Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xerxes17 posted:

https://twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1500074642865852421

So uh, this guy got capped by the SBU. I Would Like to Know More about who he was and other background context. I figure asking here is better than in the conflict thread.

That's quite the charge, but if they had listened in to telephone calls as the article alleges, they were probably on firm ground. I have no further insight, but luckily our thread IK knows these things. Thanks, cinci zoo sniper. But if he's connected to Yanukovych, I wonder why he was part of the negotiation team in the first place?

Edit: Page snipe, here's the answer to the question:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Supposedly connected to Yanukovych via small-time oligarchs of his era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No idea what they have on him but shooting your own negotiators isn't a great look :v:

Doctor Malaver posted:

It was in support of Russia, not war itself. There were hundreds of people, maybe a thousand or two.
https://www.danas.rs/vesti/politika/rusofobija-je-u-srbiji-statisticka-greska-foto/
It was mostly reported in pro-western media, while regime media ignored it because the protesters targeted "soft" Serbian government too.
Isn't that the same thing? Or is that like pro-russia but only in concept and unrelated to current events?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

No idea what they have on him but shooting your own negotiators isn't a great look :v:

I imagine it was a “you’ll never take me alive, nazis!” type of situation

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't that the same thing? Or is that like pro-russia but only in concept and unrelated to current events?

Obviously it has to be related, but most of the rhetoric was how Serbs and Russians are brothers, no to sanctions against Russia, etc.

They did chant "Kosovo is Serbia, Crimea is Russia", not sure how the logic behind that works.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Edit: Oops I probably replied to something posted pages ago

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Walking around downtown Warsaw today, the number of Ukrainians on the street is insane. It’s mostly teens and young people, acquainting with a new place. And then, just like a second ago on the subway, you’ll see them sitting on a bench crying.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mokotow posted:

Walking around downtown Warsaw today, the number of Ukrainians on the street is insane. It’s mostly teens and young people, acquainting with a new place. And then, just like a second ago on the subway, you’ll see them sitting on a bench crying.

That's not at all unexpected, and still heartbreaking :(

You drove some Ukrainians from the border, didn't you? What language did you use to communicate?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Torrannor posted:

That's not at all unexpected, and still heartbreaking :(

You drove some Ukrainians from the border, didn't you? What language did you use to communicate?

Google translate mostly. One of the younger girls seemed to also understand a lot of Polish. I also called their older sister in Warsaw and she’d translate whatever I said on the car speaker system.

I was actually surprised how hard it was to understand Ukrainian for me.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

quarantinethepast posted:

I get the impression that in Eastern Europe, classical music is still quite popular, moreso than in the rest of Europe/the Americas. Are there living composers that create their own modern compositions today as well, or is mostly just still playing the great masters Tchaikovsky, Beethoven etc.? Framing the question a different way, does Eastern Europe have its own Philip Glass or Max Richter?

Maybe Arvo Pärt?

quote:

"From 2011 to 2018, Pärt was the most performed living composer in the world.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ataxerxes posted:

The street the Russian embassy in Finland sits on is called Factory Street (Tehtaankatu). There have been proposals to change it to Zelensky Street or, less seriously, Trollfactory Street.

There has also been this time Iran trolled the UK: https://www.bobbysandstrust.com/the-night-we-named-bobby-sands-street/

They changed the street the UK embassy is on to Bobby Sands Street, after an IRA member who died in prison. The embassy cut a hole in a wall to make a new door so that their adress would not be on Bobby Sands Street.

Just name it Ikiriidantie, it'll always be correct.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

We’re going to be having small social welfare crisis this month it seems, as the government is only now reacting to the situation with 11 thousand Latvian pensioners, who are used to receiving a pension from Russia. The government says that they have some plans for this situation, but it does appear that all plans involve letting pensioners with military pensions to starve.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/somenes-11-tukstosiem-senioru-latvija-krievijas-pensijas-bus-par-nakotni--neskaidriba.a446806/

Edit:

https://twitter.com/esesmutuesmues/status/1500839918498627587

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 8, 2022

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We’re going to be having small social welfare crisis this month it seems, as the government is only now reacting to the situation with 11 thousand Latvian pensioners, who are used to receiving a pension from Russia. The government says that they have some plans for this situation, but it does appear that all plans involve letting pensioners with military pensions to starve.

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/somenes-11-tukstosiem-senioru-latvija-krievijas-pensijas-bus-par-nakotni--neskaidriba.a446806/

Wow, I wonder if we'll have a similar problem here in Estonia too (I haven't heard anything nor could I find anything by Googling)
Some 500 pensioners had their home delivery delayed by a few days a couple of weeks ago, which received quite a lot of media coverage (also: totally unrelated)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/marcobreso/status/1501201298762485761?s=20&t=almFKLnOtjxbs5RBNwrrAw

Sometimes this country is more bearable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Shame he wasn't greeted with a brick to the face, it would have made my day

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

A nice video with English subs about the friendship of the Hungarian government/Orban with Russia/Putin. It also explains the current government propaganda, how they claim the opposition (just before the elections) wants to send soldiers to Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNuG2AASnuk

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Ziemkiewicz on refugees from a country that's forbidden men from leaving "a lot of them are going to be bandits. Some of them even terrorists trying to instigate a provocation"

i loving hate people

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I hate Ziemkiewicz*. But let’s not forget his greatest day when he decided to send his daughter to the capital of western debauchery, the UK, and was denied entry and deported for extremism while he was taking her there to begin her studies.

* like many, Ziemkiewicz started out as a Sci-fi writer and evolved into a turbo racist shitheel “journalist”.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, due to the invasion there’s a massive surge of interest in joining our national guard. Turns out there’s literally 1 psychologist and 1 narcologist in Riga who can issue the respective judgments for the medical commission, so there’s a multi-month queue for them (Tvaika ielā, kam interesanti).

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

As an Italian:

THANKS.

I'll pour one for the mayor this evening. What's his name?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Omobono posted:

As an Italian:

THANKS.

I'll pour one for the mayor this evening. What's his name?

Wojciech Bakun.

Joining the hate train for Ziemkiewicz. Also not idea why fantasy writers in this weird country have 50/50 chance of ending up radical right. See also Piekara and Komuda. At least Sapkowski seem to be ok.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Wojciech Bakun.

Joining the hate train for Ziemkiewicz. Also not idea why fantasy writers in this weird country have 50/50 chance of ending up radical right. See also Piekara and Komuda. At least Sapkowski seem to be ok.

I don’t know about Sapkowski’s politics, but he’s far from the nicest person.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He comes off as a massive dick but AFAIK he hasn’t penned a 10.000 word essay about why the Roma should be burned on a stake to maintain racial purity or something to that effect, which already makes him more liberal than many Polish sci-fi / fantasy writers.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
AFAIK he's an rear end in a top hat of the Harlan Ellison sort, which is actually cool and good

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I think the only halfway visible Latvian sci-fi writer is a finance bro who runs a 2nd pillar pension fund and promotes financial literacy. No political affiliation, afaik.

Politically active writers are generally not into speculative fiction over here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He was okay with black actors in the Netflix show, while a lot of his Polish fans were throwing a fit about it. So there's that at least.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

He was okay with black actors in the Netflix show, while a lot of his Polish fans were throwing a fit about it. So there's that at least.

Oh yeah I’m not implying he’s a racist or something. I’ve seen some interviews with him, and he’s always really mad or with Important Opinions about something. The kind of guy I’d expect to flip off at a McDonalds drivethrough cashier.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Are Latvian and Lithuanian mutually intelligible languages? Are Latvians and Lithuanians culturally closer to each other than to Estonians due to their language? I've heard that Lithuanian is a particularly "conservative" Indo-European language that preserves a lot of features of proto-Indo-European.

Is Kaliningrad considered "Baltic"?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 9, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quarantinethepast posted:

Are Latvian and Lithuanian mutually intelligible languages? Are Latvians and Lithuanians culturally closer to each other than to Estonians due to their language? I've heard that Lithuanian is a particularly "conservative" Indo-European language that preserves a lot of features of proto-Indo-European.

Is Kaliningrad considered "Baltic"?

Latvian and Lithuanian are not mutually intelligible right away, but if you’re a native speaker of one, you can likely go fluent (like, straight up C1) in the other one in 2, 3 years maximum. Maybe 1-2 years if you’re a native Latgalian speaker like I am, which will be a bit closer to Lithuanian than “High Latvian”.

Latvians and Lithuanians are a bit close culturally than, say, Lithuanians and Estonians, but that’s more of a function of geography than language, since all 3 states historically have shared the occupiers for long periods of time.

Kaliningrad is not considered Baltic, no. Not even by Russians. It is its own thing.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The original (well, the medieval ones) inhabitants of Kaliningrad/Prussia were gone a long time ago, eventually replaced by Germans, now replaced by Russians (and Poles and I believe some Ukrainians on the Poland half); so there's not much Baltic language there.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This might be a dumb question, but how come the Latvian and Estonian capitals are on the coast but Lithuania’s is inland? I had thought it would have been on the coast given the importance of the Baltic Sea with trade. Is there a political / historical reason or is it just one of those things?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

This might be a dumb question, but how come the Latvian and Estonian capitals are on the coast but Lithuania’s is inland? I had thought it would have been on the coast given the importance of the Baltic Sea with trade. Is there a political / historical reason or is it just one of those things?

It’s Lithuania’s historical capital. It will turn 800 next year. Much like other Baltic capitals, it’s roughly where a hefty chunk of ancient Balts had their settlements.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s Lithuania’s historical capital. It will turn 800 next year. Much like other Baltic capitals, it’s roughly where a hefty chunk of ancient Balts had their settlements.
Thanks, I had assumed it was something like that but I didn't know if there were any other factors at play.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Where is the grechka recipe?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, also want one. We had that in Poland once in a while, but it was not my preferred thing to eat. I'm surprised it's so popular in Russia/former USSR.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Goddammit, I was about to go to bed.

I make this one at least once per month:

https://natashaskitchen.com/buckwheat-and-beef-pilaf-plov/

It's a plov, but made from buckwheat. Roasting the buckwheat first is key, as is cumin.

Edit: I have also substituted pork for beef several times and may even prefer it that way.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Buckwheat owns

I skip the toasting step but pan fry them for a bit with a hefty amount of butter, garlic, cumin and chili powder/cayenne.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My buckwheat,

Mostly I just stick it in the rice cooker. Super lazy but good !ix with some grilled chicken breasts

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Where is the grechka recipe?

take groats, add water, heat

imo the non-toasted variety tastes much better, idk why toasted became the default. then again, baked milk is also a thing, so maybe the region is just like "BAKE EVERYTHING" when it comes to food

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

a podcast for cats posted:

It's a plov, but made from buckwheat. Roasting the buckwheat first is key, as is cumin.

Edit: I have also substituted pork for beef several times and may even prefer it that way.
Excellent, definitely making this over the weekend. Also amused it's coming from Natasha, because both my gf's mama & baba swear by her recipes.

fake edit: lmao that I have the exact brand of kasha in my pantry that's linked in the recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

Goddammit, I was about to go to bed.

That looks actually interesting, cheers!

Speaking of toasted buckwheat - I remember back in the day my dad used to boil buckwheat, then sear it in sour cream with some meat. That’s probably more greasy than I remember it being, but it was one of my favourite things.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/edgarsrinkevics/status/1501937741998661643

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 11, 2022