Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The fact that it was a proposed evacuation route that was mined is a bit disconcerting as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump posted:

Bombs, bullets, grenades, missiles etc. kills children as well.

Yeah but mines are a lot less likely to kill than those items listen. They are meant to maim. Yes bombs maim etc. But mines blow up hands and feet and leave you alive moreso than the others.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trump posted:

Bombs, bullets, grenades, missiles etc. kills children as well.

Those things tend to be more directed and immediate, and using cluster munitions in a populated area is a war crime for this very reason. Anti personnel mines kill indiscriminately decades later.

This is just more "there's no difference between amounts of bad" bullshit.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007
All weapons suck if you're on the opposite end of them

Things tend to be banned by the Geneva Convention when they target indiscriminately (think poison gases) or are especially cruel in terms of human suffering they cause (think poison gases)

Butterfly mines definitely fall into the 'targets indiscriminately' column particularly WRT their potential appeal to children, but yeah they are no more or less enjoyable to get blown up by than any other explosive (which is to say, quite unenjoyable)

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

New Coke posted:

The fact that it was a proposed evacuation route that was mined is a bit disconcerting as well.

"Look, we opened a safe corridor and Ukraine shelled their own people to prevent them from leaving!"

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Butterfly bombs are far older than Vietnam. The Germans used to drop them in England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8mT6Z_LEY

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah but mines are a lot less likely to kill than those items listen. They are meant to maim. Yes bombs maim etc. But mines blow up hands and feet and leave you alive moreso than the others.

A 5.56 shattering the spine of a child is a more good weapon than a mine? Got ya.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Doccers posted:

"Look, we opened a safe corridor and Ukraine shelled their own people to prevent them from leaving!"

There were posts along these lines in the "other" Ukraine thread related to concerns about past corridors and it being not Russia's fault. It was pretty disgusting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

All weapons suck if you're on the opposite end of them

Things tend to be banned by the Geneva Convention when they target indiscriminately (think poison gases) or are especially cruel in terms of human suffering they cause (think poison gases)

Butterfly mines definitely fall into the 'targets indiscriminately' column particularly WRT their potential appeal to children, but yeah they are no more or less enjoyable to get blown up by than any other explosive (which is to say, quite unenjoyable)

Nobody is claiming there's a good way to die here. Don't dismiss the point that there are inherent and inseparable parts of war (killing the people who are trying to kill you) and things that give you an edge but are horrifically cruel (mining evacuation routes). You can take issue with the latter without being naïve or self contradicting.

Trump posted:

A 5.56 shattering the spine of a child is a more good weapon than a mine? Got ya.

This can't possibly be in good faith.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Duck_King posted:

Butterfly bombs are far older than Vietnam. The Germans used to drop them in England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8mT6Z_LEY

I'm the woman who slept through an air raid and woke up in the morning to find a butterfly bomb hanging from my wrecked ceiling

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump posted:

Well a 5.56 requires a trigger puller. And when those baby killing trigger pullers leave the country the 5.56 stops being an effective killing weapon. As long as the death squads we left behind aren't in your village your fine. However, the mines will sit idle for years after year until your favorite grand kid tried to grab a flower toy out of a strangers garden.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Maavuori/status/1501427546205962243

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Russia appears to be trying to keep people cooped up on the sieged cities by deliberately creating uncertainty and fear about what will happen to you if you flee. Offering escape and having it be a trap is scarier than not offering it at all because now you can't trust future opportunities.

They're probably trying to keep people on the cities so they can be captured along with the city when it falls and forcibly made part of russo-ukraine. They may also be thinking that civilians trapped in the city will be eating up supplies and making things more difficult for the ukrainian troops.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KillHour posted:

This is horrific holy poo poo. "intended to maim... because it slows people down more" has to be a war crime in and of itself, right?

I'm pretty sure that's standard procedure for personal mines and applies to most mines placed in Afghanistan. I remember learning about that during my brief time at the German army.
The cold calculation is actually quite logical. If your mine kills the soldier who steps on it you reduce the platoon by one person. If that person instead loses a foot, but survives, another one has to be occupied to help him move, while the whole platoon would have to move slower to not lose them.

What is a war crime is if the platoon leader decides that the extra hassle of having a broken soldier around isn't worth it and decides to act as if he just died there in the initial blast.
Also yeah, using mines on a so called humanitarian corridor definitely applys.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celebrity mercenaries. gently caress me

Holy poo poo

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has Abu TOW made it to Ukraine yet?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Celebrity Volunteer.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
In other news, Ukraine has asked the Danish Health Authority to take in children with cancer and possibly others requiring treatment as a direct or indirect cause of the war. 3 hospitals have already said they can take in and treat children with cancer.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The 22e aka the Van-Doos are one of the most celebrated regiments in Canadian military history. They’re known to be some of our best soldiers and are effective as shock troops. Ultimately this guy probably won’t make much difference strategically but it’s a major morale boost and a contender for another white death.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

KitConstantine posted:

The Red Cross confirmed that the corridors out of Mariupol were mined.
https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/1500937997541335044?s=20&t=KqXfJyUq2c8oLlxrZq19pQ
Article link: https://www.newsweek.com/evacuation-route-offered-fleeing-ukrainians-mined-1685418?amp=1
The type of mines used on the supposed "humanitarian corridor" out of Mariupol has also been cofirmed. They're called butterfly mines.
https://twitter.com/deangloster/status/1501154163652108290?s=20&t=oMSkFCnw7CpwBEbLbS9frQ
"Especially of interest to children because they look like toys" :)

These are the same assholes who decided that UN no-hit lists are their priority target lists in Syria.

https://twitter.com/AliRogin/status/1501285866232291328

Do we really expect anything else from them?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

New Coke posted:

Russia/Syria did this in Aleppo and other Syrian cities. I think someone upthread said they did it in Grozny in 1997 as well.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Turned his haters into consumers

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1501426347889016835

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Deadbeat Dad posted:

More so than the sanctions argument, what are off-ramps that are palatable for both Ukraine/Russia? I would like to see more countries pushing for peace. Even though people get on China for not condemning Russia and painting it way more rosy than it is, they most definitely don't want things to escalate much further. Even if Putin isn't a rational actor, my hopes are that wide-spread war fervor and jingoism that's been rampant from NATO countries gets drowned out and people get weary of this war quickly and realize that at some point cheering for the good guy who doesn't want to see their country destroyed just means more civilian/military death that could've been avoided.

It's easy for me to say since it's not my country and I realize that, and I understand "Get the hell out of my country and leave me alone" should be option number one, but it's not feasible. But if what's been reported is true where there weren't "huge gaps" in the talks when it came to what both sides are wanting out of it, and Zelensky being "open" to the DNR/LNR stuff Putin is demanding and realizing Ukraine isn't going to join NATO, I feel like there is some wiggle room for things to be agreed upon even if it's unsavory for Ukraine right now. But I think some leaders are so obsessed about "making Putin/Russia lose at all costs" which to me isn't a good strategy at the moment. Letting him pat himself on the back with an extremely pyrrhic victory will eventually lead to his demise without having to add the World War III toe-touching and turning Ukraine into Afghanistan with a dead leader option.

I watched this video from 10 days ago and part of the discussion was about what went wrong with Minsk II, in the context of understanding "what Putin wants". If you're too lazy to click or image-phobic, here are the bullet points for Minsk II:

1-2. Ceasefire & withdrawal of heavy weapons
3. OSCE/Trilateral (=OSCE + Russia/Ukraine) monitoring thereof
4. Local elections in Donetsk/Luhansk
5-6. Pardons, amnesties and prisoner exchange
7. Humanitarian aid
8. Re-establishment of social ties/services (pensions, utilities, taxes)
9. Ukrainian control of border after local elections
10. Withdrawal of foreign forces
11. Constitutional reform providing for decentralization with special recognition of Donetsk/Luhansk, including linguistic self-determination and cross-border cooperation with Russia
12. OSCE-monitored national elections including Donetsk/Luhansk

Summarizing the discussion in the video, the speaker (Kim Lane Scheppele) says that the bolded points were not met by Ukraine, with the constitutional reform being the main sticking point. At this stage, the most academic thing happens, and the speaker (Scheppele) invites another panelist (Mark Beissinger) to interrupt, which he does, never letting her actually finish. He brings up that Ukraine did partially implement autonomy for Donetsk/Luhansk, and that Russia also broke the agreement by keeping heavy weapons in/around Donbass (as did Ukraine). He claims that the breakdown was bilateral, but ultimately blames Russia more from walking away from the process in 2017, stating (without much justification) that they never intended to fulfill it and were happy with Donbass languishing to destabilize Ukraine. I don't think any of this was as important in precipitating the conflict as the 2019 thing that nobody wants to mention, but it's a reasonable reading of minimal demands for Russia.

Post-invasion, though, who knows? A lazy answer is that Putin has brain worms and wants to annex all of Ukraine, but nobody serious seems to believe that. Recognition of Crimea seems obvious. Demilitarization could mean anything from no retrofitting of military bases and removal of troops from the Crimea/Donbass borders, wherever they end up, to complete disarmament. 'Denazification' could mean anything from disbanding of Azov and banning of far-right parties to wholesale regime change. Neutral status clearly means no NATO membership, but probably also includes no EU membership, and precludes NATO/EU military aid. Independence for or annexation of Donbass seems likely, since the status quo doesn't seem to have worked out in anyone's favour. Annexation of more of eastern Ukraine - ??? It's really not obvious to me, or seemingly anyone involved, how much of any of that Putin really wants.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Pretty sure the first 5 words of point 11 is the end of the Ukraine

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

A voice of sanity in these troubled times. :tipshat:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Despera posted:

Pretty sure the first 5 words of point 11 is the end of the Ukraine

Special recognition of Donetsk/Luhansk as broadly autonomous (but still Ukrainian) regions would probably be a "Deal! No takebacks!" instant acceptance from Ukraine right now. They already signed the Minsk agreements, Putin claims they just haven't been honoring them (I have no idea if this is true or not, but it's something Putin says so...)

Agreeing to peace on the terms of "abide by the Minsk agreements you already said you would" would be basically the Russians admitting defeat and leaving right now like the whole invasion was a sternly worded warning, though, so I don't think Russia would settle for it.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 9, 2022

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

What is up with that pic? It looks like he's on a gameshow hoping for the jackpot lol

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Smeef posted:

What is up with that pic? It looks like he's on a gameshow hoping for the jackpot lol
I mean, he just hit the "America and Europe want to buy all your loving oil and it just hit $130 a barrel" jackpot so seems fitting.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Smeef posted:

Maduro can easily be besties with the U.S. the second it works out for him.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Guess its time to see what the old Ayatollah wants

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kavros posted:

Maduro can easily be besties with the U.S. the second it works out for him.

Can't wait for Rubio to say how he's always thought of Venezuela as a strategic ally.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I like Tehran in the springtime

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Despera posted:

Guess its time to see what the old Ayatollah wants

Look, I say the US should have an open pitch process for "America's Newest Friend". If North Korea can fine an oil pump somewhere they're welcome to join

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Barudak posted:

Look, I say the US should have an open pitch process for "America's Newest Friend". If North Korea can fine an oil pump somewhere they're welcome to join
Russia is ripe, ready for the Juche idea.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Question: all of these social media sites are blocked in Russia. Does that prevent the Russian Bots/Trolls from posting on them to the rest of the world? Seems like they could easily prevent anyone in country from seeing but still allow their propaganda farma to continue posting to everyone else

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If you eat wheat you're chowing down with Putin

https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1501450229664473092?cxt=HHwWiICjsezBnNYpAAAA

e:

https://twitter.com/wagnerassis_/status/1501266726549442566

the popes toes fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 9, 2022

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Question: all of these social media sites are blocked in Russia. Does that prevent the Russian Bots/Trolls from posting on them to the rest of the world? Seems like they could easily prevent anyone in country from seeing but still allow their propaganda farma to continue posting to everyone else

You are asking if a covert operation can arrange a VPN plan for their employees

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1501364772910084098?cxt=HHwWhMC5-c3T9dUpAAAA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A return to historical norms.

Did they ever stop?

Back to the fundamentals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I wonder if anything is known of the Vasily Bykov's crew losses?