Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hivers were the onee with the gates right? They were my favourite and my buddy loving hated them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
My favourite Hiver thing was harvesting the entire galaxy with mining ships and dumping it all on my homeworld. Why yes, I would like one planet with the industrial capacity of everyone elses empires combined, thank you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Grey Hunter posted:

I like the ship builder in Distant worlds, as you can mostly ignore it then make that wierd ship if you need to.

Bar whacking 5x the fuel storage the default designs come with.

I got an hour of Distant Worlds 2 in this morning , and it feels good so far, even with the limited press build I got. the UI feels a lot better - though I can't tell if the automation controls are hidden, missing from the game or just missing from my version!

(also I look forward to recreating my title event.)

Does DW2 have all the old features of DW1 like pirate empires with different mechanics, carriers that can launch fighters, multiple start ages, etc, etc?

Basically trying to see if it's a graphical upgrade only and if they're going to resell the old features back to us. If so it'd be better to stick with DW1 given it's insane modding community.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m curious too, regarding DW, but I’m imagining a lot might come into the game later in expansions. Pirates and such was added in an expansion also, as well.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Archonex posted:

Does DW2 have all the old features of DW1 like pirate empires with different mechanics, carriers that can launch fighters, multiple start ages, etc, etc?

Basically trying to see if it's a graphical upgrade only and if they're going to resell the old features back to us. If so it'd be better to stick with DW1 given it's insane modding community.

This here is a nice multi part preview of the game. Guy was getting pirates just like in the first one.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Theswarms posted:

My favourite Hiver thing was harvesting the entire galaxy with mining ships and dumping it all on my homeworld. Why yes, I would like one planet with the industrial capacity of everyone elses empires combined, thank you.

My favorite thing was how reactive the AI were in countering your ship designs. I had gone all-in with antimatter projectors, an end-game weapon. Normally it tore enemy ships to shreds.... but one empire had built a significant fleet with shields that absorbed my shots to fire their own antimatter cannons, and the sheer firepower I was pushing out meant my fleet got decked in the face with its own shots. It was a great moment of panic in an otherwise typical mop-up job.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
What's the best version of Space Empires to play today?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's the best version of Space Empires to play today?

I'm fond of space empires 4 with the devnull 1.8 mod. It's a very mild rebalance and not a total conversion.

edit: vvvvvv oh yeah, they're in there

chairface fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

chairface posted:

I'm fond of space empires 4 with the devnull 1.8 mod. It's a very mild rebalance and not a total conversion.

I think they are part of Devnull, but be sure to include the United Floral Empire in your games. They are far and away the most challenging AI race created for the game, and have fairly nice ship art as well.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AI War 2 Patch Notes posted:

A CPU Load Estimator in the lobby now lets you know what level of CPU Load the game you are contemplating is likely to require in the late game. The early game pretty much always performs great (better than ever now, too), but if you're setting yourself up for a choppy late-game experience, you now can see that.

More 4X games should have that as a feature.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
:thunk: I've been playing some Civ 6 now that I got the big megahuge pack on sale (bad idea probably), and I was wondering, is there a way to prevent the last city of a hostile civ from defecting towards me due to loyalty loss? I usually like to keep defeated civs around as pets :3:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I think if you let it go neutral, then conquer it with your army and hand it back to the original owner, it'll never experience loyalty loss from your cities again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I broke my no preorders rule for DW2 and now I see this thread is talking about Sword of the Stars on the same page. That's not a good omen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Splicer posted:

I broke my no preorders rule for DW2 and now I see this thread is talking about Sword of the Stars on the same page. That's not a good omen.

Hang in there! I too am anxiously awaiting Distant Worlds 2! I'm hoping it's just Distant Worlds 1 with better graphics/art and UI. I'm mostly fine with how everything else in that game was.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Splicer posted:

No company is as incompetent as Kerberos, so don't make that connection. And at least if something goes wrong you're not going to get a transparently absurd series of lies about why it's not their fault the game is crap

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Bug Squash posted:

No company is as incompetent as Kerberos, so don't make that connection. And at least if something goes wrong you're not going to get a transparently absurd series of lies about why it's not their fault the game is crap

But the transparently absurd series of lies was the best part!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo I forgot that was coming out, and it comes out tomorrow :stare: I never played the first, so I'll wait for news from the thread

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't remember the lies, I just remember the game being bad. What were the lies?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot that was coming out, and it comes out tomorrow :stare: I never played the first, so I'll wait for news from the thread

I had the first game in my Steam library since Universe first came out, but never really got into it. Finally decided to watch TortugaPower’s tutorial YouTube series and start from the prewarp era and do everything manually, until I knew what did what, and got in a solid 40-50 hour playthrough just a couple weeks back. The game is not nearly as complex as the UI makes it seem. I’d also strongly recommend against just jumping in with automation on. That was the old thread recommended way to approach the game, and I’m sure it works for some folks. For me it just made learning the game harder, because everything is happening all at once, ships are flying everywhere and notifications are popping up left and right and non of it makes any sense. Best to learn how to do things manually, so you’ll understand what the automation is actually doing, and what it does and doesn’t do so well.

At least, that’s my advice. And all that said, the game is really addicting!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Is there a thread for DW or going to be one for DW2? I’m watching a preview LP now and can already feel my an urge to buy it even though I know I’m too dumb to ever be good at it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anno posted:

Is there a thread for DW or going to be one for DW2? I’m watching a preview LP now and can already feel my an urge to buy it even though I know I’m too dumb to ever be good at it.

Because of the automation, you don't have to be good to play. I don't know how automation works in DW2 but hopefully you can start with everything manual and then as you realize you can't quite handle a particular mechanic automate it and simply work with what you are comfortable with.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Mayveena posted:

Because of the automation, you don't have to be good to play. I don't know how automation works in DW2 but hopefully you can start with everything manual and then as you realize you can't quite handle a particular mechanic automate it and simply work with what you are comfortable with.

Yeah, and I guess I have to convince myself I can automate a lot of stuff and feel okay with it. Normally I don’t automate anything in games because I like all the fiddly bits. But this game is like five games worth of fiddly bits.

Watching the little ore extraction/hauling vessels slowly move around this asteroid belt in this video is everything I ever wanted Stellaris to do “flavor” wise.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

chaosapiant posted:

I had the first game in my Steam library since Universe first came out, but never really got into it. Finally decided to watch TortugaPower’s tutorial YouTube series and start from the prewarp era and do everything manually, until I knew what did what, and got in a solid 40-50 hour playthrough just a couple weeks back. The game is not nearly as complex as the UI makes it seem. I’d also strongly recommend against just jumping in with automation on. That was the old thread recommended way to approach the game, and I’m sure it works for some folks. For me it just made learning the game harder, because everything is happening all at once, ships are flying everywhere and notifications are popping up left and right and non of it makes any sense. Best to learn how to do things manually, so you’ll understand what the automation is actually doing, and what it does and doesn’t do so well.

At least, that’s my advice. And all that said, the game is really addicting!

the automation in DW isn't good at the game, but it is exactly as bad as every other AI player, so as long as you're doing something useful you can just tune out all the notifications and trust it'll probably be doing solidly mediocre at whatever it is until you feel like coming in to clean up after it

Clarste posted:

I don't remember the lies, I just remember the game being bad. What were the lies?

i don't remember any particularly interesting lies either just Mecron being a tremendous blowhard, which had gotten old by that point anyway

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 9, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

did you ever play the first? from what i've seen of the sequel, it is more of a graphical/UI overhaul with some additional new components. if so, it's going to kick rear end, distant world was and is an interesting take on the space 4x genre but its a little dated and laggy

Anno posted:

distant worlds doesn't do anything that other 4x games fail to do. it's just that in distant worlds there is MORE of everything. like, a solar system will have dozens of objects in it, it will simulate all the civilian ships, so that when some monster on some random asteroid attacks some obscure bulk ore hauler your navy will need to respond... same kind of stuff as in another 4x, but very granularly modeled instead of being abstracted

just automate most things, it is no big deal. you can choose what to automate and what not to automate. you can leave things like diplomacy, research, and starbase construction under your control while automating taxes, fleets, army construction, etc. any time you have to spend money the game won't just do it, it will pop up a little window explaining what it wants to do and you get a yes/no approval. it isn't a galaxy brain game

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the automation in DW isn't good at the game, but it is exactly as bad as every other AI player, so as long as you're doing something useful you can just tune out all the notifications and trust it'll probably be doing solidly mediocre at whatever it is until you feel like coming in to clean up after it
I think this was my biggest issue with automation: not that it is bad or good, but it's hard to tell what it's doing well. And if it's doing bad poo poo, like tanking your income for automated ship building, if you're not already aware of how to play those parts of the game you're gonna be so confused as to why you're losing money.

We have an old DW thread somewhere on the board, but I think the last post was like in 2016/2017. I can't tell if it's archived or not. I re-read the entire thing a couple weeks back when I was actively playing the game, and tons of folks would have questions about "why is my income falling?" or "what are my spies doing" or "why doesn't this empire like me" or especially "how the gently caress do I used the ship/station builder?" And those are decent enough to automate, but you'll never actually understand how they work if you just leave automation on. There are SO many great ways to optimize builds and such, AND you can save your own designs so you don't have to keep re-designing ships when you start a new game. I loving love this game!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

chaosapiant posted:

I think this was my biggest issue with automation: not that it is bad or good, but it's hard to tell what it's doing well. And if it's doing bad poo poo, like tanking your income for automated ship building, if you're not already aware of how to play those parts of the game you're gonna be so confused as to why you're losing money.

We have an old DW thread somewhere on the board, but I think the last post was like in 2016/2017. I can't tell if it's archived or not. I re-read the entire thing a couple weeks back when I was actively playing the game, and tons of folks would have questions about "why is my income falling?" or "what are my spies doing" or "why doesn't this empire like me" or especially "how the gently caress do I used the ship/station builder?" And those are decent enough to automate, but you'll never actually understand how they work if you just leave automation on. There are SO many great ways to optimize builds and such, AND you can save your own designs so you don't have to keep re-designing ships when you start a new game. I loving love this game!

This is why I think it's better to go manual and then automate as you go along and understand what you are expecting from the automation. That way if the automation is worse than you would be you can turn it off.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Clarste posted:

Kerberos was more or less forced to release SotS2 by the publisher after ages of development hell, and it was obviously a buggy unfinished unplayable mess with systems that fundamentally were bad game design. Rather than admit that they hadn't finished the game, Mekron gave this shaggy dog story about how he released the game from a traffic jam over the phone, and it had somehow been an old version that had been released, and they could now only release updates from this bad version which would be painfully slow. When asked why they couldn't just remove the old version and upload the mythical working version, they responded with silence (since it was obvious they were just lying out their asses). They've maintained this charade ever since. While the game has eventually become playable, the fundantally bad systems mean it will never be "fun". In it's defence the combat system is meant to be genuinely pretty good. Guess which part Kerberos outsourced?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mayveena posted:

This is why I think it's better to go manual and then automate as you go along and understand what you are expecting from the automation. That way if the automation is worse than you would be you can turn it off.

Yep, that's what I'm saying above. This is the way to do it. The game's automation is awesome, but there's limitations and it helps to know when and why you might want to automate something.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I spent like $118 on distant worlds because I was into it before universe combined the dlcs.

I bought DW2 just now.

I'm going to try my old strategies of making a custom cheap, barebones "space orbital" (I forget what it's called) before I can afford my first real space station.

This used to slightly juice your economy until you could afford a better station.

I also used to make tons of heavily armored troop transports to serve as chaff during a fight over the airspace over an enemy planet, or to disguise the 12 or so real fully loaded troop transports that you used to be able to fill with giant fighting aliens you could find.

You could win a planet with ground troops and win their airspace over to your side relatively undamaged.

In other words there is some room to think outside of the box, once you get a handle on the manual side.

I think I played the "ice weasels" race the most and that isn't in the game, yet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another DW “trick” I’m hoping still works is keeping tax at zero percent as long as you can to raise population.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

chaosapiant posted:

Another DW “trick” I’m hoping still works is keeping tax at zero percent as long as you can to raise population.

They’ve definitely addressed this one!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the best part about dw automation is that you can always make exceptions. I want my construction ships automated... Except for one or two in case I need something special built. Im going to automate ship design, except for these one or two wierd ships classes I'm trying something different with. It's pretty easy to keep all the busy work automated while you focus on Actually Important stuff.

Anno
May 10, 2017

How much does exploration or story/lore/world stuff play into the game? I really love bopping about in Stellaris scanning stuff and excavating archaeological sites and whatnot.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Anno posted:

How much does exploration or story/lore/world stuff play into the game? I really love bopping about in Stellaris scanning stuff and excavating archaeological sites and whatnot.

not as much as Stellaris. For DW1 you can automate exploration from the start and it'll tell you when you find unique structures, which usually just give a buff to the planet of some kind. Once you enter the mid game you start seeing more lore regarding The Big Lategame Threat and it's backstory but it's static and once you know what's going on you know.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

I will say in Paradox's (the publisher?) defense that they refunded my copy SotS 2 when I asked for it in 2016, like five years after it came out. Granted I had less than two hours played but they were supremely cool and their support people apparently got a good laugh about it.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 9, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

did you ever play the first? from what i've seen of the sequel, it is more of a graphical/UI overhaul with some additional new components. if so, it's going to kick rear end, distant world was and is an interesting take on the space 4x genre but its a little dated and laggy
Nope, but the last game I preordered was Sword of the Stars II so I guess I just have a brain hole for space games

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the distant world devs are pretty good so i would be surprised if this game was hosed up, given that it seems to be mostly just a clone of the original

the biggest thing to get a handle on is the public/private economy split. basically you cannot control civilian ships in any way, they are permanently automated and they run around picking up material at points of high supply and dropping them off at points of demand. for example, when you build ships or stations, those creations need a reactor to produce power. reactors are made with like steel, lead, helium, etc. and burn caslon gas for fuel. the place where you build these things, which is your homeworld at first, will begin to generate demand for steel, lead, helium, caslon, and other materials. these materials do not just warp around your empire, they have to be carried in ships. civilian transport ships will do the work of transporting these things from places where they are mined to places where they are consumed. likewise, population doesn't warp between planets, it is actually carried in passenger ships from one planet to another

there are no civilian shipyards. the shipyards you build to make your own military fleets, will also build civilian ships. you collect a fee from the civilian economy for this service, and when you tax your empire, you are not taxing an abstract entity, you are taxing the modeled civilian economy. it is possible to tax your own economy into oblivion in this game! you have to go out of your way to do this but it is possible

this all sounds complicated but really it isn't, it will mostly run itself without too much intervention on your part, regardless of the automation level. if you insist on managing all of your construction ships yourself you will want to ensure that you are sending them to build mining stations on resource-rich objects. otherwise, the civilian economy will use freelance mining ships to go out and collect steel, lead, caslon, and so on. state owned mining stations will also generate these materials, to be collected by civilian cargo ships. your economy will collect docking fees as civilian ships berth to unload cargo and resupply on fuel at your state-run spaceports

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That sounds super cool actually, I really liked the public/private split in Shadow Empire as well

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea, the public/private split in DW is awesome and after playing it, makes other 4Xs seem dead by comparison. DW’s private sector running about their duties is somewhat akin to watching poo poo happen in Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld. It’s awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Danaru posted:

That sounds super cool actually, I really liked the public/private split in Shadow Empire as well

i wouldn't be surprised if distant worlds was a source of inspiration for shadow empire in this regard

in retrospect, i think one cause of the "swingy" economy is due to the variable nature of these construction and docking fees. for example, when you expand your economy by colonizing another planet in a distant solar system, the civilian economy will respond by seeing the suddenly increased demand for goods relative to hulls to carry goods in, and if there is sufficient money in the civilian purse, new ships will be ordered. this results in a windfall of fees for you, and a nice bump to your bottom line. however, this is a temporary rush - once those ships are constructed, your income will fall to the baseline of taxation. your income jumps around a LOT in this game, because your sources of funding are so variable at first. you might think, wow, i'm loaded, time to expand the navy! except suddenly your income falls and now you can't afford upkeep because you pushed your budget to the limit

just keep in mind that a slow, steady expansion of the economy is the safest way to go. trying to min/max things before you really get the highs and lows of the game means you're likely to keep running headlong into budgeting problems. a large empire with multiple planets will have a much more stable base of funding than a smaller economy which is subject to more extreme temporary events like "warp drives now exist, time for all the civilian ships to retrofit" or "we just discovered hyperweed for the first time, and everyone wants a kilo, time for a shipping boom" or "we now have an offworld colony, there is justification for passenger ships to exist"

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 9, 2022