Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Last time I was doing space research I found the dupe wasted a poo poo ton of time refilling the machine with plastic, even when it was nearby, simply because of where they stand and the animations, and the machine doesn't hold much plastic. So consider possibly giving up on the simultaneous telescope & research and doing one or the other, but having room for an auto-sweeper to load the plastic might be worthwhile. As could a light over the research station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Rescue Toaster posted:

Last time I was doing space research I found the dupe wasted a poo poo ton of time refilling the machine with plastic, even when it was nearby, simply because of where they stand and the animations, and the machine doesn't hold much plastic. So consider possibly giving up on the simultaneous telescope & research and doing one or the other, but having room for an auto-sweeper to load the plastic might be worthwhile. As could a light over the research station.

This is for deep space exploration. With the DLC, the research now creates data banks (floppy disks) as you go, so this is for heading out to telescope a distant region, and getting some data banks during the journey. I only have the final stages left, and they need 1000+ data banks, so it's a slow and steady churn.
On another note, I have semi-succesfully landed on 2 more asteroids using a single rocket with 2 dupes, 1 trailblazer, and the new Orbital Cargo Module. Make the trailblazer from iron, load the module with 2.4 tons of it, then it shoots 12 bullets to the surface so you can drop the trailblazer near a group of 3 or so and it's easily enough to whack up a rocket pad and land. Both times I ran out of food, but the first mission returned with a single sleet wheat grain so berry sludge production is on the horizon!

Pro tips:
Put the spacefarer module directly above the engine so you don't need to build so many ladders.
Take the material for building ladders in the capsule so the left behind dupe can start building their way out. Useful if for example the entire planet surface is covered in abyssalite and magma.
Bring dirt for basic toilets if you plan on staying!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Something I've been experimenting with is building temp shift plates in the module for some additional stuff I'll need. Storage containers are mostly a hassle to manage for multiple resources, since dupes will insist on filling a container with tons of steel, and one kg of dirt.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Woo! Nuclear power is go! Only 2 dupes were slightly irradiated in the making of this reactor, and I have to wait for another 7 cycles for it to power down before I can install some much needed 'supplementary rad shielding'.
For reference, 2 tiles thick drops it to ~1000 rads (kinda fatal), & it take ~5 tiles to make it OSHA compliant, so 4 is kinda OK as long as they don't spend all day standing there. I'll get pics in the morning.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

OzyMandrill posted:

Woo! Nuclear power is go! Only 2 dupes were slightly irradiated in the making of this reactor, and I have to wait for another 7 cycles for it to power down before I can install some much needed 'supplementary rad shielding'.
For reference, 2 tiles thick drops it to ~1000 rads (kinda fatal), & it take ~5 tiles to make it OSHA compliant, so 4 is kinda OK as long as they don't spend all day standing there. I'll get pics in the morning.

I think one full tile of lead can absorb 100%, not the metal constructed kind though, a tile of liquid molten lead

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This one I think would work better if it were more "U" shaped and less "V" shaped.

But it has a feature that I think is pretty neat.

If the steam box is hot and at low pressure, and the steam turbines are cool, and the batteries are low, it'll drop water on the bunker tile, which flashes to steam and increases the pressure, giving a burst of power. I think it would be better if there was constant high pressure in there instead of just sporadically, even if it's finagled to happen when needed. Anyone good at maintaining high steam pressure? Please post nuclear powerplants.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

DreadLlama posted:

Please post nuclear powerplants.

Here's mine (no space materials):

Just warming up after a little tweaking so not quite up to temperature, and I don't quite have room for the full 13 theoretical turbines, but 9 should be plenty. I'm more interested in automating radbolts for research & space travel.

Liquids:

So I recycle all the water from the turbines, with a preferential feed to the reactor, and any overflow just gets dumped straight back in. The whole thing has been charged with ~20kg/tile of steam at the moment, and I'm planning on showing some more in when I get a chance. It works pretty well as a closed system, so I plan to charge it to about 40-50kg a tile, that should make sure the back corners get a decent amount. I might also retrofit some kind of water recovery and do the whole water cleaner thing.

Power:

Rads:

Rooms on the left are planned for a new rad & plant mutation research facility.

Automation:
The only one I have is a switch to turn of refueling at the reactor, and:

This is a cycle timer going into a XOR gate with a 0.2-second filter. So when the cycle timer goes green, there is 1 blip before the filter turns green, so this setup gives an exact 1 pulse of green per cycle to the reset switch on the conveyor meter to feed exactly 10kg of fuel per cycle.

Edit 47: Lead metal blocks only absorb 68% of rads, which is pretty much the best easily available. Igneous rock is a reasonable bulk shield at 60%.
Tho, I am hoping to test out the restricted-coolant variant and push operating temperatures > 500 to do nuclear powered sour gas stuff, and using the molten form of lead as a bottom layer under the nuclear waste. Looking in the wiki, it suggests that the most mass you get would be 2000kg per tile, and that isn't quite the 2500kg needed to be 100%, but should be up in the 90s. A lot of effort when you can just wang more layers of igneous on. Not sure lead tiles are even worth it comparatively.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 22, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So, after some use, the Mk 42:

I'm happy with the way the radbolt output turned out. It was meant to be 2 rad joint plates, but they are plastic so the inner one melted to naptha. luckily, a blon of that over drywall makes a perfectly good seal for the reactor, and there's a space of vacuum to keep the heat away from the other one. The naptha absorbs less that 1 radbolt, so it all worked out nicely in the end.
Steam-wise, this is running at 80kg/tile, tho that's just cos I kind of mesed up a valve and didn't notice. Works fine tho. I will have to tone it down to 10-20 so I can automate water cleaning and recovery

Generates radbolts for a rocket and to finish off the research tree, and a decent whack of power. I want to adapt it to process the polluted water vent water at full rate without using sand, which is the biggest issue so far.
Atm my base is a mess, but with the new rad rocket I managed to plop down a pad on the water planet (shoot ~2k of refined metal at the surface, same type as the lander you use, then land 1 dupe. They deconstruct the lander, open 2 bullets, and that is 800kg of metal to build a pad and land the rocket. I then just spend cycles building a very long ladder down until I grabbed a few tons of graphite, enough to make tons and tons of super coolant. Next task is to replace the water cooling with super coolant and only use 1 aquatuner, gaining a kW back.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
There's some nuclear waste pooling between my radbolt generator and materials lab. I have nothing but shine bugs, breezeworts, and radiation lamps there, so I'm a bit confused how the nuclear waste got created to begin with. I haven't even unlocked research reactors or any of the other ways the wiki says can drop them.

Do radbolt generators drop nuclear waste if they lose power? If the radbolt hits a duplicant?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

If a radbolt collides with something living (critter/dupe) it generates 1g of fallout per radbolt.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
So despite like 1000 hours into this god drat addictive game (base game, not Spaced Out!), I keep petering out during the space missions. Always stop before I hit Hydrogen rockets.

I'm currently preparing to restart again after like 2300 cycles for no reason other than

"oh god look at this shithole, I should have done the global cooling system completely differently and would have shaved off 50% of my power costs and also I hate my geysers and also I hate where they are and also I don't have a narcoleptic Gossman who I can blame for literally everything including all these bad design decisions I made"

So I started using the ToolsNotIncluded seed search. I'm thinking of picking a seed with 3-4 Natural Gas Geysers, 1-2 Hydrogen Geysers, a water geyser (oh my god these are the best, I want one of these on every map from now on), some form of polluted water geyser, a metal volcano, and a magma volcano.

Long term, that should cover all my bases, right? Or is there another type of geyser I should be seeking for sustainability benefits? Maybe Chlorine for Gassy Moos, but they seem terrible on paper...?

In terms of long term projects... I tried doing a giant regolith heat capture plate on the surface in my latest colony, completely passive system without mining out the regolith or sweeping it or anything. It generated about 1600-2200w across 5 steam turbines perpetually. That's a fair amount of free power, but it still feels really low for the absurd amount of mass/heat regolith brings down. Or am I just overestimating the SHC of regolith vs the SHC of steam?

Googling regolith steam machines either brings up Regolith melters (oh jesus, scary) or dutifully sweeping up all the regolith and conveyor looping it until the material cools below some threshold. I'll make a melter eventually, but as a stop gap... is there a better way to harvest regolith heat that doesn't involve dupes/auto-miners/stupidly painful Sweepy + auto-sweeper setups in a vacuum?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Get good with volcano tamers (*), and play a Volcanea map. Having a bazillion watts of power always on is nice, and you can ezpz use them for desalination or pwater cleaning.

(*) if you have one of those scalding-hot giant obsidian boulders, you can use these too. Water-lock into them from the side, plan a ladder grid in obsidian tiles, and mine the whole thing out. Then, make a floor from iron ore mesh tiles, and build iron smart storage bins on it. Try and make it square-shaped with a few floors of mesh tiles and bins. Set the bins to sweep-only, and sweep up all the obsidian and igneous rock you mined out. Build obsidian tempshift plates if you want. Line the inside of the room with iron tiles, and the outside with insulated mafic rock. Before you close the room off, plumb in a single liquid pipe to a vent so you can fill it with water later. After everything is capped off, pour water in until you have about 200kg/tile of steam pressure.

With the iron tiles, you can set up a door-based heat injector to power a steam turbine setup. I was able to get about 1.5kw continuously for 300 cycles with a 20x20 obsidian boulder.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
oh god no never volcanea

I'm on a Terra, I have a heatbox down in the oil biome with literally every single piece of heat producing equipment inside it (except the cooking stuff).

Despite pumping -10 C Oxygen into the base for hundreds of cycles and a hydrogen soaked set of wild wheezeworts deleting 9 kDTU/s above the rec room, it's still 31 C inside the base, 36 C just outside, and +40 C through the rest of the asteroid.

I cannot figure out where all this ambient heat is coming from - literally every single heat producer on the map is inside a perfectly thermally sealed vacuum box. Even the heatbox entrance in the oil biome is sealed by a double layer of abyssalite and a vacuum chamber to ensure NO thermal conductivity.

I'd die in 10 minutes on an asteroid where the average temperature is hot enough to cook my dupes without an exo. I obviously can't properly manage heat on Terra, Volcanea would just be certain death due to incompetence, until I figure what the hell I'm doing stupid making everything so hot despite investing thousands of cycles into thermal management. Though, maybe dying faster from extreme environments would teach me faster.

Now Rime, I've considered... a lot. I hate heat death, so a giant ball of ice sounds wonderful.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Xaiter posted:

Googling regolith steam machines either brings up Regolith melters (oh jesus, scary) or dutifully sweeping up all the regolith and conveyor looping it until the material cools below some threshold. I'll make a melter eventually, but as a stop gap... is there a better way to harvest regolith heat that doesn't involve dupes/auto-miners/stupidly painful Sweepy + auto-sweeper setups in a vacuum?

Afaik the main ways are use robo-miners or setup a door crusher system. I don't think I've ever done the latter.

Regolith doesn't really have much heat in it but if you wanted to use it for power anyways... Tony Advanced has what seems like a decent tutorial for it.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

AotC posted:

Afaik the main ways are use robo-miners or setup a door crusher system. I don't think I've ever done the latter.

Regolith doesn't really have much heat in it but if you wanted to use it for power anyways... Tony Advanced has what seems like a decent tutorial for it.

Eh, yeah. He said it too, regolith has very little SHC so there's not much heat to actually soak. Three whole rails running non-stop is hardly worth 1400-1800 w/s unless I really want cold regolith for some reason, which I don't.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and make a regolith melter. I need to dispose of the excess objects eventually, before they start clogging up perf again. I'm scheming up a regolith melter that doesn't involve door shenanigans, those always feel really cheeky.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Thermodynamics man. Every time anything does anything it gives off heat. Every geyser you open is pouring heat into your world. Every non-Insulation pipe will be leaking heat. Unless you are concentrating it and using a chimney to vent into space, it is going to hang around and warm up everything. You can't stop entropy...

... er, actually you can. Bite the bullet and start using active cooling!

Starting with simple hydrogen cooling loop (I use it for freezing food):

That is kept working with just a simple loop into the main water tank:

That's enough for the first 100 cycles or so.

Then, once I get steel and plastic, you can get an aquatuner with p.water cooling a big block of stone, and then little cooling loops running around the base:

Looks complex, it isn't really*. The heart is a simple loop of pwater going through a pipe-temp sensor connected to the aquatuner. If the water is >0, then it gets aquatuned, and that's pretty much all the automation you need. The chilled water then flows through the big block of tiles on the right, and there are 3 other cooling loops that just run next to it with radiant pipes. These are effectively funnelling heat from everywhere else on the map into this block. You tune each loop by varying how many segments of radiant pipe touch the cooling block, and once set up it should just run and run.

Power-wise:

1kW feed to the battery, once it gets up to temperature, the steam generator + 1kW input is enough to let the aquatuner run continuously. At first it will run in small spurts, as battery fills/discharges, but that's fine. It will still chill, just slower at first.

Hardest part is getting all the other gases out, this particular one I had to use a layer of salt water, polluted water, and clean water to do 3 stripes. But, you don't have to!
Here's a hilariously silly multi-volcano tamer (that also has an aquatuner to do base tuning and cooling the output to a nice 25 degrees):

Exactly the same principles, just scaled up. This time, the gas cleaning was done after it was active with a gas pump/filter in the top right. This purged all the lighter than steam gases over a cycle or so as it was running (a blob of not-steam effectively blocks the turbine vents, and hangs around making stuff not work). A nice steam room you can go in/out of works wonders too. Little longer to heat up/get going, but that's fine.

I know there's a feeling of 'stop telling people to use turbine/aquatuner!', which I feel should be more 'don't just copy Francis John', so yeah, don't just copy a setup. But the turbine is literally the heat->power conversion device (which is a vital part of mid-late game!), with the caveat that you need to get heat over 125c to feed it. The Aquatuner is the most efficient heat-pump available, but if you just consider them in their roles, you can use them in other ways too. If you have an excess of water, you can put the aquatuner in an open topped pool up by space and pump waste water in to boil off while the tuner cools the base, no turbine needed.

The overall difference, here is my main base in my current game on cycle 1000:

Absolutely no regard made for temperature division as I have active cooling in the important parts. There's a bristle blossom farm at 25 degrees, and a sleet wheat at exactly 2 degrees.

Edit: At first, I just dumped all the water in the start biome into a pool at the bottom, and used this to cool a loop that keeps the core base cool. This is the central clean water tank now. This then had the first aquatuner attached to it - probably around cycle 200 or so. I just cool that tank and the existing cooling loops carried on doing their thing. Eventually I added another aquatuner at the top of the map to generate steam for the first rockets, and that then grew to cool the top half of the map. The bottom one was then extended to cover the expanding industry/power, and by the time it started struggling to keep on top (the bristle blossoms got stifled) I had just got the first super coolant. Only took a cycle to replace the inner cooling loop and then 4x the cooling capacity in the same steam box (tho careful not to overheat it if you do this. I cooked all the residue of dirt/salt into sand blocks, entombed the aquatuner, and had to tunnel in from underneath to fix it.

The steel for the 1st aquatuner I made by just having another small pool of pwater and piping that directly into the metal foundry. As long as it goes in < 50 degrees, you can safely make 1200kg of steel from even a small pool of pwater.

Here's the heat:

Er yeah. That's what 1000 cycles of no planning gets you.

* Filling at least one base with superheated steam is a rite of passage. The dupes love it.

Edit 2: What I think I'm also fumbling towards is: Heat is just energy, and the final step in ONI from surviving->thriving is exploiting this. Being able to move/convert heat energy into power (and back), and effectively transport it like any other resource. Yeah. Do a Volcanea run! Get that sweet volcano energy and never worry about power again.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 9, 2022

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
That is a beautiful colony, hot drat. Nice to see other people making their own spaghetti hells.

I'll post the last cycle of Space Citadel tonight. I've got a setup of 5 Aquatuners in the Steam Turbine box at the bottom of the map pumping the main cooling loop for thr ENTIRE map, but it's using petroleum so the energy efficiency is trash. I didn't check SHC until waaaay too late, was too concerned with minimum/maximum temps at first to realize how bad anything but Water/Pwater is in aquatuners.

I might try to do the next colony on stream if I have the energy this time around, really should. It's fun to scream at Gossman when she falls asleep in the middle of a P0 task.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Xaiter posted:

oh god no never volcanea

I'm on a Terra, I have a heatbox down in the oil biome with literally every single piece of heat producing equipment inside it (except the cooking stuff).

Despite pumping -10 C Oxygen into the base for hundreds of cycles and a hydrogen soaked set of wild wheezeworts deleting 9 kDTU/s above the rec room, it's still 31 C inside the base, 36 C just outside, and +40 C through the rest of the asteroid.

I cannot figure out where all this ambient heat is coming from - literally every single heat producer on the map is inside a perfectly thermally sealed vacuum box. Even the heatbox entrance in the oil biome is sealed by a double layer of abyssalite and a vacuum chamber to ensure NO thermal conductivity.

I'd die in 10 minutes on an asteroid where the average temperature is hot enough to cook my dupes without an exo. I obviously can't properly manage heat on Terra, Volcanea would just be certain death due to incompetence, until I figure what the hell I'm doing stupid making everything so hot despite investing thousands of cycles into thermal management. Though, maybe dying faster from extreme environments would teach me faster.

Now Rime, I've considered... a lot. I hate heat death, so a giant ball of ice sounds wonderful.

Volcanea is usually a very temperate map, tbh. It has a lot of swamp & ice biomes. It just has a lot of volcano boulders in it, but they're entombed by abyssalite.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
on volcanea you basically have infinite power as soon as you find a tiny bit of oil to make some plastic. it's pretty nice

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Truga posted:

on volcanea you basically have infinite power as soon as you find a tiny bit of oil to make some plastic. it's pretty nice

You know, with a third recommendation to do it... gently caress it, yeah. I'll start a new Volcanea map tonight. I'll do some seed searching at lunch for one with water/pwater/hydrogen vents.

Seriously, I'd never hit on a Water Geyser before somehow and now I don't ever want to go back. I've been using cool steam vents forever... And wow, the water geyser is just infinitely less painful to convert into an elctrolyzer setup. It produces enough water that even 15 dupes couldn't make a dent in the output. Three times the mass production of a Steam Vent with ~15% less heat per KG. All hail the water geyser!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Any advice for power not on volcanea? Power and plastic are my perpetual weakness in this game.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Any advice for power not on volcanea? Power and plastic are my perpetual weakness in this game.

How much power? I assume you're using as much automation to shut things off as possible, and not running things like incubators or the dupe funsie things like jukeboxes. I can generally run a 12-dupe base on a SPOM and 1 coal generator to fill gaps.

Beyond that, build a petroleum boiler. You get approximately 9kw of power per every 3 oil wells, and it's very hands-off except venting the oil wells every 3 cycles. I used a hot obsidian boulder to make a petroleum boiler just to convert all the oil on my map to petroleum for plastic & rockets, and I haven't hooked up any of my oil wells. I went straight beyond boiler.

If you need more than that, build a regolith melter. I'm flatlining like 25-28 steam turbines with mine, and it's a single-rail melter. I also have a limitless supply of igneous rock for my hatch farm, which provides limitless coal for my backup power plant which never turns on anymore. Unintuitively, coal becomes a secondary late-game power supply just from hatch ranches.

If you want plastic, set up a drecko slavery farm. Mine was producing like 6T per cycle in steady-state.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Long term or medium term?

For medium, coal generators hooked up to smart batteries with automation wires, along with ranching hatches will last a good while.

Long term you either want to harness all the magma in the core, nuclear or make a petroleum boiler. Sour gas boiler is another option, but you have to be a bit crazy for one of those.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Azuth0667 posted:

Not sure how in-depth to get here, so forgive me if some of this crap is already known to you.

You're guaranteed at least two NG geysers, but they only produce enough material to run like one generator 24/7. I try to rush NG and Automation, skipping over Coal because it sucks to automate due to garbage automation controls on the Coal Generator making it an invalid target for refueling if it isn't currently on and generating power. I don't even recommend making any generators at all until you can connect them to a smart battery to prevent fuel/power waste and excess waste material/heat production.

Even if you don't want to go cookie cutter and make a SPOM, naturally filtering your H/O2 without gas filters will let you squeeze a bit of surplus power out of your O2 production.

Plastics can be acquired from Glossy Dreckos to get that first hunk for a steam turbine and high pressure vents. Petroleum Presses for plastic like being submerged in up to 100 KG of water in their bottom tile, which helps keep the material and the press cool enough to not just pee scalding hot naptha, even if the input petroleum is +100C already.

Petroleum generators are great, but their CO2 output screams neglected molten slickster farm or vent that poo poo into space. I kept a herd of like 200 ungroomed slickers in the carbon tank for a while to get some free power, but had to tone it back for FPS purposes. Did produce a shitload of meat though and excess eggs from the 1-2 groomed slicksters.

In theory, if you can convert all of a Petroleum Generator's waste output carbon into petroleum via Molten Slicksters, the waste pwater into water and then into oil and then refine that, burn the NG output from the oil and reclaim the Pwater from that for MORE oil... It actually ends up being slightly water positive and self-sustaining. Problem is Molten Slickers suck. Getting a sustainable input volume : consumption rate ratio is just drat near impossible. They either eat too much and depressurize the room and risk starving if groomed, or don't eat enough and the room pressure maxes out and now you've got to vent excess carbon. So I wouldn't count on making it a perfectly self-sustaining system, the margins are just too drat thin, I think.

I tried solar for a bit, was extremely unimpressed by the power output for the insane amount of materials required to build a setup to protect/mine them without using door crusher exploits. But I'm pretty bad with space area stuff, so this could just be me sucking.

One thing to note I learned way too late. Since tuners remove flat degrees, materials with higher Specified Heat Capacities are more efficient to use. Obvious enough, but there is a vast, vast disparity between Water/Pwater and anything that isn't super coolant. Pwater has an SHC of 4.18 and Petroleum is 1.7. You're moving more than twice as much heat for the same amount of power using Pwater over Petroleum. If you use Pwater, you can actually pull enough heat out that a Steam Turbine can generate more power from that heat than you spent moving it.

blah that was a lot of words sorry for the essay

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I guess I'm mid game, 120ish cycles? I'm using a SPOM and coal right now. The SPOM needs babysitting because the excess hydrogen is never enough. The coal outright does not put out enough power. I'm trying to make an industrial brick so I can begin mass refining materials and producing plastic. I still don't have access to oil because my connected oil planet is a shitshow.

E: I need to get my automation going too because I have too much work for 10 dupes to do now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Just checking but you’re aware you can have multiple coal generators hooked to the same circuit, right?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Yes I usually run two hooked up to a smart battery with an auto sweeper and coal storage.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Ranch hatches for food, get them turned into stone hatches ASAP, and feed them your leftover rock. Build as much coal as you need to power the industrial brick (you should be able to use the heavy wire for this). I'd recommend a separate dedicated circuit for the brick at that point, and you can do some fancy automation shenanigans in the future to have the steam turbines from the brick throw their power into the brick first, with the coal only kicking in as a backup when the batteries get low.

That'll tide you over for a very long time, and as long as you keep an eye on how much rock you have, you should be fine for at least a hundred to two hundred cycles or so.

And, of course, once you get geothermal power up and running and you're generating excess igneous rock, then the hatch ranching can be kept sustainable.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Azuth0667 posted:

The SPOM needs babysitting because the excess hydrogen is never enough.

Never enough for your main grid, or to keep the SPOM going? Cause the SP stands for self-powered... You are doing something wrong if it does not produce enough energy for itself.
Post a picture of your SPOM if you want help figuring it out

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

SPOMs: If the hydrogen isn't enough then check atmo sensor values, and oxygen throughput:
1) Atmos sensors: These are for 2 jobs. 1- make sure the pumps aren't sucking on vacuum (inefficient), and 2 - to pull gas pressure off the electrolysers so they can run more often. I use Oxygen pumps with (>600) and the hydrogen pump at (>450, basically as low as possible to really help pull gas off the electrolysers.

2) A single electrolyser can support 10 dupes (well, more like 8-9 with losses), so a double unit needs at least 10+ dupes breathing else it will back up due to oxygen pressure. This then ends up burning more power for the pumps than you get from the hydrogen. If you have geyser sources for the water, then don't be afraid to just vent the oxygen (or use it to pressurise the whole map).

3) Hydrogen burn-off - When all is working well, you get more hydrogen than it takes to run. This will back up the pipes, blockl the pump, and overpressure your electrolysers. You need to either detect this, and have another battery/transformer to export the excess power (complex electric grid), or more simply just pipe the H to another generator in your power block and burn it off into your main grid.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Power gen has a bunch of stages you need to go through, and to stretch out the stages to be more manageable requires better economising,

Wheel& Battery -> Coal, smart battery, automation = start a 'power station'.
Plan for making a generator room with a station and just generators in. Once you get lead, the tuneup is so cheap as to be a no-brainer.
Add coal to the overlay and keep an eye on it. Ranching hatches is vital to stretching this out. In fact ranching in general is generally quite economical early on. Plastic from dreckos is fab.

Geysers (= infinite source of power)
Gas is the simplest,. Suck it up and pipe it out. A gas geyser should be able to run 1 generator constantly, or 2-3 with automation and economy.
Anything else requires taming, and only lava is really a good power source (or a full on steam vent but you need space materials for that)

At this point you should be able to run 1kW of stuff almost constantly, 2-3kW of stuff stop/start. Look at getting small scale metal refining up and running - though I have not had to go above 1 refinery on a whole run recently. Cool in a puddle, and look to get a centralised cooling for base + industry.

Power should now be starting to be compartmentalised. The generator block should have a small section of heavi-watt wire connecting stuff, and transformers out to 1kW wires for the consumers. These can be extended to small consumer circuits with a battery on (<1kW of machinery, or use a conductive wire and <2kw) connected by a transformer to a 1kW distribution wire, amd you can hang 3 consumers of 1 distributor and get pretty efficient spread of power around a large base.
(This really needs diagrams, but I cant right now!) See my post above for a simple 1kw transformer->battery->aquatuner which is an example of a small consumer circuit fed from a single 1kW distribution wire.

Power producer (heaviwatt) -> 1kW transfiormer -> Distribution wire...
... Distribution wire -> 1kW transformer -> battery + consumers

This is the point you need to consider your long-term power source (>5kW permanently) - coal/hatches are not sustainable without extra machinery (volcano taming).
On base-game, this would be petrol (in DLC you can divert to solar/nuclear at this point). Easiest is set up refineries and lots of dupe-work down in the oil biome, pipe petroleum up to the generator brick. If you have any volcanoes, then a lava powered petrol boiler is fantastic. If you are crazy, then I have a design for a lava powered ~8kW pre-space sour gas boiler.

The aim for this is to power the production of steel for space stuff to get you super-coolant and thermium as priorities. With these, your power costs on cooling go right down to negative - you can now recover a reasonable amount of energy just from cooling your base. You can also make a thermium aquatuner boiler (the aquatuner alone can get up to 500 degrees so that becomes your go-to high temperature heat source), and yeah, you're beating the game at this point.

E: Much of the mid-late game stuff is about making power-free alternatives to the power hungry dupe-machines. Taming metal volcanoes saves the refining power, and should be power-positive, but intermittent. You need silly stuff like the metal volcano asteroid in Spaced Out for the setup above with 6 volcanoes in one steam room, but even that stops generating power occasionally. But it does provide tonnes and tonnes of refined metal for no cost, whereas before you had to have a dupe and all the machinery/power doing the same. Lava powered water boilers for water/oil/gas.
Then you get the late-game problems, such as sourcing materials like dirt and sand in industrial quantities again.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 10, 2022

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Xaiter posted:

In theory, if you can convert all of a Petroleum Generator's waste output carbon into petroleum via Molten Slicksters, the waste pwater into water and then into oil and then refine that, burn the NG output from the oil and reclaim the Pwater from that for MORE oil... It actually ends up being slightly water positive and self-sustaining. Problem is Molten Slickers suck. Getting a sustainable input volume : consumption rate ratio is just drat near impossible. They either eat too much and depressurize the room and risk starving if groomed, or don't eat enough and the room pressure maxes out and now you've got to vent excess carbon. So I wouldn't count on making it a perfectly self-sustaining system, the margins are just too drat thin, I think.

I like putting in a Slickster ranch that consumes less than the CO2 produced with some automation to send the rest of the gas into space and suck up excess liquids. Yes, this is technically the worst of all worlds with a massive pipeline, more energy requirements and extra dupe labor, but I can't resist the free meat even well after my excess calories hit the hundreds of thousands. I also build recreational buildings as soon as I can power them and like having a Longhair Slickster running around my base so maybe I'm just crazy like that.

On another note, I'm thinking of taking the game for another spin with a weird, but probably not terribly hard, challenge. I want to have a colony of space hippies living in more-or-less harmony with nature, with a minimum of technology. Lots of ranching, lots of farming, all sorts of that communing with nature poo poo. This would be the base game, because I don't have Spaced Out and lack the money/motivation to buy it at the moment:

Space Hippie Challenge
-Must only use power generators allowed by Super Sustainable, even after achieving Super Sustainable
-Can only use critters to produce things that can be reasonably produced by those critters. This means no plastic presses (Glossy Dreckos), no metal refineries (Smooth Hatches), no Water Sieve (lmao this is the real challenge, actually ranching Gulp Fish), no Skimmers (Slicksters), no Oxylite Refinery (Dense Pufts :shepface:). Am I forgetting anything relevant?
-No animal cruelty! This means no starvation ranching or evolution chamber, to make the above actually meaningful. Excess eggs can be euthanized (we're Space Hippies not Space Catholics) or the excess critters are moved to some sort of nature preserve (need Pips for this)
-Vegetarian diet. Meat can be fed to animals, but not dupes (This allows eating eggs, which may be too easy, so perhaps we are actually Space Catholics and this becomes vegan diet?)

Potential Additions I'm Not Sold On:
-Even more limited industrial machinery. Only allow industrial stuff classified under Ventilation, Plumbing, Transportation, Stations, sustainable power producers/transformers and Algae Distillers (to turn slime into algae for Oxygen Diffusers). The big loss here is Electrolyzers and to a lesser extent Hydrogen Generators (since those could be powered in an energy-positive fashion by Electrolyzers). Not sure if I hate myself enough to do this
-No Glass Forge. I am not going through the effort of trying to make glass from sand and a volcano. I'm not sure how I'd even get the necessary extra heat without a Metal Refinery. This addition could simply read "no Solar Panels," which seems against the spirit of the challenge; but arguably so is using the Glass Forge in the first place

Any thoughts/additions?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You might need refinery for steel. Dont know how you would replace that, unless there's no plan for space.
You'll be wanting lots of pips, so maybe aim to transition to 100% wild food. You'll need a good polluted water source to get the p.oxygen for slime, but a straight p.water evaporator/deodoriser setup might work better, and provide lots of clay to make hand-made hippy ornaments to sell at craft markets. That will need a source of sand tho.

E: Evapourate pwater for p.oxygen, and just breathe that. No sinks or showers. Natural defnces man. Flatulant only dupes too, so you can go the whole way for vegan smelly hippies that don't wash.

E2: Crazy religion where every fifth day they have to eat fish or starve.

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 10, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

Why starve when the Filet-O-Fish is 2 for $5?

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

OzyMandrill posted:

You'll need a good polluted water source to get the p.oxygen for slime, but a straight p.water evaporator/deodoriser setup might work better, and provide lots of clay to make hand-made hippy ornaments to sell at craft markets. That will need a source of sand tho.

FINALLY a good use for regolith.

EDIT: oops fell asleep last night, forgot to post save. I want to share my trainwreck before I start a new one.

the space citadel, I guess it could have been worse.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 11, 2022

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

OzyMandrill posted:

You might need refinery for steel. Dont know how you would replace that, unless there's no plan for space.
You'll be wanting lots of pips, so maybe aim to transition to 100% wild food. You'll need a good polluted water source to get the p.oxygen for slime, but a straight p.water evaporator/deodoriser setup might work better, and provide lots of clay to make hand-made hippy ornaments to sell at craft markets. That will need a source of sand tho.

E: Evapourate pwater for p.oxygen, and just breathe that. No sinks or showers. Natural defnces man. Flatulant only dupes too, so you can go the whole way for vegan smelly hippies that don't wash.

:hmmyes:

I've been thinking it over some more and I'm cool with Refineries for steel only (hippies, not anprims), Rock Crushers for lime only and Glass Forges in general (for pipes and bongs and coincidentally solar power).

I think I can go for no Electrolyzers if I find a seed with a lot of polluted slush geysers and at least one hydrogen vent so I'm not stuck running manual generators forever. Gonna need lots of Deoderizers, but no Rock Crushers for sand, just lime. Gonna need a source of polluted dirt or rot to feed to Pokeshells instead. Maybe all the excess meat I'll be producing plus pacu leavings?

I am not hiring flatulant dupes because I hate those guys but no showers is definitely go and no sinks is appropriate and intriguing - just gonna need a literal ton of Dr. Meep's All-Natural Curative Tablets. Also going to abuse Buddy Buds to get around all the airborne Slimelung I'm going to be throwing around, which seems fitting.

Fish idea is amazing but I don't think there's a good way to manage diets on a schedule without manual fiddling?

Still need to refine this idea some more but it certainly will be a playthrough.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I've been getting the itch to play this again. I haven't played since just before release. How is the game now? Is it in a good state? I saw that they split up the "single large asteroid" into "multiple small asteroids" which I wasn't really a fan of. Is that still around?

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Travic posted:

I've been getting the itch to play this again. I haven't played since just before release. How is the game now? Is it in a good state? I saw that they split up the "single large asteroid" into "multiple small asteroids" which I wasn't really a fan of. Is that still around?

That's only in the Spaced Out! DLC. I've been meaning to grab it but I still haven't done the temporal tear in the base game.

Base game is still receiving updates as Spaced Out! gets polish. Example, SO! added Oxygen Masks as an entry tech that's essentially Exos without environmental resistance. Just an air tank. They were backported to the base game because holy poo poo what a great idea!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Base game has all bugfixes and perf improvements of DLC as it's just a soft unlock of the content now.
If you've completed the temporal tear in the base game (or even bounced off the rocketry/space stuff before the end but have mastered the rest), then I would recommend the DLC. It really opens up the late game and rocketry with enough depth to make it almost a complete second half of the game now. To get space materials you pretty much have to run a little expeditions to some far off planets, so it's a bit more challenging, but the whole multi-asteroid thing I think works great. It adds a bunch more challenge in limiting materials for starts, but there are so many options, including having the spaced out endgame with the normal game large asteroid start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Yeah I bounced off the rocketry, but it wasn't fleshed out when I stepped away. I think it had just been implemented. I don't think there was a temporal tear then. I still loved the game, I just didn't want to get burnt out before release then other games came along and I forgot about it. Whoops.