Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Didn't Russia just wall off its entire internet from the rest of the world? Might explain why it isn't being constantly amplified 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I did a twitter search on NFT after posting that and it's pretty hilarious. Every post is an engagement farm for another scam, and they're barely hitting numbers in the hundreds.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

Didn't Russia just wall off its entire internet from the rest of the world? Might explain why it isn't being constantly amplified 24/7.

This is where my head went to as well, though it seems too easy to blame all of America's Internet-based problems on Russia.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Wow that Executive Order actually directs agencies to consider a US central bank digital currency. That could get interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fartknocker posted:

Wasn’t there that awful video with the Broadway people singing We’re Not Gonna Take It about some crypto stupidity and only from like a week ago? Also a bunch of terrible Super Bowl ads from not that long ago.

Granted, following a shooting war and sports stuff might have my sense of time all messed up.

It was Mark Zuckerberg's sister

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot to bitch about Dads loving With poo poo this morning.

I dropped some motorcycle wheels off with my dad to have the tires removed by one of his buddies, and then he met me with them this morning to drop them off at a powder coating place to get them finished. Except for some reason be removed a backing plate that I left on one wheel I wanted finished also and “forgot it at home.” So now I have to either go get that and wake up early to take it back to the same place before work, leave it unmatched, or get as close as I can with a rattle can.

Why do dads always gently caress With poo poo :argh:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1501453984216846338?t=2wx5HIenxdje6Wnpch6kWw&s=19

The high schooler in me who had to read the book on that is fist pumping after seeing this

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1501453984216846338?t=2wx5HIenxdje6Wnpch6kWw&s=19

The high schooler in me who had to read the book on that is fist pumping after seeing this

lol, my SO follows the photographer who is on that expedition and she woke me up this morning to tell me that they’d found it. I haven’t read the book yet but it’s sitting on our shelf, maybe I’ll crack it open to mark the occasion.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Oh speaking of books, when I was a kid I was big into Michael Crichton’s work because Jurassic Park loving owned. But then towards the end of his life he went full mask-off, wake up sheeple Libertarian and it showed in those last few books and I kinda lost interest. Anyway, apparently when he died they found a manuscript for a book that was supposedly finished but hadn’t been sent to a publisher yet so they printed it to wring every last cent out of him give the fans a final goodbye or whatever. It was sitting on my shelf for years and I finally picked it up.

Boy howdy does this book suck.

It’s about pirates, and there’s an entire chapter devoted to getting the crew together that is just 20 pages worth of every cliché about pirates and sailing you can cram in, including the pirate that’s a badass but surprise! They’re actually a woman and no one knows their secret! Except literally a paragraph later he contradicts himself by saying that everyone knew and didn’t care? It’s just the most paint-by-numbers dreck.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

T-Square posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot to bitch about Dads loving With poo poo this morning.

I dropped some motorcycle wheels off with my dad to have the tires removed by one of his buddies, and then he met me with them this morning to drop them off at a powder coating place to get them finished. Except for some reason be removed a backing plate that I left on one wheel I wanted finished also and “forgot it at home.” So now I have to either go get that and wake up early to take it back to the same place before work, leave it unmatched, or get as close as I can with a rattle can.

Why do dads always gently caress With poo poo :argh:

Unnecessary tinkering is just guys being dudes

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I know but he hoards motorcycles and has like three storage units, a garage, and a basement full of half finished projects, tinker with your stuff not mine :mad:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thinking back to the last few days of Feb when we were unsure if Louis CK would take the stage in Kiev as Russian troops advanced

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Freaquency posted:

Oh speaking of books, when I was a kid I was big into Michael Crichton’s work because Jurassic Park loving owned. But then towards the end of his life he went full mask-off, wake up sheeple Libertarian and it showed in those last few books and I kinda lost interest. Anyway, apparently when he died they found a manuscript for a book that was supposedly finished but hadn’t been sent to a publisher yet so they printed it to wring every last cent out of him give the fans a final goodbye or whatever. It was sitting on my shelf for years and I finally picked it up.

It’s about pirates, and there’s an entire chapter devoted to getting the crew together that is just 20 pages worth of every cliché about pirates and sailing you can cram in, including the pirate that’s a badass but surprise! They’re actually a woman and no one knows their secret! Except literally a paragraph later he contradicts himself by saying that everyone knew and didn’t care? It’s just the most paint-by-numbers dreck.

Crichton was so pissed off at a guy who wrote a bad review of one of his books that he retaliated by making him a pedophile / child molester character in his next one.

Dude was nuts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Freaquency posted:

I think I started that one too, and was absolutely shocked at how bad it was.

Although actually after that I went back and read some of his other books and realized that they're kinda poo poo too. They were best as a 12 year old.

But that pirate book, holy poo poo that really took it to another level.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1501216568222666756

this is probably fine right

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lol, I had a buddy whose entire college senior project as a rhetoric and media studies major was tearing apart a Michael Crichton book as a pile of garbage, I think one on global warming being fake or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My lasting memory of Crichton is that he was convinced that mad cow disease was going to mutate and eradicate humanity, so he spent the last 80 pages of The Lost World having Malcolm and Levine babble incessantly about prions.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Play posted:

I think I started that one too, and was absolutely shocked at how bad it was.

Although actually after that I went back and read some of his other books and realized that they're kinda poo poo too. They were best as a 12 year old.

I really liked Tom Clancy in late elementary school and middle school but hooooooo boy was he a bad author in hindsight.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I also got really into Michael Crichton as a kid after reading The Andromeda Strain. I still think that despite his flaws, that is a hell of a book

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kalli posted:

Thought: haven't heard much about crypto / nft's lately
On Sunday I saw a car with the custom license plate GMESTONK. I wonder how that worked out.

It was a midsize Volvo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Weird that we're having Crichton chat since I just thought of him the other day.

Was thinking with his weird rear end beliefs he really could have gone either way on the climate debate, but whichever way he was going he was going all in. Like every damned thing he wrote about is unintended consequences caused by governments or corporations or individuals, but also with a strong slant towards never trusting science (while writing his own pseudo science all over the place). Not trusting science won out I guess.

Either way guy could spin a yarn I guess, but we paid way too much attention (ie: any) to his actual opinions on things.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Lol, I had a buddy whose entire college senior project as a rhetoric and media studies major was tearing apart a Michael Crichton book as a pile of garbage, I think one on global warming being fake or something?

State of Fear. That was the one that got me going :chloe: on his whole deal, though looking back at some of the ones he wrote right before that it’s more obvious in hindsight.

Pron on VHS posted:

I also got really into Michael Crichton as a kid after reading The Andromeda Strain. I still think that despite his flaws, that is a hell of a book

Andromeda Strain owns and was the sort of thing he was best at. For every one of those, though, he had something like Timeline or Disclosure which was just y i k e s

e: also in this book there’s not a single female character so far that he hasn’t needlessly sexualized, including a 14 year old girl who is immediately coerced into sex by the governor of the island and is actually totally cool with it and not traumatized at all. Even the badass lady pirate flashes her tits during pirate raids to, uh, distract the other side, or… something.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 9, 2022

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Samadhi posted:

I really liked Tom Clancy in late elementary school and middle school but hooooooo boy was he a bad author in hindsight.

Ya same but the original Rainbow Six games rocked

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I sorta assumed the last decade or so was because of something like that happening and it was just so far away from people no one noticed it escaped.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Putin has failed to kill Zelenskyy with human soldiers so now he's sending demons and spirits

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
The twist/solve in Andromeda Strain that the pathogen only affects people outside of a given pH range was so cool to me, there were like 2 years where I wanted to be a scientist after that, and then I discovered weed

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Weed is the greatest science of all

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

The twist/solve in Andromeda Strain that the pathogen only affects people outside of a given pH range was so cool to me, there were like 2 years where I wanted to be a scientist after that, and then I discovered weed

Then the incredibly dumb part at the end when it magically evolves to eat plastic or some poo poo

that's just not how anything works

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Play posted:

Then the incredibly dumb part at the end when it magically evolves to eat plastic or some poo poo

that's just not how anything works
Oh we're talking dumb endings to Creighton novels?

Prey was a good book and then right at the end "Get in the chopper! We nuked the site with thermite just to be sure" with an extra denouement of "Life, even artificial, finds a way."

:cripes:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I, too, read Andromeda Strain as a teenager and thought it was pretty cool, but then I tried to read another Chrichton and couldn't get through it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Hunt for Red October movie was ten times as good as the novel. Maybe ten thousand.

Clancy is such a lovely writer and is only catnip for budding ultranationalist dweebs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

I sorta assumed the last decade or so was because of something like that happening and it was just so far away from people no one noticed it escaped.

Archaeologists unearthed ancient Greek curse tablets in late January 2020. So maybe it's been a series of things and the Winchesters have been trying to stop it

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Crichton was a hack’s hack. He was Malcolm Gladwell as novelist. Find a hot button issue, talk to some experts, crank out a thriller. His characters were thinly written automatons.

That said, the guy had a career in film/TV works anyone would kill for.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I enjoyed a lot of Tom Clancy, Crichton, Grisham and Steven King as a kid. You could call me the airport fictions guy, a typical dullard

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let he who hasn't ready dozens upon dozens of King Novels cast the first stone.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hey ive read the majority of the Jack Reacher books, please ignore my glass house and do NOT throw stones at it its fragile

I am loling a little bit at the three or four different spelling variations of the name Crichton (yes I looked it up to make sure, heh)

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Pron on VHS posted:

Andromeda Strain and Sphere are both great books, despite both having similar and then everything was suddenly fine endings.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Jack Reacher books are GREAT I been talking about them in this thread for a while.

Sphere was fantastic, scared me as a teen

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of books I'm really struggling to get through the last book of the expanse series. The laconia arc is quite... ehhhhhhhhh.

Also thank you for the birthday wishes and kind words about the job. Hopefully things get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wasn’t just a Clancy reader, I was hooked on an incredibly bad doppelgänger of his: Ian Slater and his WWIII series.

Picture an extremely serialized set of books that amplified all of Clancy’s worst traits.