Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

New Zealand can eat me posted:

I've been really insistent about END dumping and staying Light, it's trivializing a lot of fights. Especially once you stop falling for the 9,000 year long windups this game loves to use. The roll speed & distance difference is just enough to get an extra light attack in vs almost getting away with it.

E: I think I'm at ~30 or so and still have 21 poise and a heap of resistances

let me introduce you to my good friend Bloodhound Step
also im pretty sure poise does nothing during bossfights anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Flytrap posted:

The hardest part about deciphering the lore is that way too many people have names that start with M.

And some of those different names are the same person.

Dipshit inbred Demi-Gods. Just because you have the same genes doesn't mean you need to share the same initials.

It's funny because the related gods and demigods have similar names, so it helps you somewhat with keeping track of the lineages but makes you lose track of who's who and who did what because the names are so similar.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

That thing is happening where I find a cool weapon and it makes me want to make a new character (berserk sword this time)

I know you can respec eventually but I haven't unlocked it yet

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

junan_paalla posted:

It's funny because the related gods and demigods have similar names, so it helps you somewhat with keeping track of the lineages but makes you lose track of who's who and who did what because the names are so similar.

G, R, and M.

It's almost like George R. R. Martin has a thing.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Son of a bitch I permanently missed the magic scorpion talisman. :negative:

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Well, I beat Rennala, but her dragon summon landed on me on the same frame, and I think my runes are lost in the ether. So...yeah.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

RadicalTranslation posted:

Yeah I am near my max capacity; should I go down to medium? And it's worth the armor sacrifice?

Fat rolling is so bad that it makes the roll functionally worthless, to the point that any extra damage you'd have avoided due to loading up on max burden armor will be more than dished out to you via attacks you could have otherwise simply avoided entirely. Quick roll is great, but precludes you from wearing or wielding most of the fun things in any From Soft game. Medium roll is the path of the people.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

This duel was a real rollercoaster, my first 2v1, in a poo poo area. Goldie had some hefty armor so I figured there'd be health to go with it, but when the first blood slash hit I was surprised that it almost killed both of them! 484 damage? C'mon y'all get some vigor. Are we SURE we know how the level ranges work? This character is at level 63 or so with a +14 weapon and I've yet to meet anyone that had more health than me.

I know the playerbase is of split minds wrt PvP, but as someone who somehow hates fighting games but loves the poo poo out of this: so far I think the PvP in this is the best iteration yet. It's been a while but the last few times around there have been certain combinations of rings/armor/weapons that were just outright better and would be what you ended up facing 9/10 times. I didn't mind that because the mechanics were still interesting, but the variety I've been seeing from everyone so far is really impressive.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

let me introduce you to my good friend Bloodhound Step
also im pretty sure poise does nothing during bossfights anyway

Blood Slash >

It definitely helps, as I've invested into it I've been surprised more than once by what I was able to tank w/o being knocked over or interrupted.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Filthy Haiku posted:

Son of a bitch I permanently missed the magic scorpion talisman. :negative:

I just looked it up and yeah that is bullshit. You have to (Ranni questline) find the fingerslayer blade for Ranni but talk to Seluvis before giving it to Ranni. Which is the only thing you have been told to do and also you're going to be warping to her grace. Why would you detour to Seluvis before going up to her? :wtc:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brandfarlig posted:

I just looked it up and yeah that is bullshit. You have to (Ranni questline) find the fingerslayer blade for Ranni but talk to Seluvis before giving it to Ranni. Which is the only thing you have been told to do and also you're going to be warping to her grace. Why would you detour to Seluvis before going up to her? :wtc:

I got it just by giving him the amber starlight for his second potion.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Is there ever a time aside from the beginning of the fight that you can get close to The Elden Beast? I can do phase one of that fight no problem with only like 2-3 flasks used, but I can never get close to phase 2 to be able to damage it with any sort of regularity.

Edit: complaining on the internet works. Got em, then lost the 500k souls because it got it's last attack off which killed me, making the souls unrecoverable.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 9, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
110 hours into the game and I just found patches :)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

lol, ended up just beelining all the way through the doom tree. Which landed me at Loretta and dying at her would have set me back god knows how far, so I ended up panic calling the Mimic and tearing her rear end down in a frenzy. Admittedly that was fun as gently caress

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Has anyone math'd out if quality is worth it? It seems like with a few exceptions requirements don't go all that high, I'm wondering if respec'ing and setting either dex or str as high as possible and just getting the other to the requirements of whatever weapon I use is more effective?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Nuebot posted:

I got it just by giving him the amber starlight for his second potion.

Good. It's early days for the wiki so I'm happy it's incorrect in this case.

tote up a bags posted:

Has anyone math'd out if quality is worth it? It seems like with a few exceptions requirements don't go all that high, I'm wondering if respec'ing and setting either dex or str as high as possible and just getting the other to the requirements of whatever weapon I use is more effective?

I don't know the exact math for Elden Ring but typically Quality has the highest potential dps but you're spending 30-40 more levels to get there.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 9, 2022

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

pentyne posted:

That area with all the sitting albunurics in the blood hell area is just precision designed for farming. I swear to god if they nerf that area I will lose my loving mind. Just racked up probably 500k in a matter of minutes and ran around buying literally every limited merchant item so I can read it all whenever I want and then spent the rest stocking up smith stones 1-4 so I can get any number of +12 weapons I want. Can do the same later and just play around with getting literally everything just 1 rank below max (so probably good enough). Don't want to use it to level up, it feels a bit too cheap but I really want to play around with all the equipment I have.

Level 67, 16 str and 22 dex using the +5 Hoarfrost axe, the weapon art basically erases entire groups. You could probably get access to that area immediately after you beat Stormveil if you are good enough to take down the one major invader in that side quest (unless you don't have to?) and go from ~30s to ~100s in a under an hour.

It's even crazier that you can get that axe like 15 minutes from the start of the game and just get enough somber stones from exploring the overworld areas.

Also fwiw the Wyndham Catacombs are comically easy with some lightning defense and the boss gives you the bell bearing for the first 3 ranks of Grave Glovewort and they are insanely cheap to purchase. Same place also has a 4 and 5 grave glovewort so you can get a high summon pretty quick.

Can you be more specific about the farming area? Link to the map? I just want to level up to the point when I can use the equipment I want. It'd be a great help.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

The fextralife wiki has tables if you want to minmax that hard, but it seems to be wrong more often than not so ymmv. As a katanahaver, I've been very content only getting STR to 16, dumping DEX and using Quality/Keen below the +15 range so far. I suspect there's a threshold where with enough STR a single heavy attack might do enough poise damage but it's of dubious use for the most part.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New Zealand can eat me posted:

The fextralife wiki has tables if you want to minmax that hard, but it seems to be wrong more often than not so ymmv. As a katanahaver, I've been very content only getting STR to 16 and using Quality/Keen below the +15 range so far. I suspect there's a threshold where with enough STR a single heavy attack might do enough poise damage but it's of dubious use for the most part.

Yeah makes sense. STR is I think more important than ever because poise is so important against the combo heavier bosses.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

You may be able to bypass it but if you can it requires going *boss order* Radahn->Mimic Tear->Gargoyle Duo->Shulva Ganksquad 2.0 which is not really much better

Not a “may” but straight up “yes you can”, I’m close to beating the game and never even saw the aforementioned boss. Meaning I should go back and fight him!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

And there's the credits. What a game, dang. And there's definitely a ton I missed I'm sure. I got the Age of the Stars ending, which I'm sure lots of people went for because come on.

I think I do agree that the last like 15% of the game isn't quite as strong as the bulk but it was still an amazing ride from start to finish. I'm already eager to try a fresh run with all my new knowledge and see how I fare. Maybe try to actually get good at the game instead of just spamming Hoarfrost Stomp with my Mimic to eviscerate every living thing in my path. Perhaps try out an Arcane Status build or something else Faith-y. Not entirely sure yet.

I know it's only March but it's gonna be real hard for something else to knock this off my GotY for 2022. It's been awhile since something so thoroughly engrossed me and ate my soul for 70 hours still leaving me wanting more.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

tote up a bags posted:

Yeah makes sense. STR is I think more important than ever because poise is so important against the combo heavier bosses.

I'm honestly not so sure, you'll get there anyways provided you can string a few jump attacks together, or know the boss well enough to get off a fully charged heavy or two. That said I am exclusively two handing my katanas so far

Last PvPost of the night, just showing some of the variety I've run into.

I'm assuming the horizontal/vertical slashes are separate weapon arts in each hand?
Big shields seem good
Immunity Frames from Prattling Pate "Hello"?, I had spent a solid 5 minutes dueling this person earlier, before getting my first disconnect of PvP (which is why I let them get back up)
I have no idea why this guy got on the ladder

I'm really thankful the weird stuttering bullshit does not seem to happen in PvP

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I am doing some pvp now, so I can find the guys writting "two fingers but hole" and murder him.

So far what I have found is I am really bad at pvp. And the average player have a lot of magic in his hands. User arts and spells.

Also some players are really advanced in the game, with gear with endgame boses.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brandfarlig posted:

Good. It's early days for the wiki so I'm happy it's incorrect in this case.

The wiki currently has a problem where people just keep editing in stuff they think randomly or guess at and also occasionally delete actual helpful information. There's like zero information on the amber starlight, where to get it or what to do with it at all it's not even listed as an item, as an example of the wiki's current failings. There are also a lot of "If you do X the NPC will die" situations which just aren't true because usually X was just the last thing that person did so they attributed everything to that and not the dozen other things they did before checking in.

Anyway more specifically about seluvis He seems to die most commonly either after you give Ranni the knife, or after you have him brew the potion and either give it to her or refuse to. I assume it's for the same reason in either case: she realized he's a traitorous little poo poo.

Tei posted:

I am doing some pvp now, so I can find the guys writting "two fingers but hole" and murder him.

So far what I have found is I am really bad at pvp. And the average player have a lot of magic in his hands. User arts and spells.

Also some players are really advanced in the game, with gear with endgame boses.
Like half of PVP's matchmaking, IIRC, is based on your weapon upgrades so getting rogier's +8 rapier will throw a lot of people into a massive pool of players they aren't prepared for.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tote up a bags posted:

Quality seems like it's rarely gonna be the best build in this game. The advantage in previous souls games was being able to hit softcaps in two stats at once without hitting diminishing returns, e.g. getting 27 str and 40 dex instead of min strength and 60 dex, when points from 40-60 were a lot lower value. (That that 27 becomes 40 with the 2h bonus).

But in this game damage stats still scale really well all the way up to 60 or 80 for a lot of weapons, so there's not really any point where you'd say "I have extra stat points I want to put into damage, but I'm already capped! I need another damage stat!"
Unless you're doing massive level 200+ builds.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Quality seems like it's rarely gonna be the best build in this game. The advantage in previous souls games was being able to hit softcaps in two stats at once without hitting diminishing returns, e.g. getting 27 str and 40 dex instead of min strength and 60 dex, when points from 40-60 were a lot lower value. (That that 27 becomes 40 with the 2h bonus).

But in this game damage stats still scale really well all the way up to 60 or 80 for a lot of weapons, so there's not really any point where you'd say "I have extra stat points I want to put into damage, but I'm already capped! I need another damage stat!"

Right, yeah that makes sense.
Speaking of, I assume splitting your damage into cold/fire/lightning/whatever isn't effective unless the target is weak to that element?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Soooo uhh. I'm quite a ways ahead of my friends and they just hit the capitol. However I also just apparently nuked the capitol with destined death, sooooo ... Can I still co-op with them in the area or am I just hosed from helping my buds out?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I killed general r and he can suck my dick. I found an ash somewhere that let me put hoarfrost stomp on my zweihander, and he was still tough at level 55. Took about 15 tries total, maybe more, including the times I tried, gave up and did other stuff. I died to his magic ball things about 5x in the last attempt.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Well in the second playthrough now, Godrick first tried with a Confessor going for dragon communions and arcane. Beelined Rotten Breath ASAP and it's hilariously good so far, though the bloody slash uchigatana is the bread and butter. But arcane increases bleed buildup so it's all good. Need to grab more status stuff now, I need to proc frostbite and poison too, and a rot weapon would be handy for a quick top-up when I gently caress up the breath. I just dread the moment I'm inevitably going to face rot/bleed immune bosses (that stone gargoyles duo is going to be wild I reckon).

Went for a bit of coop on the way, but people summoning for Margit are really struggling to stay alive, even when I distract Margy regularly while he's rotting from the inside. I'll put down the sign at Godrick tonight and see if it's any better. Generally I find Godrick's moves easier to manage than Margy's and his loving delayed hits and combos all over the place, so maybe it's the same for others.

I should be well used to it by now after the hundreds of hours in the series, but it's always amazing how easier/quicker the second playthrough is... Even without remembering everything and not having discovered everything in the first place, the base knowledge of bosses, location, general progression, and where to grab key stuff like some weapons/ashes and smithing stones changes everything.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Fire giant kind of sucks. I see how to do it but I keep getting owned at random ah well.

gently caress this is legit boring

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 9, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

lostleaf posted:

Can you be more specific about the farming area? Link to the map? I just want to level up to the point when I can use the equipment I want. It'd be a great help.

You can't access the area until you complete White Face Varre's quest. It's the only way in. Once there it's on the east side of the island. The farming area is literally next to the grace point. It's tiny, like the size of carian manor on a single elevation.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 9, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I thought that getting an A or S stat on a weapon meant that damage scale was always going to be superior, by a lot, to anything like a combination of more stats or something.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

pentyne posted:

You can't access the area until you complete White Face Varre's quest. It's the only way in. Once there it's on the east side of the island. The farming area is literally next to the grace point. It's tiny, like the size of carian manor on a single elevation.

It's not the only way in but the other way is very late in the game. There's a reason the area boss Satan drops 400k runes.

The area also has several high end upgrade stones including a +10 somber stone

NIHIL

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 9, 2022

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

pentyne posted:

There's another way to access the area, a waygate in the western edge of the consecrated snowfields.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I'm looking for a bit of a pointer in beefing my character up a bit.

I'm still sort of early game I think. I've completed most areas in Limgrave west/east, the weeping peninsula, Stormveil Castle, the Academy, and the Liurnia of the Lakes areas east/west.

I'm level 55 using a +5 Ghiza's wheel and while I still feel pretty powerful I've been neglecting things like my summons and I've barely been using any of battle ashes or whatever they're called.

To upgrade the Ghiza's wheel I need somber smithing stones level 6 or higher or whatever but haven't come across any yet. Also, the materials for upgrading my summons haven't really shown up so I've not been upgrading anything in case I waste them on a rubbish one.

I think the next area I'm supposed to generally go to is Caria Manor but I do have access to the Atlus area already. Is there somewhere I can go next to get a decent summon to dump my current materials into or to find the stones needed to upgrade my weapon further?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I beat this game.

10/10.

What a game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ok, game, three bosses that inflict rot and basically one shot me in a single small room is cheating.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kin posted:

I'm level 55 using a +5 Ghiza's wheel and while I still feel pretty powerful I've been neglecting things like my summons and I've barely been using any of battle ashes or whatever they're called.

To upgrade the Ghiza's wheel I need somber smithing stones level 6 or higher or whatever but haven't come across any yet. Also, the materials for upgrading my summons haven't really shown up so I've not been upgrading anything in case I waste them on a rubbish one.

Well, if your weapon uses Somberstones, it can't use ashes of war, so you don't need to worry too much about those. Though if you start using a normal smithing stone weapon, you absolutely want to put ashes on it. It's free, you can take it off whenever you want, and it 1) changes the "L2" special weapon move, and 2) changes the stats scaling so that you can change the weapon scaling to better fit your own stats, so basically, it should be a straight and considerable damage upgrade.

For smithing stones, including somber ones, you want to do 'mine' type dungeons. They can be spotted on map, like a black square surrounded by a yellow-brown outline (looks like a cave entrance basically). Mines mostly contain regular smithing stones, but they also have some somber ones.

For summons upgrades, you want grave gloveworts mostly, and these are found in catacombs dungeons. If you ever found weird statues that, once interacted with, have a blue line floating out of them, the blue line points to a nearby catacomb whose boss is still alive.

Kin posted:

I think the next area I'm supposed to generally go to is Caria Manor but I do have access to the Atlus area already. Is there somewhere I can go next to get a decent summon to dump my current materials into or to find the stones needed to upgrade my weapon further?

Both Caria Manor and Atlus are options. Caria is a lot smaller, so maybe do that first? But Atlus does contain mines, so maybe you'll want to do that first. Another option since you are looking for a "decent summon" is to go down the deep well in the Mistwood, which will ultimately take you to a decently sized area whose boss drops the Ancestral Follower ashes. That's a very solid summon and very much worth upgrading.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I can't beat Radahn and its making me want to quit the game. I got Hoarfrost Stomp and it does tons of damage, but when I get close enough to use it he kills me.

I tried sniping with my sorcery and using the summons, but once they died I couldn't find their resummon. And anyway then he turns his attention to me and knocks me off my horse anyway, so I get stuck.

This loving sucks. And since switching to sorcery I get one-shotted by a lot of things that used to give me a second chance

blue squares fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 9, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm having trouble with the Rykard fight. He attacks SO slowly I can't react, having used to faster attack patterns. The second phase is where it starts to get really hard with all the stuff flying around at you too. But I'm having trouble in the first phase too, never seem to be able to dodge the grab, mainly due to the weird timing.

blue squares posted:

I can't beat Radahn and its making me want to quit the game. I got Hoarfrost Stomp and it does tons of damage, but when I get close enough to use it he kills me.

I tried sniping with my sorcery and using the summons, but once they died I couldn't find their resummon. And anyway then he turns his attention to me and knocks me off my horse anyway, so I get stuck.

This loving sucks

This was me earlier and eventually I just got a pattern where his attention was turned to the allies for enough time to stomp him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Fought fire giant, got final bell bearings for stones and now with the extremely good farming with the giant stupid bird, I can get pretty much any weapon to +24.

I feel like I’m 90% of the way though the story but there’s still so much stuff I haven’t found. I admit, I haven’t been super thorough past Atlas peaks but all the questlines and dungeons I haven’t found are driving me crazy.