Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Professor Funk posted:

This is the first mock I've seen in a while that has Neal to the Jets. I wonder if that's based on any Combine chatter or if it's just a "Joe Douglas likes his big bois" thing.
Isnt there concern that Beckton is a(n injury induced) bust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Sure, but George Fant was very good filling in for him at LT this year and early indications are that the team wants him extended with Becton moving to RT.

They desperately need a RG so the assumption is any high OL draft picks starts inside and then you potentially move them to tackle if Becton is just too large to heal properly and stay on the field.

Professor Funk posted:

It's weird how a few weeks ago I thought "maybe there's a 20% chance KT falls to 4" and now I think it is all but certain that he falls.

This is the first mock I've seen in a while that has Neal to the Jets. I wonder if that's based on any Combine chatter or if it's just a "Joe Douglas likes his big bois" thing.
You can take your laps on Jermaine Johnson too.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh totally, I get the logic for the pick. I was just under the impression that the Jets are very high on Ickey but not as high on Neal, so they might go KT/Sauce in that spot. I guess on second thought most mocks have had Neal going #1 overall, too, so my impression might just be based on that.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Proud to be in the JJ hive since day 1 (though I don't think I ever thought he would get as high as 10 overall!)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of getting the feeling that if there's going to be one of the pre-combine consensus day one guys available for the bengos at interior offensive line it's probably going to be Kenyon Green.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Professor Funk posted:

It's weird how a few weeks ago I thought "maybe there's a 20% chance KT falls to 4" and now I think it is all but certain that he falls.

Someone's gonna get a very good player, I don't believe the effort stuff at all really and I also don't really care what he chose not to do at the combine. He's an amazing player unless there's something I'm completely missing.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah he's going super high, and rightfully so. Production, testing, both through the roof. Just looks the part in every way.

Boye Mafe too is rising, although I think he's one step down from guys like Thibs and Johnson. Also appreciate his number, it's v nice

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Jaguars placed their franchise tag on LT Cam Robinson. I think Jawaan Taylor kinda sucks so maybe they still need the help even with Cam, but this could have implications on the #1.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I've often thought the lack of chatter about some guys high is as much a sign teams are pretty locked into a guy as anything else. Every year draftniks are like "we're not hearing much from teams about X" yeah... because they've known for a year now the dudes going to be a baller and they just see the work out and go "yep as expected".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Interesting mock post-combine with Travon Walker moving up to #3 and Thibs falling to #9.
https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1501198305216376835

Gotta be click bait. Travon Walker hype is well deserved but there's no way you'd want him over Thibodeaux in the current NFL. Maybe years ago a violent down hill power rusher would be sought after early but I think pass rushing is even more of a premium than before. I feel like teams might not care that much about his versatility when Thibodeaux is just so complete in getting to the QB. I see knocks saying Thibodeaux is raw but I just don't see it.

Walker also got swallowed up by Neal the two teams they faced each other (the sack he got was in garbage time with 30 seconds left). Lots of arm fighting and he moved him a couple times but it really wasn't a fair match up. Neal was just more sound at dealing with Walker's drives and pad pressure and straight bullied him in the run game. That's something he's going to undoubtedly run into at the next level a lot, especially if teams try to use him against some behemoths in the league right now. He just has to work on shedding and moving instead of trying to bully everyone. I have to stress that he's legitimately a top 15 prospect it's just that I don't know why you'd want that over Thibodeaux that early.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Not sure if it was mentioned but the NFL actually really hosed up the combine this year.

-Unofficial times were insanely off, to an extent I've never seen before. Not a huge deal but it's weird to miss by more than a tenth of a second, definitely points to hardware issues.

-One guy started his day with interviews at 6:00 AM (or at least woke up/was ready at that time) and finished his 3 cone at 11:30 PM. That is loving terrible.

-The entire RB class did not CHOOSE to skip the agility drills. They were not allowed to do it because they didn't finish everything else until midnight. So they just canceled it, although instead of saying that at first they claimed that all the guys just chose not to do it. That's the most obvious example but I think some other events for different groups were skipped in the same way.

They gotta change the format somehow, I've got a few ideas on how that could be done. But either way the above is insanely dumb and unprofessional and kind of insulting to the prospects even.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah and that's been happening off and on for a while now, just not this egregious with late drills.

The long days have always been a problem. They fly kids in on the redeye and then hit them early with interviews and measurement taking before making them wait around for a bit for drills to start. They say it mimics a NFL day but it really doesn't all the time. I understand the correlation between players playing for their career and players testing for their potential career but usually you'll have some sort of job security to not make gameday hectic. Drills don't have a ton of time between them by design. I have no way to prove it I just think there's got to be a reason why positional drills happen after all the measurable drills. They want to see players perform tired. Still sucks when millions are at stake for 20ish reps across a handful of drills.

If we're talking about bad data collection there's more nitpicky problems.

Players are allowed to stretch before measurements so all the hand sizes and wingspans are slightly off. Kids dehydrate to look better so weights are off. Then they hydrate real hard before drills and look sluggish. Unofficial times are for audiences and ad runners. All those official times are fine but it still is a psychological hit for prospects. I'm not going to say every prospect strides harder or holds up a bit if they think their times are slow/fast, but I'd be willing to bet more than a few do.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
While we're on the subject having the prospects basically strip seems really antiquated. I'm sure body fat percentages are part of the medical, do NFL front offices really need to see whether some five technique has a ten pack?

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
https://mobile.twitter.com/minakimes/status/1501290345455185922

Chaos! :sickos:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, hello draft thread. Guess I need to start paying attention to you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

not if the Panthers draft him at 6

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

no qb chat until some team adopts the Trubs :mad:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I wonder if the Seahawks go QB at all in round 1. They look like they're in teardown mode. Maybe they just look for a veteran stopgap while rebuilding talent elsewhere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Well, hello draft thread. Guess I need to start paying attention to you.

I have bad news.

See you next year.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1501576021908332547
I don't pay super close attention, but didn't Jordan Davis have an absolutely monster combine? I've seen people suggest he would jump up to top 15 or even top 10, but this has him barely moved

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
With a few rare exceptions (ie Donald) DTs just aren't that valuable compared to premium positions.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Combine drills don't test conditioning which is the big concern with him. Now watch him never leave the field after he gets drafted

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nosre posted:

I don't pay super close attention, but didn't Jordan Davis have an absolutely monster combine? I've seen people suggest he would jump up to top 15 or even top 10, but this has him barely moved

Tape and production are still king and there are questions on that front. I think that list has him around the right place.

If anyone is too low I think it's Jermaine Johnson. He is a top 15 player easily.

The positions that look to be coming off the board early are edge (as always), OT (as always) and CB. That is a list of the best prospects, so you can't really criticize it on those terms, but I think the QBs will end up getting drafted a lot earlier than most mock drafts have it. It's just too important a position and QBs very often get drafted well before they strictly should.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I like Davis. Wouldn't be disappointed with him selected at 14 for Baltimore. However, I'd greatly prefer Travis Jones in the 2nd round, were he available. Hard to say he will be after a stellar combine following a dominant senior bowl.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm pretty sure Jermaine Johnson II is more of a workout darling than an actual player. Guy is super hyper on the field and constantly around everything but not in a good way. You'll see him make a tackle on a scramble and it's because he pinballed into a LG before flipping over to an RG before shedding a block and suddenly being there. It's weird hero ball. He also doesn't extend his arms at all on pass rushing. I'm not sure if that's a negative but it's interesting to watch. He's pure pop you in the pads and wrestle before spinning off like a hyped up mountain dew kid. I'm pretty sure that's why he couldn't crack Georgia's lineup. They really expect you to maintain assignments and they already had a gap shooter in Tindall. He's just so belligerent in pass rushing that he becomes interesting even though none of it looks technically sound besides his engage/shed moves.

His build is also kind of slight for a three down rusher. Not a run stopper in the least bit. I know it doesn't matter as much anymore but I don't know if you can really line him up on the left on passing downs like FSU did. I guess it's up to NFL decision makers but I wouldn't think he could stand up NFL RTs with his moveset. I really think he's built for pass rushing just more in the vein of wide 9. Get him to pull an OT out wide and be in front of the QB's lane. That's what they did to shut down Miami.

You can't doubt his effort but I think he needs a lot of work and to land on a team that doesn't mind a slighter, lankier DE.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Nosre posted:

The people they're comparing are among the biggest idiots in draft punditry and don't even score high on the mock drafts that make up the main source of their income. I'm not sure when Brugler became so terrible but his analysis is beyond trash tier now to almost Kiper levels.

With that being said I think Davis was more confirming things at the combine than wowing people and being 20ish overall is about appropriate for someone who never produced on the field.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

I think Jordan Davis is real cool, he can be turned into a good football player no problem

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Watching the McShay Mock Draft Special right now and they have Thibodeaux dropping to the Seahawks at 9 and, uh :stare: did something happen with him? The dude is in the top 5 of every mock I’ve read.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I mean, mocking him to the Seahawks is basically predicting that he'll bust so there may be something going on there.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Watching the McShay Mock Draft Special right now and they have Thibodeaux dropping to the Seahawks at 9 and, uh :stare: did something happen with him? The dude is in the top 5 of every mock I’ve read.

It's clickbait season and there's some dumb rumor going around he's whiney because he said he was going to do all the combine drills and didn't.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

TheGreyGhost posted:

With a gun to my head, if I’m drafting for the average NFL team this year:

Corral
Pickett
Ridder
Strong
Willis
Howell

That said, I wouldn’t take anyone outside of the top 2 in the first personally. Everyone else is a partial project at minimum.

Okay but what if my you were drafting for a 70 year old coach who loves pounding the rock? Also, what qb looks best in ACTION GREEN?

Seattle needs a qb to hand that ball off.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's clickbait season and there's some dumb rumor going around he's whiney because he said he was going to do all the combine drills and didn't.

boy doesnt love ball. he let too many women steal too much of his precious bodily fluids. imo

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

was watching some film of these Georgia guys and I had to rewind this part a few times (timestamped)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icHYX857TXM&t=450s

I want to draft Nakobe Dean now because he can do that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

When it comes to linebackers I'm (stupidly) high on both Leo Chenal and Troy Andersen. Chenal put up a 40.5 inch vert at 250 pounds, 34 reps on bench. Really stocky, strong frame, maybe a little stiff but has good instincts against the run and blitzing. Really great contact balance.

Andersen is a smaller school guy, needs development but ran a 4.42 at 230 and that shows in his play speed as well. Racked up 150 tackles, 14 TFLs, 7 passes defensed and 2 INTs just this past year.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Leo Chenal looks like a meathead and I think also has a soul patch, which IMO will make him a good NFL linebacker

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Leo Chenal looks like a meathead and I think also has a soul patch, which IMO will make him a good NFL linebacker

This is the kind of hard-hitting prospect analysis that made this thread a primary resource for front offices around the league!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm watching these two videos for Troy Anderson because it's hard to find anything else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6A2T80bWGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_ycn4lHvBI

He absolutely looks like a strong side linebacker at the next level and might even be the most athletic guy on the field in the NDSU game despite how amazing some guys they get up there (see Christian Watson at the combine, also Pierre Strong Jr. in those highlights). Huge strides, not afraid to stick people. Looks like he gets turned around in coverage easily. That doesn't really make me think you'd want him in zone on passing downs. Still could easily shift over to the weakside and sit on routes or cover the flats. He's just so fast that you almost forgive it. Also looks like a legitimate gadget player for offense in some other highlight videos. Decent arm and can catch/run it.

I think he puts himself out of position a lot in coverage. He's got the athletic ability to easily recover but man he just bites on the wrong routes. There's a play where he lopes around onto a TE that he basically allowed to gain the zone in the first place by biting on a little look out to the left. Impressive athletically but it's still blown coverage. You can be as athletic as you want but if you're getting targeted in the NFL you're getting targeted in the NFL. I say stick him in the flats on obvious passing downs and don't really worry about it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was watching this review of last year's draft from the nfl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShNklP_q2M). Pretty interesting review, as far as you can after one year, of last year's draft that maybe has lessons for this one too.

Also happened to realize that the Bengals drafted yet another dude with the last name Sample. Where do they find these guys?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

Wait until you find out how many siblings he has

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Okay but what if my you were drafting for a 70 year old coach who loves pounding the rock? Also, what qb looks best in ACTION GREEN?

Seattle needs a qb to hand that ball off.

Honestly Ridder wouldn’t be the worst fit in Seattle, nor would Willis. Basically the only guy I think would be a lovely fit there is like Corral for lack of elite downfield velocity and Strong for lack of mobility.

I still think corral is the best QB in this class right now, but I think at least one of the other guys is going to pass him by mid year if the light comes on at all for one of the high ceiling guys.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Honestly Ridder wouldn’t be the worst fit in Seattle, nor would Willis. Basically the only guy I think would be a lovely fit there is like Corral for lack of elite downfield velocity and Strong for lack of mobility.

I still think corral is the best QB in this class right now, but I think at least one of the other guys is going to pass him by mid year if the light comes on at all for one of the high ceiling guys.

ah but have you considered

https://twitter.com/crissy_froyd/status/1501668436451151877

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

handsome jerry g