Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

It's been 17 years since Shadow of the Colossus and the first Chronicles of Narnia game came out, and 10 years since Dragon's Dogma released, in which you the player could climb on large monsters and actually fight them sensibly.

It's 2022. The latest big budget AAA fantasy RPG release (and the biggest one since TW3 which was 7 years ago)... still has you slashing at a dragon's ankles like you're playing a tab-target MMO.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have to admit that Hoarfrost Stomp is incredibly funny, me and the mimic just used it to beat the final 3 bosses and then Malenia after without dying once.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Moofia Boss Val posted:

It's 2022. The latest big budget AAA fantasy RPG release (and the biggest one since TW3 which was 7 years ago)... still has you slashing at a dragon's ankles like you're playing a tab-target MMO.

I think that is more a matter of the generous accessibiltiy features of Elden Ring. The damage bonus for hitting the head is still here the same way it was in DS3, as are the punishing moves for being under/behind (albeit gentler here). It is a bit of a bummer, because I would have preferred the dragon fights if you were forced to hit the dome, not just got a bonus for it.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

blue squares posted:

I can't beat Radahn and its making me want to quit the game.

I was also stuck until I respecced to cast Rotten Breath, (a dragon communion spell that causes scarlet rot). He's super vulnerable to rot, so you pretty just need to hit him with it once in each phase while otherwise riding around to resummon your guys and avoid his BS.

The other option is is to get good, but gently caress that.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Artelier posted:

i just did that fight first try (but i am pretty high level, and with mimic ash) , are you using the weapon that they give you in the arena? it is hilarious and the weapon out ranges most of his attacks when i used it so i just stood like half an arena away spamming r2 - i also has high poise and health and running 13 health potions so i could just trade hits sometimes and briefly back off to heal

Yes, I'm using it, I'm level 102 and also with mimic, but I just can't get it done. The homing skulls in the 2nd phase get me every time. I've also tried a strategy someone said to just get as close to him as possible, both phases, and it works well in the 1st, but like I said, the skulls will just get me usually in the 2nd and especially if I get hit with something first. If I can't get it down I'll try to range him again.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

They must pick a theme for all the creepy poo poo in these games. Bloodborne it was eyes, now all the weird hand and finger poo poo.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Moofia Boss Val posted:

It's been 17 years since Shadow of the Colossus and the first Chronicles of Narnia game came out, and 10 years since Dragon's Dogma released, in which you the player could climb on large monsters and actually fight them sensibly.

Elden Ring did a good job of bringing some of that Sekiro verticality into the Souls formula

now

We need even more.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

JBP posted:

Fire giant kind of sucks. I see how to do it but I keep getting owned at random ah well.

gently caress this is legit boring

The last two times I tried to kill him, he oneshooted me while I was walking from the entrance, from two miles afar. I would not approch it again until I have a fat stack of vit so I can survive these rear end in a top hat oneshooters.

This is the part of the game where every boss will start doing giant AOE oneshooters

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tosk posted:

I'm about 7 hours in and have mostly cleared out Limgrave, advanced the NPC storylines there, met Gurranq and farmed the little dudes around his temple a bit and am now heading into the Weeping Peninsula. I want to go Dex/Int and started samurai and am loving my uchigatana, but I haven't found a staff or catalyst yet (and I don't think the mage vendor I found in her ruins sells one?), anyone want to point me towards one?

Caelid has the best staff in the game short of like a +20 staff.

If you did everything in Limgrave, you’ve been to Caelid.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The problem with being able to mount a big monster is that then you’ll want to ride the big monster around as your pal then you’re obviously going to want a big flying dragon mount and then you’ll want underwater and aerial monster combat.

Before you know it you’re playing Monster Hunter Stories Souls

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tosk posted:

I'm about 7 hours in and have mostly cleared out Limgrave, advanced the NPC storylines there, met Gurranq and farmed the little dudes around his temple a bit and am now heading into the Weeping Peninsula. I want to go Dex/Int and started samurai and am loving my uchigatana, but I haven't found a staff or catalyst yet (and I don't think the mage vendor I found in her ruins sells one?), anyone want to point me towards one?

There’s a very basic catalyst in weeping peninsula

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tosk posted:

for incantations it's a "seal" in this game - you can get one from the merchants in the Roundtable Hold for 800 runes or a trade in a Deathroot at Gurranq the Beast Clergyman (when you get teleportered to the Bestial Sanctum, which I did early on by accident).

for sorceries you're looking for a glintstone staff, some mage enemies in Caria Manor will drop them

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 9, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Beat godskin duo. Boy did I get a shock when the second one revived the other lol. was all good though I don't find them that bad and moonveil ruins their day same as anything else.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FishMcCool posted:

Well, if your weapon uses Somberstones, it can't use ashes of war, so you don't need to worry too much about those. Though if you start using a normal smithing stone weapon, you absolutely want to put ashes on it. It's free, you can take it off whenever you want, and it 1) changes the "L2" special weapon move, and 2) changes the stats scaling so that you can change the weapon scaling to better fit your own stats, so basically, it should be a straight and considerable damage upgrade.

For smithing stones, including somber ones, you want to do 'mine' type dungeons. They can be spotted on map, like a black square surrounded by a yellow-brown outline (looks like a cave entrance basically). Mines mostly contain regular smithing stones, but they also have some somber ones.

For summons upgrades, you want grave gloveworts mostly, and these are found in catacombs dungeons. If you ever found weird statues that, once interacted with, have a blue line floating out of them, the blue line points to a nearby catacomb whose boss is still alive.

Both Caria Manor and Atlus are options. Caria is a lot smaller, so maybe do that first? But Atlus does contain mines, so maybe you'll want to do that first. Another option since you are looking for a "decent summon" is to go down the deep well in the Mistwood, which will ultimately take you to a decently sized area whose boss drops the Ancestral Follower ashes. That's a very solid summon and very much worth upgrading.

Just completed that spoilered area. Pretty cool spot. It looks like there's a super high upper area on the highest plateau that I couldn't reach though.

The "puzzle" for the boss fight was purely contained on the bottom level so I just assumed I'm not supposed to get up there yet right?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Imagine flying dragons in ER2

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

TeaJay posted:

Yes, I'm using it, I'm level 102 and also with mimic, but I just can't get it done. The homing skulls in the 2nd phase get me every time. I've also tried a strategy someone said to just get as close to him as possible, both phases, and it works well in the 1st, but like I said, the skulls will just get me usually in the 2nd and especially if I get hit with something first. If I can't get it down I'll try to range him again.

Sorry man, I don't know what to tell ya. For that attack, I just spammed dodge, but even if some get through (they do), I just tank the damage and heal, or dodge first then heal. I'm running 50 Vigor, if that helps.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Moofia Boss Val posted:

You are not wrong, but also dragon dogma style climbing monsters was somewhat weird, with the character making weird poses. To do this in 2022 you would need way more animations, then a way to communicate and explain why some monsters are climbable and not others. Then make sure people don't use monsters to break sequence (like entering the city before they are allowed). Is a lot of work.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

JBP posted:

Fire giant kind of sucks. I see how to do it but I keep getting owned at random ah well.

gently caress this is legit boring

Quoting because I remembered reading this earlier before facing him and I immediately thought of this post after getting my rear end clapped several times. What a dull fight, really disappointing!!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Artelier posted:

Sorry man, I don't know what to tell ya. For that attack, I just spammed dodge, but even if some get through (they do), I just tank the damage and heal, or dodge first then heal. I'm running 50 Vigor, if that helps.

I don't have as much vigor, but eventually made it through. For the first phase, I found it actually better to mob him, then for the second to try and range with charged R2.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

blue squares posted:

Then I’ll suck at everything else! I’m only level 58. Or do you mean just for that one fight

I know I will never be able to beat the game; I just want to visit all the areas

Come back at 70, make life easier for yourself. I don't frequently summon or use spirits but I tend to do a lot of side content so I'm probably a bit over leveled compared to many but it allows me to fight bosses in a way I find the most fun. There's little reason to struggle through 10+ attempts at boss unless you want to, with the probable exception of a few late game bosses I haven't fought.

Not directing this at you specifically but I don't understand newcomers not leveling their health as their first priority. People tend to know that these games are hard and that you can die quickly. Level the stat that makes you die slower!

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 9, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How far into the main story is The Mountaintop of the Giants? I just finished Leyndell last night. As a Spellcaster I feel like all of these mobs up here are just giant damage sponges. Like the stuff in the Zamor Ruins took me so many Rock Slings to kill. Talking to Gideon it sounds like I've still got so many bosses to fight

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

TeaJay posted:

He took me two tries and honestly I have no idea how to deal with the homing skulls outside of dodging. I think they just end at some point? I probably just got lucky.

Don't know if you posted it but you can upgrade the weapon you pick up in his arena and greatly boost it's damage. Uses somber stones so it's not a massive investment either. Found that I was able to just out damage him fast enough.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

Beat godskin duo. Boy did I get a shock when the second one revived the other lol. was all good though I don't find them that bad and moonveil ruins their day same as anything else.

I thought they would give me more grief but I took no more than a handful of goes at all theend bosses.

I think my build was humming along nicely. With mine I killed them both then had to wait for them to respawn for me to finish killing them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sab669 posted:

How far into the main story is The Mountaintop of the Giants? I just finished Leyndell last night. As a Spellcaster I feel like all of these mobs up here are just giant damage sponges. Like the stuff in the Zamor Ruins took me so many Rock Slings to kill. Talking to Gideon it sounds like I've still got so many bosses to fight
You’re close to the end. The guys Gideon talks about are optional bosses.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TeaJay posted:

I'm having trouble with the Rykard fight. He attacks SO slowly I can't react, having used to faster attack patterns. The second phase is where it starts to get really hard with all the stuff flying around at you too. But I'm having trouble in the first phase too, never seem to be able to dodge the grab, mainly due to the weird timing.

Have you upgraded the lance?, you may check the consumabled, maybe that green finger that increase stamina regeneration is what you need.
I don't remember if Rykard damage is fire or magic. You can equip a medallion with protection about that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yay beating a crucible knight is the most accomplished I’ve felt in this game so far. I can chalk beating Magrit and Goodrick up to some luck but the Stormhill CK was all methodical learning of his patterns, trying a strategy out, it not working and then figuring out a new strategy that let me take the last quarter of his health when I only had a sliver left. It even ended with us both swinging at each other at the end. Ideal experience

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

algebra testes posted:

I thought they would give me more grief but I took no more than a handful of goes at all theend bosses.

I think my build was humming along nicely. With mine I killed them both then had to wait for them to respawn for me to finish killing them

I finished the battle by luring them together and deleting them both with Azul's laser as a flourish. I was toying with them at that point though, having fought them both already I was confident and that room is just full of ai brain breaking walls. They stagger pretty easily and their attacks aren't that horrendous when you've seen it all before.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

FishMcCool posted:

I have seen it mentioned that some people just never engaged him, instead just sticking by the summon signs and resummoning NPCs to tickle him until he dies. You have to survive the first few purple arrows, but after that it should be smooth sailing, if not exactly fast.

I'm stuck on this guy right now, but when I tried this approach I got him down to 20%. Made the mistake of wading in thinking I could finish him off. I think by fine-tuning how I stagger the summons in I might be able to just cheese this fight, which is fine by me at this point.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Truly this is game of the year, no question about it

https://twitter.com/catalystz_/status/1501306007275909125?s=21

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Steve Yun posted:

Yay beating a crucible knight is the most accomplished I’ve felt in this game so far. I can chalk beating Magrit and Goodrick up to some luck but the Stormhill CK was all methodical learning of his patterns, trying a strategy out, it not working and then figuring out a new strategy that let me take the last quarter of his health when I only had a sliver left. It even ended with us both swinging at each other at the end. Ideal experience

That crucible knight has killed me more than any other boss. By the end I'd do 2/3 of his health without getting hit. poo poo has changed since Pursuer and his 5 attacks that he can't cancel or delay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

I was also stuck until I respecced to cast Rotten Breath, (a dragon communion spell that causes scarlet rot). He's super vulnerable to rot, so you pretty just need to hit him with it once in each phase while otherwise riding around to resummon your guys and avoid his BS.

Yeah I noticed his opening cinematic strongly hints at that approach. I may need to try that.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm stuck on this guy right now, but when I tried this approach I got him down to 20%. Made the mistake of wading in thinking I could finish him off. I think by fine-tuning how I stagger the summons in I might be able to just cheese this fight, which is fine by me at this point.

I summoned everybody at first then went in a helped. That wasn't bad with all the others there taking focus. Once he hit the next phase I just ran around summoning guys over and over again. It was slow and boring but the fucker died.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

I let them do their work and raced around to get more summons then I sat at the top of the hill firing Loretta's Greatbow spell and it felt like a suitable get hosed way to win.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rykard is straight up a Berserk apostle lmao. What a sick design and boss fight. They really went all-out on making the confrontation with each Lord feel like a huge event.
They finally nailed the Storm Ruler gimmick perfectly, it feels awesome and powerful wielding the spear but the boss wasn't a total pushover. I almost beat his 2nd phase on my first try but got stuck between the lava and a wall and couldn't nail the final hit. After that I fell into the "suddenly lost all capacity to deal with the first phase" rut and had to call it a night.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Scruffpuff posted:

This wouldn't have worked for me since I never once successfully dodged his rock-homing-soulmass combo attack in my 25ish attempts. Eventually I just dual weapon bursted the rear end in a top hat as hard as I could and managed to kill him before he launched it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Now that I'm level 21 and out of that awful Prophet gear, the game's seemed a lot more open. Ran down to Margit again just to see how the fight looks now, and I got him below 50% my first try, and down to 20% a few more times before I gave up. Pretty awesome, though, since I hadn't realized how much stronger I've become since I ran into him the first time. I was gonna wait til I could equip the Winged Scythe to take him on, but that's still like 14 levels away at minimum and by that time I'll be able to one-shot him. Not sure whether I'll try again today or grind just a little more so it'll be a sure thing.

I've finally got my head around the weapon system I think -- I guess I can pick basically any "base" weapon that I like the moveset for and level that up and put Ashes on it, and it'll stay competitive throughout the game? Or at least until I find some boss weapon later on? I haven't upgraded any weapons yet, and I'm still using the Lordsworn's Straight Sword I found at the Gatefront Ruins, so that might be an easy way to do another 20% damage, too. I want to try the Lordsworn Greatsword but it pushes me wayyyy into Heavy Load, so it'll be a while. Is it a bad idea to upgrade the Straight Sword? I never hear anyone else talk about using it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aurubin posted:

They must pick a theme for all the creepy poo poo in these games. Bloodborne it was eyes, now all the weird hand and finger poo poo.

touch fingers?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I wonder if they turned the Berserk references up to 11 after Kentaro Miura died.

I mean, the Erdtree itself is a reference to a lot of things but the Berserk world tree is among them, Guts' sword is in the game, I've already been by a Hill of Swords analogue in the few hours I've been playing, there's a location called Wyndham, all of the mages since DS1 and Big Hat Logan seem to be a reference to the Berserk witch aesthetic, the Prisoner looking like Griffith, enemies that are like Apostles, etc. It would be cool if it were intentional but if it isn't then it's cool that Miyazaki's aesthetic is so influenced by the Berserk flavor of dark fantasy.

Loving the game so far, looking forward to getting my poo poo kicked in by the bullshit bosses later on so I can decide for myself how much of the crying I see online is legitimate vs "git gud"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Getting good is figuring out how to beat it. Doesn't matter how it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

can someone spoil me some easy to acquire larvae