Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
from elsewhere

Shear Modulus posted:

Well there was this today

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1499871212993925121

That guy stole a 2 billion dollar ship and all its crew from the navy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lmao

looking forward to the courts placing emergency injunctions on military operations based on a lawsuit pursued by hobby lobby wanting to steal relics from a war zone

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dustcat posted:

lmao

looking forward to the courts placing emergency injunctions on military operations based on a lawsuit pursued by hobby lobby wanting to steal relics from a war zone

lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I don't even understand how this is possible.

Since when can the civilian courts interfere with military justice and courts-martial?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

OhFunny posted:

I don't even understand how this is possible.

Since when can the civilian courts interfere with military justice and courts-martial?

when a court says it can

This chudge is saying that RFRA applies to the military just like any other federal government department so he's going to apply it here, and he decided that the navy doesn't have a strong enough justification to overcome the test established under RFRA

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Mar 6, 2022

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's good that the military must serve civilian authority, but this particular civilian authority is especially dumb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
weird how this falls under the purview of a civil judge but torturing people to death doesn't

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GreaterIdaho/status/1498697929871314944

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jackson County wants none of their poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

oh this isn't a joke huh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the joke is that they should be pro russian invasion

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I assume it's a chud thing, my parents won't shut the gently caress up about how they see going to move to Idaho from northern California because of 'gas prices'

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Idaho doesn't have any cities with minorities.

It's "getting away from liberal control" which really means getting away from Black and Latino people having a voice.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Speleothing posted:

Idaho doesn't have any cities with minorities.

It's "getting away from liberal control" which really means getting away from Black and Latino people having a voice.

neither does Oregon really, the largest non-white demographic is latino, and they're not particularly concentrated in cities, a driving force behind the state's political divides, or less prevalent in Idaho

Idaho is something like 5pp more white, and that's mostly due to Oregon having more asians/pacific islanders

while media narratives and racial resentments shouldn't be underestimated (see: coverage of Portland that has convinced people it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland), in this case the culture warring is absolutely about other white people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

samoan mormon erasure

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
can't believe Idaho is dead

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Idaho Population 1.780 Million
Oregon Population 4.21 Million

At most, I can't see Idaho gaining more than a million people.
But Maybe there are some good resources in the east part of Oregon.

The state of Idaho becomes the new rome.
Conquering all the little cities east and south of them. Then only stopping when met with the forces of Denver.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Mar 11, 2022

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

In Oregon it’s mostly just the normal thing you find with the rural interests largely being ignored by the liberals in the cities and all of those counties just being ceded to GOP culture warriors.

A lot of these little places are very dependent on agriculture/timber and the state government has been trying to find ways to specifically target those for more tax revenue. Since they have completely ceded the narrative this is spun as job killing tax hikes. In reality, these taxes were in fact cut before (also by Democrats) and it decimated the local government budgets when it happened.

It’s a continuation of normal things that Democrats in power do, with various policies getting enacted due to regulatory capture or direct lobbying by large industry groups that totally fucks regular people and communities they don’t care about. I work a lot in Southern Oregon and you can’t really overstate how much they despise the political institutions in the state. A lot of it has roots all the way back to the spotted owl days when the timber industry was upended and no one with power seriously did anything to help any of these little communities that died during the upheaval.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

frankenfreak posted:

can't believe Idaho is dead

thought of child support and died

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In Oregon it’s mostly just the normal thing you find with the rural interests largely being ignored by the liberals in the cities and all of those counties just being ceded to GOP culture warriors.

A lot of these little places are very dependent on agriculture/timber and the state government has been trying to find ways to specifically target those for more tax revenue. Since they have completely ceded the narrative this is spun as job killing tax hikes. In reality, these taxes were in fact cut before (also by Democrats) and it decimated the local government budgets when it happened.

It’s a continuation of normal things that Democrats in power do, with various policies getting enacted due to regulatory capture or direct lobbying by large industry groups that totally fucks regular people and communities they don’t care about. I work a lot in Southern Oregon and you can’t really overstate how much they despise the political institutions in the state. A lot of it has roots all the way back to the spotted owl days when the timber industry was upended and no one with power seriously did anything to help any of these little communities that died during the upheaval.

If anything, rural interest are very overrepresented at all levels in the US. But framing ignoring the will of the majority this way is pretty smart, makes you seem less undemocratic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

If anything, rural interest are very overrepresented at all levels in the US. But framing ignoring the will of the majority this way is pretty smart, makes you seem less undemocratic.

Just lol at this what are you even saying. The “will of the majority” is largely ignored in the government beyond the city/county level, regardless of how you slice it. No one cares about rural or urban general public interests in the US government aside from the perceived culture war objectives that earn votes.

https://scholar.princeton.edu/sites/default/files/mgilens/files/gilens_and_page_2014_-testing_theories_of_american_politics.doc.pdf

The entire reason there is a balk thread is because both sides will claim, “framing ignoring the will of the majority this way is pretty smart, makes you seem less undemocratic.” and be correct depending on where you draw the political boundary. All the while the material interests of both urban and rural populations are ignored in favor of the interests of moneyed elites stripping the copper out of the walls in the background while the facade of this “democracy” continues to fall apart under the increasingly violent and polarized back and forth culture war.

Right now the fire is banked at the national level but let’s see if the US can survive another bout of tug of war if we get a round of DeSantis, Trump, or whichever flavor of insanity the Rs put forward in 2024.

Nuclearmonkee has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Mar 15, 2022

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Fame Douglas posted:

Wealthy interests that extract value from rural areas are overepresented. Those little towns get to eat poo poo and die. This is like confusing suburban upper middle class F-350 drivers with actual rural poor people. Those big red blobs on a map that each get 2 senators and at least 1 rep each are not the same as the people that actually got to live (and die) there.

Ronwayne has issued a correction as of 06:17 on Mar 15, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

balk map

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

That one's probably the only way I'll ever live in the same state as a majority of my friends so I'm tentatively in favor

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

New Republic put out a Balk issue I guess

https://twitter.com/newrepublic/status/1514755481549553667?s=20&t=0uPLAaDFWbL6VqDW7EZsig
https://twitter.com/newrepublic/status/1515107992143904773?s=20&t=0uPLAaDFWbL6VqDW7EZsig

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It's not the craziest idea, people tend to migrate left and right to stay in their climate comfort zones.
English dialects follow that same patter. It's why there is more variation going North to South.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

i say swears online posted:

samoan mormon erasure

They tend to live in Utah in my experience

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1514964663573876744

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1514803786425925633

in terms of presidents people expected Joe Biden to follow in the footsteps of, very few would have guessed James Buchanan.

kicking back and enjoying the show, while southern states start making treaties independent of the federal government, because hey. trying to exert federal authority over diplomacy with foreign powers might prove ~divisive~.

going to be extremely funny when other states start cutting their own deals with neighbors. who's ready for Japan and China to have a proxy war over who gets most-favored-nation status in Seattle.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was saying before when you're getting to the point of states actively gearing up for genocide against minorities they're whipping themselves into full on blood libel over, and the military recognises this and is actively evacuating people before the state can torture their children to death... if this isn't leadup to the next civil war, feels like the alternative is much worse.

:stare:

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

It's not the craziest idea, people tend to migrate left and right to stay in their climate comfort zones.
English dialects follow that same patter. It's why there is more variation going North to South.

lol at one dialect covering all of the ROI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ErinInTheMorn/status/1517010154570588160
https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1517217597829361664

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

trump

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s a programmer’s “or”.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I use the term "security forces" when possible because it routes around middle class americans' trained-since-birth taboo of never criticizing the police. I've found its a great way to get past copaganda thought killing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1521299683213254657

relevant.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol unenumerated rights going forward will only mean poo poo that congress passed laws about previously??? thats a wacky ruling

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

balkanize

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Balk!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

lol unenumerated rights going forward will only mean poo poo that congress passed laws about previously??? thats a wacky ruling

does an unenumerated right in this sustain become not one if they kill the laws that congress talked about it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/BrynnTannehill/status/1521481078376181760