Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Loucks posted:

It’s faster acceleration, not higher top speed. If you’re turning onto a busy road from a stop the time you spend going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous. You can always follow the speed limit and still benefit hugely from faster acceleration. Also it’s fun.

On the other hand if you need massive acceleration to make a turn, it wasn't safe to make the turn in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Loucks posted:

going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous.

Oh good, it had been like five whole pages since someone made this ridiculous assertion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cruft posted:

Oh good, it had been like five whole pages since someone made this ridiculous assertion.

I will let that one slide. For now. I’ll get my traffic design manual out just in case, though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

A colleague of mine needs helps with setting up all the necessary apps for charging their EV on the go. They own a Taycan Turbo S so obviously I have to test it out myself to make sure it works. Just in case.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A colleague of mine needs helps with setting up all the necessary apps for charging their EV on the go. They own a Taycan Turbo S so obviously I have to test it out myself to make sure it works. Just in case.

I hope this person appreciates what a nice friend you are, taking time out of your day for such a thankless chore.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

A '19 Taycan Turbo S is in Gran Turismo 7 and it's by far my favorite car to drive in the game. Hopefully you get to drive it around for a little bit...just to make sure things are working. I'd be extremely jealous.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAHa-jvLDE

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Home L2 / EVSE chat: given a house with an existing whole-home surge protector in the main panel, is it worth upgrading or adding more surge capacity for the EVSE / EV (either a more powerful whole-house unit, or a secondary one in eg a garage subpanel)?

Googling around finds a pretty even mix of generally un-sourced claims to various tunes:
  • definitely upgrade; what's another few 10s/100s of dollars on top of what you just spent on the car and the EVSE, for peace of mind?
  • standard whole-home suppressor is plenty, anything which gets past that is either small peanuts (meh) or a near-direct lightning strike (nothing to be done)
  • the car's internal charger/converter functions as surge protection (???)
  • the EVSE disconnects the line when not charging (granted, you'd still be at risk when it IS charging)

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Jimong5 posted:

I think they will finish up the recall but it sure seems to me that they are putting their eggs in the Ultium basket. I almost think we will see the Equinox EV before Bolts get ramped back up based on what GM has done in the past.

I've been waiting to get the EUV but may hold out for an Equinox, now. Or maybe just get a Kona EV. There are a few nearby at $42,000 (before tax credits).

e: What do people think about the Niro EV and the Kona EV?

Harveygod fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 9, 2022

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Buzz looks cool, disappointed on the lack of pricing and availability, signed up for emails. I was ready to put in a (presumably refundable) deposit.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Harveygod posted:

They seem reasonably well liked, have decent range, aren't enormous despite having SUV styling, and the main downside (at least for me when I was looking) is that their charging speeds aren't as good as more recent systems: 7 kW L2 vs 9.6 or 11, and ~75 kW L3 vs 150 or even higher.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Harveygod posted:

I've been waiting to get the EUV but may hold out for an Equinox, now. Or maybe just get a Kona EV. There are a few nearby at $42,000 (before tax credits).

The Kona is tiny, the Niro is only a little larger externally but that makes it far more useful IMO

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Home L2 / EVSE chat: given a house with an existing whole-home surge protector in the main panel, is it worth upgrading or adding more surge capacity for the EVSE / EV (either a more powerful whole-house unit, or a secondary one in eg a garage subpanel)?

Googling around finds a pretty even mix of generally un-sourced claims to various tunes:
  • definitely upgrade; what's another few 10s/100s of dollars on top of what you just spent on the car and the EVSE, for peace of mind?
  • standard whole-home suppressor is plenty, anything which gets past that is either small peanuts (meh) or a near-direct lightning strike (nothing to be done)
  • the car's internal charger/converter functions as surge protection (???)
  • the EVSE disconnects the line when not charging (granted, you'd still be at risk when it IS charging)

Every EVSE I looked at had a built-in surge protector

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My dad has a EV Kona. the powertrain is the best part, everything else is the worst. His has a gray interior and it feels very cheap. It's a 20k compact SUV with 15k of bonus EV powertrain. I don't love it. I also think the exterior styling is dumb, and strongly prefer the Niro in that respect.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Honestly, are you even really a true friend if you don’t take it off his hands for a week. Just really make sure it’s ready to go in all possible scenarios, you know? The least you could do.

My stupid I flat out don’t need this much car dream is a Taycan with the purple paint

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the ID.Buzz embargo dropped? The interior which we haven't seen is kind of meh ? and has the same capactivie bs buttons but whatever. Same battery as ID4.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/03/vw-unveils-adorable-electric-id-buzz-us-sales-begin-2024/
Autogefuel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dC79L_vb4

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It looks exactly like what everyone should have expected from the recent VW videos and the known aspects of the ID interior design language

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
no cargo version of the Buzz coming to America :(

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

QuarkJets posted:

Every EVSE I looked at had a built-in surge protector
Don't suppose you've got any links to back this up? I've not found anything on ClipperCreek's site one way or another, and ChargePoint (for another point of comparison) has little "you should really install surge protection" notes in their installation and electrician-tips documents, implying it doesn't have any.

EVSEs do tend to have language around ground fault protection (which is also why they often have weird issues when plugged into GFCI outlets) but my layman's understanding is that ground faults and power surges are different things.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bitprophet posted:

Don't suppose you've got any links to back this up? I've not found anything on ClipperCreek's site one way or another, and ChargePoint (for another point of comparison) has little "you should really install surge protection" notes in their installation and electrician-tips documents, implying it doesn't have any.

EVSEs do tend to have language around ground fault protection (which is also why they often have weird issues when plugged into GFCI outlets) but my layman's understanding is that ground faults and power surges are different things.

Yeah I hadn't heard of that. GFCI yes. No idea on your initial question though sorry. Seems like if it's a concern you have it would be worth it to upgrade if you're drawing more power than it was designed to handle.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My provincial hydro company has a program to get you matched up with an electrician to install a charger so I have signed up, see how that goes. Got a really easy install with a 200A panel with 100A free right in the garage so should be pretty straightforward.

Tons of rebates for installation too, it should be extremely inexpensive overall!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'll probably have an electrician rip out the 50A run I did a few years back, and put a 100A run in its place. I'd like to keep both but there's no way my home could handle that much POWAH. I wonder if they'll give me a discount if I let them keep the old cable.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

My provincial hydro company has a program to get you matched up with an electrician to install a charger so I have signed up, see how that goes. Got a really easy install with a 200A panel with 100A free right in the garage so should be pretty straightforward.

Tons of rebates for installation too, it should be extremely inexpensive overall!
Jealous, my local region ostensibly has EVSE installation rebates but they apparently ran out of the money for it real fast last year and there's no guarantee it'll return this year either. Thankfully the car I'm getting falls a bit under what I'd saved up for all this, so the rest pretty easily soaks up the cost of all this electrical work :v: (it's extra costly due to the garage being detached, sadly. trenching! long runs of conduit and copper! a new subpanel! putting back the stone walkway the trenching will have to dig up! ah, houses.)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

gwrtheyrn posted:

On the other hand if you need massive acceleration to make a turn, it wasn't safe to make the turn in the first place

Maybe not, but consider that my other car is an old Corolla in which safe turns become unsafe because the bastard is totally gutless. Durable though!

cruft posted:

Oh no are you the guy who tries to merge onto the freeway at 50 and just assumes the fully loaded tractor trailer bearing down on him at 80 has enough brakes?

e: If there's a good argument for the idea that jumping into traffic going way slower than the flow is a safe choice I'd love to hear it for real. Making a line of drivers slam on their brakes looks like a terrible idea to me though.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Buzz thoughts:

Good
The styling actually resolves a lot better than I thought, including in front. It doesn't look like a Typ 1, but it never was going to.
Two tone looks nice, I like the orange and white creamsicle, but the dark blue and white cargo van looks good too. I hope the colors stay for the US market which is notoriously color averse.
Colors in the interior - hope they are not available only with white. The orange seat centers look very nice.
Goofy little Jeep style details
170kw DC charging, 30 minutes to 80% sounds pretty promising.
Synthetic interior with recycled materials.
Nice wood inlay and interesting lines on the vents, sort of reminiscent of the i3.
Seems to have plenty of clever interior details on space and storage, which is something I really like about the alltrack. Phone storage, tray tables, configurable center console, etc.

Bad
We don't get the SWB, which would be ideal size for me.
Capacitive controls are dog poo poo goddamnit
wagon wheels with smallest size as 18s
No frunk but that's pretty well excusable since the front overhang is tiny.
Goofy little Jeep style details
white interior gonna get disgusting :chloe:
did they just like forget a charger storage system in the passenger one?

We didn't get any information about pricing etc. and it's clearly a first release with a bunch more models to come. Nothing I'm seeing excludes it from future consideration for me depending on the capacitive controls, but the driving experience matters. I'm interested in seat stowage especially on the LWB for the center seventh seat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

bitprophet posted:

Oh it was definitely gfci, I misremembered

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bitprophet posted:

Jealous, my local region ostensibly has EVSE installation rebates but they apparently ran out of the money for it real fast last year and there's no guarantee it'll return this year either. Thankfully the car I'm getting falls a bit under what I'd saved up for all this, so the rest pretty easily soaks up the cost of all this electrical work :v: (it's extra costly due to the garage being detached, sadly. trenching! long runs of conduit and copper! a new subpanel! putting back the stone walkway the trenching will have to dig up! ah, houses.)

Yeah I'm getting into this ASAP so it won't run out early. Although I'd be doing it even without the rebates, it's just nice. My install definitely won't be as complex as yours though! just either add a dryer plug next to the panel or hardwire a unit within a couple feet of the panel. ez peasy

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
One thing I would be curious about is if there’s surge protection with the EVs onboard inverter. I have the feeling that the car does more than the EVSE in negotiating the power flow, and would potentially have to deal with janky equipment.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Jimong5 posted:

One thing I would be curious about is if there’s surge protection with the EVs onboard inverter. I have the feeling that the car does more than the EVSE in negotiating the power flow, and would potentially have to deal with janky equipment.
Yea, this is one of the assertions I've seen (only in like 1-2 random spots though). It's believable but I'd feel better if I knew for sure. (Less believable was the very BTTF-like assertion that "EVs are surge-proof, any size surge will just flow through the inverter and charge the battery as fast as it's able" :science:)

So far it sounds like it's probably worth slapping a decent sized surge protector next to the new subpanel, they don't actually cost that much compared to everything else (maybe $125-150 for 50-80kA surges' worth). Would also protect the garage door opener & eg yard-tool chargers and the like.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lighting struck my car once and the little charge indicator shot way up and the car said "Charge is at four-hundred percent capacity". Then I looked at the camera and said "well how about that"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Loucks posted:

Oh no are you the guy who tries to merge onto the freeway at 50 and just assumes the fully loaded tractor trailer bearing down on him at 80 has enough brakes?

I'm the guy who's tired of people making the following assertion:

Loucks posted:

going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous.

QuarkJets posted:

Lighting struck my car once and the little charge indicator shot way up and the car said "Charge is at four-hundred percent capacity". Then I looked at the camera and said "well how about that"

I hope you had your cool glasses ready when this went down.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

And then you kicked Thor’s rear end.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It is very important that I be able to accelerate to 60 mph in 3 seconds, if it takes 3.2 seconds then that's going to cause a pileup and get an entire tractor trailer full of puppies killed. But I suppose a puppy murderer wouldn't care about that, you monster

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

And then you kicked Thor’s rear end.

Well yeah but that's my normal Thursday routine

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

cruft posted:

I'm the guy who's tired of people making the following assertion

So I gathered, but if it’s so obvious that joining the flow of traffic and matching it’s speed relatively quickly is somehow not a good idea itd be cool if you’d explain why instead of just getting all huffy about how anyone could believe otherwise. I’m not saying “buy a model S plaid or you will be hamburger,” I’m saying “my old Toyota takes forever to get up to 45 so I have to wait forever to find a big enough spot to safely merge when my 3LR makes it easy to safely make a turn when other cars exist within half a block.”

I’m serious. Tell me what’s wrong with that.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Loucks posted:

I’m serious. Tell me what’s wrong with that.

Sure, but first I'm going to move the goalposts back to what you originally wrote, and what I'm referring to, which is this

Loucks posted:

If you’re turning onto a busy road from a stop the time you spend going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous.

And what I'm saying is: no it isn't. Going less than the speed of traffic is not inherently dangerous, even if you recently turned.

It sounds like the point you were trying to make is that failure to yield is dangerous, and I don't disagree with that.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My car got hit by lightning and all I got was sent back to 1985.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I got rear ended due to a speed disparity so I'm weighing in on the side of going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I got rear ended due to a speed disparity so I'm weighing in on the side of going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous.

Did you cut someone off, or was the person behind you going 180 miles per hour and rammed you? The former would be failure to yield (your fault), the latter would be excessive speed (their fault).

Thinking about this a bit more: yeah, every rear-end collision is due to a speed disparity. In fact, every two-vehicle collision is due to a speed (actually velocity) disparity. If you were both going the same velocity, a collision wouldn't have been possible. :science:

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Quit it with the loving performance derail. Again.