Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh thank god I really thought I'd imagined it and then got annoyed that it hadn't been a lip synch song. I have been on an 80s music kick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucania
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaddyMorphosis/status/1499582896335638545

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Not a spoiler. I just realized who Boscoe reminds me of while in drag.

Madame Medusa from Disney's The Rescuers

Edit: Tonight's episode Not surprised by that outcome of both Jorgeous and Jasmine being safe given that next week is Snatch Game and they've never done less than 8 queens for Snatch Game except for all-stars. I was surprised Boscoe won, I thought the edit was for sure the edit was setting Deja up for a win.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 5, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

S14: I agree with the double-save, they killed it. It feels weird to have already have had a "no elim" week but that was due to injury instead of pre-planned.

How many episodes anyway? Time for some Drag Math:

14 Queens - 4 Finalists = 10 episodes + 2 intro eps + Double Save + Golden Ticket + Reunion + Finale = 16 eps (17 hours of TV)?

Thankfully I enjoy these queens so it's all good.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I was expecting them to fudge the chocolate results here (:v:) to make it a double shantay, but I guess they already had a double shantay planned anyway? Either way that was 100% a double shantay lipsync so I'm not really complaining.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Deja definitely deserved the win more, but they ain't giving the win to a queen cast as filler.

Wasn't shocked by the double shantay due to the magic number 8 for Snatch Game, but it was well deserved. I got a bit nervous when an older song started for the youngest two queens, but they slayed.

I do kinda wish we could've seen Maddy in this challenge, rofl.

Camgie are so cute in Untucked :3:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Before the episode even started I was like: “We’re at 8 queens which is normally snatch game, but I know it’s not Snatch game tonight. Oh, we’re going to get the gold bar save so Snatch Game next week will still have 8!”
I thought the whole chocolate bar rigamarole was so we didn’t have to do a double shantay, but like everyone else I won’t complain about it when the lipsync holds up like tonight’s did.

Also, the challenges this season have been really good. I don’t know if it’s that the queens have been strong, the writing team has been improved, or if it’s just things like giving the queens real sets for the acting challenge and costumes for the girl group elevating the experience. Kudos to production.

garthoneeye fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 5, 2022

lookmanicant
Apr 18, 2006

Hi, I'm John Sheppard. Isn't my hair awesome? I like ferris wheels.
Agreed that s14 has had a lot of strong sets and pieces that showcase the queens and makes it easier for the challenges to happen.
Lady Camden said it in Untucked that it's all down to nit-picky things because of how strong everyone is. When there are so many queens going through DR, it's inevitable that they're going to pick a lot of very strong competitors. I love to see it, it makes even boring seasons at least fun to watch. Also, I enjoyed Nicole Byer as a host, but I really enjoy seeing her in anything in general. Also Angeria's parents are so cute and supportive and excited for her! Ahh that was so sweet.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Man, imagine if Maddy had made it to this challenge :allears:

https://twitter.com/MaddyMorphosis/status/1499939545403559936

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

loving how present and loose Ru seems to be this season. She seems to be having fun and to like this crop of queens and it’s making this season good tv instead of a slog like some recent ones have been

gandlethorpe posted:

finally, a category suiting Maddy’s runway stomp

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

Meh.

So I had thought that Snatch Game was always at 8, but I looked a couple weeks ago, and there have even been recent seasons with 10 queens, one season even with 11 queens in Snatch Game. I think it works better with 8, we can feature everybody more.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was thinking, why does that wig look familiar and...

https://twitter.com/JeyM99/status/1497428976314290180

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
https://twitter.com/nicolebyer/status/1497464555756163072?s=20&t=8BoSg9n2oVK1VTLhLRtOTQ

She just really loved that wig!

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

s14:

I do think they played off each other lovely, and I have to give Jasmine credit for her splits-on-the-beat. Apart from that though, I didn't find the lipsync outstanding, and certainly not double-shantay worthy on its own merit. I'm sorry, but I think these are both filler queens compared to the rest of the field.

It's become a joke, a place for producers to play their hand too heavily. Alyssa and Tati? Yes, 100%. Alyssa and Roxxxy? Yes. Brooke Lynn and Yvie? Yes. However, the show now absolutely double shantays more than it should utilize the double sashay. Producers, bring it back!

If RuPaul asked me to lipsync to that song, I'd fluff up a stacked platinum busdriver and put on a granny sweater and some severe cat's eye wings and just try to emote like church choir. I love old clips of Etta James and I think RuPaul would see it and reward it.

https://youtu.be/OueyaMoUUt4

love the wig chronology for Nicole, when can she and leslie jones replace Carson and Ross on the panel? (I don't even dislike them, it's just that.. they're better)

Carlton Banks Teller fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 6, 2022

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

https://twitter.com/Chucho_Q/status/1497726536249757696

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Still not sure if the judges calling someone's outfit "Club Kid" counts as a compliment or an insult. They seem to flip-flop a bit.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

s14:

double shantay talk

I don't think we need spoiler tags anymore, but I'll use them here.

They've already planned for at least one double shantay whenever a favorite loses a lip sync and they need to pull out the golden chocolate bar. I'm guessing that sometime in the next few episodes Angeria lands in the bottom and performs poorly in the lip sync, so they pull it out then to save her. But they weren't planning on Kornbread going home due to an injury, so they needed to do at least one double shantay to keep with the episode order for the season, plus next week is Snatch Game and they've never done that with anything less than 8 queens on a regular season.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Zombie Squared posted:

Still not sure if the judges calling someone's outfit "Club Kid" counts as a compliment or an insult. They seem to flip-flop a bit.

I think it comes down to how well executed the look was versus how well it fits the challenge. Club Kid by itself is a neutral descriptor of the style.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't believe Bosco is going to coast to top 4 by leaning on 2000s internet jokes because the judges are all too old to realize how overdone they are. Electric Boogaloo got a laugh out of the judges, really?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Eej posted:

I can't believe Bosco is going to coast to top 4 by leaning on 2000s internet jokes because the judges are all too old to realize how overdone they are. Electric Boogaloo got a laugh out of the judges, really?

To be fair, Ru remembers Electric Boogaloo as the sequel to Breakin’ from the 80s. 80s references are exactly up Ru’s alley. Ru probably doesn’t know it was a staple of internet comedy for a while.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
What a great lipsync. I'd love more songs like that rather than just "Oops! All pop".

Also my little redneck heart fills with joy every time someone wears camo on the runway. :colbert:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Read After Burning posted:

Also my little redneck heart fills with joy every time someone wears camo on the runway. :colbert:

What's Kameron Michaels up to these days?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

dpkg chopra posted:

What's Kameron Michaels up to these days?

I believe she’s still part of RuPaul’s Drag Race: Live! in Las Vegas.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Twitter shows that she got together Pangina in Chicago I think this past weekend.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

UK:

It's great to see a lip sync bracket where there aren't 5000 reveals.

Not mad about the winner. I don't know if she won both lip syncs but I'm not mad.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That was an OK season but all of the heavy-hitters seemed to vanish in the front half. Having listened to the "prize" - eesh, keep it.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
MO ROBBED

:negative:

Also apparently Spotify spoiled the winner by uploading the winner+Rupaul duet too early, lmao

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I like Jimbo. I think they are fun and unique (although the bimbo act is a fine line to walk as a man without being misogynist).

But I am getting really tired of the whole "I'm a bitter, sore loser, but it's okay because I'm WEIRD" thing. They did it on RPDR Canada and they're doing it now. I get playing a character, and I get drag is often designed to make you uncomfortable. But I'm beginning to wonder how much of the bitterness is anger and how much is just...Jimbo.

The finale runways were lovely. :allears: Lemon!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
UK v World thoughts

Blu is a really terrible dancer. I like her, so congratulations on the crown, but she was nowhere near the top of the list of queens I thought should win.

Mo, this was her best season yet. She truly entered the upper echelon of drag race alumni, although I wasn't crazy about her finale looks.

Juju sadly never was fully present this season, even last week when she won, she still wasn't bringing what she brought in her original season or in her second all stars. Everybody should go back and rewatch her "Black Velvet" lip sync. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH2rBKzl8Vs

Baga, I like Baga, but she was unfairly dragged to the finale both of her seasons. She's very funny, but not really good at what is required of a Drag Race queen. A couple of my friends used to live in London and they always say that she was absolutely their favorite drag queen to see live, but that they didn't really care for her on the show.

Now spoiler for next season of All Stars

I'm really optimistic about the new format for next season. Instead of the winning queens sending a bottom queen each week, instead nobody goes home, but instead queens work to earn points each week, and that winning queens earn certain advantages, like perhaps blocking a rival queen from earning points that week. The current all stars rules haven't really worked since All Stars 2, and even then just barely. Performing against a lip sync assassin was a great idea, but I've just never been a fan of queens sending each other home. This season would have really benefit from the new format. We might have actually had a finale with Pangina and Jimbo.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

you take pangina out, you better win

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

That was certainly an adequate season of Drag Race made of queens that is on the BBC

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Nihonniboku posted:

Now spoiler for next season of All Stars

I'm really optimistic about the new format for next season. Instead of the winning queens sending a bottom queen each week, instead nobody goes home, but instead queens work to earn points each week, and that winning queens earn certain advantages, like perhaps blocking a rival queen from earning points that week. The current all stars rules haven't really worked since All Stars 2, and even then just barely. Performing against a lip sync assassin was a great idea, but I've just never been a fan of queens sending each other home. This season would have really benefit from the new format. We might have actually had a finale with Pangina and Jimbo.

If these are the rules then I hope they really, really stack the next season. Like AS2 had probably the best cast of any All Stars season, I want to see that kind of cast. I'm not going to bother listing queens but like, top 4s from every season, that type of heavy hitters.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

whatever faults the inaugural season of ukvtw had, wrapping in six episodes is a gold rupeter in its favour. s14 is 10 episodes in and there are still 8 queens in play, plus a chocolate bar save and a reunion episode

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mo's third look in the ball (the gown and reddish wig) lives in my head rent-free. Just drop-dead gorgeous.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

big dyke energy posted:

If these are the rules then I hope they really, really stack the next season. Like AS2 had probably the best cast of any All Stars season, I want to see that kind of cast. I'm not going to bother listing queens but like, top 4s from every season, that type of heavy hitters.

Spoilers regarding next season of All Stars

It's an all winners season.

The cast

Jaida Essence Hall. Jinxx Monsoon. Monet X Change. Raja. Shea Coulee. The Vivienne. Trinity the Tuck. Yvie Oddly.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Nihonniboku posted:

The cast

Jaida Essence Hall. Jinxx Monsoon. Monet X Change. Raja. Shea Coulee. The Vivienne. Trinity the Tuck. Yvie Oddly.

What an unusual spread. Lots of lukewarm winners with a couple exciting standouts.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

What an unusual spread. Lots of lukewarm winners with a couple exciting standouts.

Agreed. I've been wanting this format for a while, but this cast is all pretty laid back and mild mannered. I don't anticipate a lot of drama.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

UK vs. The World was a fever dream. I was so excited for it and then it just was… bizarre. Oh well, it gives me more reason to watch Thai Drag Race finally.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Nihonniboku posted:

Agreed. I've been wanting this format for a while, but this cast is all pretty laid back and mild mannered. I don't anticipate a lot of drama.
Trinity and Monet specifically I'm like.... eugh. Neither of you really feel like you won to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Poulpe posted:

yeah, this is a strange set. guess you never know how it'll work out. I am not at all a fan of including all-stars winners in this. it's the first season where they're doing this, give it to queens who have only been on once! it feels quite unfair.