Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the thing about victorious and icarly and i assume sam & cat is they all have this really weird mean-spirited humor where all of the jokes are about how punching bag characters deserve to be punched, but not in a funny way like Always Sunny, especially because they crank the Zany Wacky dial up to 15 on these shows, so people are being cruel while also, like, throwing raw meat at each other, or being run over by puppets in trucks

so the recaps are kind of interesting to examine what was considered successful comedy for kids in the early 2010s, right before every kid switched over to watching Minecraft streamers. each episode is like "main character has to audition for a part in a local tv show, but then a parody of flashdance happens. meanwhile, side character is addicted to grapes and wears a suit made of grapes to school. also side character b uncovers a secret jelly conspiracy. side character a interrupts main character's audition when they find out they're allergic to grapes, and they pass out on the floor pulsating and bulbous. main character pops a pustule on side character a and a pus tidal wave knocks the casting director and producers out of the room. that's when side character b comes in and reveals that the pus is the secret ingredient in the jelly. someone threatens to molest the main character, the audience laughs. roll credits"

maybe if you grew up watching it you'd be indifferent to it but as someone who was already in their 20s at that point and would have no interest watching these shows, it's weird how each episode recap keeps surprising me at how desperate the writers of these shows are to get a laugh and keep kids from watching online content instead. and also how chill the writers seem to be about putting innuendo about sexual assault, creepy behavior from adults, child endangerment, murder, etc. in their scripts. this isn't even covering the many contrived ways to get feet on camera. if a cartoon from that era had some of this bullshit there's no way it would have passed S&P (not that i'd want the poo poo I'm referring to in an all-ages cartoon)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Grondoth posted:

Why are we still doing the thing where we accuse everyone else of being so mad, just unreasonably mad about whatever we disagree on? Whether it's that Rowling tends to set things up that don't pay off or that Quinton keeps making videos that are super long but don't say anything, why is the go to action to say that everyone is angry?

It's stupid. Stop being stupid. poo poo's too intense right now for us to be stupid. Let people talk about things that don't matter without deciding that everyone's just super angry in some thought terminating take.
The internet is poisoned by Rationality bros and they've convinced themselves that remaining calm means they win.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

fun hater posted:

there is no value of creating anything intended to convey information that is 8 hours. there is no thesis statementbpromising that this is leading to all of this culminating in a point. outside of a cynical desire to game a computer by making videos exclusively for the youtube algorithm, these videos serve no one but their creator. personally, i would just make shorter good things for ppl to enjoy instead. maybe im different
This is a very mean, but fair, way to talk about the Great Courses series.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Why are we still doing the thing where we accuse everyone else of being so mad, just unreasonably mad about whatever we disagree on? Whether it's that Rowling tends to set things up that don't pay off or that Quinton keeps making videos that are super long but don't say anything, why is the go to action to say that everyone is angry?

It's stupid. Stop being stupid. poo poo's too intense right now for us to be stupid. Let people talk about things that don't matter without deciding that everyone's just super angry in some thought terminating take.

I always just assume that unless someone has made a post that is extremely obviously angry, that those accusations are just plain ol projection. It can be tough to convey tone in a text-based medium after all, to say nothing of how it's not like anger is an inherently bad thing.

And yes I am being caremad right now!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

fun hater posted:

there is no value of creating anything intended to convey information that is 8 hours.

... No? There's plenty of good long-form documentary series out there. Ken Burns owes his entire career to 8+ hour sagas!

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Acebuckeye13 posted:

... No? There's plenty of good long-form documentary series out there. Ken Burns owes his entire career to 8+ hour sagas!

Apples and oranges

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nothing requires an 8 hour video. You could cover all of history in a cool 71 minutes, 87 if your normal speed of talking is slow.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

fun hater posted:

there is no value of creating anything intended to convey information that is 8 hours. there is no thesis statementbpromising that this is leading to all of this culminating in a point. outside of a cynical desire to game a computer by making videos exclusively for the youtube algorithm, these videos serve no one but their creator. personally, i would just make shorter good things for ppl to enjoy instead. maybe im different

Person who bitches about critique in the critic thread...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ghostlight posted:

Let's spend forty minutes learning the entire history of one hit single from 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyYAiU4DKUY

It's incredible he straight up stole it. I assumed he'd sample some other song and incorporate it into a new thing.

The other guy stealing "Music Sounds Better Than You" is bizarre because that was a fairly popular song not something just played in clubs as a DJ set.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Farg posted:

Person who bitches about critique in the critic thread...

Saying that long-winded 8 hour critic videos are bad critic videos is perfectly valid for this thread. We poo poo on MauLer for the exact same reason earlier in this thread's life. :shrug:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

TheMightyBoops posted:

Can someone make and 8 hour video for one of those Yugioh series’ that all have 150 episodes each and are still running constantly. I’d do it, but I’d die. Also I don’t want to actually watch them.

that’d be cool, there’s really a shitload of stuff you could talk about with Yugioh. like how the manga transitioned from a “game of the week” show to being about duel monsters, how much stuff the anime changed when adapting the story, how the English dub shaped people’s perception of the series, etc.

there’re a lot of oddities that come out of the fact that the anime dove right into duelist kingdom from the start. like bakura not actually being introduced to the audience at all, he just randomly walks out of the woods mid-story arc and everyone’s like “hey, it’s Bakura!”

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Archer666 posted:

Saying that long-winded 8 hour critic videos are bad critic videos is perfectly valid for this thread. We poo poo on MauLer for the exact same reason earlier in this thread's life. :shrug:

well yeah I agree. I haven't seen the videos or know who these people are if was just silly to get mad about critiquing critique and then critique critiquing, "quid pro quo"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Kamrat posted:

Apples and oranges

I mean, the statement was "there is no value of creating anything intended to convey information that is 8 hours." This is inherently a pretty ridiculous claim! I can think of countless documentaries, podcasts, hell, even audiobooks that all run well past that timestamp.

personally I don't care about this dude or his video and as such choose to ignore it, but the existance of one supposedly vacuous 8 hour video does not obliviate the value of everything else of a similar or greater length.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, the statement was "there is no value of creating anything intended to convey information that is 8 hours." This is inherently a pretty ridiculous claim! I can think of countless documentaries, podcasts, hell, even audiobooks that all run well past that timestamp.

personally I don't care about this dude or his video and as such choose to ignore it, but the existance of one supposedly vacuous 8 hour video does not obliviate the value of everything else of a similar or greater length.

i think 8 straight hours of information with no breaks is in fact a bad format no matter what names are behind it

e: like the ken burns thing is broken up into episodes right. how is that the same at all

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The American Civil War, Baseball, Jazz, World War 2, Prohibition, the Vietnam War, Country Music, Victorious.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Shoah and the second part of Victorious reviews are the same, to me

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

fun hater posted:

i think 8 straight hours of information with no breaks is in fact a bad format no matter what names are behind it

e: like the ken burns thing is broken up into episodes right. how is that the same at all

Audiobooks are that exact format, and people tend to like them. There's nothing inherently wrong with extremely long pieces of content, it just comes down to personal tastes and how they're consumed. (Personally I'd never sit down and watch a single video essay of any length by itself, but I'll happily listen to things while doing laundry or cleaning).

e:

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The American Civil War, Baseball, Jazz, World War 2, Prohibition, the Vietnam War, Country Music, Victorious.

Soup du Jour posted:

Shoah and the second part of Victorious reviews are the same, to me

I know y'all are trying to dogpile to get the jokes in but I already clearly said my statement isn't about the video itself, which I do not care about and will never watch, and instead the statement that any informational work of its length is inherently valueless.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 9, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Audiobooks are that exact format, and people tend to like them. There's nothing inherently wrong with extremely long pieces of content, it just comes down to personal tastes and how they're consumed. (Personally I'd never sit down and watch a single video essay of any length by itself, but I'll happily listen to things while doing laundry or cleaning).

man im not going to argue with you on this its your life to waste. if you want to spend it watching or defending 8 hour wikipedia recaps of children's shows made by a sexual pervert 20 years ago because of some egalitarian sense to be fair to more substantive things that are long and broken up into chapters then have at it

fun hater
May 24, 2009

ahem um TECHNICALLY actually according to the dictionary of ahem

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Why is it so hard to accept that "8 hours of mostly recaps of a children's TV show that ended decades ago is too much, but 8 hours probably isn't even enough time to fully explain everything related to the American Civil War" isn't just a reasonable take, it's the most reasonable take that no one can in good faith actually have a hard time with

Why do we wanna fight each other so badly

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

the thing about [...] and icarly

this is a lie

I've watched enough icarly to know that there are no jokes in it

none at all

Fake edit:

Also, I'd watch a lot more of Quinton's Quest if he did the same thing as Alison, that is, breaking up his videos into nice little 10-20 min. clips, each for a single episode.

It's really funny in hindsight that the total of all Baywatch Nights episodes Alison has put out is probably a lot longer then mere 8 hours, but because it isn't bundled up into one, giant deluge of s single solitary video, it's a lot more fun to watch

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

RareAcumen posted:

Nothing requires an 8 hour video. You could cover all of history in a cool 71 minutes, 87 if your normal speed of talking is slow.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania, Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson, Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician sex, J.F.K. blown away, What else do I have to say?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Do people not use the chapters in these long videos? They’re usually annotated into chunks in the description. You don’t watch it for 8 hours; you can I guess, don’t though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Following up on my earlier post, it's evident that Quinton's daemonic pact makes him a witch and we should Press him to death under a stack of Harry Potter books until he confesses to being a bride of Satan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fun hater posted:

man im not going to argue with you on this its your life to waste. if you want to spend it watching or defending 8 hour wikipedia recaps of children's shows made by a sexual pervert 20 years ago because of some egalitarian sense to be fair to more substantive things that are long and broken up into chapters then have at it
well this seems like a poor reading of the post!!

i agree with others that most people here aren't angry, it's just havin jokes times, but you in particular always seem very aggro :/

e: not meaning to pick a fight, btw, you seem cool most of the time, maybe I’m misreading tone??

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 9, 2022

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I think the video is kinda funny sometimes, myself.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheMightyBoops posted:

Do people not use the chapters in these long videos? They’re usually annotated into chunks in the description. You don’t watch it for 8 hours; you can I guess, don’t though.

chapters are useful in long music collections if you want to jump around to your favorites, not so much in long review-type videos, as I don't really want to babysit a video I'm only half-listening and -watching anyways

besides, if every chapter was a single video, it would be far easier to digest each one

now, if you could tell YouTube to stop after each chapter so a droning YouTuber's voice won't cause you to miss 4 out of 8 hours of content due to you falling asleep midway through, then we're talking

currently though, those mega-videos are just a gigantic waste of everyone's' time

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Flipping to a sincere post for a moment, I'm not going to pretend I won't play Quinton's video in the background while I die a lot in Elden Ring, since I've ended up listening to the others, but I don't recollect much about them.

He had a bit where he started screaming at the top of his lungs in the iCarly one because one of the characters had bad camera-handling techniques as a joke. I only remember it because it made me jump and was grating sit through for a minute. Then there was the time they used the really-bad-Japanese-language-slur in the Japanese travel episode he discussed. In Victorious, I remember him talking about how the puppet is racist, but that was kind of evident from other videos (CJ's.) The rest is a blur of "Adult men are writing hosed up things for their amusement/to get their rocks off" and "The show is embarrassed that Ariana Grande is the best singer on it."

I'm not mad about the Quinton videos being long but I do think they don't do much besides recapping. If he split them up into 30 minute or 1 hour segments, it wouldn't change much. Like Allison Pregler's Baywatching and Charmed videos are recaps, but also humorously riff on the dumb bits, reference interesting trivia or behind-the-scenes details, and will stop and straight up call foul at in-story or background bullshit derailing the shows. I guess there's just something about the pacing of the Nick Sitcom vids that makes it all collapse into homogeneous goo in my brain?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I really like Pushing Up Roses' Murder She Wrote episode recaps. Just taking one episode and going "hey this is the weird poo poo that happens" probably adds up to more runtime over the course of an entire show, but also doesn't feel like a massive commitment of time. If I see a notification pop up I know that the 15 or 20 minutes I spend learning about whatever batshit plot Jessica Fletcher got wrapped up in this time is going to be a good use of my chillout time before bed or whatever.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Hearing someone talk about something I don’t care about makes me pass out instantly, but a 2 hour video is better for that. At 8 hours it gets to the point where you wake up and they’re still talking about the same thing and that feels weird.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I did watch that Harry Potter video today and it's astonishing at how quickly Rowling blasts past anything questionable about her storytelling with such confidence and/or audacity. I haven't read the books since I was a kid and while even as a kid I raised an eyebrow to the house elves and why Hermione was treated like the butt of the joke when she wanted to free them, I completely forgot how brazen she was in handwaving literal loving slavery as being totally ok, they want to be slaves guys!!.

The political stuff was completely lost on me as a kid though and I feel like the books would be a headache and a half to revisit as an adult.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah it's the classic franchise black sheep entry where if you're rabidly obsessed with Deus Ex 1 and bought IW on launch for full price it is a TREASONOUS INSULT TO ALL GAMERKIND :argh: but with some distance it's a pretty good game, actually.

See also: Thief 3, The Bureau, Dark Souls 2,

Thief 4, XCOM Enforcer :unsmigghh:

I'd contend otherwise. The loading screen issue is truly awful, the attempt to make choices throughout the game ended up making things worse than the original since it didn't change your ending and you'd just get Samir being like "hey I know you've killed about eight million templar so far, but" and the universal ammo was very poorly balanced.

It's like, 5/10.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So is Brian's life dream to become a parody musician? He's done a lot of music stuff since he left polygon, you know, including an entire Abba parody album

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo, now I remember what I wanted to ask!

Towards the end of Hbomb's Deus Ex video he pivots to talking about Gex, but I don't recognize the silhouette that was fading in before that. What was the obvious answer he was leading towards at first?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo, now I remember what I wanted to ask!

Towards the end of Hbomb's Deus Ex video he pivots to talking about Gex, but I don't recognize the silhouette that was fading in before that. What was the obvious answer he was leading towards at first?

The dude from Legacy of Kain.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angryhead posted:

The dude from Legacy of Kain.

Oh yeah. Was that the one that got a mobile game sequel for 5 or something?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Garrand posted:

So is Brian's life dream to become a parody musician? He's done a lot of music stuff since he left polygon, you know, including an entire Abba parody album

I generally like his music but it would be nice if he did more just comedy bits again.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RareAcumen posted:

Oh yeah. Was that the one that got a mobile game sequel for 5 or something?

iirc the final entry was a cancelled 'free to play multiplayer action' game.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i dont think i know a single thing about legacy of kain. a total cultural black hole on my end. whats the deal with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Filming on an actual Gameboy Camera? That's a new one for Jeremy Parish.