Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
West Side Story is good but the Gee Officer Krupke scene seemed beyond superfluous. Does it actually add anything to the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey poster above me...krup you!!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkoXjnAm88s

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It’s fun OP that’s what it adds

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN8yvz668E

Season 2 of Russian Doll is coming April 20th. So excited, I absolutely loved season 1.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Originally, "Gee Officer Krupke" was a challenge to the audience, rendering their instinct to project a specific pathology onto the characters into discourse. Maybe these kids are violent because they're poor, or they're neglected by their parents, or because of capitalism. That instinct is comforting because the idea is if you can correctly diagnose their problems, those problems can be fixed. In the Krupke song, the Jets are just as aware of these possible diagnoses as you are, but they're not interested in being fixed. Because of that, the very purpose of social criticism or satire is put into question. In the new movie, the song is superfluous because Tony Kushner is quite certain he knows exactly what these kids' problems are and how to fix them.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm a few minutes into Guardians of Justice and the aesthetic is extremely my poo poo

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nihonniboku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN8yvz668E

Season 2 of Russian Doll is coming April 20th. So excited, I absolutely loved season 1.

Finally!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
A premiere date! What a concept!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Since the pandemic started me and my SO have been bouncing from show to show, some we've seen, some one of us wants to show the other, etc etc. The last couple months we've been making our way through Sex and the City and wouldn't you know it...it sucks!

Well, not entirely. The first couple seasons actually hold up pretty well and, while I'm not sure if this is the intention, but almost act like this neat mirror image to Seinfeld, only from the perspective of the random women they date and also they're allowed to swear and gently caress on camera. The perspective of four single friends engaging with the dating scene and getting into mildly wacky sitcom situations is pretty solid.

But because it's a show about women it eventually has to become a series of monogamous relationship dramas and poignant life moments, and then it just...stays that way. Everyone just breaks up with then gets back together with their longtime boyfriend over and over. It's very rote but if you're following the characters and like them you do get to see them get happy endings which is pleasant.

The movies! They're both bad. The first feels like they wanted to do another season of the show but couldn't so they crammed a bunch of season-long arcs into a 2.5 hour movie so it feels both bloated and rushed at the same time. The second is interesting because it tries to do slapstick comedy for some reason, which the show never was, and fails so spectacularly you're kind of in awe of it. There's a scene where a bunch of Muslim women remove their burkas to reveal they also love NYC fashion and designer brands that's the worst scene in the entire series and so loving terrible I still can't believe it's real.

And then there's the return, which we just finished. One of the main actresses refused to return and her absence is felt because their entire dynamic is thrown off, so they treat her character like they do when the actor dies and just have awkward text exchanges. One of the other actors really did die halfway through the season and they write him out by making his character be an rear end in a top hat. There's several sequences about nonbinary and genderfluid sexuality that are painfully boomers-writing-millennials. Every character is written so poorly it feels like Rise of the Skywalker where you can't tell if its incompetence or malevolence.

So...Sex and the City. More bad than good! But if you're interested and haven't seen it (this applies to no one ITT) just watch the first three seasons or so and then call it good.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Now do the Carrie Diaries and complete your journey

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

With a couple of edits you've pretty much just described Entourage as well.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I refuse to learn what the Carrie diaries are :colbert:

I actually watched Entourage up through the Sasha Grey season and then bowed out, and...I can see it. There's no way the Entourage movie has anything as insane as the Abu Dhabi burka fashion reveal scene though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Modern Leper posted:

A premiere date! What a concept!

Very clever!

Wolfsheim posted:

Since the pandemic started me and my SO have been bouncing from show to show, some we've seen, some one of us wants to show the other, etc etc. The last couple months we've been making our way through Sex and the City and wouldn't you know it...it sucks!

So...Sex and the City. More bad than good! But if you're interested and haven't seen it (this applies to no one ITT) just watch the first three seasons or so and then call it good.

During its original run I'd catch episodes here and there on HBO, and then I later saw most of the series in its PG edit on TBS. I always thought it was fine, I never thought it was particularly funny.

I rewatched it in its entirety during the pandemic, and it's not very good at all. Carrie in particular is a terrible person, and for all the grief she gets from a few of the guys she dates, she is an absolute nightmare to her more longterm relationships, and is an awful friend. She just takes and takes and takes from everybody in her life, and rarely actually gives anything back. I remember the episode when her building was going condo and she couldn't afford to buy her unit, so she harassed her friends until they gave her the money to buy it.

The new series, And Just Like That, is maybe even worse, but also better at the same time. They clearly recognized how whitewashed (racist) and homophobic the original series was, and went through concerted efforts to diversify the show. The characters handled the changes pretty terribly, and continued to make awful decisions at every step. But I actually quite liked the new characters, and I wouldn't mind at all if season 2 was focusing on the new ladies, and ditching Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte altogether the way they ditched Samantha.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Nihonniboku posted:

I rewatched it in its entirety during the pandemic, and it's not very good at all. Carrie in particular is a terrible person, and for all the grief she gets from a few of the guys she dates, she is an absolute nightmare to her more longterm relationships, and is an awful friend. She just takes and takes and takes from everybody in her life, and rarely actually gives anything back. I remember the episode when her building was going condo and she couldn't afford to buy her unit, so she harassed her friends until they gave her the money to buy it.

See, Carrie being a bad person was fine with me because of the whole 'Seinfeld but all women' motif, and the fact that she ends up with someone just as bad as her so they stop inflicting their awful behavior on innocent bystanders is actually pretty funny. I think my favorite episode of the final original season is the one-off with David Duchovny where he decides he'd rather stay in a mental institution than continue dating her, and its somehow her best breakup in the entire series.

quote:

The new series, And Just Like That, is maybe even worse, but also better at the same time. They clearly recognized how whitewashed (racist) and homophobic the original series was, and went through concerted efforts to diversify the show. The characters handled the changes pretty terribly, and continued to make awful decisions at every step. But I actually quite liked the new characters, and I wouldn't mind at all if season 2 was focusing on the new ladies, and ditching Carrie, Miranda and Charlotte altogether the way they ditched Samantha.

This frustrated me because Carrie's new friend is actually an interesting character but so overtly a stand-in for Samantha that was awkwardly slotted into the scenes where Samantha would be that it just never clicked. The nonbinary comedian was terrible though, her standup made me involuntarily wince with how unfunny it was.

The biggest casualty of the return is Miranda though, binging the series means you see her ruin Steve's life over and over again to the point it starts to seem sociopathic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
sex and the city was golden girls without any of the wit or talent

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Golden Girls actually really holds up well. Probably the biggest problem with the show is that other than Stan, there are no other recurring characters. A lot of the guest actors playing boyfriends or children of the girls are usually not very good actors, and have no comedic timing or chemistry with the 4 leads.

LemonLimeSoda
Jan 23, 2020
I've been going through Columbia and Rockford Files on Peacock and have thoroughly enjoyed both.
Colombo's character and personality is a lot of fun to watch

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

precision posted:

My SO is binging Golden Girls on her own so I've seen a few eps and from what I could tell this isn't really true because GG sticks to its premise of "these funny broads hanging out and cracking wise and banging randos" which SOTC abandons for relationship drama and never really looks back

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yep am on season 4ish of golden girls its boring to me but my wife loves it, the jokes are solid tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
that was my point guys, that Golden Girls owns and SATC only wishes it were anywhere near as daring or funny

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm a few eps into the tourist and I still can't tell what kind of show its trying to be lol

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

BonoMan posted:

Free Guy was really bad

I put it on hoping for a brainless but slightly enjoyable nerd movie like Ready Player One, but couldn't make it more than 2 minutes in. ryan reynolds is a cringe elemental

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh wow i didn't even know they'd finally started on a third season of american crime story

pretty good so far

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
God. Mrs Maisel season 3 is a complete bore. No stakes nothing interesting happens. They have no idea where to go with these characters Should’ve been one and done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

God. Mrs Maisel season 3 is a complete bore. No stakes nothing interesting happens. They have no idea where to go with these characters Should’ve been one and done.

Yeah I think that's where I lost interest. Season 2 was a lot worse than 1 and then 3 was completely forgettable.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Winning Time, about the Lakers dynasty, on HBO is great. It's Adam McKay so it has a ton of fourth wall but the cast is so insane and they're having so much fun that it doesn't bother me.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I need to check out Winning Time if only for John C. Reilly. That man can loving act. I'm glad to hear its a solid show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
hell yeah Fresh on Hulu is aces, lol

that last 20 minutes was some good poo poo

What? He's married?!

I don't recall seeing the two leads before but I recognize their names... what else have they been in that I should check out? I really liked both of them

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mcmagic posted:

I loved Gilmore Girls, probably seen every episode 5 times at least, but the new season ruined the original series for me with realizing that Lorelai and Rory are complete narcissists and Emily is actually not so bad.

I hated Bunheads, but that's because I find Sutton Foster an insufferable actress.

I loved the first 3 season of Marvelous Mrs Maisel. But I'm finding the new season, season 4, not just boring, but I'm finding all of the conversations to be very grating. They've decided to make all of the characters completely irritating, and there is nothing left likable about any of them. The show has become a parody of itself.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I liked some moments (the NY boho communists made me laugh) but I literally booed my screen at the ending. So many interesting and unique angles have taken with Shy's story, and they just...didn't. nah let's just let the increasingly unsympathetic main character out him as a gay man at the Apollo theatre then spin it like Shy was the unreasonable dick

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

isaboo posted:

The Fresh Prince reboot (Bel Air) is good. Not great, but good. Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv are cool as hell, as is Geoffrey.
Carlton makes a good villain. Will is Will but less Will. Ashley hasn't done that much, Hilary seems about right.

The original is one of my favorite comedies ever so I'll continue watching this one to just to see where it goes.

The show needs more lighthearted moments, though.

I put off watching this just because the concept of a "serious" Bel Air seemed so silly. But because of this post I decided to start it...and yeah I don't hate it! Everything is well done enough to keep me interested for now. I agree though, def needs more jokes.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I stooped watching Raised By Wolves because I realised the only thing I was really moved in any way by was the lovely title sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WVDcxrRJ_M

And I looked the artist up and she did another opening sequence for a very similar show that that was my favourite part of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ytp8jv66co

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

My SO is binging Golden Girls on her own so I've seen a few eps and from what I could tell this isn't really true because GG sticks to its premise of "these funny broads hanging out and cracking wise and banging randos" which SOTC abandons for relationship drama and never really looks back

Well, his girlfriend died and he's trying to bring her back to life. Not really the kind of relationship drama you can look back from. At least until you've killed all 12 colossi.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The international women's day episode of Letterkenny is fuckin awesome

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

veni veni veni posted:

Well, his girlfriend died and he's trying to bring her back to life. Not really the kind of relationship drama you can look back from. At least until you've killed all 12 colossi.

Could used more sexy banter with the horse though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tim Whatley posted:

Winning Time, about the Lakers dynasty, on HBO is great. It's Adam McKay so it has a ton of fourth wall but the cast is so insane and they're having so much fun that it doesn't bother me.

Can anyone explain why Jerry Buss was able to buy the Lakers with a check but cash would have been a deal-breaker?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

isaboo posted:

hell yeah Fresh on Hulu is aces, lol

that last 20 minutes was some good poo poo

What? He's married?!

I don't recall seeing the two leads before but I recognize their names... what else have they been in that I should check out? I really liked both of them

Daisy Edgar Jones was in Normal People on Hulu and is very good in that as well. You should watch that. Sebastian Stan is the second most boring Avenger and was very boring in many different Marvel movies and TV shows but YMMV on those.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mcmagic posted:

Daisy Edgar Jones was in Normal People on Hulu and is very good in that as well. You should watch that. Sebastian Stan is the second most boring Avenger and was very boring in many different Marvel movies and TV shows but YMMV on those.

he's also pretty funny as Tommy Lee in Pam & Tommy

edit: holy poo poo it's The Winter Soldier hahaha. i didn't even recognize him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

smackfu posted:

Can anyone explain why Jerry Buss was able to buy the Lakers with a check but cash would have been a deal-breaker?

It was still cash, but half in property trades instead of the full cash amount ($67 million)