Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Trying to turn in Renalla’s Rune, and I came to the top of this big library and killed the teleporting mage. I’m up on the rafters and can see a big spiral staircase that looks like it can descend. Am I missing a lever somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fknlo posted:

The boss in shaded castle is loving me up more than anyone else yet. I'm running a sorcery build and that dude being able to hit you from drat near anywhere in his room sucks. He just absolutely trucks all my summons too.

this is one boss where you should absolutely drop your staff, pick up your sword, and hug the guy. all of his hyper dangerous moves are done at medium or long range, but once you get up in his grill and stay there, he does, like, two combos and a shield ground slam and that's it. he's one of the very few bosses in this game that resolutely will not leap away like a rabbit constantly, so take advantage of that

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Trying to turn in Renalla’s Rune, and I came to the top of this big library and killed the teleporting mage. I’m up on the rafters and can see a big spiral staircase that looks like it can descend. Am I missing a lever somewhere?

The way to progress through there is from Ranni's quest, but also Rennala's rune is already powered up and is just used to respec with her

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rennala's rune works differently. It just lets you respec with Rennala and is fully powered-up by default. That area will become accessible by following Ranni's quest and has a different purpose.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Am I missing something when it comes to invading people? You can only invade people who are already doing multiplayer, so you're always outnumbered two to one.

I know you can do red summon signs to get a 1v1 duel, but it's not really the same.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gort posted:

Am I missing something when it comes to invading people? You can only invade people who are already doing multiplayer, so you're always outnumbered two to one.

I know you can do red summon signs to get a 1v1 duel, but it's not really the same.

You're always on the backfoot as an invader, but there are a TON of things you can do to either one or two shot the host. You're either a minor nuisance or a murdergod, this time.

Also invading next to the infinite poise FP-sucking zombies sucks very much and I hate you if you do it, gently caress them

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Yep it’s stacked against you. Going to have to use mobs and zone knowledge a bit, or a broken build. Note I like to invade in sub optimal themed sets so really it’s my own fault when I die to the same four broken weapon arts and dragon breath spam.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

this is one boss where you should absolutely drop your staff, pick up your sword, and hug the guy. all of his hyper dangerous moves are done at medium or long range, but once you get up in his grill and stay there, he does, like, two combos and a shield ground slam and that's it. he's one of the very few bosses in this game that resolutely will not leap away like a rabbit constantly, so take advantage of that

alright, guess I'll do some poking\

Oh, for anyone wondering, the demi human staff looks like it might start outdoing the meteorite staff at around +18

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Yep it’s stacked against you. Going to have to use mobs and zone knowledge a bit, or a broken build. Note I like to invade in sub optimal themed sets so really it’s my own fault when I die to the same four broken weapon arts and dragon breath spam.

I'm never taking this wolf pelt off, poise be damned

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wait volcano manor has a lower area? how do you get to that

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only good fashion souls armor i've found so far is this birdcage i got my body stuck in and even that doesn't really spark joy

and i SEE those swamp wizards in caelid wearing the xanthous crown but they don't drop it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the most important poise breakpoint is 51 with a greatweapon so that you can swat malenia users like a mosquito

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Ok this absolutely owns and I didn't realise it one shot people lmao. You will not get it off 99% of the time because poise is busted as gently caress and everyone is spamming moonveil but man when it happens.

https://giant.gfycat.com/IckyRecentBarnswallow.mp4

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Rennala's rune works differently. It just lets you respec with Rennala and is fully powered-up by default. That area will become accessible by following Ranni's quest and has a different purpose.

Was the thing I had to do with Godrick’s rune unique? Or will I do that again? I’ve been trying to find divine towers.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Ok this absolutely owns and I didn't realise it one shot people lmao. You will not get it off 99% of the time because poise is busted as gently caress and everyone is spamming moonveil but man when it happens.

dang the darkhand grab got hardcore

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

I'm just starting - I want to build my guy around Houndstep or whatever the short little teleport thing you get from the hound guy idk his name - what sort of build would that ability work best with?

Pretend you're explaining mechanics to a five year old, I've never played any DS game only Sekiro

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Was the thing I had to do with Godrick’s rune unique? Or will I do that again? I’ve been trying to find divine towers.

You'll do it again for other runes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You will do it for every other Rune.

The game has some, uh, user experience issues

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Barudak posted:

Honestly it’s about 100% more straightforward then most Fromsoft games, even with stuff like this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wow!!

The HP return from the Blasphemous Blade is awesome!! Worth it if you can swing it!

E: Plus it has little hands like the bosses model…

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i do wish the great runes were more about providing interesting playstyle-altering effects and not having almost all of them just be a heaping pile of free stats

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I didn't know this was a thing until people in this thread were talking about it and what rune arcs do. So I looked it up and I'll have to go mess with it after I kill the dude I'm working on.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The great runes definitely could have used another pass on being interesting, it's a bit pathetic that with hindsight several of the towers are basically completely contentless and pointless

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sultan Tarquin posted:

BTW I'm trying to figure out what madness as a status effect actually does - does it do additional damage and drain FP after it fills, or just FP? The eye laser didn't fill it for me but the emp pulse one did little damage at first then triggered again for more damage (but still not a lot), but it also didn't drain that much FP once the proc hit

The eye laser did like 800 damage on me on its own though and arced around a corner lmao (and staggered me into a zombie that got the kill)

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 9, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Earlier I said there's not much interesting to find in Raya Lucaria. Well I take that back, I went back at level 150 and am combing through it now and I missed a number of really good things, like the talisman that negates fall damage, the talisman that boosts casting speed, and the second sorceror face crown.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW I'm trying to figure out what madness as a status effect actually does - does it do additional damage and drain FP after it fills, or just FP?

it does some additional damage and temporarily stuns you, though i'm unsure if the stun gives you iframes or not

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

The great runes definitely could have used another pass on being interesting, it's a bit pathetic that with hindsight several of the towers are basically completely contentless and pointless

i think you need to approach this from the opposite direction, pretty sure from said "jesus christ we've put so much poo poo in this game already do we really need to fill these towers with stuff too"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vermain posted:

it does some additional damage and temporarily stuns you, though i'm unsure if the stun gives you iframes or not

Thanks, I thought I read it drained FP but I guess not

I'm not sure about the stun because I thought it was just a cooldown on the guy casting it when it triggered on him too lol

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I think when it triggers it drains a chunk of HP & FP and stuns you for a little bit. If you stun someone you can actually grab them with lifesteal fist or inescapable frenzy if you're fast enough, but lifesteal fist does like 30 damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"i sure wish the divine towers had something interesting in them" says man as the monkey's paw curls and an ulcerated tree spirit appears on the top of godrick's tower

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I think when it triggers it drains a chunk of HP & FP and stuns you for a little bit. If you stun someone you can actually grab them with lifesteal fist or inescapable frenzy if you're fast enough, but lifesteal fist does like 30 damage.

Lifesteal fist was very exciting to find and very disappointing to use lmao

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think that's true, all of the towers have *something* involved with their unlock (a dungeon, a boss, platforming) to the point they shoehorned fell twins into the game.

The great runes themselves are fairly dull but they can't be too much more interesting than a bonus talisman slot given how much they interact with everything in the game. Would enjoy a +runes great rune though that would be fun.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm not really saying to copy paste some content into the empty towers per se, I'm more saying at least make the other runes as compelling as godrick's for 95% of use cases

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Harrow posted:

I went looking for a video demonstration of Barricade Shield's effectiveness and lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJOgETfbWw

This video starts out showing how you can straight-up block boss attacks for tiny bits of Stamina on NG+ with a heater shield using that art and a Greatshield Talisman.

If you've ever been sad that shields aren't more effective in past Souls games, Elden Ring's got your back.

I'm running something similar that focuses on gaurd counters and staggers. Using curved sword, turtle and cerulean dagger talismans, block counter everything and then do stagger crits that regen FP.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I dunno if the one-two boss punch that is Fire Giant immediately followed up by the Dynamic Duo, but pretty much every boss since maybe the first few have given me a “well, I’m glad that is over so I can never do that again in the near future” and I’m kinda bummed that I am not having nearly as much fun with the bosses as I thought i would.

The balancing being all over the place is one thing but, I’m sorry, Fire giant is loving lame as hell

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
What's the point of the coliseum buildings? I haven't found a way into any of them.

Also I found a whole new area connected to the capital. Went down a little unassuming well, and bam, giant sewers! Might have to use pen and paper for that area because the layout is confusing. I also realized I completely overlooked the path to the northeastern part of the map 30 hours of playtime ago.

Still rocking that longsword that dropped from one of the soldiers in the very first ruin, and I always forget that I have weapon arts, but I compensate by being excessively overleveled after exploring every nook and cranny.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm about a lvl 35 Samurai and I guess Godrick?? is the next boss I need to kill. Still haven't found him. Anyways, I'm still rocking the starting armor and sword. I've gotten a good amount of weapons and armor, but nothing that really seems to outshine what I already have. Am I missing something? Spoilers welcome!

Also, for spirit ashes I've been sticking with the 3 doggos, but I found Lhutel the Headless which costs about 40 more FP than I have. Is it worth investing levels into FP for higher tier summons or would that gimp me later on?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Entering the upper ainsel river area:

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Vermain posted:

"i sure wish the divine towers had something interesting in them" says man as the monkey's paw curls and an ulcerated tree spirit appears on the top of godrick's tower

So innocent. You will regret your wish much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ymgve posted:

What's the point of the coliseum buildings? I haven't found a way into any of them.

You can't get inside by normal means. If you hack in there are pretty fully modeled colliseum areas, likely eg battle arena DLC or else cut content. This article's kinda trash but it has video of the inside https://kotaku.com/elden-ring-pvp-dlc-coliseum-area-multiplayer-mp-boss-ru-1848617192

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 9, 2022