Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gambrinus posted:

What's the best paint for painting 1980s/1990s Citadel miniatures these days? I haven't picked up a brush in over 20 years (and wasn't much cop at it then, to be honest), but I've just spent far too much money on nostalgic squig herders and halflings on eBay and need to do something with them.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle (4th edition) all the way. I never really got into 40k.

I paint mostly using Vallejo, but with some P3 and GW paints mixed in. If you want to go old school, Coat D'arms paints is the legacy successor of the old Citadel paints. AFAIK they made the actual paint for Citadel before they moved production inhouse, so they still have the same line more or less as the 90's Citadel range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also cheat the classic WD style with Contrasts highlighted with the same contrast mixed with white.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Gambrinus posted:

What's the best paint for painting 1980s/1990s Citadel miniatures these days? I haven't picked up a brush in over 20 years (and wasn't much cop at it then, to be honest), but I've just spent far too much money on nostalgic squig herders and halflings on eBay and need to do something with them.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle (4th edition) all the way. I never really got into 40k.

It depends on what your priorities for paints are. There are far more superior options for paints than there were 30 years ago.

If you want to match current Citadel color schemes and want something that will be highly available, Citadel paints are very good, but expensive and come in crappy pots.
If you want a HUGE color selection for a lower price and still available at most hobby stores, Vallejo Game Color is a good choice.
If you're on a tight budget, Army Painter can be good or bad from one color to the next, and Reaper Paints are great value but availability can be very inconsistent.
If you want to recreate those old school colors and techniques, Coat d'Arms still sells the original formulations under their own name that they used to make for Games Workshop.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I'd also add that Vallejo Game Color was originally formulated as a pitch by Vallejo to GW to take over their paint production (GW didn't go with them), so a lot of colors are very close matches to the previous generation of Citadel paints, with paint names that are references to the GW paint color names. Escorpena Green is Scorpion Green, f'rex. They're not exact matches like Coat D'Arms, which I believe are done by the same company that did that generation of Citadel paints, but close and easier to find than Coat D'Arms.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Stephenls posted:

I'd also add that Vallejo Game Color was originally formulated as a pitch by Vallejo to GW to take over their paint production (GW didn't go with them), so a lot of colors are very close matches to the previous generation of Citadel paints, with paint names that are references to the GW paint color names. Escorpena Green is Scorpion Green, f'rex. They're not exact matches like Coat D'Arms, which I believe are done by the same company that did that generation of Citadel paints, but close and easier to find than Coat D'Arms.

The Game Color Heavy ones were especially meant to be for GW - i got a set of them and on the back of the box was a guide to match the paints to the old Citadel Foundation paints.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Cheers. I'll pick up the starter Vallejo set, in a bit. Got a load of dwarves to do some dry brushing on. They're all metal and beard, so can't go too badly wrong.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I dont remember who mentioned it but thank you for the tip about using Abaddon Black to clean up bases. It works like a charm and you can't tell if you're more than 6" away.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

So I've moved into a new place with a ton of free space to do what I want. I own no real furniture and want a dedicated desk for painting (and maybe studying ln a laptop). What would y'all's ideal set up be if you could start from zero? Fancy? Simple? Thoughts?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Where do you want to paint? Do you want to do paint holders attached to a wall or other things permanently attached to a wall? I have seen a few setups like that and they look nice. Is the painting area going to be a more open area? Sometimes a small table is better than a desk, because a desk often is more shallow/less deep than a table. I think the big first decision is if you want to modify the walls/furniture or not, and then maybe go from there.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

I've been thinking about this too. I also have a laptop at my paint desk and think I've decided on a longer narrow table. I'd like to have the laptop and the 3d printer on the table as well as a vertical rack mounted to the wall for paint storage. Ideally these would all be in a row so I could just scoot over to access the different areas. I'd like it to be mostly open underneath so I could use stacking storage boxes for various things I don't need out all the time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

There's always stacking cinderblocks with wood boards on top

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

For storage I have been using these boxes with casters: https://smile.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Plastic-Storage-Organizer/dp/B08S964X2H/ref=pd_ybh_a_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7AM60421S4T28RW7H69X

What I do is have each box set up for a different task, so I have a construction box, which has glues, knifes, sprues, models completed but not primed, etc... and I just wheel it over when I am constructing. I also have a finishing box that has basing material and decal material, and I just wheel that over when I am doing that. They work really good for storing stuff for tasks that you don't do constantly, but want all the materials close at hand when you do.

Here is my little cart setup:

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 8, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

For storage I have been using these boxes with casters: https://smile.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-Plastic-Storage-Organizer/dp/B08S964X2H/ref=pd_ybh_a_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7AM60421S4T28RW7H69X

What I do is have each box set up for a different task, so I have a construction box, which has glues, knifes, sprues, models completed but not primed, etc... and I just wheel it over when I am constructing. I also have a finishing box that has basing material and decal material, and I just wheel that over when I am doing that. They work really good for storing stuff for tasks that you don't do constantly, but want all the materials close at hand when you do.

Here is my little cart setup:

That's a pretty nice cow pillow. How comfy is it for post-painting session naps?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, it is extremely nice. I will post the link below if you want one. I found them on a ski trip to Whistler, at an ice cream place called COWs. Their ice cream was pretty good, but their shirts are very comfy, oddly enough. I order a few shirts from them every couple months. Have not been able to make it up to Whistler in quite a while. But it is a very nice squishmallow.

https://shop.cows.ca/shop/squishmallow-plush/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I really enjoyed this model, it's kind of special to me.

When I was a kid getting into Warhammer Eldar was my first army, and I'd lovingly gaze at all the models in the 3rd edition codex. In particular I always liked the Striking Scorpions, but my FLGS never had them in stock and I didn't have a lot of money besides, so I never got them. This particular sculpt was one of those pictures.

Last year I bought a huge lot of 2nd and 3rd edition Eldar, and since Scorpions are actually good now I'm painting a unit of them up. It was really fun to finally paint this model.

My Eldar army is all pink and purple, but scorpions have to be green or the canon police will beat my rear end, so I worked some purple in there. It turned out really good I think!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been thinking about making a 2nd/3rd Ed Kill Team for the same reasons!

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Pre-HH2.0 cross post.

Major Spag posted:

Code 30 is real and it looked at me!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Major Spag posted:

Pre-HH2.0 cross post.

They look good! The model has a few artistic choices that are interesting. In my head I can hear the GW painting guy going "Okay, so thin down your paints just a bit so it flows smooth, and get a nice fine point on your brush. Using the edge of your brush, not the tip, apply some paint to pick out those fine details, like the nipple"

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They look good! The model has a few artistic choices that are interesting. In my head I can hear the GW painting guy going "Okay, so thin down your paints just a bit so it flows smooth, and get a nice fine point on your brush. Using the edge of your brush, not the tip, apply some paint to pick out those fine details, like the nipple"

I don't edge highlight my HH models. I think it makes them look a bit more subdued which is the general vibe i go for.

What current method + edge highlighting looked like:

Major Spag fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 8, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I should have clarified, when I said interesting artistic choices I meant to specify their sculpting, not your work, which is very good.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
ahh, i see. Yeah...

...nipple for men. Are we not in the hands of lunatics?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Due to some unexpected eBay auction winning, I have some painted models that I would like to de-paint. Although I should just prime one of them to see how that works before stripping. But anyway, if my options are 70% Iso. or Green Stuff, which is better, and how long to soak them?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Metal, plastic, or resin?

Assuming plastic: if you have some small resealable containers, simple green. You can soak a few things in each container for as long as you want without issue, so anything you're not trying to strip fast you can throw in a glass jar or something and soak until you think you're ready to paint it.

If you are trying to strip fast (and have glass jars and an ultrasonic cleaner) you can do the same thing but dunk the whole filled glass jar into the ultrasonic cleaner full of water.

If it's pewter just dunk the whole thing in some acetone (nail polish remover). Just be sure to remove anything plastic (like the base) or it'll melt.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Oh yeah, that probably would have been helpful information... they are GW plastic minis. I assume they were painted with GW or other similar model acrylics.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alright

so I tried that method suggested earlier of using that mix of water/retarder/airbrush thinner while increasing the needle size from .3->.5 and increasing the PSI

I fooled with it for several hours with the Black Stylrenz primer (instead of the white version last time) and when it worked, it worked very smoothly, but the issues I noticed were primarily due to:

1. paint not being thin enough, resulting in tip drying out faster even with the retarder mixture
2. paint being too thin, resulting in instead spraying droplets of paint on the model instead of a thin coat. adding more paint fixed this
3. clogs causing inconsistent spread, or having to drastically push farther back on the actuator on the airbrush in order to overcome the clog

However, point 3 is probably where I should have stopped and done a clean instead of trying to power through it because the flow would drop down to a trickle, and I was starting to get impatient at having to do multiple passes instead of 30-60 seconds a model with a nice strong stream as before, because the paint was starting to clog

I had to fix the clogs at this point (having taken the needle cover off and cleaned it after almost every 2-3 models) by physically taking the needle out, cleaning it with iso, and jamming it into the needle nozzle repeatedly, basically scraping/dislodging any dried paint actually inside of the hard-to-reach nozzle head with the tip of the needle.

Doing this would unclog the airbrush...for a while.

Airbrushing this long does seemingly make the tip of my pointer finger completely numb, so I'm wondering if I should just get that Iwata airbrush with the trigger instead, and if that would help what seems to be some "median nerve" issues I'm noticing.

anyways other things I noticed:

Airbrushing this many Modiphius models sure points out to me it's nice that these Fallout Wasteland Warfare minis are so highly detailed, but I don't know that I enjoy airbrushing these that much, since there's so many crevasses to cover.

Airbrushing Age of Sigmar models is very satisfying. I was doing a Vindicator Prime and a Lord-Imperatant from the Dominion box and was pleased with how simple they were to spray without a lot of needless detail that my brush would never really be able to cover later.

Even the Ossiarch Bonereapers were fine by comparison, and they have a lot of fiddly bits.

I do still want to try loading the airbrush up with some watered down metallics and using that to do the base coat of some of these models because that seems like it'd be a good use of time.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 9, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve been thinking about making a 2nd/3rd Ed Kill Team for the same reasons!

Kill Team is a great opportunity to indulge all your whims in trying a squad or two of a particular army without going whole hog. I'd wanted a Sisters of Battle plastic box for years just to paint, and when I finally get one... it's enough for a playable Kill Team.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Alright

so I tried that method suggested earlier of using that mix of water/retarder/airbrush thinner while increasing the needle size from .3->.5 and increasing the PSI

I fooled with it for several hours with the Black Stylrenz primer (instead of the white version last time) and when it worked, it worked very smoothly, but the issues I noticed were primarily due to:

1. paint not being thin enough, resulting in tip drying out faster even with the retarder mixture
2. paint being too thin, resulting in instead spraying droplets of paint on the model instead of a thin coat. adding more paint fixed this
3. clogs causing inconsistent spread, or having to drastically push farther back on the actuator on the airbrush in order to overcome the clog

However, point 3 is probably where I should have stopped and done a clean instead of trying to power through it because the flow would drop down to a trickle, and I was starting to get impatient at having to do multiple passes instead of 30-60 seconds a model with a nice strong stream as before, because the paint was starting to clog

I had to fix the clogs at this point (having taken the needle cover off and cleaned it after almost every 2-3 models) by physically taking the needle out, cleaning it with iso, and jamming it into the needle nozzle repeatedly, basically scraping/dislodging any dried paint actually inside of the hard-to-reach nozzle head with the tip of the needle.

Doing this would unclog the airbrush...for a while.

Airbrushing this long does seemingly make the tip of my pointer finger completely numb, so I'm wondering if I should just get that Iwata airbrush with the trigger instead, and if that would help what seems to be some "median nerve" issues I'm noticing.

anyways other things I noticed:

Airbrushing this many Modiphius models sure points out to me it's nice that these Fallout Wasteland Warfare minis are so highly detailed, but I don't know that I enjoy airbrushing these that much, since there's so many crevasses to cover.

Airbrushing Age of Sigmar models is very satisfying. I was doing a Vindicator Prime and a Lord-Imperatant from the Dominion box and was pleased with how simple they were to spray without a lot of needless detail that my brush would never really be able to cover later.

Even the Ossiarch Bonereapers were fine by comparison, and they have a lot of fiddly bits.

I do still want to try loading the airbrush up with some watered down metallics and using that to do the base coat of some of these models because that seems like it'd be a good use of time.

If you can increase your PSI, you should be able to just airbrush Stynylrez straight out of the bottle. I was originally thinning it because I had a cordless airbrush compressor that couldn't do more than 25 PSI tops. But since then, I actually got an actual airbrush compressor, complete with tank and pressure regulator/water trap (it's the Point Zero one you can find on Amazon for like 75-80 or so), and when I set the PSI to around 35ish, it sprays Stynylrez and Ammo by Mig One Shot primers with no problem. I even got that crappy Army Painter airbrush primer (that I'd previously written off) to spray decently now, and I just started experimenting with spraying cheap craft paints as basecoats, thinned down with windshield washer fluid (roughly 60/40 washer fluid to paint). I haven't even had to use that thinner mix I mentioned a while back since making that upgrade. Now I just need to get a decent namebrand airbrush. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 9, 2022

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Happens to me too. I think the standard airbrush is going to offer more control, so I just deal with the numb finger. I'm pretty sure (at least with me) it's not a sign of a nerve issue - you're doing something you don't usually do, and your body is reacting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Watering down metallics is going to cause them to separate, so you might want to look into metallics that are specifically designed for airbrushing. The Vallejo Metal Colors are supposed to be good - I picked up the aluminum and it brushes on like a dream, though I haven't tried it in my airbrush.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Using your index finger for the trigger for long periods just sucks. Try adjusting your grip so that instead of using your index finger for the trigger, you use your thumb. I think that'd the grip style Brent from Goobertown uses and says has less strain.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There are quite a few stl files for comfort grips on thingiverse. You could try that if you know a 3d printing nerd.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Anyone know of a US-based webstore that carries a full stock of both Vallejo and Citadel paints?

Seems like everywhere I look they either carry one or the other brand, or do carry both but have very little remaining inventory.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

Anyone know of a US-based webstore that carries a full stock of both Vallejo and Citadel paints?

Seems like everywhere I look they either carry one or the other brand, or do carry both but have very little remaining inventory.

"Full stock" is gonna be an issue because... Well, if you need that explained, congrats on coming out of that coma?

I've been ordering my paints from https://www.michtoy.com/ lately.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Full stock" is gonna be an issue because... Well, if you need that explained, congrats on coming out of that coma?

I've been ordering my paints from https://www.michtoy.com/ lately.

I just need four specific paints - two vallejo and two citadel. I figure that even with everything going on, somewhere must have the combination I need.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Try Amazon?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Unfortunately the prices on Amazon are out of control.

Agrax Earthshade, normally $7.50 - on Amazon: $16

One pot of Vallejo, normal price $3 - on Amazon: $7.50

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to buy a few more citadel paints, this is a good way to do it on amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Citadel-Bu...ps%2C203&sr=8-2

They have another product set up the same way for layer paints, and they will combine shipping. Get my paints in like 3 days from them.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

I just need four specific paints - two vallejo and two citadel. I figure that even with everything going on, somewhere must have the combination I need.

I usually buy paints from either Miniature Market or MTech Cave or other local stores with online shops, I just shop around since my LGS never have anything other than Citadel paints, or That One Board Game Store That Just Happens to Stock Army Painter products.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah Michigan Toy is probably your best bet, Miniatures Market sells both lines but their availability has always been spotty.

Vallejo paint is a lot easier to find in traditional hobby retailers but Citadel paints are only going to be at game stores.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Check Noble Knight too. They carry pretty much every paint line out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

There are quite a few stl files for comfort grips on thingiverse. You could try that if you know a 3d printing nerd.

I'll look into this, I have a Resin printer but not an FDM printer (no money, time or space for a second printer right now) so I can try to see if that would work.

Cthulu Carl posted:

Using your index finger for the trigger for long periods just sucks. Try adjusting your grip so that instead of using your index finger for the trigger, you use your thumb. I think that'd the grip style Brent from Goobertown uses and says has less strain.

I read this, and disregarded it as silly nonsense this morning. I went to pick up my airbrush this way and immediately it felt like it was easier to use the trigger. :psyduck:

Thanks for this