Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
IPS glow is part and parcel of having an IPS monitor, unless it was absolutely egregious and well outside the normal range. A dead pixel is not normal though. A dead pixel is a defect; and my expectation would be that if I purchased a monitor it would not be defective. I'd absolutely return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have noticed it is best to not buy IPS monitors if you hate the glow. Some make IPS monitors with a polarizer which reduces it, but they are rare.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

What if companies instead of selling crap decided to not sell crap? I got a Asus Zephyrus G14 I'm going to return because the display is warmer on one side than the other. Oh and I noticed backlight bleed in a corner (it has more but the corner was what I noticed first). I wouldn't be super surprised if the next G14 is worse.

Part of the reason I'm so reluctant to replace my desktop monitor is because I just know the odds of having to deal with this kind poo poo is way too high.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If you are returning monitors because, 'you can do better' when you receive a perfectly average panel, you are a huge prick.

wont someone think of the corporations (who voluntarily instituted a return policy)

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Thank for the feedback. The stuck pixel shows up as green on dark backgrounds, but I honestly have a tough time noticing it when playing elden ring this weekend. I'll probably try running a few more applications and see if it warrants trying to return it(more worried about the hassle then whether or not it makes me a bad person)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Amazon returns are not a hassle, and a monitor is something you'll probably have for 5 or 10 years. Start the process now and order another monitor now so you don't have to go without one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah lately they've even been doing cross-shipping of things

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Amazon returns are not a hassle, and a monitor is something you'll probably have for 5 or 10 years. Start the process now and order another monitor now so you don't have to go without one.

You seem to be mixing up "not a hassle" with "difficult to do". It is absolutely a hassle, they know it, that's why they put the burden to return and quality check on the customers as opposed to doing it themselves. The manufacturers should quality control their stuff better, and the retailers should be less tolerant of companies that have high returns. Oh and I suppose the consumers should be more picky and less "eh good enough, the next one might be worse".

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 6, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

In the last 2 years I have bought 4 monitors, and had to return zero of them. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I've had no dead or stuck pixels, and nothing but expectable levels of IPS glow and such.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CaptainSarcastic posted:

In the last 2 years I have bought 4 monitors, and had to return zero of them. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I've had no dead or stuck pixels, and nothing but expectable levels of IPS glow and such.

I also feel like i'm lucky, because i've bought bunches of monitors and lenses, two things that people seem to return often for defects, and have never had an issue.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
In my pool of 6 or so IPS displays, the MacBook I got from work is by far the worst. The rest are what us call firmly in the camp of 'average'

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m going to be totally honest here: I don’t know what IPS glow is, and I’m afraid to Google it to find out for fear that it’ll make me hate my existing IPS monitors.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

In my pool of 6 or so IPS displays, the MacBook I got from work is by far the worst. The rest are what us call firmly in the camp of 'average'

Which Macbook is this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

frogbs posted:

Which Macbook is this?

All of them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

frogbs posted:

Which Macbook is this?

Intel Mac 2020.

But also,

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 7, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

frogbs posted:

I also feel like i'm lucky, because i've bought bunches of monitors and lenses, two things that people seem to return often for defects, and have never had an issue.

because you only hear from the ones who had to return it, others just quietly keep using them

there definitely are manufacturers with worse QA though, and like with everything else it's good to buy from a store with good return policy in case you do get crap regardless

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I were to pick up a system for use as a HTPC, say it can do 4k@30hz via HDMI but 4k@60 via DP. Would a DP-HDMI cable work for 60hz given that the receiving end is capable?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

If I were to pick up a system for use as a HTPC, say it can do 4k@30hz via HDMI but 4k@60 via DP. Would a DP-HDMI cable work for 60hz given that the receiving end is capable?

it should but look specifically for mention of that in the cable or adapter description

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I'm wondering about that. Doesn't DP->HDMI usually operate by the graphics card detecting that and outputting HDMI signal out of the DP port, not by conversion. If the card is incapable of creating 4k@60 signal through the native HDMI port, why would it be able to create it through DP. My work laptop can produce 1440p through DP and I think I have tried DP-HDMI, but it wasn't able to go beyond 1080p.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a much bigger gently caress than it needs to be. We have several 4Ks at work and what a nuisance it can be trying to get 60hz on them, with relatively recent laptops (all Lenovo). I even have the fancy ~$300 dock for mine and no sir will it output 4k@60. Wait, I think I just answered my own question, because I think I did try a DP-HDMI and it didn't work. I have to run a USB C adapter off the laptop to get 60hz @ 4k

I just really want a living room PC as I have too much niche poo poo that cant be streamed easily via Roku or the Shield. I picked up wall plates to run a HDMI from my office to the living room (across the hall from each other, TV being on wall closest to office) but haven't gotten around to it. I picked them up on clearance too, so who wants to bet that they wont allow 4k@60 either.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
An active DP-HDMI adapter might work.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i have one of these (not this model, the class) which works. it’s why i suggested very explicitly looking for something that advertises this exact use case and even then the morass of standards and companies involved means you might need to try more than one

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.dell.com/premier/us/en/rc1378895/#/systems/details/aw3423dw-monitor/AW3423DWSAP

The QD-OLED ultrawide is now available for purchase, at $1307 + tax. This is 2 - 3x the price of typical monitors of this size and resolution, but it's using a new kind of OLED display that promises to have a better HDR image than any other monitor you could buy right now. This is through their premier program, but from what I can tell, anyone can buy it?

There are no detailed reviews yet, but this chinese youtuber somehow managed to get out a review?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9u6uhfgQw

There's nothing here to really say how much better or worse it is than other oled panels, but it does highlight that some of the typical oled issues are still present, like an automatic brightness limiter that turns down the screen's brightness when you enlarge a window with a white background. This is more or less expected, though in theory it should still be brighter, more vivid, and more burn-in resistant than LG oled panels with better text clarity too. Hopefully other reviewers who do more detailed analyses can review it soon. If this youtuber got one, the hopefully dell hasn't snubbed hardware unboxed.

(off topic, but I'm also impressed by how far youtube's auto translate has come for chinese speech)

edit: aaand it's out of stock lol

I had one ordered briefly but canceled it. I'm gonna wait on this. Apparently it was available for $980 for a brief period and people who got their order in kept it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 8, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

inshallah this is the dawn of the post LCD monitor era

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.dell.com/premier/us/en/rc1378895/#/systems/details/aw3423dw-monitor/AW3423DWSAP

The QD-OLED ultrawide is now available for purchase, at $1307 + tax. This is 2 - 3x the price of typical monitors of this size and resolution

Any other 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor with GSync is going to be $800+, so I'm not sure where you're getting 2-3x the price. If you try to go more apple-to-apples, an IPS with G-Sync Ultimate, instead of just G-Sync compatible, they are around $1100: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP950G-B-Ultragear-Response-Adjustable/dp/B097QF8CP3

A $200 premium to go from IPS to OLED, that's practically charity from Dell.

Edit 2: And don't forget, this is with a 3-year dead pixel and 3-year OLED burn-in warranty. I've used their warranty before and it's fantastic, they 2nd-day-air you a replacement upfront while you still have your first monitor. Compare that to like my Asus laptop warranty there they're like "oh your space bar stopped working? yeah mail the laptop in to us for 4 weeks, uh if you upgraded the ram then your warranty is void", which yeah I know that's false but not in the mood to argue over a work laptop.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 8, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Any other 3440 x 1440 ultrawide monitor with GSync is going to be $800+, so I'm not sure where you're getting 2-3x the price. If you try to go more apple-to-apples, an IPS with G-Sync Ultimate, instead of just G-Sync compatible, they are around $1100: https://www.amazon.com/LG-34GP950G-B-Ultragear-Response-Adjustable/dp/B097QF8CP3

A $200 premium to go from IPS to OLED, that's practically charity from Dell.

The cheaper monitors like the Gigabyte M34WQ and Dell S3422DWG are g-sync compatible too. They may not be certified by nvidia, but they do work with g-sync. That's the class of monitor I was comparing it to.

edit: I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I wanted to introduce context for the wider market. There are some much cheaper high-refresh 34" ultrawides out there, so this monitor needs to be dramatically better to justify its price (and it very well could be)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 8, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The cheaper monitors like the Gigabyte M34WQ and Dell S3422DWG are g-sync compatible too. They may not be certified by nvidia, but they do work with g-sync. That's the class of monitor I was comparing it to.

edit: I'm not saying it's not worth it, but I wanted to introduce context for the wider market. There are some much cheaper high-refresh 34" ultrawides out there, so this monitor needs to be dramatically better to justify its price (and it very well could be)

That other Dell is VA which isn't comparable to anything really, as VA is poo poo and I don't get how people can stand it, for me it's nearly as bad as TN. The Gigabyte seems like a nice value, though I think without the Gsync chip in it, there's some small compromise to latency or refresh range or overdrive or something. Entirely possible that no one call tell the difference. But Dell paid extra to put NVidia's controller chip in there which has it's own vram and poo poo like that so it's gotta be good for something?

The downside to the Dell OLED is probably that it's going to be a "no going back" panel, like with IPS where once I owned it I could never go back to TN/VA. Being on an OLED 4K laptop for the last two years I know I can't ever go back to a non-OLED now. The blacks and uniformity are just too juicy, especially since I do nearly everything in Dark Mode. Dark Mode at nighttime with inky black desktop and no backlight bleed is serious QOL, as is the extreme pixel response rate.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 8, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there are some good va monitors out there. (there are actually some pretty decent tn panels but i digress). lol at lumping tn and va panels together though

frankly i find ips glow infuriating sometimes even on good monitors.

it’s almost like people value different things at different times

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sphyre posted:

inshallah this is the dawn of the post LCD monitor era

it'll be a slow dawn tbh. samsung is reportedly not going to even decide whether or not they'll build additional qd-oled fabs until next year. there's a lot of room for growing production through increasing yields (they're at sub-30% while LG fabs are like 90% or more), but don't expect much variety in display types for a couple years, even if samsung decides to invest in more fabs. and they might not. if yields don't improve much then they'll probably invest in some of the other emerging display techs instead.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

The QD-OLED ultrawide is now available for purchase, at $1307 + tax. This is 2 - 3x the price of typical monitors of this size and resolution, but it's using a new kind of OLED display that promises to have a better HDR image than any other monitor you could buy right now. This is through their premier program, but from what I can tell, anyone can buy it?

There are no detailed reviews yet, but this chinese youtuber somehow managed to get out a review?

There's nothing here to really say how much better or worse it is than other oled panels, but it does highlight that some of the typical oled issues are still present, like an automatic brightness limiter that turns down the screen's brightness when you enlarge a window with a white background. This is more or less expected, though in theory it should still be brighter, more vivid, and more burn-in resistant than LG oled panels with better text clarity too. Hopefully other reviewers who do more detailed analyses can review it soon. If this youtuber got one, the hopefully dell hasn't snubbed hardware unboxed.

(off topic, but I'm also impressed by how far youtube's auto translate has come for chinese speech)

I had one ordered briefly but canceled it. I'm gonna wait on this. Apparently it was available for $980 for a brief period and people who got their order in kept it.
"Add to cart" button isn't actually a button, and

quote:

Estimated Ship Date 1/1/0001

I'm guessing you have to have an actual Dell Premier account.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I still have one in my cart, I wonder if I can still buy it, looks like it would let me.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Rusty posted:

I still have one in my cart, I wonder if I can still buy it, looks like it would let me.

You can always toss it up on ebay for $1800!

(don't do this)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the point of VRR/freesync on a 4k-60hz display?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deuce posted:

You can always toss it up on ebay for $1800!

(don't do this)
I want to buy one, but I wanted to see someone review it first, kind of weird none of the big youtubers have it to review.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does anyone make a 40in+ 5k 16:9? I know Dell has the 43" 4K.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats the point of VRR/freesync on a 4k-60hz display?

I'm guessing it will look a little smoother until it hits the display's minimum refresh rate. 4k in a lot of games is still hard to keep a solid 60hz at unless you're spending $1k or more on a GPU, so it may be relevant.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I ordered an AW3423DW as soon as I saw the Premier link, and then cancelled that and re-ordered last night for the $980 price.

The latter one shipped this morning and is scheduled for Thursday delivery and now I am just really hoping that Dell does not reverse the shipment and cancel my order.

Buying a C8 OLED TV in 2018 pretty much ruined IPS monitors for me, to the point where I do 90% of my PC gaming on my TV with a controller now and only use my 34GK950F for work.

I am really excited for the OLED gaming monitor era to begin and hope I do not regret buying this sight unseen, but the 3 year warranty and "sale price" definitely made it easier to roll the dice.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Deuce posted:

"Add to cart" button isn't actually a button, and

I'm guessing you have to have an actual Dell Premier account.

It's either out of stock now, or they fixed it and made it so it's no longer available to everyone. I had one ordered on a guest account (for $1300) before I canceled it. I probably wouldn't have canceled if I had gotten the $980 price, but oh well.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I was really excited about that qd-oled monitor and now that I can buy it Im not sure I want to spend the money. Still deciding whether that's a good or bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just want it in flat 27" because 27" 4K seems to be an afterthought.