Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

Someone made one for this thread too that says NotZ fyi lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OctaMurk posted:

After thorough investigation, we have found that actually all the conscripts signed up for contract service and therefore no conscripts are in Ukraine

No no. Somehow Ukrainian saboteurs corrupted our noble armed forces and tricked us with false paperwork into sending conscripts into combat.

Also it was fine because Ukraine is within our borders now anyway

Also the guy who ordered it had a Ukrainian mom. He and his mom have both been shot.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Willo567 posted:

I just worry that the stupid, moronic public who has no idea what a no-fly zone actually entails pressures the U.S. or NATO as a whole to implement one, and when people are told what could happen (war with NATO and Russia), they claim we're already at war with Russia.

I'm as prone to catastrophizing as anyone but it helps to remind myself that bloodthirsty shitlibs and reactionaries on Twitter are thankfully not running the show. If one good thing came out of the cold war it seems to be a deep and abiding institutional memory within both NATO and the Pentagon as to what a war with Russia would actually entail.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's almost like this military is entirely on paper and in complete collapse, because whoopsie the people in charge of the money took it to build Yachts in Cyprus, oh well

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

It's almost like this military is entirely on paper and in complete collapse, because whoopsie the people in charge of the money took it to build Yachts in Cyprus, oh well

Looking forward to finding out who paid the least bribes and therefore gets to take the fall for this

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheRat posted:

Quite the invitation.

I don't know what you mean and no I wasn't phone posting while cooking

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyone else getting this ad on somethingawful?

Seems extraordinarily lovely.

Can't get too worked up over a thread devoted to displays of bad taste waving a zwastika just to get under everyone's skin. Now, if we start seeing pickups rolling coal with double-barreled zwastikas, I might get exercised.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

PerilPastry posted:

Glad to be corrected. The vibe I'm getting is a number of countries have now soured on the idea of providing "offensive weapons" which by some arbitrary standard seems to include aircraft but not stuff like Javelins.

Are the Ukrainians trained for the Polish SAMs? Supposedly Patriot batteries require hundreds and hundreds of hours of training so I imagine they're off the table.

That's working under the assumption Poland has Patriot batteries which we do not at the moment. There was zero effort to get any kind of decent SAM systems for ages, so all we have online is SA-6 and SA-8, that went through some upgrades. Basically stuff Ukraine also uses for their short range, only likely they have more, and also other types. There are more Grom and Piorun launchers, but those are even shorter range.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

After thorough investigation, we have found that actually all the conscripts signed up for contract service and therefore no conscripts are in Ukraine

More likely they find one colonel or entry-level general who was on the Putin's poo poo list to begin with, and blame it all on him.

To appease the army the court case goes on forever and it just disappears from the public, and some months later Colonel Snrub takes over some garrison in the Kamchatka.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

the popes toes posted:

Speaking of, I was stopped dead in my tracks by the eerie renaissance quality framed by the window in this sad photo of a train evacuee. Sorry I don't have an attribution.

It's because your not used to seeing those paintings without the 400 years of lovely maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFhKZv-fgXs

TulliusCicero posted:

Probably just a propaganda puff/convenient purge excuse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OctaMurk posted:

it turns out that some mid-level whose superior hates him for kicking up insufficient bribes forgot to get one of them signed and will take the fall

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interesting. I'm on mobile and can't jump the paywall but this seems like a dramatic reversal
https://twitter.com/BloombergNRG/status/1501625625764929545?t=fhmVjY_e12M5uw7vKrFAuw&s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

We are not buying oil from maduro we are buying it from venezeula which of course possesses Guaido as it’s legitimate leader. What organization or members of government the money ends up with is an internal matter

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KitConstantine posted:

Interesting. I'm on mobile and can't jump the paywall but this seems like a dramatic reversal
https://twitter.com/BloombergNRG/status/1501625625764929545?t=fhmVjY_e12M5uw7vKrFAuw&s=19

someone got through to the UAE that the security guarantee the United States has provided for decades has a cost, and that cost is pretty minor; you want to keep your kleptocratic throne secure, you keep the oil policy in the interests of the united states

not sure why it's proving so difficult to explain that to MBS. yes, he's all pissy the biden admin doesn't like him and is calling him to account in a very minor way for murdering a western journalist. but, uh, you don't keep the oil on in a geopolitical crisis and suddenly there's no realpolitik reason to keep protecting someone everyone in the world hates in order to keep that oil flowing. and that could go poorly for MBS.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

KitConstantine posted:

Can't let crude prices spike to the point where they cause a recession. Also probably revelling in the moment to put the squeeze on the US a bit to remind them exactly what the relationship dynamics are.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

2000s were really hard for Russian aviation, and everything folded basically (look up history of United Avioconstruction Corporation, and history of Aeroflot plane park retirements). Tupolev specifically maybe is a thing in North Korea, outside of Russian government use.

Currently flown Russian airplanes are basically Irkut MC-21 (Yakovlev, all-Russian design) and Sukhoi Superjet 100 (western engine). Maybe Ilyushin has something, probably not.

The Superjets are the only recently designed and produced Russian commercial aircraft at the moment, the MC-21 is limited to the four or five prototypes.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alchenar posted:

Can't let crude prices spike to the point where they cause a recession. Also probably revelling in the moment to put the squeeze on the US a bit to remind them exactly what the relationship dynamics are.

they had been putting the squeeze on the US by refusing to take the biden administration's calls. they have, suddenly, perhaps come to their senses.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I wonder if this is the result of inflation that they are already seeing, or the fear of the inflation they know is coming? The loss of Western journalism in Russia makes gauging domestic politics a lot harder, I suppose.

https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/1501617653735215111?cxt=HHwWjsC-9ZrT6NYpAAAA

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Isn't the OPEC statement "will recommend" and not "ok now there's more oil", e.g. members have to agree to do it which is not certain?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

KitConstantine posted:

One thing to remember is that many OPEC members have been pumping at less than their previously-agreed maximums (every year they’re allowed to increase their output by a percentage, but few do). So there’s certainly some easy flexibility there for them to increase production and try to avoid any price shocks that might stir countries to invest in Green New Deal-type infrastructure (the horror).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

To be clear - the fact that countries are willing to cut off the big gas station country (even if sourcing gas elsewhere) should be extremely concerning for OPEC.

Plus, you let oil prices get too high and you end up with the twin issues of pushing everyone to find suddenly-more-attractive alternatives to fossil fuels and bankrolling a resurgence of less efficient fossil fuel recovery techniques like fracking that open up gigantic reserves outside of OPEC states. OPEC had to crash the price hard and for a long time last time they let that happen.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

TulliusCicero posted:

My favorite glimpse into the Russian military was earlier in the thread, when someone posted this article about how Russian junior officers get treated.

quote:

TIMONOVO, Russia -- For Pavel Petrakov, a 23-year-old lieutenant in a military unit that monitors Russian aerospace defenses, the fact that the door to his officer-assigned dormitory room fell off its hinges was bad enough.

There were also the old bloodstains and feces on the wood floor. But the breaking point may have been the hordes of cockroaches in the communal kitchen.

“When I went to military school, I thought the army was cool, the officers were society’s elite,” said Petrakov, who was commissioned after graduating with honors from a prestigious St. Petersburg military academy.

“I never even imagined that you could drink like that and yell at children. They’re pigs at home, and they booze it up at work,” he told the North.Realities Desk of RFE/RL's Russian Service. “The most disgusting thing, because of which many flee from the army, is that they treat you like a beast.”
https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-military-officers-morale-problem/31612793.html

These are officers, in a prestigious unit near Moscow. I bet a lot of corruption went into this poo poo.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

People always flee from the winning country in a war, right?

There's not going to be a "winner" in any of this, just people running from one disaster to the next until there's no where left to run.

...well besides the military industrial complex. Look at them stocks go!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Sinteres posted:

This seems extremely bad for the rest of the world.

https://twitter.com/JimPethokoukis/status/1501555861398900745

I’m glad that the United States is a food exporter.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Just everyday life in a war zone

https://twitter.com/sapitonmix/status/1501597112072560642?cxt=HHwWhICzzcOn39YpAAAA

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

punk rebel ecks posted:

I’m glad that the United States is a food exporter.

It’s going to be really awful for the people who rely on those exports though.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Okay, so this thread is long but has a different perspective than most on how the invasion has progressed/will progress. It's thesis seems to be that the successes in the south are less notable than they appear given the superior supply situation the Russians have there. It also goes into some detail about the bad equipment and tactics the Russian army has been displaying.

It's absolutely dripping with jargon, which is understandable, so I would be interested in a Mil-Goon translating for us normies. If that's an option
https://twitter.com/delfoo/status/1501636421211369477?t=FsvHBUexJik93swGOdquUg&s=19

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Maybe Ukraine should give the Russians back the child's toys they left on the humanitarian corridors.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The Superjets are the only recently designed and produced Russian commercial aircraft at the moment, the MC-21 is limited to the four or five prototypes.

You’re right, for some reason I was thinking MC-21 is in service already. Then they’re really hosed, since Superjets use western engines.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

I think it's more likely that the Z banner ad was intended to mock the CSPAM thread. There have been tons of avatar/redtext purchases too.

Yeah the people posting in that thread didn't make that banner, it was made to mock them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You’re right, for some reason I was thinking MC-21 is in service already. Then they’re really hosed, since Superjets use western engines.

Bring those Tu-154s out of the boneyard!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've been using this site to keep track of developments:

https://liveuamap.com/

I like that it marks everything on the map

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Old people are hell bent on dying in a nuclear apocalypse it seems.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Der Kyhe posted:

If they have permanent residence, or student Visa to Finland. With a travel or visitor Visa, no.

So I'm just curious about this then -- Is Finland accepting refugees from Russia, or is the expectation that a bunch of people are overstaying their visa or using it as a jumping to elsewhere in Europe/the west?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

mustard_tiger posted:

Jesus will come back and save them, it's just everyone else that will stay on this hell orb.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah the people posting in that thread didn't make that banner, it was made to mock them.

I've been checking it from time to time because the err different standards of moderation means there's a different filter of raw media/content/social media being posted so it's useful in a filterless kind of way but goddamn there is some mindboggling shithead tankie-ism going on in there by some bad faith mthrfkrs. Some absolutely incredulous, smirking nothing-matters lol type posting that could only come from people who are in no way involved or connected to any of the suffering or displacement going on.

Like I said I find it a useful alternate prism to stay informed on what's going on/the takes, hot but some of the posting in there is just loving gross

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

i am a moron posted:

It’s going to be really awful for the people who rely on those exports though.

Their governments and the people at least know who to blame for this one.

Famine is a horrifying thing. Tsarist Russia did one to Finland in the 1800's, and Soviet Russia one to Ukraine in the 1900's, so of course Putin had to do one better in this century.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Looks like they're getting ready to for Convoy 2: Diesel Bugaloo
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1501644862487207942?t=uJBcl6Ai22Kcok7kuF41hA&s=19

Edit: fixed tweet

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

mustard_tiger posted:

My favorite part is that the first Tweet has Sturgeon call Putin irrational, yet seems to think that Putin won't dramatically escalate if NATO shoots down Russian planes in Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Putin has threatened nuclear war and other assorted bluster many many times. At some point it may be necessary to call his bluff, as they suggest here. Or at least profess willingness to. If you make it clear you are not and will never be willing to do that, Putin could essentially invade any country he pleases, do anything he pleases and if anyone objects he just threatens nukes.

Personally I do not think Putin would launch a nuke over Ukraine, even if a no fly zone were established. That does not suit his purposes. Whether it is wise to actually call the bluff, though... probably not, at least right now. Just on the off chance.

However, what I DO agree with is refusing to say that it is categorically off the table. I don't see the harm in letting that remain an unknown, and giving Putin something to think about if he really goes off the rails in Ukraine.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

People always flee from the winning country in a war, right?

People generally flee from any country where a war is taking place and their lives are at risk. Who is 'winning' doesn't matter a single gently caress