Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It was the ultimate power move by Kojima, when Snake Eater was ported to the 3DS and heavily advertised with the 3D gimmick, to halfway through the game disable the 3D because Snake loses an eye and thus depth perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Vic posted:

"I'm sitting in this F1 car on a racetrack, the light just turned green, but what's my motivation to race? Maybe I want a soda. Game could be clearer about my motivations as a character."

Thats just theFast and The Furious series dude

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hihohe posted:

not enough latent homoeroticism

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just paid $4.29/gallon to fill up my car in northern VA, how's it looking everywhere else?

Good news is that car doesn't see much use anymore so I probably won't have to fill it up again for months (unless assholes siphon it, which I bet will become a thing in the coming months).

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

welp, pack it in fellas

Vakal
May 11, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Good news is that car doesn't see much use anymore so I probably won't have to fill it up again for months (unless assholes siphon it, which I bet will become a thing in the coming months).

Just buy a locking gas cap.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just paid $4.29/gallon to fill up my car in northern VA, how's it looking everywhere else?

I only now realize I posted this in the wrong thread but I'm gonna leave it

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

welp, pack it in fellas

Just because someone plays a game for a long time doesn't actually mean the game is good.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hihohe posted:

Wrong that series is about FAMLY and sometimes cars

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

The Protagonist posted:

That scene from the beginning of From Dusk Til Dawn but instead it's Miyazaki yelling about dragons

I didn't get to the titty dragon part, is there in the weird flesh lands

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Vic posted:

"I'm sitting in this F1 car on a racetrack, the light just turned green, but what's my motivation to race? Maybe I want a soda. Game could be clearer about my motivations as a character."

It's just not taht good of a game mate

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lol people really need to believe a masterpiece didn't just come out because they're bad

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

Just because someone plays a game for a long time doesn't actually mean the game is good.

Maybe not, but it does usually mean that that particular person thinks it's good.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Protagonist posted:

where will u drive on the motorcycle

to the top of the mountain

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wow sonic team racing is poo poo, huh?

Why has nobody made a good Mario kart clone since Wacky Wheels? It doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Quote-Unquote posted:

Wow sonic team racing is poo poo, huh?

Why has nobody made a good Mario kart clone since Wacky Wheels? It doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

Uh crash team racing mate. Better than Mario kart imo. The original anyway I didn't play the new ctr

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I'm not a Souls fan. At all. But I'm now an Elden Ring fan. I'm still not going to have any interest in another standard Souls game, but ER2 yes please. The open world/freedom of choice makes all the difference.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I don't think anyone ever answered my question. In Elden Ring are there NPCs you can kill that don't fight back? You know, like scientists.

What are you doing Gordon?!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

kntfkr posted:

I don't think anyone ever answered my question. In Elden Ring are there NPCs you can kill that don't fight back? You know, like scientists.

There is wildlife that just runs away.

You can kill a turtle if you want my wrath

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

Maybe not, but it does usually mean that that particular person thinks it's good.

Not really. Like I don't think that a single person who plays Eve Online would call it a good game. I can think of a lot of other games that were ok for 80 hours but didn't wind up being something that I would rate Good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Yes there are a lot of scientists and janitors in Elden Ring

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gently caress those scientists up

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Harrow posted:

It's also never been unclear to me why I'm fighting a boss. Every story-relevant boss (including side quest bosses) that isn't just a mindless monster of some kind has a clear reason for being where they are and a clear reason for fighting you which they will probably tell you in a cutscene before the fight or with mid-fight voice clips.

what the gently caress is the tree sentinel's beef

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

what the gently caress is the tree sentinel's beef

stay the gently caress away from the tree bitch

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Not really. Like I don't think that a single person who plays Eve Online would call it a good game. I can think of a lot of other games that were ok for 80 hours but didn't wind up being something that I would rate Good

MMOs don't count. Seriously though, the point is that it's rather odd for someone to max out achievements in a game and then say that they don't recommend it, as it would seem to strongly indicate that they did in fact think it was worth playing. Like, you thought it was worth your time, why not mine?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 hours!)

Devils Affricate posted:

there can be an effect when you play something that you are getting strung along by the promise of something worth going through the motions for, whether it's story or cool locations or better gameplay, and then you get towards the end and you realise it isn't coming and it feels a bit like you've wasted your time.

it doesn't mean you weren't actually having fun before that but there's a death of magic that can be deflating and i think if a game lets that happen while you're still playing it, it's hosed up somewhere.

elden ring has that problem a bit. it goes only for about 6 major areas and 20 hours longer than i think it should've just for the sake of being big.

30-40 hours in i'd say i was having a great time. 70-80 hours in i'm having a kind of decent time, just about enough to finish the thing off but i can see why people would go lower.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hihohe posted:

When will racing games address the high gas prices?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Harrow posted:

At no point in Elden Ring is it ever unclear what your character's motivation is. At the start you're some outcast who has been shunned by the light of the Main God but now the world is so hosed up that even outcasts are being called back to the land of the gods because nobody's been able to fix it. You're there because you've been called by the light of Grace to fix the Elden Ring, which will make the world un-hosed. Turns out you're not alone and other outcasts like yourself have been called back, too, and you meet a lot of them. Along the way you also meet NPCs who tell you all of the ways the world is hosed up and offer multiple options for ways to fix it, or not fix it, or throw the whole previous order away and take a new path, and that part's up to the player.

It's also never been unclear to me why I'm fighting a boss. Every story-relevant boss (including side quest bosses) that isn't just a mindless monster of some kind has a clear reason for being where they are and a clear reason for fighting you which they will probably tell you in a cutscene before the fight or with mid-fight voice clips.

The part that's left mysterious is the full backstory of the world and that's the part you can piece together with NPC dialogue, item descriptions, the environment, and just overall context. (It's also helpful to approach the backstory remembering that it's intentionally very mythic and full of gods doing god things, up to and including a big part of the conflict coming because a couple of gods had a messy break up.)

who gaf about some smashed up ring. stupid fantasy wank

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

abigserve posted:

I think kojimas games have a certain personality that elevates them above being just good games into being something memorable every time. The problem is that same personality often detracts from the game as well so idk I just want mgs5 but without the stupid story

This is one reason why I prefer MGS games to Revengeance. Despite the silliness, I find MGR to be the most cynical game in the series, at least of the ones I' know of (I avoided MGSV stuff as much as possible). I might hate MGS4 with a passion but at least Raiden had a happy ending. There is no happy ending for him as of MGR, he just has to keep killing people because that's all he can do as a former child soldier.

Kojima's message was always "no matter your circumstances, be it genetics or environment, you make your own choices and destiny." In MGS1, 2, and 4, Snake and Raiden go through a ton of poo poo in which every fiber of their being is scrutinized and attacked and everything they believe in is doubted....but they emerge from it as more whole and healthy people.

Somebody earlier said Kojima got by doing something when everybody else was doing nothing. That might be true. But he was doing something with a noble aim. His reach might exceed his grasp but oh well, at least he was trying to pass on a positive message to millions of young people.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

roomtone posted:

there can be an effect when you play something that you are getting strung along by the promise of something worth going through the motions for, whether it's story or cool locations or better gameplay, and then you get towards the end and you realise it isn't coming and it feels a bit like you've wasted your time.

it doesn't mean you weren't actually having fun before that but there's a death of magic that can be deflating and i think if a game lets that happen while you're still playing it, it's hosed up somewhere.

elden ring has that problem a bit. it goes only for about 6 major areas and 20 hours longer than i think it should've just for the sake of being big.

30-40 hours in i'd say i was having a great time. 70-80 hours in i'm having a kind of decent time, just about enough to finish the thing off but i can see why people would go lower.

You’ve put two full time work weeks into Elden Ring since it came out. That’s just called getting burned out on something.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

you gotta have an on/off day schedule where you just invade and/or bluecop if you're a freak

(ABCAB)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 hours!)

Dewgy posted:

You’ve put two full time work weeks into Elden Ring since it came out. That’s just called getting burned out on something.

i play it during my actual full time work week cos i work overnight shifts on my own.

things should know when to end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

MMOs don't count. Seriously though, the point is that it's rather odd for someone to max out achievements in a game and then say that they don't recommend it, as it would seem to strongly indicate that they did in fact think it was worth playing. Like, you thought it was worth your time, why not mine?

Because "effective time waster that retained my attention" and "good game that in retrospect I enjoyed overall" are different metrics. This is why MMOs count

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Petrol just jumped to £1.57/litre round my ends. I also commute 50 miles a day lmao

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

Sure, but not always. I have a gently caress ton of hours playing the bad game Hearthstone. There's a discussion to be had about why (I like building decks, it's a low effort popcorn game, I won't pay for cards so I must keep playing if I want to be able to keep playing) they still play and it seems like a shame to just go LOL look at that time played and ignore what they're saying. I want games focused on being fun, not how long someone plays them.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 10, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DOTA is objectively bad no matter how many hours one puts into it. I probably put 100 hours into it, that doesn't mean that I think it's a good game.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

DOTA is objectively good at taking money from irredeemable nerds and giving it to valve, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Moving money from one irredeemable nerd to another

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

Zzulu posted:

I have accepted that I will always be in the minority when it comes to Dark Souls games because the internet loves them so much.

But yeah, they've always felt like just "OK" games to me. It's fun to walk around random areas and fight weird monsters for a while, but like, that doesn't make a "best videogame ever" experience for me. The "deep lore" and so called story is something I always think sucks in these games as well because I don't have time to investigate every nook and cranny and object in the game for 60 hours straight to find 3 lines of text worth of obscure story.

I think Dark Souls games are OK. They've never seemed great to me.

With this said, I can't think of many dungeon crawlers/fantasy adventure games that are better than Dark Souls either. The genre is just pretty starved in general

:same:

Played all the Dark + Demon's Souls and had fun but my favorite bits were just exploring the cool environments. Had to bounce off Bloodborne and Sekiro cause I didn't like the focus on combat and the overall formula has really worn thin for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My bad video game opinion? I played ESO for about 10 minutes before I realized that it was basically a furry simulator.