Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

BrotherJayne posted:

Weren't the mines Ukrainian? (And the. When they cleared some, the Russians pushed some vehicles through lickity-split)

Ukraine is a party to the treaty against these things, and Russia is not. The mines are Russian-made. Also Russia has done this exact plant before in Syria. Just like with the intentional bobbing of hospitals. Putin is just literally a cartoon villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
After the 2014, Ukraine made a declaration in regards to that treaty basically saying until the Russians are gone they will not abide by it. But again, this applies to anti personel mines and not anti tank mines. I am not sure which were used against the civilians and I am not sure which direction/route they were fleeing to.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The obvious solution to the fighter aircraft problem is to give them to Pepsi, who then organizes a Ukraine only special promotion.

Pepsi has already established in a court of law that it doesn't have to live up to obligations to specifically deliver fighter planes in a special promotion, so it'd be a gamble whether Ukraine actually gets them.

Have Coca-Cola run the promotion instead.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We've very publicly given them 17,000 anti tank missiles and thousands of MANPADS that have already killed hundreds or thousands of Russians, but two dozen antique fighter jets is apparently a line no one is willing to cross.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
If Russia can do little green men, why is it NATO cannot do little green fighter jets?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The whole transfer probably should have been a clandestine operation from the beginning, instead of taking place in public. But here we are, and everyone is suddenly squeamish about using bases that are already funnelling weapons to the front lines to fly aircraft into Ukraine and then leave them there.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Slashrat posted:

Pepsi has already established in a court of law that it doesn't have to live up to obligations to specifically deliver fighter planes in a special promotion, so it'd be a gamble whether Ukraine actually gets them.

Coke would just hand them over to South American paramilitary organizations to terrorize bottling company workers. I say give Pepsi a chance to redeem itself, it has experience with this sort of thing already.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hey, for what it's worth, for people having trouble with this: I'm getting too stressed out to keep following the war, and I'm not even a veteran. While this thread has been excellent and informative so far, it's a lot. Nothing wrong with stepping away from it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

psydude posted:

The whole transfer probably should have been a clandestine operation from the beginning, instead of taking place in public. But here we are, and everyone is suddenly squeamish about using bases that are already funnelling weapons to the front lines to fly aircraft into Ukraine and then leave them there.

I think that they're going to hand over the jets.

Someone will correct me (which is good, it means I learn something) but I think the Polish MiG's have been modified for interoperability with NATO missiles and I suspect that they'll need reversion to operate with the UA stores*. There may be other systems that want reversion/downgrade prior to putting them in a warzone where we can't guarantee they're not recoverable by our enemies.

On the moral/legal aspects: I agree with you 100%. Cash and Carry and Lend Lease lay a pretty strong foundation that an arms dealer is under no requirement to favour both sides to stay non-belligerent.

On the clandestine thing:

It being in the newspapers that This Is A Thing That Is Happening for a few days presents a very different context for the Russians when they get the news around 200 that there was a MITO of massed aircraft originating from dispersed NATO airfields, last seen streaking east at treetop height. They were probably carrying drop tanks, but they could have been B61s. e: I'm assuming that's how you'd do the movement because you'd want them at UA airfields by the time the interceptors arrive at the border.

*: I have no clue what they have in inventory for aircraft.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 9, 2022

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ISW has been releasing good analyses daily based upon OSINT. Here's the latest:

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-8

Here's a very interesting tidbit:

quote:

The Ukrainian General Staff reported on March 7 that elements of Russia’s Rosgvardia security forces, Ramazan Kadyrov’s Chechen fighters, and Wagner Group mercenaries (which the General Staff indicated have rebranded into a private military company called “Liga”), are preparing to join the renewed assault on the capital.[1] The use of such forces in addition to conventional military units to lead an assault is unusual. It likely indicates that the Russian military is struggling to amass sufficient combat power on this axis from the available conventional military units. Observed and reported casualties among Russian mechanized and airborne forces in the vicinity of northwestern Kyiv Oblast have been very high, and various reports suggest that the morale and combat effectiveness of the remaining conventional forces there are low.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're gonna do the academi / xe / blackwater / triple canopy thing?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Chechens have proven themselves highly vulnerable to death; the Rosgvardia are literally just cops that are incompetent at anything other than beating up protesters (literally the entire police force of a town in Southeastern Russia was wiped out); and I don't think the Wagner folks have any experience fighting a modern military, just Syrian rebels (except for the one time they tried to fight an ODA and lost). Should go great!

e: The incompetence of the VDV and Spetznas continues to surprise me. I guess all of that backflip axe throwing doesn't translate well to actual warfare. Seems like a lot of the regular Russian forces have had far more success than they have.

psydude fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 9, 2022

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Pretty good thread. See the rest below.

https://twitter.com/WarintheFuture/status/1501357963394441217?s=20&t=6UkAUxCvvBtgJvGXx9y6FQ

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1501357963394441217.html https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1501357963394441217.html

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dick Ripple posted:

If Russia can do little green men, why is it NATO cannot do little green fighter jets?

They appear to be, just a bunch of journalists seem to be completely perplexed by the idea of saying one thing and doing another

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

psydude posted:

e: The incompetence of the VDV and Spetznas continues to surprise me. I guess all of that backflip axe throwing doesn't translate well to actual warfare. Seems like a lot of the regular Russian forces have had far more success than they have.

They're being ordered to do a lot of really dumb suicidal poo poo, mostly. Doesn't matter how good you are if you're ordered to do a helicopter raid against an enemy force that's armed with manpads and knows you're coming.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

re: the US vetoing the Polish Mig plan. It's understandable that the US is squeamish about this. Several dozen jets taking off from Ramstein, flying directly to Ukraine, and firing on Russian armor looks an awful lot like NATO directly joining the war regardless of whether or not Poland signed over the title of the jets to Zelensky J. Hugeballs. Also, Poland has a deep hatred of Russia for (understandable) historical reasons, and in recent years their government has taken a hard turn into right wing nationalism. I wouldn't be surprised if the US and EU are really worried about Poland deciding to no long stay on the sidelines and popping off ww3 proper.

I'm just an rear end in a top hat on the internet though, not like they're telling me anything.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psydude posted:

Wagner Group mercenaries (which the General Staff indicated have rebranded into a private military company called “Liga"

liga balls

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they're gonna do the academi / xe / blackwater / triple canopy thing?

It worked well enough for the US, why not use the idea?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Slashrat posted:

polar bears vs russian bears :thunk:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mrmcd posted:

re: the US vetoing the Polish Mig plan. It's understandable that the US is squeamish about this. Several dozen jets taking off from Ramstein, flying directly to Ukraine, and firing on Russian armor looks an awful lot like NATO directly joining the war regardless of whether or not Poland signed over the title of the jets to Zelensky J. Hugeballs. Also, Poland has a deep hatred of Russia for (understandable) historical reasons, and in recent years their government has taken a hard turn into right wing nationalism. I wouldn't be surprised if the US and EU are really worried about Poland deciding to no long stay on the sidelines and popping off ww3 proper.

I'm just an rear end in a top hat on the internet though, not like they're telling me anything.

I'm assuming they'd be flown to Ukrainian bases first before being put into service, instead of being based out of NATO airfields.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I saw this during my morning scrolling, it keeps making me laugh....

https://twitter.com/biz_ukraine_mag/status/1501254688238362626?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Midjack posted:

liga balls

It worked well enough for the US, why not use the idea?

we are no longer the Wagner group

we are the Rohm group

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The obvious solution to the fighter aircraft problem is to give them to Pepsi, who then organizes a Ukraine only special promotion.

Pepsi keeps the jets, and begins the first corporate war.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

pepsi points: more valuable than the ruble

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

psydude posted:

I'm assuming they'd be flown to Ukrainian bases first before being put into service, instead of being based out of NATO airfields.

Sure but the actualities and technicalities doesn't really matter, if Putin considers it direct NATO involvement, that's what it is. Whether he's bluffing or not, why previous shipments of other arms didn't count, or if the MiGs are staying in Poland or if NATO is trying their hand in the mysterious ways of maskirovka and 5d chess, who knows. While unlikely I'm kinda hoping it's all a shell game and that the fighters were heading to Ukraine all along but polish goons are saying that the polish state and defense departments these days are rather incompetent due to politically motivated purges, so it could all well be bureaucratic incompetence which at this time unfortunately looks like the simplest answer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Churchill posted:

Sure but the actualities and technicalities doesn't really matter, if Putin considers it direct NATO involvement, that's what it is. Whether he's bluffing or not, why previous shipments of other arms didn't count, or if the MiGs are staying in Poland or if NATO is trying their hand in the mysterious ways of maskirovka and 5d chess, who knows. While unlikely I'm kinda hoping it's all a shell game and that the fighters were heading to Ukraine all along but polish goons are saying that the polish state and defense departments these days are rather incompetent due to politically motivated purges, so it could all well be bureaucratic incompetence which at this time unfortunately looks like the simplest answer.

Bureaucratic gridlock? In NATO? :monocle:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Also the Ukrainian air fields are all in areas where both sides are actively shooting at each other's aircraft. Even if there were some "it's not NATO if it touched Ukrainian soil for 5 seconds" rule getting into a fight with the Russians might not be optional.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Bureaucratic gridlock? In NATO? :monocle:

After dealing with the Turkish security guys and Italian IT guys, I just might think NATO isn't a well oiled, mission focused machine

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Churchill posted:

You can also think of it in terms of gradients. Academically I see the term escalation ladder a lot. But you can also just dumb it down to percent. 0% being no war, 50% being active conventional weapons employment, 80% being limited tactical nukes, and 100% being apocalyptical thermonuclear war

With the sanctions and small arms provisions we're at 9% war with Russia. They're hesitant to bump it up to 10% with the delivery of planes. As as you may consider its a very transition as things get more heated.

I also think they should have named it the escalation slope and not ladder because you tend to fall down and not be able to climb back easy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also water is wet.

https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1501560078658379776?s=21

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

uh oh somebody left red boxes on the "coerce 100% unit enlistment" spreadsheet

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

M_Gargantua posted:

You can also think of it in terms of gradients. Academically I see the term escalation ladder a lot. But you can also just dumb it down to percent. 0% being no war, 50% being active conventional weapons employment, 80% being limited tactical nukes, and 100% being apocalyptical thermonuclear war

With the sanctions and small arms provisions we're at 9% war with Russia. They're hesitant to bump it up to 10% with the delivery of planes. As as you may consider its a very transition as things get more heated.

I also think they should have named it the escalation slope and not ladder because you tend to fall down and not be able to climb back easy.

When I started calling it the Doomsday Hole everyone got scared, which I intended, and then they got angry with me, which I didn't. It's funny now

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

So, are russian conscripts allowed to serve abroad?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

After dealing with the Turkish security guys and Italian IT guys, I just might think NATO isn't a well oiled, mission focused machine

No Action Talk Only
(I’m in a NATO reserve unit and we’re being told that there’s little chance of activation - EUCOM will handle it)

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Xakura posted:

So, are russian conscripts allowed to serve abroad?

Wasn’t it rumored earlier that a lot of conscripts were “highly encouraged” to sign contracts during the lead up? That would explain a lot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I thought for a moment they meant Ukrainian conscripts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wasn’t it rumored earlier that a lot of conscripts were “highly encouraged” to sign contracts during the lead up? That would explain a lot.

A lot of the PoWs are saying they were forced to sign enlistment contracts like the day before the invasion.

Stultus Maximus posted:

No Action Talk Only
(I’m in a NATO reserve unit and we’re being told that there’s little chance of activation - EUCOM will handle it)

Curious about this. Is a NATO reserve unit just a normal US military reserve component unit with NATO as its operational command instead of a normal reserve command?

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yes, but now that russian MOD has "discovered" that several conscripts didn't, I wondered if anyone knew if russian conscription law allowed for service abroad. (I'm assuming it doesn't, and that's why they did the "highly encouraging" stuff)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Xakura posted:

Yes, but now that russian MOD has "discovered" that several conscripts didn't, I wondered if anyone knew if russian conscription law allowed for service abroad. (I'm assuming it doesn't, and that's why they did the "highly encouraging" stuff)

It doesn't. Conscripts cannot serve outside of Russian territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xakura posted:

This is the beginning of the scapegoating for the invasion. Over the next few weeks there will be a few more stories like this and eventually they'll find someone to blame for this clusterfuck who isn't Putin or anyone actually responsible.