Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

That apple probably weighs like ten pounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I still want an explanation on how they got that bracelet on him in the first place

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

RatHat posted:

I still want an explanation on how they got that bracelet on him in the first place

A different mind-control bracelet.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The junk collector posted:

I think they're sapient just with a fundamentally different way of thinking than people so mutual understanding isn't really possible. It's the human like behaviors they adopt that are mimicry in large part because people love to humanize other things especially animals. Like, if you are dealing with a tiger, it's not fundamentally evil but if you treat it like as human you are going to be disappointed and probably eaten. So I like your point about a wild predator except the demons I believe are capable of thought, just not "human" thought.
They're supposed to be P-zombies.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ethiser posted:

They've said that any personalities or sapience demons show is just a mimicry adaptation to hunt humans better so maybe ethically enslaving a demon is just like if you had captured a wild predator to keep as a pet.
theyre magical Thing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

theyre magical Thing

What a revoltin' development!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

At least Frieren knows the right orders to give a demon

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 85

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they came right out and said what everyone had already realized. i guess there is more to this situation than the obvious.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Denken is still the best character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think the moral of this arc is going to be that it's cool and good to enslave demons

Best way to handle a demon is to banish it from whence it came. Back to the void with Macht and his fool's gold.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I completely forgot Lernen made the bottle golems.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, this is getting interesting. We will probably have another exploration of demons and their mindset, hopefully with slightly different conclusion than "they are innately and irredeemably evil, just kill them all, lol".

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, this is getting interesting. We will probably have another exploration of demons and their mindset, hopefully with slightly different conclusion than "they are innately and irredeemably evil, just kill them all, lol".
Nah gently caress that, so many other works have "actually the demons are misunderstood/the good guys" that making them sociopathic apex predators is one of the interesting things about in this manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The only thing even more cliche then "demons are misunderstood good guys" is "demons are all naturally evil, so killing them, even to the point of genocide, is unquestionably a good thing".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

The only thing even more cliche then "demons are misunderstood good guys" is "demons are all naturally evil, so killing them, even to the point of genocide, is unquestionably a good thing".

At this point, that's much more of a surprise in a manga.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Frieren demons remind me a little of Peter Watts' vampires so they're pretty cool.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Heavily agree.

Most shounen manga reverts to a doraemon approach where the problem was we never relied on consensus building.

Big bads are great as long as they are big and bads.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

At this point, that's much more of a surprise in a manga.

..."A race of intelligent beings that is naturally evil and wants to kill all humans, so fighting them and killing them is unquestionably a positive thing" is a rare thing in manga? What? :psyduck:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
As has been pointed out, the demons in this aren't actually evil, they're completely amoral and inhuman.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 10, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah it's relative. Of course the humans of this setting are going to try and paint them as evil and villainous as possible, humans are the prey in this situation.

I feel like this is leading up to some kind of revelation of some sort about demon instincts and motivation but I largely don't care if they're capable of "reform" or whatever their food wants to call it. Very few of my favorite moments in the manga so far have been demon related.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 10, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yes, but also not really? They are interesting, but has also been treated basically indistinguishably from being a cliche "evil race" in the story (literally every encounter with demons so far has been solved by murdering them all and it was always shown as the right choice, practically and morally) which is why I hope there will be more interesting conclusion to them than "they are evil, kill them all", to circle back to my original comment?

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

It's pretty strange that none actually try to coexist with humans, since it doesn't seem like they need to eat people to live. It's like they don't have self-preservation instinct. You'd think if they were that intelligent they'd figure out that there's a good chance they'd be killed for doing that. Maybe killing humans could be so fun they'd risk their lives for it, but they don't have emotions, so that's out. They could be a race someone created long ago using magic and for some reason they were programmed to kill humans above all else.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
They don't have any sort of interiority, which would probably preclude any sense of community or legacy, or even any conception of a world (or other demons) persisting after the self ceases to exist (or whatever conception they have of 'self', if any).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Whether or not "Demons are secretly the victims and must be protected" or "Demons are soulless killing machines that exist purely to spread misery" is more cliche to you depends largely on what kind of media you consume because in reality both of those options are pretty played out at this point lol.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 10, 2022

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
To me, at least, it feels like the demons are barely an actual society and culture of their own. But maybe I'm reading the narrative weirdly; but they're constantly described as a sort of predatory natural force that simply adapted the way they have to human society. So they don't think, or act, the way people do about anything because they really don't share any of the same commonalities. Like if we suddenly found a bunch of humanoid spiders just chilling somewhere, that'd be weird and horrifying. Especially if they just kept on acting like spiders. Then it'd be extra weird if eventually they started putting on hats just to avoid being slaughtered instantly since basic camouflage and such is a survival tactic plenty of creatures use.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
demon chat aside, we had on an on screen fight this chapter :black101:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No demon has ever passed the mirror test

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Arbitrary Number posted:

It's pretty strange that none actually try to coexist with humans, since it doesn't seem like they need to eat people to live. It's like they don't have self-preservation instinct. You'd think if they were that intelligent they'd figure out that there's a good chance they'd be killed for doing that. Maybe killing humans could be so fun they'd risk their lives for it, but they don't have emotions, so that's out. They could be a race someone created long ago using magic and for some reason they were programmed to kill humans above all else.

There was that story with the little girl demon who lived with a human family for a while, at least until she murdered another family so her benefactors could raise their daughter, because the demon interpreted "we want to raise a child as our own" in the most clinically amoral sense possible. But it was kindness, in a way: These people wanted a child, so here, one's available now! Everybody wins!

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Mirage posted:

There was that story with the little girl demon who lived with a human family for a while, at least until she murdered another family so her benefactors could raise their daughter, because the demon interpreted "we want to raise a child as our own" in the most clinically amoral sense possible. But it was kindness, in a way: These people wanted a child, so here, one's available now! Everybody wins!

Huh, I forgot about that story. So that girl didn't figure out that humans have preferences about other humans being alive or not. I guess they don't particularly care if other demons are alive or not, if I remember earlier chapters correctly. They just assume humans are the same as themselves, and don't think too hard about it. Maybe they'd rather train magic than think about humans. If they think at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That sage guy they unfroze mentions acting to avenge the Demon King, and the sage Frieran killed in that town clearly had a sort of personality, a prideful one. Frieran mentions that pride is why they never consider manner suppression, since it defines their hierarchy. Even the existence of said hierarchy demands SOME kind of internality and social interaction, however limited.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rody One Half posted:

That sage guy they unfroze mentions acting to avenge the Demon King, and the sage Frieran killed in that town clearly had a sort of personality, a prideful one. Frieran mentions that pride is why they never consider manner suppression, since it defines their hierarchy. Even the existence of said hierarchy demands SOME kind of internality and social interaction, however limited.

Well its been implied that the demon king was different.
And social hierarchies are still a thing in animals, and of if were continuing the line of thought that demons are wholly inhuman in their thought: pride is just the closest word wed have to rationalize that behaviour.

Like a lion doesn't feel 'pride' in the way humans do but its enforcement of the social pecking order can be perceived as that.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Sindai posted:

Frieren demons remind me a little of Peter Watts' vampires so they're pretty cool.

Exactly what I was thinking this morning. A conscience is a detriment to vampire survival, and demons here too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the impression that the demons in this series are probably some sort of constructs rather than "normal" organic beings that evolved or whatever. Like they were created by someone or something and just act on base programming.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe they're a metaphor for computers

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

I got the impression that the demons in this series are probably some sort of constructs rather than "normal" organic beings that evolved or whatever. Like they were created by someone or something and just act on base programming.

I only skimmed the early chapters, but aren't they manifestations of mana, and not reproductive life?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like this El Dorado arc. It's letting us see some old characters again doing some fun stuff, and it's building up an interesting antagonist with a nice complicated backstory.

I don't think it'll top the tournament arc (I always love tournaments), but I think it's the coolest thing we've seen since then.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The best arc was that one chapter about the Hero of the South.

I just thought he was really cool and neat, okay? Don’t judge me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

nrook posted:

The best arc was that one chapter about the Hero of the South.

I just thought he was really cool and neat, okay? Don’t judge me.

You are not wrong