Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

virtual russian has an almost dostoyevskyian struggle in feeding his addiction

Oh no, it comes across that clearly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
completely anecdotal, but I just remembered when I bought the 6th edition dark vengeance set and ended up making a profit on that eventually. Just from selling the rulebook and a few of the models I didn't want

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

Oh no, it comes across that clearly?

Yes, but I also understand the struggle. I recently found an old set of Halfling dice from like, pre-COVID times and at pre-2020 prices and got unreasonably excited in the store. It's not like they were super cheap! They just weren't 24$.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Eediot Jedi posted:

Cursed City was a limited stock item that people didn't know was limited until it was too late and already scarce, and there was no guarantee it was ever coming back. Pick another example, nothing else from GW has ever had a situation like that to the best of my knowledge.

I bought that awful BT box and sold most of it to get a final 50% off retail discount on the only items I actually wanted from it. I could probably have sold the lot for a minor profit but to use that as "buy buy buy!" advice is lol real questionable.

For crying out loud, you say my experience with one box doesn't count, and then offer your experience with one box as justification.

And how does Cursed City not count? If I was able to sell things off at a profit, and still keep portions that I wanted, all while the game was still available at MSRP, how does that not prove my point?

But, to counter, I've done it with starters for Warcry, 40K, Necromunda, and AOS, none of which were limited, and all of which I wanted specific items from, but not everything. I spent the entirety of 2019 at net zero spending by breaking up sets and selling what I didn't want and keeping the rest (spent $3464, made $3544.) Bear in mind, this is when I thought I was going to be playing 40K and age of sigmar - I've decided I'm just going to go skirmish for the most part, so I can still sell off all those extra Space Marines I have, the extra Stormcast, etc. This year, I sold off an entire Army for AT because I decided I don't want to be responsible for painting two of them, so you can add that to the profit margin as well.

The "buy buy buy," as you put it, comes down to "if you are on the fence about something GW is going to release, especially if it's a big value box like CC or a big splash release, it's a good idea to pick it up, because you never know when GW is going to decide to pull the plug. I never said "be in a mad rush to grab everything GW releases and you'll be rich!"

Related, how many people sat on picking up Blackstone fortress expansions? Those things go for hundreds of dollars each.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Double post

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 6, 2022

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I made the mistake of saying in the official AT group that I had bought the starter set and put it in the back of my closet because GW is going to gently caress up like they did with Epic and cancel it in a week after giving it no support. The guy who wrote the game jumped on me like I just grabbed his wife's rear end so I probably cursed the game to never have any after market value or ever go out of print.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Virtual Russian posted:

Yeah it is this. I play Epic and LotR, I've never found something online for cheap, I did not mean my quote as an attack. I've just never bought something second hand that wasn't brutally marked up. Plus yes, in Canada a ton of the boxed games are just never available and are also insanely priced.

I would love nothing more than reasonably priced Epic. I got into the game (+BFG) in the late 90s/early 00s due to a combination of enjoyment and low cost to buy in. I still love the games, but man, the cost is rough these days.

Epic 40k is surprisingly cheap if you haven't checked prices in a couple years. The number of people making files for it has exploded. You can print a whole army for less than $40 (not included the cost of a resin printer ofc), or buy a printed one off facebook/discord/reddit

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

berzerkmonkey posted:

For crying out loud, you say my experience with one box doesn't count, and then offer your experience with one box as justification.

And how does Cursed City not count? If I was able to sell things off at a profit, and still keep portions that I wanted, all while the game was still available at MSRP, how does that not prove my point?

Are you having a bad day?

If you read the quote you could answer these questions for yourself.

I wasn't attacking you but talking about my own experience, and how using that to go "just buy it" would be questionable, nothing to do with yours.

Like thanks for providing extra info as asked but feel free to gently caress off.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I made the mistake of saying in the official AT group that I had bought the starter set and put it in the back of my closet because GW is going to gently caress up like they did with Epic and cancel it in a week after giving it no support. The guy who wrote the game jumped on me like I just grabbed his wife's rear end so I probably cursed the game to never have any after market value or ever go out of print.

He's a very, very talkative man. Did he ream you out or sealion?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

goodness posted:

Epic 40k is surprisingly cheap if you haven't checked prices in a couple years. The number of people making files for it has exploded. You can print a whole army for less than $40 (not included the cost of a resin printer ofc), or buy a printed one off facebook/discord/reddit

It depends what you get, plus I don't have a printer and don't have a space to set it up safely. I've been fiddling with making my own STLs to get someone to print. I've got a Guard army I converted from 6mm napoleonic to be Vostroyans. However, I'm not 100% happy with them, so I'm going to make my perfect vostroyans and get them printed at what will be an absurd cost I'm sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Enough with the slapfight over whether or not certain GW products are profitable to resell or whatever. Agree to disagree, move on, thanks.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Are Kill Team Death Guard really so weak that they needed an extra warrior? They've been dominating around here.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Electric Hobo posted:

Are Kill Team Death Guard really so weak that they needed an extra warrior? They've been dominating around here.

Not having played yet, could it be a grabbing objectives issue?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not having played yet, could it be a grabbing objectives issue?
Maybe, but they've giving all space marine teams extra warriors. Maybe they're getting ready for something in the next box.
My issue with buffing DG is that they're already tougher, and way more flexible than most other marine teams, and they have the old disgustingly resiliy.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 7, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
GW is really really bad at making rules easy to find, or collected in one place

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/NoRqWNpHoXuqIbg8.pdf

Edit: and DG really stink at playing the objective with their 4" movement

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electric Hobo posted:

Maybe, but they've giving all space marine teams extra warriors. Maybe they're getting ready for something in the next box.
My issue with buffing DG is that they're already tougher, and way more flexible than most other marine teams, and they have the old disgustingly resiliy.

I missed this, are the original space marine kills teams modified somewhere?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

I missed this, are the original space marine kills teams modified somewhere?
Yeah, GW hid a balance update in the "check out the CSM guys" post. https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/NoRqWNpHoXuqIbg8.pdf

All marine fireteams, except scouts and tacticals get another warriors. Grey Knights and Death Guard also get one.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Now Kill Team has crazy terrain rules: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/09/create-cinematic-movie-moments-with-kill-team-nachmunds-interactive-killzone/

Not sure how I feel about this yet.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

At the core I like the new Kill Team rules, but reading through stuff and seeing a shape in every sentence just makes my eyes glaze over. It's not easy to parse at first read and I have to slow way the hell down and translate the shapes to measurements in my head.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

A lot of it being narrative only seems like the right call. Adds flavour

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh this is just like the terrain rules we ignored in 40k and in WHFB before it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ristolaz posted:

A lot of it being narrative only seems like the right call. Adds flavour

Anyone who wants to use em can while the rest can safely ignore it. That's the right move

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Electric Hobo posted:

All marine fireteams, except scouts and tacticals get another warriors. Grey Knights and Death Guard also get one.

Craftworld teams too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Also serveral compendium teams are now officially replaced by their White Dwarf teams, confirming that not buying the compendium was the right choice.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For fans of Epic and/or Itty bitty Necrons, Ankylo Studios has a new kickstarter up for tiny Necrons.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Also serveral compendium teams are now officially replaced by their White Dwarf teams, confirming that not buying the compendium was the right choice.

The compendium should have been a free pdf, like most of the rulebooks should be

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Only for organized play/tournaments, and even then it's only "recommended."

Spanish Manlove posted:

The compendium should have been a free pdf, like most of the rulebooks should be

But also this. Yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

im the Eldar going "whoa stand back buddy, that things gonna belch!"

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Of COURSE Eldar would have OSHA inspectors that nobody fuckin' listens to.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Gonna make a killing selling 3D printed vent covers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And me with a brand new Epic Necron force. Oh well, this'll round out my infantry nicely.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lumpy posted:

Gonna make a killing selling 3D printed vent covers.

"Wait, this is just a buttplug!"
"I didn't say what vent they were meant for :grin:"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Of COURSE Eldar would have OSHA inspectors that nobody fuckin' listens to.

The Tears of Osha.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

moths posted:

Oh this is just like the terrain rules we ignored in 40k and in WHFB before it.

I too walked this path before I switched to Necromunda and I am here to tell you that dumb silly terrain rules loving own and make every toy soldiers game 200% better.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Guildencrantz posted:

I too walked this path before I switched to Necromunda and I am here to tell you that dumb silly terrain rules loving own and make every toy soldiers game 200% better.

I love crazy terrain rules like this in Necromunda specifically. But I like to play NM as a slapstick comedy game where you try to get a model to do a cool thing, but instead they trip and fall off a ledge and loving die

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Long ago when playing Mordheim, We were running a bunch of optional rules, and the random events table ended up having a “chaos” tree attack my warband leader and take them out of action.

Everybody else thought it was hilarious.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 10, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moola posted:

I love crazy terrain rules like this in Necromunda specifically. But I like to play NM as a slapstick comedy game where you try to get a model to do a cool thing, but instead they trip and fall off a ledge and loving die

Probably good for killteam too

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Playing 8th edition warhammer I had a 40 strong orc unit try to charge through a river that ended up being dangerous terrain. It killed 1/4 of them as they crossed it, they failed a panic check and then a bunch more died when they fled through it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Eediot Jedi posted:

The Tears of Osha.

Everyone is a Sentinel Power Lifter Operator until the real Sentinel Power Lifter Operator shows up.