Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

they're a dirtbag who doesn't pay their bills?

Don't call my clients disgraceful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Immigration question:

I have a Russian friend who needs to GTFO.

He wants to immigrate to the states. His current long term plan involves (potential red flag) marriage to a US citizen, I don't know the length or history of their relationship yet.

What's his best next move? Get a travel visa for now then work things out once he's in the US?

And since the US embassy and consulates in Russia are not processing visas, it looks like Warsaw is the place they recommend to go for Russians. What are his chances, and wait times for processing?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Horatius Bonar posted:

Immigration question:

He wants to immigrate to the states. His current long term plan involves (potential red flag) marriage to a US citizen, I don't know the length or history of their relationship yet.

What's his best next move? Get a travel visa for now then work things out once he's in the US?

And since the US embassy and consulates in Russia are not processing visas, it looks like Warsaw is the place they recommend to go for Russians. What are his chances, and wait times for processing?

your russian friend needs a lawyer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

your russian friend needs a lawyer.

yeah, this isn't a lawyer-optional situation. us immigration law is fiendishly complex, and small errors can have big consequences, such as being ineligible for that spouse visa.

that said given the situation in russia he may need to roll the dice on how he gets out of russia and that's not really a question lawyers can answer. my non-lawyer advice would be to get to europe and deal with it then, though he would probably want to first land in a country that will let him claim asylum if need be

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm starting a LLC, gonna be selling videogame assets

-How much should I expect to pay to have a lawyer get everything in order to set up a LLC (on top of filing fees)? In my state the forms are relatively simple, but I have seen people say setting up your corporate structure improperly can bite you in the rear end.

-How do I find a decent registered agent service? I've found a few websites but (A) I have no clue how to tell whether they're good or not, and (B) some of them are obviously the same company with multiple names and website layouts, which gives me very little confidence they're legit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I'm starting a LLC, gonna be selling videogame assets

-How much should I expect to pay to have a lawyer get everything in order to set up a LLC (on top of filing fees)? In my state the forms are relatively simple, but I have seen people say setting up your corporate structure improperly can bite you in the rear end.

-How do I find a decent registered agent service? I've found a few websites but (A) I have no clue how to tell whether they're good or not, and (B) some of them are obviously the same company with multiple names and website layouts, which gives me very little confidence they're legit.

For just preparing the LLC, ask your CPA, they can do it, and can explain registered agent options.

Now, as for what to Do with the LLC, and the business, and how to run it properly, and whether what you want to sell/do is viable or appropriate or whatever, Google "business attorney [your county]

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Some CPAs I know charge $250-400 to set up an LLC

I charge $1,200 because I also do an operating agreement, meeting minutes, and an advisory meeting

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bird with big dick posted:

We’re in love, please allow your wife this one happiness.

Sorry I'm not a big dicked bird but she knew this already when she married me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Some CPAs I know charge $250-400 to set up an LLC

I charge $1,200 because I also do an operating agreement, meeting minutes, and an advisory meeting

How would I find a good CPA? I haven't started the business yet so I don't have one yet.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Ask someone you know who owns a business for a recommendation on a cpa. Ask that cpa for a business formation lawyer recommendation

How many pages is your business plan?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Horatius Bonar posted:

Immigration question:

I know someone that got married after dating a girl for like 4 months and immediately before his student visa expired. Based on this experience, I suggest your friend and his girlfriend get really religious and say god meant for them to be together

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Morbid Hypothetical:

Getting ready to go out for a delicious taco, I have a massive stroke and drop dead. I live alone, and haven't planned to meet up with anyone for at least a few days, so no friends would notice my absence. My contact with my family is a weekly phone call that's also several days away. Work is concerned that I've no called no showed, but I'm salaried with vacation time and a generally flexible schedule so they're not too worried, yet.

Two days from now, my favorite taco street vendor hasn't seen me at all, which they find unusual enough to ask the police to do a welfare check. The police find my corpse, gently decomposing, as devoid of taste in death as I was in life.

How is anyone in my life notified that I've died? Assume that identification isn't a problem, my wallet with a valid photo id etc is there, but my phone is locked, I didn't set an emergency contact, and I don't have a handy rolodex, so my personal and professional relationships are not immediately available.

I vaguely recall hearing about this kind of scenario, where some police officer needs to do a mini investigation to figure out who I was and who I knew. Will someone be called to identify my body?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Overall, what's the burden of proof like regarding NDA's? Let's say there was a workplace violation that was transmitted by someone to a third party, and that third party asks questions about it. What's the burden of proof on the side of the company, would they require messages, e-mails, or would hearsay/circumstance suffice to file a suit/win?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

Morbid Hypothetical:

Getting ready to go out for a delicious taco, I have a massive stroke and drop dead. I live alone, and haven't planned to meet up with anyone for at least a few days, so no friends would notice my absence. My contact with my family is a weekly phone call that's also several days away. Work is concerned that I've no called no showed, but I'm salaried with vacation time and a generally flexible schedule so they're not too worried, yet.

Two days from now, my favorite taco street vendor hasn't seen me at all, which they find unusual enough to ask the police to do a welfare check. The police find my corpse, gently decomposing, as devoid of taste in death as I was in life.

How is anyone in my life notified that I've died? Assume that identification isn't a problem, my wallet with a valid photo id etc is there, but my phone is locked, I didn't set an emergency contact, and I don't have a handy rolodex, so my personal and professional relationships are not immediately available.

I vaguely recall hearing about this kind of scenario, where some police officer needs to do a mini investigation to figure out who I was and who I knew. Will someone be called to identify my body?

As a banker I can tell you that they can just do a Lexis Nexis search and in most cases find family members/probable family members and get their phone numbers and addresses. That company knows so much about you that it’s scary.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

Ask someone you know who owns a business for a recommendation on a cpa. Ask that cpa for a business formation lawyer recommendation

How many pages is your business plan?

14 pages, but currently there's a lot of 'it depends on whether market testing is successful', and 'if things go well, then', and the corporate structure is 'just me'.

Basically I've got some game-ready assets I think people would want to buy for use in their own indie game projects. I have a test product I'm going to launch and see if it succeeds or collapses, and evaluate from there whether or not it's worth continuing. If there's strong interest, I'll want to keep rolling out new stuff, if people don't care that much I'll just leave it up as low-maintenance passive income stream and hopefully clear enough money to pay LLC and registered agent fees.

Either way, before I launch my test product, I want to be protected from any personal legal liability, and have a solid license put together by an actual lawyer, because I sure as hell am not gonna try to roll my own IP contract.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Volmarias posted:

Sorry I'm not a big dicked bird but she knew this already when she married me

She's straight, she doesn't want another beaver rubbing against hers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

As part of my post accident/injury/surgery I went to a PT for 3 months and then they basically cut me loose because they'd shown me all the exercises/stretches they could and they knew I was doing them diligently so there wasn't any good reason to do them diligently in their office on the other side of town when I could do them diligently at home.

Daily 15 minutes of neck strengthening and the 15-30 minutes of arm strength rehab which has morphed into 60-90 minutes of full on strength training.

I track this 99% of the time with my Apple watch (There's no "Iron Neck" exercise program built into it so I put it in as "Yoga").

Should I mention that I track this with my watch to my lawyer? I don't think it's ever really come up in any of our conversations. It seems like it could be useful as evidence of ongoing problems but I'm also extremely wary thinking that literally everything could somehow be pored over and scrutinized in such a way that the shitbag insurance company defense attorney twists it to somehow make me look bad or make it look like my injuries aren't as severe as they are. Like maybe it's just better to testify about this stuff at the increasingly likely trial rather than provide a shitload of digital data?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Should I mention that I track this with my watch to my lawyer?

Absolutely. Also mention to them your privacy concerns. Only you know how much your privacy is worth. Only your attorney will know how useful that data is, if at all. Then you can both talk about the costs and benefits of using it.
Always tell your attorney (except in Texas)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

it seems likely that the watch data may be covered by a discovery request or you may have an obligation to produce it, so you should tell your attorney.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

orange sky posted:

Overall, what's the burden of proof like regarding NDA's? Let's say there was a workplace violation that was transmitted by someone to a third party, and that third party asks questions about it. What's the burden of proof on the side of the company, would they require messages, e-mails, or would hearsay/circumstance suffice to file a suit/win?

The burden of proof in civil cases in the USA is generally preponderance of the evidence

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Morbid Hypothetical:

They probably pull up your LinkedIn, let your office know, who then calls your emergency contact.

Or they just hunt around for some indication of where you work (badge, uniform, pay stub).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

As a banker I can tell you that they can just do a Lexis Nexis search and in most cases find family members/probable family members and get their phone numbers and addresses. That company knows so much about you that it’s scary.

Ham Equity posted:

They probably pull up your LinkedIn, let your office know, who then calls your emergency contact.

Or they just hunt around for some indication of where you work (badge, uniform, pay stub).

Thanks!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
This is one reason why senior services agencies make a big push for olds to have a File of Life or similar somewhere easy to find in their homes. Probably not a bad idea for anybody, tbh.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Morbid Hypothetical:

Fun story: I know a guy from back when we were kids, went to school together and then small town after that. He had a somewhat uncommon name but nothing crazy, like Brad Pitt. One day some poor schmuck named Brad Pitt dies in a car accident on the highway a few hours away. The troopers do one of those searches and knock on Brad Pitt's mom's door at 2am, and tells her that her son died. She's devastated, his dad is devastated, and they wake up his older brother who is devastated. The three of them then drive to Brad Pitt's girlfriend's house to break the news to her. She answers the door, at like 4am, and is told Brad died by Brad's weeping family. She stared at them confused, told them to hold on, and went to wake Brad up.

The Troopers notified the parents of the wrong Brad Pitt.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Okay, so now the fuckers at my wife's air force job hosed with her rank, unofficially demoting her just for single ceremony without telling her until tonight. It's not an official thing, just some jackasses pulling bullshit but it's documented from them. It's just one thing after another. How do I go about looking for a federal employment lawyer? I've never looked for a lawyer in anything before and I don't know where to start. Can someone give me some pointers? I'm in Alabama.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 11, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Okay, so now the fuckers at my wife's air force job hosed with her rank, unofficially demoting her just for single ceremony without telling her until tonight. It's not an official thing, just some jackasses pulling bullshit but it's documented from them. It's just one thing after another. How do I go about looking for a federal employment lawyer? I've never looked for a lawyer in anything before and I don't know where to start. Can someone give me some pointers? I'm in Alabama.

IANAL but here's an important pointer: Get the gently caress out of Alabama.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

pseudanonymous posted:

IANAL but here's an important pointer: Get the gently caress out of Alabama.

If I could I would.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My company is granting me an equity award for performance. However, it comes with a catch should I accept - a non-compete clause that runs for my employment period plus 18 months afterward.

I have no plans to leave the company any time soon and I've been here for over five years. However, I don't like the idea of a non-compete in general, if a nice opportunity comes my way. I've heard that non-competes are typically unenforceable; how accurate is this?

My discipline is very transferable to different industries, but my company is also dipping their finger into many different pies - diversifying its portfolio, so to speak.

I'd love any feedback or advice on such a quandary.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

My company is granting me an equity award for performance. However, it comes with a catch should I accept - a non-compete clause that runs for my employment period plus 18 months afterward.

I have no plans to leave the company any time soon and I've been here for over five years. However, I don't like the idea of a non-compete in general, if a nice opportunity comes my way. I've heard that non-competes are typically unenforceable; how accurate is this?

My discipline is very transferable to different industries, but my company is also dipping their finger into many different pies - diversifying its portfolio, so to speak.

Good question for your attorney.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Midniter posted:

non-compete enforceability varies wildly between states, and even in states that enforce them is very fact-specific (it may depend on your job, it may depend on if there are geographical restrictions, or whatever else your state has decided). there is no way you can get a good answer you can rely on without speaking to a local attorney.

further, even a non-compete that is ultimately unenforceable may deter someone from hiring you if your state does not have clear enough rules making it unenforceable so that you could get it very quickly dismissed. doesn't do much good if you get stuck in a year-long trial if you ultimately prevail because the job that hired you decided "this is not worth the headache" and hired the person they liked a little less than you. so not only do you need advice on how legally enforceable they are, you need advice on how, in practice, they are litigated in your area.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Non-competes can also be pretty negotiable (depending on the company of course). You might be able to get them to drop it or at least shorten it. Maybe not in this case since it comes with a carrot to go with the stick, but doesn't hurt to ask if you haven't.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

https://www.google.com/search?q=federal+employment+lawyer+alabama

Call a few, ask for a consult, ask if they charge for consultation, make sure you are clear that you are looking for someone that has experience in dealing with the military

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think fed employment law is one rare topic where locality does not matter

I’m not sure

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
If the equity grant is enough to cover 18 months of your salary then it’s worth it.

But yeah, like everyone else said, they are widely un enforced/unenforceable but that doesn’t mean that your particular employer won’t make a fuss. I had a former employer threaten me with one I signed fresh out of college, but once I made it clear that I would fight it in court they dropped it immediately.

If you’re in CA or would be looking in CA for your next job, they’re illegal there, and the AG of NY and probably some other states has been real negative about them. Maybe look up cases in your state and see if they’ve been upheld generally?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Pirate Captain posted:

Maybe look up cases in your state and see if they’ve been upheld generally?

If you do this, and if the answer is anything but California's "Nope, they're always unenforceable" bright line rule, your next step then needs to be call a lawyer in your state. The fact that it's tied to an equity reward may, or may not, matter. There may, or may not, be different rules applicable to a restraint on employment during your term versus the 18-month period after. There may, or may not, be certain facts that you're not even aware of mattering that change the answer here.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

I think fed employment law is one rare topic where locality does not matter

I’m not sure

Yeah, you can look for a federal employment attorney nation wide (assuming you don't want to meet in person with them).

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do auto insurance companies ever offer over coverage limits just to avoid trial expense, like coverage limit + 50% of expected trial cost? Not really relevant in my case but I was just curious, seems like it could be something that would make fiscal sense if the insurance company was pretty sure it was going to lose anyway.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

They’d offer coverage limits minus whatever they’ve spent on attorney fees.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Do auto insurance companies ever offer over coverage limits just to avoid trial expense, like coverage limit + 50% of expected trial cost? Not really relevant in my case but I was just curious, seems like it could be something that would make fiscal sense if the insurance company was pretty sure it was going to lose anyway.

In my limited experience, insurance companies will rarely offer more than the policy limits because that's all they're obligated to provide. While there are some exceptions to this rule, and some plaintiffs that are collectible beyond insurance limits (and thus may contribute personally to a settlement), I would never expect more than policy limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Buy an umbrella liability policy.