Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was genuinely excited by the LG DualUp but my fear that its announcement without an MSRP meant it might be vaporware seems to have been well-founded. Sigh. Someone besides Eizo make a drat square monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It sounds like those LG C2 OLEDs are now shipping April-May from what I was reading.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I just want it in flat 27" because 27" 4K seems to be an afterthought.

They may have thought that they wouldn't have gotten away with the kinds of margins they wanted with a 27" 1440p monitor, and I suspect that they are reluctant to have a denser display for pixel aperture ratio/brightness reasons. It also depends on how the mother glass is being cut—if they can only do two UWs in a row then they can't do any more than two 16:9s either, so they may as well do UWs to get the most out of the material while charging more for it.

The second issue can be solved as samsung's yields improve and they can afford to inventory-tetris up an additional panel scheme for their mother glass. The first issue is a tricky one to work around though. Basically, no matter how big or small you make a pixel, the circuitry required to power said pixel remains the same size. This means the ratio of visible pixel to circuitry (the pixel aperture ratio) gets smaller the denser your display gets. And a smaller ratio means less total light passes through, and they are more prone to pixel degradation (faster burn-in). You also potentially end up with a "grainy" image on very dense OLED displays, which some people claim to be able to see. I don't think we'll be seeing 27" or 28" 4K QD-OLED displays anytime soon. Samsung might do a 32" 4K panel at some point in the near future, but they most likely chose a 110 PPI panel to start with because they aren't very confident about higher density levels. This is something that should get better over time as they make improvements to brightness, organic compound stability, etc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Thanks; that was all new info to me. Now I just have to figure out if I want to write off these arms for an ultra wide, or hope VESA 100x100 and weight limits can carry me to a larger size.

Should have gone Ergotron so weight wasn't an issue, but I went Monoprice instead and have to deal with jiggle at ~10lbs (my current set).

functional
Feb 12, 2008

I have an M28U and I want to extend the panel life while also having the screen automatically off when not in use. Can I use a black screen saver to do this? The black seems active somehow, maybe backlit. Is this OK?

I am using KVM. The other option is display or device sleep. I haven't solved wake issues yet across multiple devices.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

functional posted:

I have an M28U and I want to extend the panel life while also having the screen automatically off when not in use. Can I use a black screen saver to do this? The black seems active somehow, maybe backlit. Is this OK?

I am using KVM. The other option is display or device sleep. I haven't solved wake issues yet across multiple devices.

The backlight is active on LCDs while there's a black screen, correct. Sleeping is the proper way to go about this.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Apparently the 42" LG C2 is around 1600 EUR, yikes. My 55" LG C1 was roughly that price. I guess I will wait for it to drop down to ~1200 at least.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" ultrawide is now available for purchase on Dell's main website for $1,307.

People have apparently been getting coupons for 10% off by signing up for some sort of Dell newsletter.

The first YouTube reviews have started appearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUnt7xTp6Q

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought it with a 10% code from the Dell newsletter. I had another code from another email as well if anyone wants it, it takes off $130.75.

05B4MQ1Q7$H5Q?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Rusty posted:

I bought it with a 10% code from the Dell newsletter. I had another code from another email as well if anyone wants it, it takes off $130.75.

05B4MQ1Q7$H5Q?

Nice. In the time since my previous post, the earliest delivery date has slipped from March 11 to April 30. 😬 Lots of people want their OLEDs.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Parker Lewis posted:

Nice. In the time since my previous post, the delivery date has slipped from March 11 to April 30. 😬 Lots of people want their OLEDs.
I think when I bought it it said April 3rd, but I'm in not hurry.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Parker Lewis posted:

The Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" ultrawide is now available for purchase on Dell's main website for $1,307.

People have apparently been getting coupons for 10% off by signing up for some sort of Dell newsletter.

The first YouTube reviews have started appearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUnt7xTp6Q

I haven’t watched this review yet but I was reading about some people complaining the text clarity on this thing sucks.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

xgalaxy posted:

I haven’t watched this review yet but I was reading about some people complaining the text clarity on this thing sucks.

I think this is an issue specific to M1 Macs with external monitors: https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers/ but it will be something to keep an eye on as more people get their hands on these and start posting reviews.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 9, 2022

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Parker Lewis posted:

I think this is an issue specific to M1 Macs with external monitors: https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers/ but it will be something to keep an eye on as more people get their hands on these and start posting reviews.

sub 4K is too plebeian for Apple to care?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

xgalaxy posted:

The 4K OLED laptop I have, when I first got it all of the text looked like poo poo, until I thought to go into Windows and disable the ClearType subpixel antialiasing which is always turned on by default.

It's been I don't know how many years, and Windows Cleartype still has to way to deal with non RGB-stripe arrangements, which is probably what's going on with the new Alienware.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Are these made-for-monitors OLED panels PenTile or just RGB with a weird subpixel order?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I noticed that the AW3423DW shows as out of stock on Dell's website, but when the page is loading the "Add to cart" button briefly appears. So I hit refresh and clicked the button in the .25 seconds it was visible, and it actually let me go all the way through the ordering process. Nice job on the website, Dell!

Edit: got a text message saying the purchase is confirmed. Sure, Dell. Sure.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 9, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

Are these made-for-monitors OLED panels PenTile or just RGB with a weird subpixel order?

My understanding is that it is true RGB at the subpixel level, as opposed to the WRGB on the LG panels. Well uh I guess really its a B... just all B subpixel layout, with red and green quantum dots over the blue on neighboring pixels.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That chinese video had the guy going "text seems a little weird to me idk" but that's it. Wait for a more detailed review before deciding that there's definitely something wrong with the text clarity.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eve is selling their glossy displays tomorrow. Discount code GLOSSYFAN for $25 off. I'm probably going to at the very least attempt to buy the 4k 144hz one.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 10, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Our Main Man got one of the Alienware QD-OLEDs, so looks like we will be getting a full analysis soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z09RLWEoYZE

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got my M27Q in today and quick first impressions are this thing is amazing. I had an Asus VG24VQE which, while awesome, wasn't big enough or a high enough resolution. I had my sights set on the M32U originally but it was three times the price I got the M27Q so maybe a 4k will come later.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Duck and Cover posted:

Eve is selling their glossy displays tomorrow. Discount code GLOSSYFAN for $25 off. I'm probably going to at the very least attempt to buy the 4k 144hz one.

This is great news. Bad news is they’re still IPS panels.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is the spectrum actually a good monitor? Is it known to play well with Macs?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lol man, June.

I thought about it again, but nope. gonna wait until it's cheaper or there's a 4K monitor, even if that's not until next year. Or maybe I'll just get the Neo G8 instead, idk

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Has a non-UW QD-OLED monitor been announced?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Has a non-UW QD-OLED monitor been announced?

Nope. Just the Sony TVs and that one monitor for now. Yields are low and Samsung Display can't make enough panels to support more than this.

edit: I guess Samsung Electronics quietly announced their own monitor using the same ultrawide panel, and they're expected to announce some TVs at some point, but it's all the same stuff and there are no firm details about any of them. They could be months away from release, if they even come out this year. Apparently there's a pricing dispute happening between Samsung Electronics and Samsung Display.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 10, 2022

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Neo G8 instead, idk

Does this thing have a release date yet?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Does this thing have a release date yet?

A british retailer has a June release date but there's no US release date announced yet. Could be sooner, could be later, nobody knows.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
34" OLED non-4K monitor :confuoot:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

lol man, June.

I thought about it again, but nope. gonna wait until it's cheaper or there's a 4K monitor, even if that's not until next year. Or maybe I'll just get the Neo G8 instead, idk

I really hadn't planned on buying one right away but this makes me want to order now and get in line right away. :ohdear:

Consumerism in 2022 is even more hosed up than it usually is.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

I'd like to get a 27" 1440p monitor for <$500, mainly for office-related use. I intend to have 2 different laptops attached at different times (not really swapping back and forth). I'd like to have a single USB-C cable used to connect to whichever laptop I'm using at the time. One has Thunderbolt 4, the other Thunderbolt 3.

I have a second mediocre 21.5" 1080p monitor that will need to be connected as well, maybe upgraded to another 27" 1440p eventually.

So I'm thinking: 1 USB C 27" 1440p monitor daisy chained to the 21.5" monitor. All USB devices (mouse, keyboard, camera) connected to the 27" monitor, and a single USB C cable to connect to the laptop being used, supplying 65+ watts of power.

I'm considering an Asus ProArt PA278CV. Does that seem like a decent pick? Is there a limitation I hadn't considered that would make this approach infeasible? Would I be better off just getting a good dock and a non-USB monitor?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

lordfrikk posted:

34" OLED non-4K monitor :confuoot:

I think you'd only be confused if you never tried one. At the distance you'd sit from it it's as clear as you could possibly want, and 21:9 is what movies are filmed in so they fit perfectly as long as it's not like a made-for-netflix show, and even some of those are 21:9 now. Games like Dark Souls all get a quick hexedit patch to enable 3440x1440 if they don't have it at launch and those look spectacular too.

A 4K display is fine for gaming, it's what I use right now as I'm on a laptop, but 21:9 is ideal for games and movies because your eyeballs have much more horizontal field of view than vertical.

And yeah maybe they could increase the resolution to something like 5k, but you're getting past "retina" quality at sitting distance, it increases the monitor cost, and GPUs to drive that are gonna be backordered through like the next decade lol

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
3440x1440 sits in a nice spot where I don't have to push as many pixels as 4k, but has a higher resolution than 1440p. I also like the horizontal space a lot now that I am used to it. I have a 55" OLED I bought for gaming but mainly still use the ultra wide IPS I have, so having this size in OLED will be awesome. 4k is still too much for some of the FPS games I play.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Are there any Hivemind Approved G Sync TVs?

We're starting to look for a TV but I don't think our 1080Ti or 3080 will deliver 4k60 Ultra (High maybe?).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Someone took a macro shot of the AW3423DW that captures the subpixel layout:

(open in a new tab and zoom in)

The user reports green fringing on the white text, which you can kind of see here. The subpixel layout is quite unusual. It's not a stripe like Samsung's infographics have implied, nor is it pentile. It's triangle shaped, with a large green subpixel on the top, and smaller red and green subpixels on the bottom, with the pixel circuitry to the left of the green subpixel (the black space). Cleartype won't know what to do with this.

denereal visease posted:

We're starting to look for a TV but I don't think our 1080Ti or 3080 will deliver 4k60 Ultra (High maybe?).

The LG C1/upcoming C2.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2022

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Someone took a macro shot of the AW3423DW that captures the subpixel layout:

(open in a new tab and zoom in)

The user reports green fringing on the white text, which you can kind of see here. The subpixel layout is quite unusual. It's not a stripe like Samsung's infographics have implied, nor is it pentile. It's triangle shaped, with a large green subpixel on the top, and smaller red and green subpixels on the bottom, with the pixel circuitry to the left or right (the black space). Cleartype won't know what to do with this.

Hmm, that's a bit disappointing. I would definitely need to see this in person before pulling the trigger.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The camera here is overemphasizing the fringing (and also the graininess), showing each subpixel distinctly instead of blending them into white light like our eyes will do. The user reported that they only barely notice the green fringing in practice, so if your use case doesn't involve looking at text all day, then it shouldn't be a problem. If it does, then definitely try to see it in person before pulling the trigger.

It is kinda disappointing though. This will likely be a thing on all QD-OLED displays going forward. Microsoft could potentially improve it with ClearType, but they still haven't even bothered to add WBGR support to ClearType so who knows when that could happen. And google will seemingly never add anything beyond RGB stripe support to their subpixel rendering.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2022

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The good news: my $980 AW3423DW arrived today. I tried it in both Win 11 and macOS (Intel-based MBP) and have not noticed any text rendering/subpixel weirdness during normal use, though I also didn't start magnifying the screen to look for them.

The bad news: within the first few minutes of using it I have noticed two dead pixels, one of which is right in the middle of the screen.

Dell has a dead pixel replacement policy that requires at least 6 dead pixels to get a replacement.

Pretty disappointing, I will probably end up just returning it, and then spend hundreds more and wait months to buy another one.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

denereal visease posted:

The LG C1/upcoming C2.
Isn't burn-in from persistent HUD items in games an issue with OLEDs? Or do we have better tech today and that's less of an issue / a non-issue?

A 48" C1 would be in line with the budget, thanks for the reccomendation!