Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Y’all are crazy. We spent just enough time in each place to set the narrative and establish the world.

The show gives you just enough, usually in dialogue, that we can tell the broad strokes of the political/social fallout. Hell, the scene at the end of the season when they find the basement is about perfect: adoring crowds cheering the victory at Shiganshima while the survivors grapple with the truth of their world...

This last episode was just fantastic writing...no ambiguity about where the show falls w/r/t genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This last episode was just fantastic writing...no ambiguity about where the show falls w/r/t genocide.

This is some damning faint praise lol

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

???

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

"Show does not in fact suggest mass genocide across the planet is actually good" should ideally be a low bar to clear

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

"Show does not in fact suggest mass genocide across the planet is actually good" should ideally be a low bar to clear

Huh. I’m trying to figure out if you are being obtuse or not.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Bifauxnen posted:

Considering the number of reaction channels, and people in this thread (hopefully ironically), who seem to be cheering Eren on, then, Yes, the show did need to say "Genocide is wrong".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Bifauxnen posted:

Realizing that it came across a little underhanded, but I really enjoyed the dialogue around the stew-fire.

Personally, I’ve always thought the show was unambiguous about its positions, but some members of the Internet apparently needed it written in fifty-foot granite letters on the side of a mountain, which Hange provided.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean, the internet has a huge problem understanding with “portrayal is not endorsement” In all media for like almost a decade at this point, though we are few years since the peak of this phenomenon at least

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Realizing that it came across a little underhanded, but I really enjoyed the dialogue around the stew-fire.

Personally, I’ve always thought the show was unambiguous about its positions, but some members of the Internet apparently needed it written in fifty-foot granite letters on the side of a mountain, which Hange provided.

At this point in the story that goalpost moves to "the author says genocide is wrong, yet provides no alternatives to solve the conflict. curious"

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
"The author shows the follies of reactionary impulses, but fails to provide a clear cut path to solve all the problems of human nature. Probaby a fascist."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i appreciated the show taking the time to say "ok, we've made all the salient points we can in the ambiguity, let's make sure anyone who hasn't figured it out yet gets it through their thick skull"

you'd think the show exclusively following the viewpoints of the victims of genocide/attempted genocide would be enough but it isn't so here we are

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ninjewtsu posted:

i appreciated the show taking the time to say "ok, we've made all the salient points we can in the ambiguity, let's make sure anyone who hasn't figured it out yet gets it through their thick skull"

you'd think the show exclusively following the viewpoints of the victims of genocide/attempted genocide would be enough but it isn't so here we are

Yeah I appreciated it too, it's just a "gotta laugh or I'll cry" kind of situation that we live in a world where this is so absolutely necessary, that "says that genocide is BAD!" stands out as a unique quality to praise

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The VA really sold it, too. I don't speak or understand Japanese, but genocide is wrong came with clear conviction...much more impassioned and firmly held than the echoing cries of "give your heart." Hange's delivery of that line is the true motto of the show, for me.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
wrong thread

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I'm pretty impressed that, this late in the story, what happened to Marco is still an issue*.

Poor guy. :smith:

*Admittedly would've been less of one if Reiner could take a hint.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
appreciated this chill rear end episode about conflict resolution and processing your feelings. only a wee bit of violence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DamnGlitch posted:

I mean, the internet has a huge problem understanding with “portrayal is not endorsement” In all media for like almost a decade at this point, though we are few years since the peak of this phenomenon at least

"Ah, so even though the show depicts some characters as being anti-murder-everyone, through careful literary analysis we can see that the true message is..."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

The VA really sold it, too. I don't speak or understand Japanese, but genocide is wrong came with clear conviction...much more impassioned and firmly held than the echoing cries of "give your heart." Hange's delivery of that line is the true motto of the show, for me.

remember how all the times we saw pro-jaegerist citizens chanting "SHINZOU WO SASAGEYO" they were drawn to look as hideous and deranged as possible

i don't think this faction was ever flagged to be the heroes, but we needed hange to talk about the philosophy of the old survey corps to really get it across, apparently!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

It's being remarked upon because prior to this season there were a lot of articles/posts suggesting that the viewpoint of the Jaegerists would be promoted by the author later in the manga. Shockingly those articles have once again turned out to be stupid and/or dishonest.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Hange just wants to grill.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Has an anime ever ended like that? Everyone standing around grilling?

Oh poo poo did Home Movies predict the end of King of the Hill?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Schwarzwald posted:

"Ah, so even though the show depicts some characters as being anti-murder-everyone, through careful literary analysis we can see that the true message is..."

Very soon there will be hundreds of YouTube analysis videos just like this.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

remember how all the times we saw pro-jaegerist citizens chanting "SHINZOU WO SASAGEYO" they were drawn to look as hideous and deranged as possible

i don't think this faction was ever flagged to be the heroes, but we needed hange to talk about the philosophy of the old survey corps to really get it across, apparently!

If you ever read any of the pieces put forward by various journalists about AOT, you quickly realise that yes people need that to be said to them because anything leas than the subtlety of a thrown brick apparentlly doesn’t get the message across

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
someone repost gabi.png tia

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Some dumb gently caress even bought me a special av after I made fun of them for saying this show was fascist

Some very special people out there lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
if the anime were to somehow repudiate its fascist worldview by the end, what would you expect it to look like?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

very similar to what it has looked like all season

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The United States posted:

if the anime were to somehow repudiate its fascist worldview by the end, what would you expect it to look like?

I dunno, have all the heroes denounce it vocally and repeatedly? Just maybe?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The United States posted:

I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question until you tell me if you've stopped beating your wife.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sickening fascist messages like "dialogue with your enemy is difficult but ultimately preferable to destroying them''

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

If you ever read any of the pieces put forward by various journalists about AOT, you quickly realise that yes people need that to be said to them because anything leas than the subtlety of a thrown brick apparentlly doesn’t get the message across

i look at what fans were saying and apparently, a lot of them didn't understand that eren killing civilians when he launched his assault on liberio was portrayed to be a very very bad thing despite mikasa of all people being the one to call him out on it when the corps came to bail him out

tl;dr there's a lot of dumb motherfuckers following this series

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I wish everyone would stop describing what Eren's planning to do as "genocide." :rolleyes: It's much closer to omnicide.

ninjewtsu posted:

very similar to what it has looked like all season
Tbh the moment the show literally humanizes its monsters way back when was the time I was like, "Oh, those internet people are dumbasses."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

I wish everyone would stop describing what Eren's planning to do as "genocide." :rolleyes: It's much closer to omnicide.

Tbh the moment the show literally humanizes its monsters way back when was the time I was like, "Oh, those internet people are dumbasses."

I gave them the benefit of the doubt that there was something that would make that perspective at least a little reasonable, then I saw the big basement reveal and instead of being antisemitic it was told from the perspective of the "jews" and the story was about how the viewpoint character's little sister was fed to dogs by the fascists

It was at this point that I said "those people are definitely full of poo poo"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
No but you see using armbands to depict the oppression a minority faces makes you a fascist.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Plus this one secret police-type character that fed a little girl to dogs for kicks lays out a perfectly reasonable argument as to why the "jews" should be treated like they are. The author clearly intends the audience to take this guy's side, because he has a point.

No this does not say more about me than it does about the author, why do you ask?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alan_Shore posted:

I dunno, have all the heroes denounce it vocally and repeatedly? Just maybe?
Interesting. Go on.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

to be fair to isayama i don't think he anticipated that there would be fans who'd only give a poo poo about eren's POV or that there'd be some who'd galaxy brain themselves into thinking loving floch's POV is more important than armin's or hange's

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i thought it was pretty blunt that we're supposed to see floch as pathetic. like most fascists, he's derivative of the real deal he's idolizing, arriving at stupid and violent conclusions nonstop

e: rereading that i realize i might have implied he's derivative of eren (implying eren is good) but i mean he's explicitly a 'later scout', dreams of granduer were smashed in his face when he saw the truth of what war and conflict looks like, and his tragedy is that he took that experience and decided "yeah more of this works as long as i dont end up ont he other side of the rocks"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Floch is also severely traumatised and carries a nasty case of survivor's guilt. His whole reason for living is "I was the only one who survived the charge, I must be special"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Floch is also severely traumatised and carries a nasty case of survivor's guilt. His whole reason for living is "I was the only one who survived the charge, I must be special"

Not even that, I think.

Remember Erwin's last speech? That the living owe it to the dead to carry forward their will?

Floch's got a hosed up and distorted version of that weighing heavy on him. It's not about him being special. It's that he has to do something to prevent it all from being in vain, and that he should do what he can to support the actual special people... like Eren.

He's having fun with being the one in power after seeing the other eight survivors be the big heroes for years, of course, but he seems to think he's more an instrument than an orchestrator.

That is, to put it simply, Floch is a tool.