Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Also, I like the concept of what you're saying, but I don't think I get it. Are you saying the upcoming new UC movie is basing the Zaku design on one of the off-model sequences, because I don't actually see a difference in the build of that Zaku to the normal one.

Look at it's snout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Also, I like the concept of what you're saying, but I don't think I get it. Are you saying the upcoming new UC movie is basing the Zaku design on one of the off-model sequences, because I don't actually see a difference in the build of that Zaku to the normal one.

Looks like it is, yeah. It's a little slimmer, the nose is longer, that kind of thing. It invokes the image of Doan's Zaku without going so far as to be obviously goofy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The only part of 00s2 that I thought was just straight up no contest bad was the insane GN kamikaze robots that Ribbons had at the end. That was just too far off into the crazy zone for me.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ribbons realized that Bring Stabbity was only good at dying, so he made a suit suited towards his abilities

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ethiser posted:

The only part of 00s2 that I thought was just straight up no contest bad was the insane GN kamikaze robots that Ribbons had at the end. That was just too far off into the crazy zone for me.

They would've easily won if they even had simple rear end beam vulcans built into them but Ribbons is a moron.

Louise is completely fine in Season 1 for the purpose her and Saji's subplot serves and they shouldn't have been in Season 2

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you mean by this?

So Gundam as originally created has a few different themes, but the two main ones to focus on are communication and the subversion of symbols and causes.

With the original gundam we see the lack of communication communicated to us diegetically. The colonies are Closed O'Neill cylinders, isolated from each other, Minovsky Interference cuts off communication to each other on the field, Char's mask hides his intentions even from his friend Garma. The series shows that Humans desire to communicate is one of it's quintessential characters, to such an extent that Humans evolve to empathize and talk with their fellow humans even over the vastness of space. In the Tominian conception of the future of humanity the "Correct" path would be for these New, Young people to guide the masses out into the void away from their mother, Earth. In 00 we see the world in a fragmented state, slightly more together than our own, but still cut into power blocs, with the IRA active still, and the middle east still torn apart. Aeolia saw that this future would come to pass and that we would need to move past it, just like Tomino. However being as he's inside the story he set out to make his vision manifest. When we first see the Blocs fighting the CB they get bodied over and over, it's not until they start cooperating that they really start to make a dent in them, and when they fully unify, and gain the Technology to transcend humans current limits on communication , the GN drive, sidenote the metaphorical meaning of the GN drives is hilariously unsubtle, the true ones created by humans pushing the boundaries of our world into space allow one to communicate the contents of your heart into the aether even to creatures inhuman, the "False" Tau drives that are made by those attempting to limit humanity gives you cancer lol. Anyway this is where the poo poo goes off the rails, the earth is unified against CB and is ready to transcend to the next stage, except in his rush to get humans ready for the dialogues to come he attempted to do a little Hari Seldon and rig the game to get things popping earlier. Creating the Innovades, and VEDA. What this should have accomplished, by having these Pseudo newtypes, and an unimaginably powerful computer he thought he could guide the Humans themselves to the next level, to prepare us to leave our mother earth and meet the other occupants of this Universe. But speeding up this process perverted in some way the natural course of events. Like Cybernewtypes being a perversion of Newtypes and the concept itself being horrific and wrong, while the character itself could still be good, the Innovades became perverted in the same way. And we see how it happened.

And to get to that point we need to talk about the other theme, the use of symbols. Symbols stand for a cause or idea. The Zeon insignia get roped into all manner of ideas about contolism and zabisim. In it's use we can see how one symbol can transform itself between different modes, and stand for different things to different people. One man might see the Zeon symbol as an oppressive force that caused him harm, one might see it as a message of freedom from the government of earth, one might see it as a symbol of transcendental liberation into the next stage of existence. Even the Gundam stands as a symbol, Victory's opening asks us to "Stand up to the Victory" to stand up to the Gundam or The Concept of Victory? The answer is yes, for the gundam has been impregnated with the concept of victory. The meaning must be inscribed onto the object. Or as Severian would say

quote:

“We believe that we invent symbols. The truth is that they invent us; we are their creatures, shaped by their hard, defining edges. When soldiers take their oath they are given a coin, an asimi stamped with the profile of the Autarch. Their acceptance of that coin is their acceptance of the special duties and burdens of military life—they are soldiers from that moment, though they may know nothing of the management of arms. I did not know that then, but it is a profound mistake to believe that we must know of such things to be influenced by them, and in fact to believe so is to believe in the most debased and superstitious kind of magic. The would-be sorcerer alone has faith in the efficacy of pure knowledge; rational people know that things act of themselves or not at all.”

When we see how Setsuna became Setsuna we see him killing his mother, just as the oldtypes are killing their mother earth, led astray by an adult abusing his naivety. When he finally hits the battlefield and understands the reality of battle he breaks and renounces his belief in God. For someone so young they have an intrinsic hope that things will get better, but seeing all the people dying rips the veil of naivety off and forces him to confront the Adult realities of war and suffering. But then the Gundam descends and ends all the fighting, to someone who renounced god upon seeing the fighting, seeing a being descend from the sky and end it all, That's God to that kid. What people miss is that Ribbons was piloting that Gundam. Setsuna ascribes the role of God unto the Gundam and it's pilot, and Ribbons understands, if people ascribe that role to him, then he is a god. Thus instead of being a Moses figure to lead the way for the humans, he takes the reverence of them as proof of his godhood. Thus in that moment he becomes God, to himself and Setsuna. But the peace he brought was forced, gained through violence. Ribbons perverts the intended meaning of Aeolia's plan, and twists it to his own ends. The Humans are united, but the media is censored, and communication cut off. Resistance is ruthlessly hunted down,and false flags are used to keep the earth in a constant state of suspension. Humanity will be united, but it will never fulfill it's goal, the Innovades will remain on top ruling us as gods. We will not leave our mother earth and grow older as a species in the stars. It's not until Setsuna grows enough as a person, and embraces the qualities of Empathy, Compassion, and Communication that he is in a very Nietzchean sense able to kill his God and become his own. It's only then that we as a whole can unite and fully embrace our destinies, of course it all comes a bit earlier then intended and our lack of ability to communicate extraternally with the fully united and communicative ELS almost ends with us failing as a species. Luckily Setsuna has been able to kill the false gods of the oldtypes and becomes an interlocutor wo guide us even further.

In short, 00 is in communication with the same ideas of communication, empathy, symbolism, and transhumanism that the original UC. An easy way to see the connection is to look at the work, and then ask yourself what the work itself thinks is the future of humanity. With Tominian UC it's easy. Humans need to learn to stop fighting, communicate and empathize with each other, and leave their cradle behind despite their draw to it. With X,Wing, or SEED it's impossible to come up with that line. They all deal with a few of the aspects, all of them think fighting is badtimes, and Wing flirts with the idea of people coming together, but it offers no path forward, it ends at the innovade stage. Humanity in stasis. G get's closest which is very fair, the show is far more similar to UC then most gundams that on an aesthetic level are UC based. With 00 though you get almost the same answer, the idea of dialogues to come throws a theoretical wrench into the end goal, but it's a logical extension of humanity gaining a better form of communication. So 00 Matches the theming of Tominian gundam on a level that others simply cannot get to because they offer no transcendental goal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty sue everybody was upset about what it did with the females, particularly Soma, Louise, Nena and Marina. Mr. Bushido was not a very popular evolution of Graham either to my memory.

Nena was a selfish poo poo in the first season, so I can't see what is objectionable with her character in the second and frankly I'd think that Wang Liu Mei's character was treated far more egregiously of the secondary female cast. She was mostly a mysterious character in the first season, but that mystery being revealed as "I hated being handed the responsibility of heading my family because my older brother is too passive, so I joined a revolutionary organization looking to overthrow the entire world order". Which wasn't even going to change her family circumstances at all. It just seemed bizarre more than anything else.

Kanos posted:

As for why it's okay, it has a coherent plotline and some cool fight sequences. It's a lot more paint by numbers "the good guys have to beat the comically evil bad guys" than S1, but it executes on the simplified concept fairly decently. Ribbons and Ali are great scenery-chewing villains and the other Innovades are the right level of smugly self superior that seeing them get trashed is entertaining. It has some pretty good iconic setpieces, like the orbital elevator collapse battle and the attack on Memento Mori.

In a franchise that has shows like Destiny, IGLOO, and AGE, 00 S2 doesn't even really register on the "holy poo poo this is dire" spectrum. It's like a 6/10 show.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of 00's second season, but my personal view is that while I really enjoy season one for being both interesting at entertaining, that season two at least has some really entertaining setpiece fights and bombast to make up for it. The Allelujah rescue, Memento Mori, orbital elevator fall and finale being stand out fights. Plus, I actually enjoy Lockon Mk II; at least, to some degree. I don't like that he's literally physically identical to his brother, but I do like that his storyline centered around "everyone just sees my brother in me and I want to be my own person". It makes an interesting arc, that I don't think would have lost anything if he just looked similar instead of identical.

Gaius Marius posted:

With the original gundam we see the lack of communication communicated to us diegetically. The colonies are Closed O'Neill cylinders, isolated from each other

This isn't really true, because Dozle is able to communicate with Char just fine, calling him at Side 7 from either Solomon (by the remains of Sides 1 and 4), or more likely, in Side 3 itself. The bigger problem though is that (a) most of the colonies no longer exist to communicate and (b) what colonies do remain don't try or fail to communicate with each other during the show because they're not actually a major part of the original show at all. Sides 3 and 6 are the only ones that really exist anymore (Side 7 only has one colony with a tiny population of a few thousand, and is abandoned so far as we know after the second episode; or at least never given any further import). And Side 3 is the antagonist Side, while Side 6 is independent of, and neutral to both. At least within the original show, since that's what we're talking about here.

We can assume there is some communication between the colonies or Sides that do remain, but there's basically none of it in the show as is and there is no reason to assume that communication is difficult or even artificially limited by decree going off what evidence the show does present.

Gaius Marius posted:

In the Tominian conception of the future of humanity the "Correct" path would be for these New, Young people to guide the masses out into the void away from their mother, Earth.

It's pretty central to Tomino's conception of the future of humanity that humanity being human won't actually change that much though, and that evolutions of humanity will still retain enough humanity to fall towards the most basic of human foibles rather than embracing some inner change that transcends humanity and becomes unequivocally good. There is a large streak of cynicism running through his shows, even the more comic and hopeful ones. The ending of ZZ Gundam has Judau lose faith in the Federation despite never losing faith in Haman's ability to change, the ending of Char's Counterattack has multiple people watching the closest thing UC has had to a miracle and just thinking it's a pretty light because they have no context for what it means, the ending of Turn A Gundam has Guin going off to try becoming a leader again elsewhere, seemingly having learned little to nothing from teaming up with Gym, and so on.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 9, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

So Gundam as originally created has a few different themes, but the two main ones to focus on are communication and the subversion of symbols and causes.

With the original gundam we see the lack of communication communicated to us diegetically. The colonies are Closed O'Neill cylinders, isolated from each other, Minovsky Interference cuts off communication to each other on the field, Char's mask hides his intentions even from his friend Garma.

To start by being pedantic, (I apologize right now) most UC colonies are open type. It's only Zeon that's closed type. That obligation fulfilled, and with my 00 experience being limited to the beginning, the ending, and the game adaptations (which presumably loses a lot of the nuance), limiting how much insight I can have... that's an interesting position.

And I don't mean that in the "interesting being a polite way to say insane" way either. I mean it's an argument that's making me think about the show in a way I didn't previously. The notion of transcendence is something that the UC has, and that most non-UC shows lack. Most blatantly, you can compare Newtypes in the UC (the future of humanity, enabling something more than the old world, even when twisted towards monstrous ends) and Newtypes in X (Just weird mutants, with the show condemning placing any hope on them for the future). In that way, the messianic imagery of 00 is a natural callback that most earlier series missed. (You brought up G, but it's important to G's ending that Domon's big breakthrough isn't superheroic. He's just finally engaging with Rain on the same level that Rain tried to connect with him. It's communication, but in a much more ordinary way than Newtypes. Similarly, the ending focuses on human nature remaining the same at the core, if better directed)

However, that feels like an example of picking the matching themes and claiming it's the core of Gundam, rather than acknowledging that every series amplifies and tones down different aspects of the original in referencing it. And the symbols angle feels thinner. It's part of the original Gundam, but a much less major part than in a lot of its descendants.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I would say that if anything is the 'core' of Gundam, it's the eternal question of

WAR
HUH (good god y'all)
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR

rather than anything about communication. That may be present on a per-series basis, but we all know what the real core is.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

JUST WILD BEAT

COMMUNI-CA-TION

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gundam is a lot bigger then UC and Tomino and doesn’t need to slave itself to what he wants

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

one of the worlds many unfortunate truths

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RevolverDivider posted:

Gundam is a lot bigger then UC and Tomino and doesn’t need to slave itself to what he wants

It's not even what he wants anyway, especially now when he's personally done with the very concept of Gundam and directed his latest Gundam show, G-Reco, as if it were a "post-Gundam" show. It's not even what he wanted 30 years ago though, because he was mostly making the shows for a paycheck rather than because of any burning artistic passion, where he had a story that he absolutely had to tell. He wanted other people to make their own show with their own spin on things (any of the things) even in the early to mid 90s when Imagawa was working on G Gundam, or when Sumisawa was working on Gundam Wing. Gundam to him was just a brand Sunrise could wrap around a show to put more eyes on other people's stories and work.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll accept that 00 tries more than any other non-Tomino Gundam to engage with the core ideas of Gundam as Tomino envisioned them. It's not exactly subtle, Amuro Ray's voice actor was cast as Ribbons Almark for a reason. I don't think it was especially successful in this regard, but you can see it try.

Cleretic posted:

I would say that if anything is the 'core' of Gundam, it's the eternal question of

WAR
HUH (good god y'all)
WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR

rather than anything about communication. That may be present on a per-series basis, but we all know what the real core is.

This is terribly reductive.

A lot of Gundam's identity as a franchise is tied into the legacy of its oldest incarnations. In those works, communication is the root of the Newtype concept, the idea that makes Gundam distinct from the other anti-war mecha anime that followed in its wake. Tomino's UC is thus foundational for defining Gundam and, while it's true that not every work that came after might engage with all of the ideas it presents, its influence is undeniable.

However anybody might feel about that. Including him, for that matter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tsob posted:

It's not even what he wants anyway, especially now when he's personally done with the very concept of Gundam and directed his latest Gundam show, G-Reco, as if it were a "post-Gundam" show. It's not even what he wanted 30 years ago though, because he was mostly making the shows for a paycheck rather than because of any burning artistic passion, where he had a story that he absolutely had to tell. He wanted other people to make their own show with their own spin on things (any of the things) even in the early to mid 90s when Imagawa was working on G Gundam, or when Sumisawa was working on Gundam Wing. Gundam to him was just a brand Sunrise could wrap around a show to put more eyes on other people's stories and work.

Well he shoved some trippy poo poo into that brand and now everybody has to hold that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I gotta admit I've never really thought much on how subsequent Gundam series drop ideas of "transcendence." I just kinda figured this was because Tomino comes from an older school where psychic powers are totally natural and gonna happen if we just let them, dude. Dune type poo poo.

But I suppose if you wanna think about it more philosophically, maybe the lack of this is actually a sign of more hope and idealism in subsequent shows. I was recently reading Hannah Arendt's The Human Condition and in the prologue she bemoans some reactions to Sputnik where people were like "it's only a matter of time before we escape Earth." You could see Tomino Gundam in that vain - it's all about escaping Earth, rejecting the current state of humanity, and saying our true happiness or true understanding lies out there. Subsequent Gundams don't think peace lies in some hypothetical future where human life is fundamentally different from how it is now.

Like I mentioned earlier, been refelcting on Eva lately, and Anno and Tomino are on total opposite ends of Pessimism vs. Optimism, at least in their works that I've seen. I'm more inclined to Anno's position between the two as thre is no escape from the human condition and all its endless problems

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 9, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its a metaphor for communism.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm more inclined to Anno's position between the two as there is no escape from the human condition and all its endless problems

I'm pretty sure this is Tomino's position as well, going off how he depicts Newtypes in pretty much everything. Including 0079 itself, honestly. Char is a Newtype in 0079 too, if you'll recall. Tomino might hypothesize that transcendence is technically possible, but he also portrays it far more likely that people will just use that power for selfish purposes and that even the ones who don't are prone to human failings; Lalah felt herself indebted to Char for his help in the past, and overlooked his personality because of it as well as just failing to understand Amuro despite their Newtype connection. As Amuro had failed to understand her. At least until she just outright explains herself to him. All their transcendent connection gave them was a trust of each other, really and not any kind of understanding of each other. And even then, Lalah initially misattributes the connection, and thinks it's with Char since he's beside her.

Newtype connections are not, and never have been all that perfect in depiction and there are a lot of frankly vile Newtypes willing to abuse that power in Zeta and ZZ. Maria is the most prominent Newtype after that point, and she's just naïve, and falls victim to Fonse Kagatie's manipulations despite her power. Even Amuro, the first major Newtype protagonist and responsible for something akin to a miracle, was very human in his character rather than transcendent in any real way, and his viewpoint on it was "humans need to be allowed to change and grow on their own, and it'll probably take a long time". Which, it demonstrably does, because even thousands of years later in Turn A and G-Reco, humans are still human and Newtypes are rarer, if anything.

Ultimately, Newtypes never change anything in UC; even after causing a miracle. They're barely even notable on a grand, historical scale.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 9, 2022

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Newtypes don't proliferate because people's souls are still weighed down by gravity. People in UC keep hanging out on Earth, then they go over to Jupiter (tons of gravity!!) and that's why newtypes continue to be rare.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

tsob posted:

Ultimately, Newtypes never change anything in UC; even after causing a miracle. They're barely even notable on a grand, historical scale.

This is one thing I really like about Gundam X. It is very explicit that Newtypes aren't a way out of war for humanity, you can't just wait for the current people to be replaced by different people who will naturally be better.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Gripweed posted:

This is one thing I really like about Gundam X. It is very explicit that Newtypes aren't a way out of war for humanity, you can't just wait for the current people to be replaced by different people who will naturally be better.

It's not supposed to be "replacement". The point of Newtypes in the original Gundam was specifically that Newtypes aren't X-Men Mutants where you're born with eye lasers mind powers, you can just kind of become one over time if you're in the right environment. 0079 hints very strongly that most of the white base crew are awakening, it hints that goddamned ancient old man Revil is awakening, and Zeta has Jerid awaken over time to the point where the newtypes in the final battle are noticing him(before he dies). The Gundam X newtypes are X-Men mutants who are just born with incredible powers.

Early UC is also extremely clear that newtypes don't fix conflict, they simply provide an assist in that direction. Being naturally empathetic and able to communicate thoughts and emotions with other people doesn't mean that your principles and goals will always align, it simply helps you see each others' point of view. Scirocco used his newtype gifts of empathy and understanding to manipulate people into doing what he wanted. Haman was well aware of how Judau felt about her actions and understood his perspective completely, but she kept doing her evil space conqueror thing anyway.

I really don't like the commonly held idea that there's supposed to be some kind of newtype singularity where everyone combines their brain powers to end all conflict forever. The idea is supposed to be that when everyone can communicate their thoughts and feelings and emotions clearly and without falsehood, the risk of major conflict will drop heavily because it's hard for most people to want to hurt and kill people they can understand and empathize with and it's harder for assholes to trick people into killing each other if they can't lie about their intentions. It doesn't mean no one will ever have a dispute again, because humans will remain humans.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I really don't like the commonly held idea that there's supposed to be some kind of newtype singularity where everyone combines their brain powers to end all conflict forever. The idea is supposed to be that when everyone can communicate their thoughts and feelings and emotions clearly and without falsehood, the risk of major conflict will drop heavily because it's hard for most people to want to hurt and kill people they can understand and empathize with and it's harder for assholes to trick people into killing each other if they can't lie about their intentions. It doesn't mean no one will ever have a dispute again, because humans will remain humans.

Yeah, the final battle of Zeta had Newtypes on all sides, after all. Communication could reduce conflict, could help people understand each other, but even then, it sometimes just meant understanding how much they couldn't live under the same sun.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think this is why some people have an issue with the idea of UNDERSTANDING (All Caps) in later Gundam works, as being the end all be all of solving the problem. You can understand someone perfectly, but if they're an rear end in a top hat, you've still got to fight them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the Newtype idea is meant to be "the possibility for people to change and be better" more than Tomino looking at the camera and saying, "Mankind must migrate into space and become new psychic organisms." It's evocative, not prescriptive.

While I'm not fond of what I hear here of Gundam X, it even makes sense that the term begins to just be applied to people with psychic powers and so on. I think in the OG Gundam novels there's an aside that after Deikun said some poo poo about a "new type" of human, for a while "new type" just got applied to all kinds of weirdos and charlatans, and became a generic term for "psychic, special, unusual, etc." -- and it then got applied to the actual psychic-sensitive people they were able to find.

So in a sense, while all that poo poo we see is not not "the Newtype," it's not the be-all end-all.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
new trailer for Gundam Evolution from the PlayStation State of Play stream;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1fs6VcBFw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
The fact that the Turn-A is there is still my favorite part of this whole thing. Putting that one in your initial roster shows a pretty good mindset.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
its is my great pleasure to inform you that the renditions of Beyond The Time and Stand Up to the Victory from "Gundam Song Covers 3" are good

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have definitely spent time combining my love of RuPaul's Drag Race and Gubdam to try and figure out which Gundam OP and/or ED would be a great lip synch song.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

its is my great pleasure to inform you that the renditions of Beyond The Time and Stand Up to the Victory from "Gundam Song Covers 3" are good

I see your CDJapan box came in on the same plane mine did!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I have definitely spent time combining my love of RuPaul's Drag Race and Gubdam to try and figure out which Gundam OP and/or ED would be a great lip synch song.

Pretty much any of the songs that have gotten English covers through either Andrew WK's Gundam Rock or Ritchie Kotzen's Ai Senshi ZXR would probably work great for that purpose

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I ordered a Two Mixx album off some site when I was like 13 and after weeks and weeks and weeks the site had gone out of business and refunded the 40 bucks and never told us.

I used to download anime music from geocities angelfire and whatever the other one was, on 28.8, on these elaborate hand made pages that had to string dozens of accounts together to keep from disappearing in a snap. There would be one new MP3 a week, and the 'archive' was spotty to say the least.

I am 100 billions years old.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

I see your CDJapan box came in on the same plane mine did!
lmao hell yeah dude. love that exquisite cdjapan packaging

i even threw in the two-mix anniversary set with my pre-order to REALLY double down on gundam

the box is cool, too! i hope somebody rips the bluray with the music videos because i do not have one of those anymore!

Tulalip Tulips posted:

https://youtu.be/q50VYTPkasc

no contest. it’s a race for second place.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
ps which version of Beyond The Time do you prefer? also her version of Turn A Turn is better than the original. the only thing that chaps my
rear end is the possibility that Hiroko Moriguchi is out there somewhere singing “The Winner” and im not around to hear it

ritchie loving kotzen covered the winner for gently caress sake, and it was so bad that it gave Miki Matsubara cancer!

edit: how the gently caress am i the second person to mention ritchie kotzen’s cover of “the winner” on this page.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 10, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

ps which version of Beyond The Time do you prefer? also her version of Turn A Turn is better than the original. the only thing that chaps my
rear end is the possibility that Hiroko Moriguchi is out there somewhere singing “The Winner” and im not around to hear it

ritchie loving kotzen covered the winner for gently caress sake, and it was so bad that it gave Miki Matsubara cancer!

edit: how the gently caress am i the second person to mention ritchie kotzen’s cover of “the winner” on this page.

Yeah the box that holds all three albums is pretty sweet. I'll have to get back to you on which version of Beyond the Time I like more; I started listening to Hikaru Utada's album first when I opened the box. :cheers:

I can rip the Blu-Ray for you over the weekend, let me know if you don't find it somewhere else before Sunday and I'll let it cook while I'm doing my taxes

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

Yeah the box that holds all three albums is pretty sweet. I'll have to get back to you on which version of Beyond the Time I like more; I started listening to Hikaru Utada's album first when I opened the box. :cheers:

I can rip the Blu-Ray for you over the weekend, let me know if you don't find it somewhere else before Sunday and I'll let it cook while I'm doing my taxes
gently caress that is what i forgot to add to my “Quest to Get Middle-Aged Japanese Ladies Paid” Order

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TenementFunster posted:

Funny I actually like his cover of The Winner even if it is pretty different from the original version even beyond language differences

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I'm an original version of Beyond the Time preferer but I can't say no to an 80s song.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

gently caress that is what i forgot to add to my “Quest to Get Middle-Aged Japanese Ladies Paid” Order

Oh yeah get on that, the nice version has a bunch of postcards and notes in there that make it feel uncomfortably like a package you got from a friend.

Having listened to both of Moriguchi's covers and the original in a row I'm going to say I really like the cover with her and TM Network on the third album, but the sax on the original will always have a special place in my heart. If the sax had shown up on this new cover it would be the definitive version for me. The version on her first cover album was also really pretty!

Agreed on your assessment of her version of Turn A Turn.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Funny I actually like his cover of The Winner even if it is pretty different from the original version even beyond language differences

I also like his cover. It's not as good as the original but nothing is as the original is perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

This isn't really true, because Dozle is able to communicate with Char just fine, calling him at Side 7 from either Solomon (by the remains of Sides 1 and 4), or more likely, in Side 3 itself. The bigger problem though is that (a) most of the colonies no longer exist to communicate and (b) what colonies do remain don't try or fail to communicate with each other during the show because they're not actually a major part of the original show at all. Sides 3 and 6 are the only ones that really exist anymore (Side 7 only has one colony with a tiny population of a few thousand, and is abandoned so far as we know after the second episode; or at least never given any further import). And Side 3 is the antagonist Side, while Side 6 is independent of, and neutral to both. At least within the original show, since that's what we're talking about here.

We can assume there is some communication between the colonies or Sides that do remain, but there's basically none of it in the show as is and there is no reason to assume that communication is difficult or even artificially limited by decree going off what evidence the show does present.

It's a metaphor

tsob posted:

It's pretty central to Tomino's conception of the future of humanity that humanity being human won't actually change that much though, and that evolutions of humanity will still retain enough humanity to fall towards the most basic of human foibles rather than embracing some inner change that transcends humanity and becomes unequivocally good. There is a large streak of cynicism running through his shows, even the more comic and hopeful ones. The ending of ZZ Gundam has Judau lose faith in the Federation despite never losing faith in Haman's ability to change, the ending of Char's Counterattack has multiple people watching the closest thing UC has had to a miracle and just thinking it's a pretty light because they have no context for what it means, the ending of Turn A Gundam has Guin going off to try becoming a leader again elsewhere, seemingly having learned little to nothing from teaming up with Gym, and so on.
Humans being fallible does not preclude the possibility that they will succeed. Never in the series is the move to space ever shown to be a negative move. And we know that eventually the Colonies will move beyond the our galaxy, even if they still are falling into the same sins as modern humans.

chiasaur11 posted:

that's an interesting position.

And I don't mean that in the "interesting being a polite way to say insane"
Very unfortunate, being insane is one of the biggest compliments you can give someone.

chiasaur11 posted:

However, that feels like an example of picking the matching themes and claiming it's the core of Gundam, rather than acknowledging that every series amplifies and tones down different aspects of the original in referencing it. And the symbols angle feels thinner. It's part of the original Gundam, but a much less major part than in a lot of its descendants.
I think what sets these in particular is how the early Tomino canon keeps them as a tight throughline, and then in later Tominian works he comments on them. MSG through Vicky all obviously go into the Newtype phenomena and the whole communication angle, but then when Tomino looks back on his earlier works with Turn A we see him reflect on it. Let's look at the very opening of Turn A, we see Loran, Fran, and otherkid ready to return to their "Mother" earth, and what do they do, they literally sing a nursery rhyme. The Colonies might have moved on, or their people embraced the newtype of humanity, but for these people left behind stuck in childhood they still desire the embrace of their mother. Turn A as a whole can either be seen as a rejection of earlier Tominian thought, or in my view, a more nuanced take that rejects the pure pedastalized nature of earth as a mother figure and instead treats the desire to return to it in a more healthy co operative way. We also see in Turn A that the Humans still have a longing for discovery and communication. While Newtypes might have left this world, that desire remains strong enough that people like Guin cast their radio waves into the Aether hoping to connect through the abyss of space.

I'll get to the symbols and Nikk later I gotta do some poo poo

tsob posted:

A lot of our discussions on this end up missing eachother because of this. You're grand historical scale is thousands of years, mine is hundreds of thousands to millions