Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

silvergoose posted:

god that series sucks

I'm just glad I got to use a reference like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Tuna-Fish posted:

No. In principle, only contract soldiers are supposed to be deployable. Of course, there are tons of reports of conscripts being literally ordered to sit in a room and not given food or water until they sign contracts, but hey...

Interestingly, the reports of troops who were only conscripted in last November being forced to fight in Ukraine is probably not because of Putin's callousness, but because of relatively low-level officers being corrupt. Contract soldiers are supposed to be paid wages. Those wages go through the battallion leaders, who are supposed to maintain (for example) 3 companies worth of men on contracts. However, whenever they are called to military excercises, only one company is called out of each btn. So, what the battallion leaders do is only maintain one company worth of contract troops, and pocket the difference. Then when there was suddenly a war on, no-one warned the officers early enough, and suddenly all three companies needed to be deployed and they were in a position where they have to admit to Putin that his army is half air. So instead, they just pressganged some poor bastard conscripts into signing contracts.

The US (and everyone who tried to have an “authentic” puppet state military) has had the same issue with ghost soldiers with almost every imperial war. Corrupt junior officers in the ANA or ARVN if they’re not just stealing wages directly will have rosters of imaginary soldiers.

Sounds like Russia managed to do that with their own army rather than a imperial client state one lol.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Naked Bear posted:

It's all over, folks.

There is a nonzero chance rhe gopniks will rise up and overthrow the Russian government.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

The US (and everyone who tried to have an “authentic” puppet state military) has had the same issue with ghost soldiers with almost every imperial war. Corrupt junior officers in the ANA or ARVN if they’re not just stealing wages directly will have rosters of imaginary soldiers.

Sounds like Russia managed to do that with their own army rather than a imperial client state one lol.

Brings new meaning to "ghost division".

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm just glad I got to use a reference like that

I wish I didn't get it :negative:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I'm thankful i only get it from the wonderful lets read of the series on these very forums. The author died of covid HA!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

silvergoose posted:

god that series sucks

At least there won't be any further books.

psydude posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/09/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/#link-OERDCESV6NBGFIL5AB53MB372U

I'm wondering what's actually prompting this. Maybe the coffins are starting to arrive, and the families receiving calls from their captured conscripts are starting to complain to the point where they can't deny it?

Seems like he's setting himself up for an offramp by scapegoating someone for "illegally expanding the special operation" beyond its intended purpose.

Some of the news is surely leaking out by way of Russians illegally using Western news sources and some comes out through the Ukrainians contacting the mothers of some captured soldiers. But there's also the fact that parents the parents of the conscripts get antsy when there's no news of their sons at all. What excuse are the commanders giving for not telling the parents where their children are, they're on a maneuver in Belarus? I guess many parents won't buy that excuse now. And if the Russians are taking anywhere close to even conservative estimates in losses, at some points it will inevitably come out that conscripts have taken part in the war. So that fact probably filtered up the chain of command, and the Russian government is now laying the groundwork to prepare the populace for the fact that conscripts have indeed been sent into the war.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I still can't believe the Ukrainians invaded Russia and murdered conscripts then took the bodies back over the border

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Herstory Begins Now posted:

this is old: It appears to be some ancient, colorized footage of the three stooges conducting an over-the-top cliched chicken heist

That’s like how some analysts think a North Korean invasion would stall upon entering a city as soldiers stop to eat food out of dumpsters. That was an issue late in WWI when a German advance lost momentum as they were so hungry they would halt to eat seized rations and that gave the Allies a lot of breathing room.

Regarding Lion led by donkeys agreed that is a good show. Their iran-Iraq war series had the insane part of his Iranian troops kept sneaking through a marsh and the Iraqi solution was to electrify the swamp late at night and it was super effective.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Senior officers, too! My job during my 1st deployment was to basically drive to every police station in Afg and count the ANP. It was a waste of time, corruption is very easy to hide when there is only a token effort to find it. If Russia has ghost soldiers on the books then that's a really, really bad look on a modern military and a sign of deeper fundamental issues. :lmao:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

No. In principle, only contract soldiers are supposed to be deployable. Of course, there are tons of reports of conscripts being literally ordered to sit in a room and not given food or water until they sign contracts, but hey...

Interestingly, the reports of troops who were only conscripted in last November being forced to fight in Ukraine is probably not because of Putin's callousness, but because of relatively low-level officers being corrupt. Contract soldiers are supposed to be paid wages. Those wages go through the battallion leaders, who are supposed to maintain (for example) 3 companies worth of men on contracts. However, whenever they are called to military excercises, only one company is called out of each btn. So, what the battallion leaders do is only maintain one company worth of contract troops, and pocket the difference. Then when there was suddenly a war on, no-one warned the officers early enough, and suddenly all three companies needed to be deployed and they were in a position where they have to admit to Putin that his army is half air. So instead, they just pressganged some poor bastard conscripts into signing contracts.

Do you have a source on this? Specifically that the battalion commander acts as the paymaster as opposed to a centralized admin system?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

bees everywhere posted:

Senior officers, too! My job during my 1st deployment was to basically drive to every police station in Afg and count the ANP. It was a waste of time, corruption is very easy to hide when there is only a token effort to find it. If Russia has ghost soldiers on the books then that's a really, really bad look on a modern military and a sign of deeper fundamental issues. :lmao:

Yeah if it’s real I’m surprised the Russian military personnel system didn’t have some way to prevent it but I’ve continued to be amazed at what I thought was the second most powerful land military in the world has gotten up to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PookBear posted:

Do you have a source on this? Specifically that the battalion commander acts as the paymaster as opposed to a centralized admin system?

I'm guessing a lot of them are still paid in cash (apparently this was still a thing in the US army as well until some point in the 90s and everyone got off early on payday to go spend it on hookers and booze). And even if they aren't, it's probably not hard for the command staff in a unit to falsify the details of a bunch of soldiers.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It's where "Payday Activities" gets its name, even though everyone is paid via Direct Deposit.

The early release was nice, but uniform inspections sucked.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
So these past few days there has been rumours and videos ostensibly showing Russian equipment and reinforcements moving towards Ukraine, plus reports that chechens, Rosgvardia and Wagner mercenaries are to support the assault on Kyiv and how this might tip the balance in Russias favour. However I haven't seen much about the Ukrainian efforts, apart from that mobilzation only commenced once the invasion was already under way. Prior to that I seem to remember reading about how much of the Ukrainian male population either completed a period of national service or even served on the front lines in Luhansk and Donbas. My thinking is that the Ukrainian reinforcements are more, well that, rather than sticking a rifle in every available dudes hand and hoping for the best and that the reporting tells a story of the latter instead of 8 years of planning and preparation now being put in to action. Is there any truth to this and can anyone point me towards either articles, twitter threads etc? Thanks.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah if it’s real I’m surprised the Russian military personnel system didn’t have some way to prevent it but I’ve continued to be amazed at what I thought was the second most powerful land military in the world has gotten up to.

My personal hunch is that a lot of these issues are stemming from their lack of quality NCOs. They technically do have NCOs, but they're not the same kind of empowered leaders like in Western militaries. They don't have that culture of obsession over upholding the standards and mentoring young officers, there's no giant scary person yelling at you to choose the hard right over the easy wrong, no grizzled 1st sergeant making sure the troops are fed and calling the commander out when they're about to do something stupid. If you put a dipshit 2LT in charge of a platoon of competent professionals then you might end up with a competent 1LT in a couple years, but if you put a dipshit 2LT into a platoon of Gomer Pyles then he's going to be an even bigger dipshit in a few years, the Don of the E-4 Mafia.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
You guys sure have a lot more interesting insights than the D&D thread.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Cimber posted:

You guys sure have a lot more interesting insights than the D&D thread.
If you hit your head on the roof of armored vehicles enough times, military stuff begins to make sense (in a perverse sort of way).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Getting shot at clarifies what's really important, I've found.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

There's some stars you can only see from a hole you've dug for yourself to poo poo in

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just heard on the radio there were now 18 separate strikes on medical facilities - anyone know if this is all on the same hospital or are they actively going after ALL health care now?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

bees everywhere posted:

My personal hunch is that a lot of these issues are stemming from their lack of quality NCOs. They technically do have NCOs, but they're not the same kind of empowered leaders like in Western militaries. They don't have that culture of obsession over upholding the standards and mentoring young officers, there's no giant scary person yelling at you to choose the hard right over the easy wrong, no grizzled 1st sergeant making sure the troops are fed and calling the commander out when they're about to do something stupid. If you put a dipshit 2LT in charge of a platoon of competent professionals then you might end up with a competent 1LT in a couple years, but if you put a dipshit 2LT into a platoon of Gomer Pyles then he's going to be an even bigger dipshit in a few years, the Don of the E-4 Mafia.

A lot of the nco function would be a part of a officers responsibilities.
Russian officers are supposed to be more hands on, and also are supposed to be in command longer.
A Russian battalion commander would have command for 8 years, as opposed to western army's where a command tour is 2 years.

But a lot of there issues stem from corruption and grift straight up.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

or are they actively going after ALL health care now?

No wonder Republicans are such big fans of Putin.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I just heard on the radio there were now 18 separate strikes on medical facilities - anyone know if this is all on the same hospital or are they actively going after ALL health care now?

Not sure but they definitely just bombed the poo poo out of Mariupol Children's Hospital

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Russia definitely intentionally targeted medical facilities in Syria so I expect theyre following suit here

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

psydude posted:

No wonder Republicans are such big fans of Putin.

:vince:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Sadly, we've been here before. Doctors Without Borders stopped reporting their locations to the UN because Russia would use their no-strike list as a targeting package.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

It sure is interesting how....fascist Putin is. Its almost like it was projection when he sponsored and helped all those Alt-Right guys.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

none of the core problems are things that could be solved with NCOs, this is an army that has an incompetent officer corps. This isn't bad small unit tactics, this is bad operation planning.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

none of the core problems are things that could be solved with NCOs, this is an army that has an incompetent officer corps. This isn't bad small unit tactics, this is bad operation planning.

Ummm

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1501677189917458447?s=20&t=nrbyOh2tqRNBFhiUs9c5CQ

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

what does that have to do with me saying the problems in this have been at the operations level, not the tactical level?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Bioweapons I would think are hopefully beyond insane even for Putin but chemical I'm honestly surprised they haven't already. Chemical weapons and going full Grozny has been my prediction for a while.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cool

Please don't.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

Bioweapons I would think are hopefully beyond insane even for Putin but chemical I'm honestly surprised they haven't already. Chemical weapons and going full Grozny has been my prediction for a while.

chemical weapons cost like $250 for the gas mask and mopp suit to deal with, as opposed to yards of concrete or a half-meter of composites for high explosives. biologics without cures or vaccines will kill your own troops and biologics with cures or vaccines are even cheaper to deal with

the chemical weapons treaties successfully stuck because theyre not good for anything. maybe we'll have anti-paratrooper treaties in a bit

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 9, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Guys, they learned from the Dubrovka Theater. It's just a harmless sedative.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1501653510915596310?t=cRMauUDLx4vc6pavlryekQ&s=19

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Cool

Please don't.

Sprinkle some around the hospitals they hit today. Fulfills claims that the Ukrainians are using chemical weapons, or plan to, were producing them at hospitals thus utilizing them in a military capacity and making them viable targets.

It works on so many levels

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm a firm no on bioweapons for no particular reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

psydude posted:

e: The incompetence of the VDV and Spetznas continues to surprise me. I guess all of that backflip axe throwing doesn't translate well to actual warfare. Seems like a lot of the regular Russian forces have had far more success than they have.

I assume there is a lot of bullshit macho "of course we can do this" sort of bollocks going on with them either in proposing or accepting tasks and the result is Wiley Coyote warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
oh tight seems the de-escalation ship not only sailed but got hit by a salvo and is sunk. gently caress