Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
beat the game and seem to have a Problem - i beat the Elden Beast and gave the Mending Ring of the Fell Curse to the shattered npc whose name I forgot, saw the ending, etc.. chose to not immediately start Journey 2 and when i fast traveled back to the Erdtree I lost the ability to fast travel, they just all have the red cross through them saying Fast Travel is currently Unavailable. i thought maybe i needed to go back into the tree but there's no prompt to enter it again. any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like how there is an alternate way there, but it requires you to get past 3?4? Of the multilimbed infinite punching teleporting screamy grafted monsters and boy they wrecked my poo poo several times.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Some random lore stuff that I'm thinking the implications over in my head:

After the Rykard fight, or during you can nab an chest piece in the boss arena called "Eye-Surcoat" and the description reads: "The insignia emblazoned on the front marks out the wearer as the eyes and ears of Sir Gideon the All-Knowing." So Gideon has a spy-network which makes sense but it's a pretty odd place to find the item, and I don't think there are other set pieces. I want to say it's probably a straight forward explanation of Gideon got someone to infiltrate the Manor, got them to be invited to meet Rykard and they were immediately loving eaten

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Actually has anyone found some bloodborne style clothing? I was keeping an eye out for a tricorn hat or dashing coat and nothing.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Perfect Potato posted:

https://streamable.com/33609o

The input reading in this game is something else

This specific behavior of instantly punishing the player for taking a Risky Sip is something every lategame boss will do. That particular boss is just really obvious and consistent about it with the fireballs.

I didn't mind this so much as some of the other wild poo poo that lategame bosses can pull off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

JBP posted:

Actually has anyone found some bloodborne style clothing? I was keeping an eye out for a tricorn hat or dashing coat and nothing.

I'd need to look at the name when I get back on, but there's sort of like a black, buttoned coat I found that's pretty good.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been doodling an elden ring fan art today while daydreaming of the mushroom kingdom
e: hell this is the last post on the page so im removing the timg

not to critique your art or anything but i think i've made a minor improvement

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
kinda wishing the penultimate boss actually was three crucible knights at this point

is it also just a hard stop against anyone doing great shield things, given the grapples? lmao one play style or else I guess

loving explosions

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Okay I just got here. What the gently caress.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wrestling is powerful.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Perfect Potato posted:

The definition of insanity...

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I skipped Sauron there because getting close (easy) is made impossible by the three rats in his tower base. I can't fight three opponents in a closet and can't climb up.

the frenzied flame works by line-of-sight (like the deformed brain in nightmare of mensis) and there's a conveniently-placed rock formation nearby that you can hide behind. bait the rats over to the rocks, kill them while taking cover from the flame, and then dash to the tower and exorcise it

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
From watching a streamer who did an Incantations only run of the game, here's a few notes I made:
Catch Flame is the Faith version of Carian Slicer. Essentially a very high damage melee range atttack.
Giantsflame take thee is a slow cast, huge range (aim up like a shotputter,) big damage, big aoe spell.
Burn, O Flame! is another slow cast, but does incredible damage and stagger if you can catch a big boss in the area around you.
Pest Threads has amazing tracking and great damage against fleshy enemies. As that early teleport trap taught you.
Flame, Grant me Strength is a buff that increases all of the spells.
Royal Knight's Resolve and Determination are both weapon arts but will affect all your spells during their duration for increased damage.

He also did a Sorceries only run.

And it's wild to me that we'll probably start seeing sub 1 hour speedruns of the game any day now.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

It’s not enabled from the start. I don’t know what triggers it (and I wasn’t checking often) but in my playthrough I couldn’t use it until I got in the capitol through other means

there's a lever at the bottom for when you get into the capital proper, yeah

it might be possible to survive falling down with assassin's approach + fast quitout, but that's for the speedrunners to figure out

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Finally beat magrit and then fell off a ledge. Anyway I'm drastically overlevelled from every resource i've read on recommended levels so tbh I deserve it for sucking at games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Perfect Potato posted:

are you calling the boss being programmed to punish you for drinking "input reading"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I don't know if Rennala is hard or easy but I one shot her and I'm really proud of that lol

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Finally beat magrit and then fell off a ledge. Anyway I'm drastically overlevelled from every resource i've read on recommended levels so tbh I deserve it for sucking at games.

Margit died to poison a second after he killed me lol. Got no runes out of it but gently caress that guy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it just me, or is it really arbitrary when you can and can't dodge a boss's attack? I'm on Valiant Gargoyles and not only do their attacks have huge AOEs, but there's absolutely no clue as to which way you're supposed to doge and the lock-on camera sure as gently caress doesn't help.

Also, is blocking ever effective against bosses? They just devolve to Dark Souls 1 rolling as far as I can tell.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Margit died to poison a second after he killed me lol. Got no runes out of it but gently caress that guy.

Uh, you should've gotten runes. Are you sure they weren't sitting in a part of the arena and need to be picked up? You're probably long past that by now but still

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yes, blocking with a shield helped me quite a bit on certain bosses. Sometimes you gotta go full armor and forget the cosplay. Sometimes you gotta go naked and 2hand that poo poo!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

are you calling the boss being programmed to punish you for drinking "input reading"

The game recognizing that you pressed a button and immediately responding is input reading yes

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ghosthotel posted:

Some random lore stuff that I'm thinking the implications over in my head:

After the Rykard fight, or during you can nab an chest piece in the boss arena called "Eye-Surcoat" and the description reads: "The insignia emblazoned on the front marks out the wearer as the eyes and ears of Sir Gideon the All-Knowing." So Gideon has a spy-network which makes sense but it's a pretty odd place to find the item, and I don't think there are other set pieces. I want to say it's probably a straight forward explanation of Gideon got someone to infiltrate the Manor, got them to be invited to meet Rykard and they were immediately loving eaten

Possibly Diallos, as you first meet him at the round table talking about his servant. Next meeting you find him over the corpse of the servant in the lake outside the academy, and he vows revenge on Volcano Manor. Back at the roundtable he mentions how someone from the manor contacted him (likely Tanith's daughter who is also on the lake on some unspecified business). If you join with Tanith after a few assassinations Diallos will be in the manor having joined the organization that killed his assistant.... I didn't actually finish the manor's assinations though so I'm unsure if he has any more lore dumps beyond the initial meeting. I killed Rykard after Diallos showed up there.

But on the other hand, I think Gideon just wants to be Elden Lord and uses all tools to eliminate pretenders. I dunno if you have had it happen to you yet but after getting half of the Haligtree medallion his guardian, edgelord Ensha attacks you in the roundtable. If you ask him about it he kinda brushes it off saying Ensha got overzealous if you believe that.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 9, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

IronicDongz posted:

well, you use them when you don't have good openings for spells, and then when you do have good openings you use the spells that really hurt. you can use more mana efficient spells as well, but good int weapons will generally do better damage in those moments while saving FP for the bigger spells when you have the chance to use them.

Something I should clarify here: the big spells don't hurt. The "strong" spell costs over five times as much, casts slower, and does... maybe 2-2.5x the damage of the weak spell. The only exception to this is Comet Azur, and maybe the niche case of Abdula's Moonblade on Malenia.

That's why it's meh finding new spells. You want that 71 Int 55 FP spell to be a wrecking ball and it turns out you'd be better served spamming out three pebbles for less FP and less time. It takes a lot of the fun out of getting new shinies.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Trying to make an uchigatana bleed build, not sure if I want to do 2 hand with bloodflame or a wakizashi offhand. What's the rough stat distribution where a bleed ash is worth it over keen?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
holy gently caress, I thought I was going to have to restart my game. I got abducted and sent to Volcano Hell and ran up against 2 abductor twins and just couldn't loving get close to killing them at all. Looked it up and the walkthrough said "You are imprisoned so you have to beat them before moving on" and went to a grace and sure enough, can't go anywhere... I got a little panic'd but went back to try again and after 10ish times of making no progress at all I figured this was it, I literally cannot do this.

but I was able to warp at a grace after trying some more, I guess? Not sure why it let me all of a sudden but it did and thank god because I was just getting stomped so badly I just know I was done for if I had to actually beat them. And I have beaten most of the other bosses so far after at most 3 or 4 tries.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

The game recognizing that you pressed a button and immediately responding is input reading yes

Motherfucker ain't got eyes

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tumble posted:

holy gently caress, I thought I was going to have to restart my game. I got abducted and sent to Volcano Hell and ran up against 2 abductor twins and just couldn't loving get close to killing them at all. Looked it up and the walkthrough said "You are imprisoned so you have to beat them before moving on" and went to a grace and sure enough, can't go anywhere... I got a little panic'd but went back to try again and after 10ish times of making no progress at all I figured this was it, I literally cannot do this.

but I was able to warp at a grace after trying some more, I guess? Not sure why it let me all of a sudden but it did and thank god because I was just getting stomped so badly I just know I was done for if I had to actually beat them. And I have beaten most of the other bosses so far after at most 3 or 4 tries.

Resting at a grace removes the "imprisoned" status

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Possibly Diallos, as you first meet him at the round table talking about his servant. Next meeting you find him over the corpse of the servant in the lake outside the academy, and he vows revenge on Volcano Manor. Back at the roundtable he mentions how someone from the manor contacted him (likely Tanith's daughter who is also on the lake on some unspecified business). If you join with Tanith after a few assassinations Diallos will be in the manor having joined the organization that killed his assistant.... I didn't actually finish the manor's assinations though so I'm unsure if he has any more lore dumps beyond the initial meeting. I killed Rykard after Diallos showed up there.

But on the other hand, I think Gideon just wants to be Elden Lord and uses all tools to eliminate pretenders. I dunno if you have had it happen to you yet but after getting half of the Haligtree medallion his guardian, edgelord Ensha attacks you in the manor. If you ask him about it he kinda brushes it off saying Ensha got overzealous if you believe that.

That event seems to happen randomly. I'm on a 2nd character right now and on both characters I've had it happen after visiting the round table about maybe 5 or 6 times?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know what point you think you're making here because as far as i can tell it's "how dare the enemies in this game react to the actions i do" and it's very maidenless behavior imho

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tumble posted:

I never got captured by the manor though in the other trapped chest situations you have to find another site of grace before you're allowed to teleport

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u95UvUSzHRY

I died on this run because I couldn’t stop laughing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know what point you think you're making here because as far as i can tell it's "how dare the enemies in this game react to the actions i do" and it's very maidenless behavior imho

It should wait to respond to actions so they can do anything they want for free.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
EFB

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Vermain posted:

there's a lever at the bottom for when you get into the capital proper, yeah

it might be possible to survive falling down with assassin's approach + fast quitout, but that's for the speedrunners to figure out

the thing is i didn't mess with anything other than the lever at the top via the grace site and it worked, the question is whether it's checking for "physical" progression or story flags

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Willfrey posted:

But on the other hand, I think Gideon just wants to be Elden Lord and uses all tools to eliminate pretenders. I dunno if you have had it happen to you yet but after getting half of the Haligtree medallion his guardian, edgelord Ensha attacks you in the roundtable. If you ask him about it he kinda brushes it off saying Ensha got overzealous if you believe that.

I have no idea about any of the npcs/quests in the manor because I killed Rykard first before entering the manor, but Diallos was the only person there after I killed Rykard so it's not his corpse.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
ahahahaha oh no! A painting led me down a falling puzzle that earned me Radhan's arrow rain but there's a giant golem with a special glowing blue staff that fuckin whupped my rear end

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ghosthotel posted:

That event seems to happen randomly. I'm on a 2nd character right now and on both characters I've had it happen after visiting the round table about maybe 5 or 6 times?

pretty sure you need the haligtree medallion to trigger it, or beat the boss in that area. My first playthrough i missed that questline completely and Ensha never attacked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Willfrey posted:

Diallos isn't there for Gideon. Exhausting his dialog shows he's just kind of a rube- they told him he could soak himself in blood to become a champion and he took them up on it, and as the questline progresses he admits that he was an idiot that they played like a fiddle. No idea where he goes after that, I'm pretty sure the last target they give you is his brother? or some other Hoslow and he just ditches