Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ilkhan posted:

Northern Iowa. Lots of snow/ice. The roads are generally acceptable once plowed, but where we are is... Uh, not at the top of the priority list due to the population number.

Dude I live in northern Illinois, almost Wisconsin, probably not that far away from you. You can totally drive a BRZ with winter tires and some care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

Videos are out too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czt4Nj20lY looks good for a giant SUV, but not my cup of tea.

:siren: The madmen are doing the RWD 6-cylinder powertrain :siren:

There's also going to be a plugin verison. If they make a new Mazda6 like that, it seems like it would be the perfect "normal" car. I hope you guys buy enough of these to make it worthwile for Mazda. I'll probably keep my 20 year old shitboxes anyway for now.

How does it go only 37 miles / 60km out of a 17.8kWh battery?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-gears-launch-halo-premium-125521409.html

GM is creating a new brand that will exclusively sell made in America cars, in China.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Charles posted:

How does it go only 37 miles / 60km out of a 17.8kWh battery?

The RAV4 Prime only gets 42 miles out of an 18.1kWh battery so that seems normal for PHEV range.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I love how Mazda got the message that piano black plastic, capacitive buttons and touchscreens loving suck.
Mazda & Genesis are at the top of my list for next car.

smooth jazz fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The RAV4 Prime only gets 42 miles out of an 18.1kWh battery so that seems normal for PHEV range.

Ah well fair enough I suppose.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

smooth jazz posted:

I love how Mazda got the message that piano black plastic, capacitive buttons and touchscreens loving suck.

gently caress I was so fixated on the normal shifter that I completely missed that they are keeping the big Commander dial/knob and physical buttons. gently caress yes!
And that does look so much better without all the piano black.
I really hope the CX70 looks better exterior wise, but yeah go ahead and copy that exact interior all day Mazda!

Part of my dislike has to do with the body colored fender trim. When it was grey plastic I thought I'd like it better if they painted it. But now on the Cx-60 and signature 2022 Cx-5 I really dislike it.
I think the Turbo Cx-5 trim for the 2022 is the sweet spot with the gloss black trim on the fenders. That pops.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Franco Caution posted:

Part of my dislike has to do with the body colored fender trim. When it was grey plastic I thought I'd like it better if they painted it. But now on the Cx-60 and signature 2022 Cx-5 I really dislike it.

Painted cladding will always make me think of the Captiva and that is definitely not a good thing.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

smooth jazz posted:

Oh yeah that interior is really nice.

I6 longitudinal engines, RWD, great interior. drat. Hope they make Mazda 6 wagon with this setup.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Neo_Crimson posted:

Dude I live in northern Illinois, almost Wisconsin, probably not that far away from you. You can totally drive a BRZ with winter tires and some care.

It's where I live and I drive a RWD 535 with all of the torques. I have winter tires for the winter and I've never had an issue. I was terrified at first, and now I drift around every corner I can (as long as other cars aren't around).

Also I learned to drive a manual on a 92 MR2. Went to the dude's house, paid, and then spent an hour or so driving around the neighborhood to practice. Drove it home 45 minutes away and only stalled it once!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I had a 350Z up in the north east for a good few years. Winter Tires = my only problem was ground clearance, not traction

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Clearance can definitely be an issue

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Clearance can definitely be an issue

Yeah, if like he said the roads don't get plowed often and there's a lot of snow and you can't work from home, you need something that can clear it.

That of course just means you need a lift and big tires on your toyobaru :v:

edit:

Sab669 posted:

Yea I had a 350Z up in the north east for a good few years. Winter Tires = my only problem was ground clearance, not traction

You just needed to do this!

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 9, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll just wait for Nissan to make that GripZ concept they announced years ago lol

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Isn't Porsche making a factory lifted 911 soon?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Car enthusiasts: Oh my god CUVs are just lifted wagons, they're the worst

Also car enthusiasts: Rally based coupes are so loving tight

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I'm not seeing the issue here

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

:yeah:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I'm going to throw out a couple of ideas for the automakers:

plaid cloth inner fender liners (or Gucci or whatever, go nuts)
three-row SUVs with three sets... of doors
or a third row that flips backwards into the hatch. Pick up your rugrat, put them in their car seat in the third row like an astronaut preparing for takeoff, then flip the seat into its normal orientation for driving.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sab669 posted:

I'll just wait for Nissan to make that GripZ concept they announced years ago lol

That's just an overdesigned Juke. Gross.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PBCrunch posted:

or a third row that flips backwards into the hatch. Pick up your rugrat, put them in their car seat in the third row like an astronaut preparing for takeoff, then flip the seat into its normal orientation for driving.

*Is an auto executive*

Got it, bigger touch screen.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, rally is my favorite form of racing. I just find it an interesting paradox.

I guess because lifted coupes are in fact rally inspired, but lifted hatchback CUVs are generally devoid of fun and happiness and for sad people who want to remain sad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong, rally is my favorite form of racing. I just find it an interesting paradox.

I guess because lifted coupes are in fact rally inspired, but lifted hatchback CUVs are generally devoid of fun and happiness and for sad people who want to remain sad.

Cool cars are cool because they aren't boring. Someone could theoretically make a boring lifted coupe just like someone could theoretically make a cool lifted wagon.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sab669 posted:

There's a lot of nice-to-drive crossovers now, including the Porsche Macan, Ford Mach E, arguably Mazda everything.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

This is what I want

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/01/07/kia-sedona-hi-limousine/#slide-2287868

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

There's a lot of nice-to-drive crossovers now, including the Porsche Macan, Ford Mach E, arguably Mazda everything.

I've not really paid attention to anything Mazda, but those are far out of reach for most people. While trying to figure out what to replace my FoRS with I briefly considered a Macan, but while I could afford to buy one I don't think I could reasonably afford to own one.

Actually, I am mildly interested in seeing what youtube says about the Kona N when that comes out. But I still couldn't see myself buying one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Kona N has been out for a while, I have driven one and it's pretty fun. I also like the looks a lot. The main issue I had is they wanted 5k over msrp and I felt like for having almost 280hp, it wasn't any faster than my GTI. Also the torque steer was worse, everything was a bit more raw feeling than the GTI.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Rusty posted:

The Kona N has been out for a while, I have driven one and it's pretty fun. I also like the looks a lot. The main issue I had is they wanted 5k over msrp and I felt like for having almost 280hp, it wasn't any faster than my GTI. Also the torque steer was worse, everything was a bit more raw feeling than the GTI.

Weird, not a single one of the youtube channels I enjoy has reviewed the car - but just generically searching for it, yea there's enough videos about it. Interesting.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

We get a bunch of Japanese import luxury people-movers (minivans) here and some of them have some pretty amazing interiors. The Toyota Vellfire/Alphard for example are basically a big metal box full of leather lay-z-boy recliners.

When my partner was looking for something to convert into a mountain bike holiday van that we could also sleep in we were looking at minivans because they're a lot cheaper than actual vans and nearly as big. We decided it was going to be way too much effort to rip out all of the luxury interior from the larger ones though (Vellfire, Elgrand etc.) and ended up with a Honda Stepwgn which btw is actually quite a nice vehicle for its intended purpose, despite being a CVT and insanely gutless.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sab669 posted:

Honestly the safari trend needs to die soon: it'll only encourage CUV makers more.

I learned to drive/drive stick on a 1996 2.0 Jetta, a car that I later learned was considered one of the worst possible cars to learn stick on due to it's relatively heavy weight, 115hp/122 ft-lb 2.0 engine, and clutch that went from 0-100% engaged in like, a centimeter of travel.

My dad screaming at me every time I stalled made it even worse. :sigh:

The first time I drove my friend's Civic was a revelation in comparison.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the go to in my area was the roughly 1990-1998 Subaru Loyale/GL/Impreza/Legacy and man those transmissions were dreadful. no feedback in the clutch at all, and just the most wildly vague shifter linkage in history.

even the ranger was better, and then of course the Nissan Maxima was like manna from heaven

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Rally cars aren't lifted wagons

Just need a ton of suspension travel

Sab669 posted:

I've not really paid attention to anything Mazda, but those are far out of reach for most people. While trying to figure out what to replace my FoRS with I briefly considered a Macan, but while I could afford to buy one I don't think I could reasonably afford to own one.

Actually, I am mildly interested in seeing what youtube says about the Kona N when that comes out. But I still couldn't see myself buying one.
Check out the Mazda CX-60 from the last page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_czt4Nj20lY

I havent' seen any Kona N reviews but all other N hatchbacks get very positive press

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 9, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Yeah, if like he said the roads don't get plowed often and there's a lot of snow and you can't work from home, you need something that can clear it.

edit:

I've been daydreaming about doing that to my increasingly rusty mazdaspeed for a couple years now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I feel like there's some sort of middle ground between an overly tall CUV/SUV and a sedan with 20" rims with rubber band tires and 4.5" of ground clearance.

And often times they put the drat wheels/tires on the former anyways, eliminating a lot of the advantage.

Seriously, can we just all go back to the sane era of 16 and 17" wheels?

That's one of the reasons why I loved my Bugeye WRX. 16" wheels with 55 profile tires so they can actually hit a pothole and 6.1" of ground clearance so I didn't have to worry about scraping or bottoming out.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

edit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=67zd8J5EvGI

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

They still exist, just not at the nicer trim levels.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I feel like there's some sort of middle ground between an overly tall CUV/SUV and a sedan with 20" rims with rubber band tires and 4.5" of ground clearance.

And often times they put the drat wheels/tires on the former anyways, eliminating a lot of the advantage.

That's one of the reasons why I loved my Bugeye WRX. 16" wheels with 55 profile tires so they can actually hit a pothole and 6.1" of ground clearance so I didn't have to worry about scraping or bottoming out.

This, exactly, is why I ended up with a CUV for a utility/road trip car.

Not only has the market of appealing sedans and wagons dwindled, they all have 5" or less of ground clearance on 20" rims which is increasingly untenable just on decaying urban American roads, much less things like forest roads and snow. I don't need real offroading capability, but I don't want to be scraping on driveways, losing my fillings on washboard dirt roads, or plowing in a few inches of snow.

For over a decade I DD'ed nothing but small RWD cars, and I love them for what they are, but they increasingly suck for regular practical driving. All the scrapes and scuffs under the front fascia and all over the underbody on my E46 are a testament to that. An extra inch of ride height and some fatter tires on smaller wheels would go a long way, but that's apparently anathema to the segment which I think is just accelerating its demise for all but the most diehard enthusiasts.

Plus the CUV takes all the abuses and wear and tear of daily life, and I can keep my nice RWD coupe as a second car just for the enjoyable drives.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
You all need to check out the loving Corolla hatchback in SE trim

-20k freedom bux out the door
-6mt
-5.1” clearance
-16” wheels
-not a cuv/suv
-analog gauges
-physical buttons
- p/w of na Miata so you can just rip it all the time
-Chassis is good/has good agility
-NA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

no lube so what posted:

You all need to check out the loving Corolla hatchback in SE trim

-20k freedom bux out the door

Ducks on autotrader really quick....

Here's one for $32k.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

bull3964 posted:

Ducks on autotrader really quick....

Here's one for $32k.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Lmbo, that’s stupid wild.

Find the local old scion dealer turned Toyota dealer and order one at msrp and hope there is a factory rebate going on the month it arrives :shrug: