Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Sue was my waifu and I'm not sure how I feel about her being a tree now.

I’m not happy about it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Harton posted:

I’m not happy about it either

I'm holding out hope that they can get Sue to come back from being a tree. Maybe slap some leeches on it, then cut to Sue back to normal.

No, I'm not just blindly holding out hope because she was my favorite character, shut up.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The tree should just have a mullet and some genitals so Marcus can still lay with his wife

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Marcus just needs to pop a rib out and plant it to grow a new Sue

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Have they actually confirmed the existence of modern English on ancient Kepler this episode? Grandma is fluent in it and Sue sings an English lullaby that opens the seed box.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

GABA ghoul posted:

Have they actually confirmed the existence of modern English on ancient Kepler this episode? Grandma is fluent in it and Sue sings an English lullaby that opens the seed box.

There's nothing in the show implying this is actually English, English is just the language that it's presented in for our viewing convenience. The only thing that's implied about the language in-universe is that it's not Mithraic.

Just like in a billion other movies, foreigners either speak English to each other all the time or after the movies goes through a few scenes with subtitles under the actual language in order to make it clear to the audience that they're really supposed to speak the foreign language.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
I just like that their universe has ancient mithraic language that’s programmed into super killer android just in case.

Also every arc ship where space is super precious should come with a dedicated torture chamber.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
The box could have responded to the tune, not the words.
The robot, a wizard dark photons did it.
(because angels can speak any language)

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 9, 2022

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Niamh Algar (Sue) was interviewed in this week’s Raised by Wolves companion podcast. She doesn’t really hint that she comes back or anything, but this show is so unpredictable that it wouldn’t be that out of place if she did. She was a great character. I liked how she understood Sol to be some sort of signal, rather than a divine being. I thought that tracked with her atheist beliefs.

I thought Sol’s voice sounded like the Trust, but I want to go listen to it again.

So we have dog-like humanoids (like the ones that lived in the giant snake holes and ate moss), the bipedal humanoids that wear clothing (like the one that lived in the cave, and the one that carried a Neanderthal skull in its bag), and the mer-people? I wonder what Grandmother meant when she asked how many humans are on the planet…

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't imagine this show will get another season but I just wanted to say that every single actor killed it and Marcus in particularly has a great "I'm crazy, but I'm not THIS crazy" face when poo poo gets dire. But everyone is great, no bad performances among them. Even the kids are good! (the characters can be rough, but the actors themselves are killin' it)

Also good for them for going absolutely out there on the plot. Really didn't like this latest development but I respect it.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

the new tree doesen't look as much like a baobab as other trees they picked fruit from this season (leaves on new one look more like a dragon's blood tree) but a couple of these stories seem sorta relevant

https://guyanachronicle.com/2012/04/07/in-the-green-corner-48/ posted:

The ghostly python
One gigantic Baobab in Zambia is said to be haunted by a ghostly python. Legend has it that before the White Man came, a large python lived in the hollow trunk and was worshipped by the local natives. When they prayed for rain, fine crops and good hunting, the python answered their prayers. The first white hunter that came shot the python, and this event led to disastrous consequences. On still nights, the natives claim to hear a continuous hissing sound emanating from the old tree.

Eater of maidens
One of the largest Baobabs in the Kafue National Park in Zambia is known as ‘Kondanamwali’ – the tree that eats maidens. Legend has it that this enormous tree fell in love with four beautiful girls who lived in its shade, but when they reached puberty, they sought husbands and made the tree jealous. One night, during a raging thunderstorm, the tree opened its trunk and took the maidens into a rest house that had been built in the branches of the tree. On stormy nights, it is the crying of those imprisoned maidens that make people inside tremble – not the sounds of the wild animals.

Befriend the tree
Some people believe that if you pick a flower from a Baobab tree, you will be eaten by a lion; but if you drink water in which a Baobab’s seeds have been soaked, you will be safe from crocodile attack. Certain tribes in the Transvaal wash baby boys in water soaked in the bark of a Baobab in order to make them grow up mighty and strong, like the Baobab.

Exceptional in life and death
Many references have made mention of the exceptional vitality of the Baobab tree, noting that even after the entire tree has been cut down, it simply re-sprouts from the root, and continues to grow. The same is noted of those trees that have been blown over in storms.
Despite its remarkable vitality, when the Baobab dies, it collapses into a heap of soggy, fibrous pulp. Stories exist of how such quickly decomposing trees spontaneously combust and get completely burnt up, the sure sign of magic to the people nearby.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why is sue on that poster twice?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Also spoils the face reveal they've been trailing for a couple of episodes, ah ha.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Why is sue on that poster twice?

She's just one of many you don't see pictured. When fruit drops from it they disperse seeds that sink into the ground and eventually grow into sue

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

There's nothing in the show implying this is actually English, English is just the language that it's presented in for our viewing convenience. The only thing that's implied about the language in-universe is that it's not Mithraic.

Showing my whole rear end here as someone who isn't paying nearly enough attention to this show: The Earth that everyone comes from is supposed to be our Earth though, right? Just way the gently caress off in the future? I mean, obviously we're not in a huge war between atheists and Mithraic forces, but real-world places (loving Boston, lmao) are mentioned and I think we even get a glimpse of Earth's familiar continents at some point. Just how much of an alternate universe they're in, I guess it's deliberately unclear.

In my defense, this show is loving wack.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Yeah, other than the ancient aliens stuff, it's supposed to be our Earth with the rise of the Mithraics sometime in our near future.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

I can't wait to see what milky robot mommy and snake baby get into this week.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hover Snake is going to eat the tree and turn into THREE Hover Snakes.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

No Pants posted:

Yeah, other than the ancient aliens stuff, it's supposed to be our Earth with the rise of the Mithraics sometime in our near future.

Is that last part something they've confirmed on the show? My question last season was if Mithraism in the timeframe of the show is a recent phenomenon, or it's an alternate history where Mithraism proliferated under the late Roman period instead of Christianity (e.g. history from ~300 AD to present looks slightly different.) I know there are in-universe comics and things speaking to the lore, but I forget if this season has validated any of that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Xealot posted:

Is that last part something they've confirmed on the show? My question last season was if Mithraism in the timeframe of the show is a recent phenomenon, or it's an alternate history where Mithraism proliferated under the late Roman period instead of Christianity (e.g. history from ~300 AD to present looks slightly different.) I know there are in-universe comics and things speaking to the lore, but I forget if this season has validated any of that.

The wiki says it arose in the 22nd century

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sue yells “Jesus!” in season one, so I just assume that Christianity existed as it always did, and the world’s major Abrahamic religions were usurped in the 21st/22nd century by the alien Mithraism cult from outer space with it’s dark photon sorcery and whatnot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CANNIBALISM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Gonz posted:

Hover Snake is going to eat the tree and turn into THREE Hover Snakes.

:stare:

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

hell, same

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
holy poo poo I wasn’t very wrong at all, “the entity”

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.
:wom:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Campion's first girlfriend was Jason Voorhees. Nice.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the snake has been weaponized. so cool

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
i like how sue tree told space ragnar she was dying like he was some sort of tree doctor

i dont like how snek didnt develop a mullet after eating her.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Best two lines of the episode:

"It is not a mother, it is a well fed male."

and

"You think Campion's hosed up by being raised by androids, how do you think this is gonna work out?"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sootikins posted:

I think it's just a "what if" applied to future fashions

I can totally see mullets, undercuts, and terribangs making another round. Campions is just...lack of upkeep. I don't think mother/father have hairdresser protocols installed because creator Campion had a buzz cut and wouldn't have considered it

Mullets are in right now among the young and hip, what are you talking about?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
ep blurb: "weaponized serpent"

:getin:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"do you want weaponized serpents? because that's how you get weaponized serpents."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh cool, there's a thread for this. But I haven't even finished the first season, so see you later space cowboy

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

wooger posted:

Mullets are in right now among the young and hip, what are you talking about?

I'm old and haven't been outside in like 2 years :colbert:

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/the_dadeleine/status/1498900745579597825?t=o5UZNPapRcl5iT8yZl3MsQ&s=19

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Holy gently caress Paul feeding people the brain fruit :barf: Paul please stop being the worst.

Holy gently caress that whole scene with Marcus realizing that Sol might be evil, tree Sue and the snake. :staredog:

lol the headless android flipping off Father after he was called useless.

Hunter did nothing wrong.

So this episode basically spells out that Sol is definitely manipulating a bunch of events to make the space snake and probably plans to take it over. idk why it wants to destroy the planet though. Also I'm not sure if it means physically destroy the planet or just make it uninhabitable for life / humans.

Gonz posted:

CANNIBALISM

It's an herbivore :v:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
The people who ate Sue’s brain fruit will turn into more trees to prepare for more snakes via parthenogenesis.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Goddammit I gotta stop clicking this thread on Thursday mornings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/RaisedWolvesMAX/status/1502011232039038980

:stare: