy a Switch OLED today: what's a simple/durable case for it? I ask because apparently it won't fit my current and cool Tomtoc case.

Any recommends?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I'm using tilt controls!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Morter posted:

Okay so lets say I impulse buy a Switch OLED today: what's a simple/durable case for it? I ask because apparently it won't fit my current and cool Tomtoc case.

Any recommends?

I use this thing and it's fine. I prefer sleeves to throw in my backpack over hard cases.

Here's the :retrogames: option:
https://www.sfbags.com/collections/gaming-cases/products/nintendo-switch-pouch#judgeme_product_reviews

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
One that I dislike about splatoon 2 is it essentially makes you make a choice between gyro and stick aiming for no real reason

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Wiimote aiming was better than gyro aiming :heysexy:

Sure, until you lost the signal or, I don't know, literally any incandescent light got in viewing distance.

Gyro doesn't deal with any of that stuff.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno why anyone would resist using it barring a wrist disability.

Brain disabilities.

The few times I've tried to dance it takes all my focus to keep my feet moving in like a 1-2-3-4 pattern roughly on rhythm. To the point where I'm not even aware that my torso or hands or surroundings even exist. Gyro aiming triggers a similar confusion where if that's all I want to think about I could probably make it work but oh yeah I've got a guy that needs to move and maybe I'm being shot at.

Meanwhile I can play guitar just fine without thinking about it (minus the recent debilitating tendonitis). :iiam:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

One that I dislike about splatoon 2 is it essentially makes you make a choice between gyro and stick aiming for no real reason

What?

What's the third option? Remembering that both sticks are already doing different things when you use gyro. It essentially has 3 simultaneous axes of control

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
You can use both of them to complement each other? It's real good. In nerdy fps grognak terms you use the sticks for arm aiming (large broad turns)and the gyro for wrist aiming (quick micro adjustments). You still use the sticks for X axis movement in splatoon gyro but for no real reason it disables y axis movement which is super annoying in levels with a lot of vertical movement

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

F-Zero X this Friday! :woop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress yyyyyweeeeessss!

Edit: vvvvv unironically agreed.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 9, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

See, who needs Eldin Ring?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is this the Fzero Rammers I've heard so much about??

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Insane they're actually releasing fzero. Nintendo hit the panic button for sure

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Can’t believe there will be two F-Zero games on Switch.

Some franchises just never die.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Morter posted:

Any recommends?
Similarly, I've filled up the game card slots in my current Switch case, what's the best option if I want to be able to continue to carry my full collection around with me and I don't necessarily want to exclude buying more physical games? Preferably something that can fit in a laptop bag with my Switch case.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

true

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I've been playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and that game is more fun than I expected.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Commander Keene posted:

Similarly, I've filled up the game card slots in my current Switch case, what's the best option if I want to be able to continue to carry my full collection around with me and I don't necessarily want to exclude buying more physical games? Preferably something that can fit in a laptop bag with my Switch case.

I’ve got one of these things, I like it:

HORI Game Card Case 24 for... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NASY99Z?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/valhallakingdom/status/1501363521958789123?s=21

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

I’m going to probably upgrade just because of this. Is Starfox on there too? :allears:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

eightysixed posted:

I’m going to probably upgrade just because of this. Is Starfox on there too? :allears:

Affirmative, general

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

wuddup with Splatoon 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

You still use the sticks for X axis movement in splatoon gyro but for no real reason it disables y axis movement which is super annoying in levels with a lot of vertical movement

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I wonder how many years they had this video ready to post

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

You can use both of them to complement each other? It's real good. In nerdy fps grognak terms you use the sticks for arm aiming (large broad turns)and the gyro for wrist aiming (quick micro adjustments). You still use the sticks for X axis movement in splatoon gyro but for no real reason it disables y axis movement which is super annoying in levels with a lot of vertical movement

Splatoon doesn't work the way most people describe gyro. For example, Breath of the Wild uses gyro for micro adjustments with the right stick to aim. This works for BOTW because you aren't constantly aiming with gyro, and it "recenters" your gyro whenever you begin aiming.

With Splatoon, the gyro is always on, so they made the (imo) smarter decision to make the stick only for changing orientation (i.e. turning left and right), and the gyro is for all aiming, not just microa djustments. This way tilting your controller to aim vertically has more consistent angles (easier to aim via muscle memory) without causing it to veer off because your control stick angle was slightly up or down.

That said, Splatoon should have a third option for controlling the camera that works like BOTW does because people like it when gyro controls like that, but Splatoon's way works for Splatoon, and I honestly think something like it should be the default for shooters where you are always aiming.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hate the way Splatoon 2 does gyro, it’s the most unintuitive use of it I’ve ever played. IMO!!!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

flavor.flv posted:

I wonder how many years they had this video ready to post

probably 69 years.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Nice.....long time for rammers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've only played Splatoon 2 during those weekends when it's free but I didn't actually like the gyro there. It felt limited but I can't remember why. Is it something like you can only move on one axis and need the stick for the other? Or is it the other way around where the right stick won't help you aim either vertically or horizontally and you HAVE to use gyro?

Gyro is at its best when it's fully complimenting stick aiming; not when it's taking over.