Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Astro7x posted:

I believe they said "modular" in the presentation, but didn't say a drat thing about how.

it’s “modular” because it’s small, and you can stick it places/presumably stack them two high the way people do with Mac Mini clusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I'm focusing on what's important for this round of announcements

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, at least no new laptops so if I hit lotto I won't have buyer's remorse until at least June

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Astro7x posted:

A Mini with 16GB of Ram with the M1 is going to cost you $1,100.

A Mac Studio with 32GB of Ram and the M1 Max costs $2,000

Are you hoping for some sort of middle ground here, a Mini M1 Pro for $1,500? I just... don't think that's going to happen.

It could happen, but I don’t think we’d see that computer until after the M2 refresh anyway

maybe we’ll see an M2 Pro Mini quietly get announced in 2023/2024 along new MacBook Pros after the new chassis has been out

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Welp, I guess I'm getting some kind of Mac Mini/Studio and some kind of display. Maybe a Mac Studio and some ridiculous super extra wide monitor that is compatible and not garbage.

Who am I kidding, I guess it will be a Studio and Studio Display.

gently caress.

Pour one out for the 27" iMac indeed.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Why in gods name would anyone expect the ram in an SOC to be upgradable

The idea is that Apple could include ram slots in addition to the unified memory on the SoC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Baronash posted:

The idea is that Apple could include ram slots in addition to the unified memory on the SoC.

Interesting concept. If you run out of SoC ram you start taking a 10-20% perf hit in memory intensive tasks?

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Interesting concept. If you run out of SoC ram you start taking a 10-20% perf hit in memory intensive tasks?

I kinda suspect this is what the Mac Pro is waiting for. The M1 silicon obviously doesn’t support “external” ram, but Apple has pinned the Mac Pro on that sort of upgradability— expansion cards and all. Unless we expect them to go back to the trash can (always possible), I think the Mac Pro is going to require second-generation tech in Apple Silicon. Two “levels” of memory could be a big one there (or three, if you count the caches). Off-chip graphics would be another one. 95% of buyers wouldn’t need it, but those who do, do. If we will ever see these capabilities again, we’ll see them in some variant of the M2.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Baronash posted:

Yeah I'm sure some people had some 'ideas', but they're dumb.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

thetzar posted:

I kinda suspect this is what the Mac Pro is waiting for. The M1 silicon obviously doesn’t support “external” ram, but Apple has pinned the Mac Pro on that sort of upgradability— expansion cards and all. Unless we expect them to go back to the trash can (always possible), I think the Mac Pro is going to require second-generation tech in Apple Silicon. Two “levels” of memory could be a big one there (or three, if you count the caches). Off-chip graphics would be another one. 95% of buyers wouldn’t need it, but those who do, do. If we will ever see these capabilities again, we’ll see them in some variant of the M2.

We'll see, but with the prices of their Pro and the fact the Studio can already go up to 128gb, I doubt it. There will be such a massive drop-off in performance when going to off-chip memory, just really doesn't make sense when you can just upsell them to the M2 Ultra or whatever with 256+ GB on-die.*

External GPU's of Apple's own design, perhaps. That's more plausible.

*Edit: Ah ok the Mac Pro can go up to 1.5TB of memory, so there's a pro market, however small, for that. Yeah then I guess the memory-on-SOC alone won't suffice.

Also perhaps this as an option

Ok Comboomer posted:

Mac Pro is going to just be a fancy box that you can slot a bunch of M1 Ultras on cards into. I’m calling it now.

Upgrading will involve simply buying more M1 Ultra cards and sliding them in. Also there will be space for some NVMe and other drives because why not.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 8, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

thetzar posted:

gently caress it, the Studio is basically the Trashcan Perfected (I wish it reminded me less of Dell’s Mac Mini competitor from 12 years ago but whatever), I’m excited to see Apple do something wild with the Mac Pro

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hell yeah, buying a studio. just have to decide between two and 4 TB of storage.

I’ll have to wait to see the Studio display in person though. I bought an iMac with a nano glass display and had to return it because the diffusion made the image much softer than I was expecting, hopefully the standard glass on the new studio display, (which also is anti reflective apparently) is good enough

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

We'll see, but with the prices of their Pro and the fact the Studio can already go up to 128gb, I doubt it. There will be such a massive drop-off in performance when going to off-chip memory, just really doesn't make sense when you can just upsell them to the M2 Ultra or whatever with 256+ GB on-die.

External GPU's of Apple's own design, perhaps. That's more plausible.

Mac Pro is going to just be a fancy box that you can slot a bunch of M1 Ultras on cards into. I’m calling it now.

Upgrading will involve simply buying more M1 Ultra cards and sliding them in. Also there will be space for some NVMe and other drives because why not.

They gave it away when they talked about how Mac OS is built to scale with Apple Silicon.

Imagine a bunch of Mac Minis/Studios stuffed into a trench coat sharing a big beefy power supply and cooling system so they’re no longer running “equivalent to leading PC hardware with 60% less power consumption and space needs” and that’s basically the next Mac Pro

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ok Comboomer posted:

They gave it away when they talked about how Mac OS is built to scale with Apple Silicon.

Imagine a bunch of Mac Minis/Studios stuffed into a trench coat sharing a big beefy power supply and cooling system so they’re no longer running “equivalent to leading PC hardware with 60% less power consumption and space needs” and that’s basically the next Mac Pro
I mean, a blade chassis with Apple hardware and space for expansion cards is honestly probably what most of the people who use high-end Mac Pros would prefer so why not go whole hog.

Heck, given how well native arm64 virtualisation performs on my 14” M1 Pro I can totally see us being interested in a blade full of M1 Ultras to hook into vSphere.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had the thought that an A13 on board the monitor plus a camera and microphone is kind of a security concern. But, presumably, other monitors have processing chips in them too. So maybe it's really only the camera and microphone to consider with regard to security?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Mac Pro will have a M1 Really Max This Time which is four Max dies glued together

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Mac Pro is just a passive rack/chassis for you to slot in/daisy chain Mac Studios :smuggo:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

Mac Pro is just a passive rack/chassis for you to slot in/daisy chain Mac Studios :smuggo:

I mean… I wouldn’t be mad. I’d like a RAID array / Beowulf cluster of Mac Studios.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Comatoast posted:

I had the thought that an A13 on board the monitor plus a camera and microphone is kind of a security concern. But, presumably, other monitors have processing chips in them too. So maybe it's really only the camera and microphone to consider with regard to security?

If their access\usability is wrapped around an T2 chip then I reckon they're the most secure communication devices out there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

This would be such chaos to announce at WWDC, I love it.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i'm shocked the 27 inch imac is gone. i figured it was by far their best selling desktop. i guess mac mini + studio display is their replacement? how does $3600 for a min spec studio and the display (or $2300 for a base mini + display) compare to the price for the 27 inch imacs?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

the talent deficit posted:

i'm shocked the 27 inch imac is gone. i figured it was by far their best selling desktop. i guess mac mini + studio display is their replacement? how does $3600 for a min spec studio and the display (or $2300 for a base mini + display) compare to the price for the 27 inch imacs?
It compares poorly price-wise but also the performance is not even remotely comparable between the two so it really depends on your use case. People who liked midrange performance strapped to a 27" 5K screen are somewhat out of luck but I think you could argue that the M1 Mac Mini + Studio Display is probably similar performance and price point.

I'm expecting them to revive the 27" iMac as the iMac Pro with M1 Pro/M1 Max options later in the year using the new display stuff in the Studio Display. I suspect that discontinuing the current 27" is them consolidating the 'iMac' brand to mean the colourful 24" models for home use (to match the MacBook Air which I'm now expecting to be just 'MacBook' when they refresh it next) while the 'iMac Pro' will be the 27" variant that lines up with the newer MacBook Pros.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

The 27” started at $1800 IIRC so—

At the higher end ($2300) it’s not dramatically worse or out of the ordinary than what your average non-pro/specced out user was spending on a base or mid-tier Intel model with maybe a CPU/GPU and storage bump but without tons of storage or Apple-sourced RAM, or without going for the top tier models. The M1 Mini is gonna arguably be better for most users in this category than the old Intel/AMD stuff was.

At the lower end ($1700) Apple probably think they can cover that end of the market with the 24” iMac.

At the very high end ($3k+) $3600 for M1 Pro is probably a worthwhile upgrade vs what a top-of-the-line iMac used to go for.

I think, in hindsight, the switch to 24” was less about growing the old 21” model and more about splitting the difference between 27” and 21”

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 8, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

As per 9to5 Mac, you can still buy a Mac Mini with a four year old Intel CPU and super sad GPU, if you want.

Apple hasn't removed them from the store, oddly enough.

I have one setup with an eGPU and it works nicely.

I’d like a Studio but used up my Mac budget on the 14” M1 Max.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A cheap 27" iMac with still "passable" performance (a tenth gen i5) and 256gb ssd was/is $1,799. The cheap mini also with 256gb is $699, and the studio display is $1,599, so $2,299.
The $499 difference there gets you an M1 chip and I guess the studio display is somewhat nicer than the 27" iMac display? ???
You can also compare to the cheapest 24" iMac, also with 256gb, for $1,299.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I reckon if the iMac large form factor resurfaces, it'll likely be in a new case design, with a newer (M2?) CPU, hopefully differentiated from the new Studio Display.

I've wasted more than a single visit on clients who would scream at me after a move that their iMac won't turn on anymore, then when I get there someone has switched their older iMac for an Apple Thunderbolt Display...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what do you do these days if you have hardware that requires a PCI card, like an external server or LTO Drive? I assume there is some extrernal box you plug all those into and then you go Thunderbolt into a Mac?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Astro7x posted:

So what do you do these days if you have hardware that requires a PCI card, like an external server or LTO Drive? I assume there is some extrernal box you plug all those into and then you go Thunderbolt into a Mac?

Sonnet and others make thunderbolt boxes that have one or more pcie slots, i think they are rare as hell nowadays since there are native 10g thunderbolt nics(which was one of the main uses for pcie boxes) and apple silicon no longer support external gpus natively

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

SlowBloke posted:

Sonnet and others make thunderbolt boxes that have one or more pcie slots, i think they are rare as hell nowadays since there are native 10g thunderbolt nics(which was one of the main uses for pcie boxes) and apple silicon no longer support external gpus natively
I guess that's something else in the favour of the new Studio as it has a 10GB Ethernet port on all models, not just the M1 Ultra version.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SlowBloke posted:

That's good to know.

Have a older Mac Pro at work with several pieces of equipment connected to it. Last time it broke it was cheaper and easier to just find an identical Mac Pro and swap it out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Comatoast posted:

It would be interesting if you could use the new monitor standalone as a really big/expensive iPad 9.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
They need to throw that new M1 Ultra in to a VR headset.

:hai:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
drat, I was really hoping they'd release those rumored M2 Airs. Welp, guess i'll keep an eye on the refurb store in the meantime or see if they announce new ones in summer.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm delighted we didn't get the M2 Airs because that means I don't need to buy a new Air yet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I always thought it would be weird if they started releasing M2 stuff while they were still releasing M1x stuff. Makes more sense to work in generations with the M2 stuff coming out after all the gen 1 stuff is released, then the M2x stuff coming out after the initial M2 stuff. If the M2 stuff comes out in the second half of the year that would be approx 2 years after the M1 air which feels like a good interval for a laptop.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I always thought it would be weird if they started releasing M2 stuff while they were still releasing M1x stuff. Makes more sense to work in generations with the M2 stuff coming out after all the gen 1 stuff is released, then the M2x stuff coming out after the initial M2 stuff. If the M2 stuff comes out in the second half of the year that would be approx 2 years after the M1 air which feels like a good interval for a laptop.

Agreed. I think we’re going to get the full crop of M1 by the end of summer (which means probably no big iMac, at least not until maybe M2).

All we got left is Mac Pro

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
The Mac Studio seems like a reasonable deal. Judging by the backlash am I misreading the specs?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Mac Studio seems like a reasonable deal. Judging by the backlash am I misreading the specs?

backlash? I figure ppl are pretty happy with it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Also I love that Apple finally released the black + silver accessories that would’ve matched with their old iMacs on the day they finish killing the line off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/08/mac-pro-amd-w6600x-gpu/

lol