Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don’t need to read an irritating story on the internet to find out that I hate men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for lashing out and berating my boyfriend for taking my mails home and opening them?

quote:

I have a terrible habit of leaving my mail sitting in the mailbox over weekends, BUT I didn't think anyone in the neighborhood would touch it, cause it's been like this since I've moved here except for a month ago, I started noticing that some of my mails were going missing, it was so confusing because I already reported it but it was confirmed I recieved them in my mailbox which led me to believe someone's been taking it.

Some of my mail contains...what I call important and private stuff, like bank account information and other personal information that I wouldn't want anyone else to look at. I started going to the postal service office to get my mail as a temp solution.

Now, About my boyfriend "Jalen", 34M, We've been together for 2 years, long distance relationshion but he moved to my town not too long ago and started spending time at my place.

This past week, He invited me to his apartment for dinner with 2 of my girlfriends. Dinner went great and I helped with cooking,; I walked into his bedroom looking for something. I opened one of the drawers, and there they were...every single one of my missing mails. I felt very confused, I don't know why but I grabbed them and went to confront him INFRONRT of my friends. I started yelling at him about taking my mails and snopping at them and violating my privacy. He stared in shock while I kept lashing out at him. he calmly said "oh I'm so sorry I forgot to give these back". he said he was keeping them for me when he visited bht I wasn't hkme and promised he was planning on returning them, but forgot and they've been sitting there for a month. I said he shouldn't of touched them much less take them home and leave them in the drawer for a month! I said only snoops do that!, my friends watched while I berated him. He just walked away looking red in the face.

After my friends left he said I embarrassed and made him look bad. We argued then I got my stuff and left. He texted me a bunch about how hurt he was by how I treated him earlier. My friends were split on this, One said I handled this badly and humiliated him in his own home, while the other said she's been feeling creeped out by Jalen since she met him and that he deserved me yelling at him but I'm not sure if I went too far.

:redflag: RUN :redflag:

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for lashing out and berating my boyfriend for taking my mails home and opening them?

And dump the friend playing devil's advocate....

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Pomme de Terror posted:

Report this to the postal authorities. Tampering with an intimate partner's mail is the one aspect of domestic abuse the government takes seriously. It is a federal crime. Glad she was warned in time, I guess. gently caress those :decorum: poisoned friends.

AITA for telling my husband a book is a terrible anniversary gift?

quote:

Hi! For context, our first anniversary is in the last week of April, and my husband and I discussed that we would get each other traditional (I.e. paper) gifts.

I am learning to paint in order to gift him a painting of one of our wedding pictures. And he just told me that he will be getting me a book.

Not a custom made book, not a signed book, not a book with our pictures in it. Just a book, most probably the sequel to Dune, which I am currently reading. Off of Amazon.

I was a little taken aback and told him this would make me sad because I normally put a lot of thought and time into his gifts. And he’s just planning to order me a book off of Amazon, something even I can do any day.

I also, stupidly, told him that it would be embarrassing to tell my family that I got a book for our anniversary. And while this is true, it is not the major concern for me. It feels like he doesn’t want to do anything special?

For my birthday last year, I got cupcakes, and then an iPhone some two months later because my MIL kept bugging him about getting me a proper gift. For his birthday, I planned an entire themed birthday party for just the two of us (he is an introvert) with a murder mystery. I got him everything that he had expressed he liked that I could afford in the entire year before that.

Expense is not an issue. We are thankfully pretty well to do.

He knows that though gift giving is not my primary love language, it is the secondary.

So am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Edit- Social media is not the concern here. Neither of us has social media except me here on Reddit.

Edit 2 - Okay, I think I’ll just try to accept that I was the rear end in a top hat here and apologize, and explain to him more clearly as to what I expect in gifts going forward.

Thank you!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
She only says they are open in the title and I want to say that's the only red flag. Paper mail is almost entirely useless now and if it's sealed envelopes I wouldn't worry about it at all. It's a big difference

E: this is because I missed the opened part and read the whole post thinking he had just grabbed her mail for her

Soul Dentist fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 10, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my mom to go back to the family she replaced me with

quote:

My mom (42) and I (22 M) used to be really close. Like she's all I've ever had and she's the one who taught me to be a strong as I am today and her becoming a cop inspired my whole life. I love her so much and I admire how strong she and I wish things were like how they were. Her uncle (my great uncle) managed to bring her to Canada from Kosovo in 1999 if that helps give you guys an idea of the kind of things that she's been through.

When I went to university our relationship started changing: she disliked my gfs, my uni choice, wanted me to ferry home every weekend and then I got a co-op term at a prestigious company in Vancouver (don't ask, I'm not giving it up) that she did not want me to work for cause she had a moral stance against it. I agree with her but it was a great opportunity. I'm going to grad at the end of the term and I'm set for a job with the VPD cause of it. But my mom cut me off cause of it and straight up told me not to come back so I had to move in with my great uncle and his son (my uncle).

We started messaging again half a year ago after she sent me a chain message on Whatsapp but we've been taking it slow. I follow my mom on IG but she rarely posts and when she does its anti-war stuff. But then she put up this post with a caption something like 'so happy to have a real family again, can't wait to go on my new journey' and it showed her boyfriend and her with engagement rings and an ultrasound. Like I don't know it just triggered something inside of me. Am I not her real family? Were we nothing? It just made me very angry like I'm going to have the sibling and stepfather I always wanted and she couldn't even be bothered to tell me personally? Well I decided to wait and see how long it would take her to call me about the news and she just didn't.

Reading break was two weeks ago and at the end of it my mom came to my great uncle's house to pick something up. She saw me and tried acting like no time had passed and how excited she was for my graduation and this and that. She still didn't acknowledge she's getting married. I just told her not to care about my graduation and to go back to the family she replaced me with, left and stayed gone till she went home. My uncle told me that what I did made her cry and I was an rear end in a top hat to her and my great uncle told me that I should have handled things with more tact. I feel bad about it cause she was reaching out to me and everyting's been frosty with my uncles since then.

quote:

The company's involved in war, that's about all I'm going to say on the topic.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If she's a cop I feel like she doesn't have much room to throw stones.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

We finally found them, the mythical anti-Raytheon (or whatever) cop

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Invisible Clergy posted:

From the comments:

OP posted:

It’s just that, I’ve specified it to paper. So just google paper gifts and choose anything personal or meaningful. You know? Like get a painting commissioned or a comic book of us or paper mache or a scrapbook of our pictures or a letter or poem on paper or tickets to something or even a more meaningful book like something signed by my favorite author or freaking anything that isn’t bought off of Amazon with 0 thought. There’s so many options!

I’m sorry I’m venting, it’s just making me very sad

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

ghost emoji posted:

AITA for finally confronting my husband about his unhealthy choices? (self.AmItheAsshole)

submitted 3 hours ago by Concerned_wife847

"I'm just concerned about his health! Also I don't like him because he doesn't have a six pack anymore"

Why the hell did she talk him into going off his medications?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Because if there's one thing a cop would never be, it's a hypocrite.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We finally found them, the mythical anti-Raytheon (or whatever) cop

Perhaps the war store the op works for personally poo poo on Kosovo. I can't imagine a cop being anti private defense contractors for any other reason.

Quackles posted:

From the comments:

OP should say that, but to the husband and not to strangers on reddit, lol.

quantumwell posted:

Why the hell did she talk him into going off his medications?

She thought it would make him lose weight, since that's all she cares about.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 10, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

Report this to the postal authorities. Tampering with an intimate partner's mail is the one aspect of domestic abuse the government takes seriously. It is a federal crime. Glad she was warned in time, I guess. gently caress those :decorum: poisoned friends.

quote:

For his birthday, I planned an entire themed birthday party for just the two of us (he is an introvert) with a murder mystery.

oh I'm sure this was great

quote:

Edit- Social media is not the concern here. Neither of us has social media except me here on Reddit.

bullshit

quote:

It’s just that, I’ve specified it to paper. So just google paper gifts and choose anything personal or meaningful. You know? Like get a painting commissioned or a comic book of us or paper mache or a scrapbook of our pictures or a letter or poem on paper or tickets to something or even a more meaningful book like something signed by my favorite author or freaking anything that isn’t bought off of Amazon with 0 thought. There’s so many options!

I’m sorry I’m venting, it’s just making me very sad

:thunk:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for not letting my son on his console on school days?

Might be doing the insane goon projection thing here, but "He's been getting good grades but I won't reward him or ease up because that might distract him from getting good grades" is really damaging in the long run. I guess it depends on how old the son is, but still.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Might be doing the insane goon projection thing here, but "He's been getting good grades but I won't reward him or ease up because that might distract him from getting good grades" is really damaging in the long run. I guess it depends on how old the son is, but still.

Nah, and there's a very easy "loosen restrictions as a reward, as long as you keep up the good work" option that a reasonable parent would consider.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Nah. There's a difference between projection and drawing parallels between similar relevant experiences in your own life. OP's a dickhole. If the video game machine is a gift, then it shouldn't come with strings. It really doesn't depend on the son's age. He's producing the only thing parents like OP care about : high numbers, and gets nothing in return.

AITA took most of my step sons clothes

quote:

I am looking for ADULTS/parents opinions. Edit: HE IS DOING HOS LAUNDRY! THANK YOU! LMFAO

I took my step sons clothing because I am so sick of doing his laundry all the time and finding clean clothes just stuffed into the dirty clothes basket. For context he is 11, hoards clothing that has not fit him since he was 7, refuses to fold and out away his own clothes or put his dirty clothing in the basket (which is only an arms reach from his bed and door) and just drops them on the floor or tries clothes on and instead of putting it away again right on the floor it goes.

He also used to do his own wash but now just refuses to wash his clothes. As punishment for never picking them up or putting clothes away after I fold them ( he acts all dramatic and claims he doesn't even know how hangers work when I have showed him over and over) I realized it was one of those "if I act like I can't she will do it" situations. I warned him for 3 weeks that if he did not start doing it that's would take all the clothes and only give him one outfit at a time. I decided to give him a weeks worth of clothing by making him a capsule wardrobe and he complained about jeans, which shirt I picked ect.

I told him when he can prove he can take care of his clothing he will slowly get more back. Fast forward and it has been over a month and he still refuses to put them in the basket, put them away when I wash them (because he refuses to wash them until I cave because I don't want him to be the smelly kid in school 😡).

He just tried to claim he would call CPS because I took his clothing and it's child abuse.... (He has 3 jeans, a pair of shorts, a pair of PJ pants, a pair of sweat pants, 3 long sleeve shirts, 2 long sleeve shirts, 2 hoodies and 9 pairs of socks/underpants). Should I just throw my hands up and let him call CPS? 😂

Edit to add: for those of you asking where the other parents are, his mother and father had issues with drugs and got him taken away when he was a year old. Mother has passed from an overdose when he was almost six. My husband has been clean since before I met him and has stayed clean.

My son has also said that I have been his mom longer than she was his mom so he acknowledges the fact that I've been taking care of him most of his life and the only time that he brings up her death is when he gets in trouble he tries to blame it on being bullied 3 years ago at school and because his mother is deceased but then always cracks jokes about how she is dead so for anyone thinking that that's the issue, it is not.

And this post was mainly to show him that I am not being unreasonable asking him to take care of his own laundry or he doesn't need to have it in his room.
(added paragraph breaks)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ghost emoji posted:

AITA for finally confronting my husband about his unhealthy choices? (self.AmItheAsshole)

submitted 3 hours ago by Concerned_wife847

"I'm just concerned about his health! Also I don't like him because he doesn't have a six pack anymore"

She's right. It's way easier to maintain definition than to get it back

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pomme de Terror posted:

the gently caress? how could there be any legit reason for this

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling a woman to take out her own trash?

quote:

I was talking to my landlord’s mother. I have lived in this apartment since I was 9 so almost 20 years. The landlord’s mother Gabby does basic cleaning in the outside area of our apartment and in the lobby. Super sweet woman. He English isn’t great but Like I said I have been talking to her for years.

A new renters comes by and sees Gabby mopping the hallway and dumps her trash bag at Gabby’s feet. “good you can take this down to the dumpster for me” the trashbag had a bloody pad sticking to the top. I told the young woman to take her out loving trash to the dumpster and she said that “this woman can do it it’s her job” I went off on the young woman and told her that’s not her job to run you disgusting trash to the dumpster. The woman “said I’m going to tell the landlord” I said this is the landlord’s mother is right here. The woman takes her trash and leaves. I here her later crying on the phone to someone (actually crying) “that this place is Ghetto and they are discriminating against me” I screamed in the background welcome to adulthood princess her we take out own trash. The woman said she’s going to call the police because everyone is harassing her. So far no police has showed up but my girlfriend said I was kinda an rear end in a top hat in this situation and maybe it’s the young woman’s first time of living away from home.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Vim Fuego posted:

the gently caress? how could there be any legit reason for this

There couldn't, hence it being a red flag.

AITA for calling my autistic wife a “neurotic psycho”?

quote:

My wife is autistic, she was recently diagnosed 2 years ago while we were engaged. Prior to this diagnosis I knew she was a control freak about things. I have tried being understanding since the diagnosis that “she has a reason” for these neurotic tendencies, but it’s frustrating.

The following are some of the things she does that bother me. She has to do a visual, smell, feel check of all her dishes & utensils before using them. If I load the dishwasher she gets irritated and rearranges it “correctly”, but there’s no “correct” way to load a dishwasher. She never wants to go anywhere spontaneously, and when I convince her to go she acts stressed out the whole time and won’t just let herself have fun. She won’t go to a store without a list. She has our 1 year old son on a strict routine and gets really upset if deviate from it, for example, she gets mad if I wake him up from naps to go on an outing.

There are a lot of things, I could list stuff for days. I love her very much but I need her to be willing to budge. So, last night she asked for me to grab her a cup so she could get a drink. I grabbed the cup but told her to sit down and let me fill the drink for her. She told me she wanted to do her “see, touch, smell” routine with the cup and asked if she could just get it. I told her no and that she should just trust me to give her a drink, and she said she wouldn’t be able to drink it without doing her routine. She got really upset but it seemed like a bratty tantrum to me. She has to get over some of these things at some point, she’s almost 30.

She started crying because I was blocking the cupboard and insisting that I was going to do it for her. The crying was over the top so I got irritated and called her a “neurotic psycho”. She shut down and locked herself in the room with our son. Then later on she said that I’m being insensitive and not considerate to her struggles as an autistic person. I just want her to let go a bit, but it feels like she is using autism as a weapon to get her way.

AITA?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Got this far

quote:

there’s no “correct” way to load a dishwasher
And didn't even need to read the rest to know that OP is an rear end in a top hat.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Evil Willow posted:

AITB for refusing to give my fiancée gas money after he drove 2 hours to get me
Australians don't have spring break. And we call it Uni. Idk, maybe she changed the country to throw her BF off or whatever these too-online people are doing.

But whatever the case, she really should dump him

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

Woof, in the comments he said he was afraid of his son being misdiagnosed due to learning her mannerisms. Yes, afraid the son will catch enough of the autism to fool doctors into thinking he is also autistic.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Lol I'm reading this like 3 months behind, as one does, and there is a massive derail over "does destroying you own joint owned lovely consumer IOT goods safely, with no sentiment attached to them with a sledgehammer and with no anger or danger to your partner,(using what may not actually have been a sledgehammer), after you used said cameras that never should have been there in the first place to humiliate and violate your partner... count as domestic abuse?

And then the non-sledgehammer people and the actual sledgehammer owner people facing off. Internet is loving weird.

Let me put it this way... If you own a sledgehammer, you WILL find an excuse to use it.

The worst part of owning a sledgehammer is that you can look around a room or really anything and be like "could I break that?" and the answer for everything and everyone you look at is always "yes... yes you could... just pick me up... just a little tap... yessssss."

But then you are like "that would be really expensive to replace, or will get the cops called, so I can't do that." It's horribly frustrating. It wants to be swung.

I love you Sledgey. We will find a time.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my hypocritical holier than thou uncle for having a mistress?

stones, nukes

This is awesome.

I have a similar one.

At the end of school I went on a trip with my girlfriend and a bunch of her female friends for a few months around the world. We ended up at plenty of topless beaches. Photos were taken.

Facebook photos were uploaded, by someone. Nothing explicit - everything is from the back and there were a bunch of Austin-Powers style photos where the girls are covering their boobs with boob-like objects such as coconuts or doing Little Mermaid bras with shells. Risque, maybe? Juvenile humor, sure.

This one girl, Eve, her family gets wind of it and poo poo goes ballistic. Her older brother (in his 30s or 40s, has a different mother) made it his loving mission to just slut-shame these girls by reposting these pictures every day on his own Facebook and using it as 'evidence' that his sister is a whore, and that parents shouldn't pay for her university, because she is just using her newfound freedom to be a complete whore by letting a man see her boobs on a beach. This went on for months. There were zero consequences really as most of her family was like "Why are you being so creepy?" and "This is normal in Europe". He was just blowing up his own family to keep reposting these rather PG rated photos everywhere and 'warn' her younger cousins about her. She went to Thanksgiving in the fall and her brother had PRINTED OUT these photos and handed them out to people at the gathering to 'prove' what a whore she was. Grandma apparently saw them and told about how she used to run around topless at the beach when she was young and said something to the likes of 'If you've got it, flaunt it". Brother was entirely alone in giving a poo poo yet continued to persist.

Eve's other cousin 'Sherlock' had found her brother's profile on a dating site . Yes, imagine our surprise when the Holier Than Thou married brother was showing off his stupid sports car and looking for a sugar baby half his age. He did absolutely nothing to disguise his identity (his license plate was even visible in his car photo!) and his profile was straight out looking for casual sex and about how he only wanted casual sex because he was so devoted to the mother of his children. Cousin Sherlock screenshotted and printed out the photos and brought it to Xmas. They gave Brother one last chance to not be a complete moron but during Christmas dinner he asked Eve whether she was still part of a harem for 'that Catholic boy' (me) so Sherlock deployed the photos.

I wish I was there to witness the meltdown. Brother's wife lost her poo poo, as did the rest of the family, and Brother got kicked out of Christmas and had to go spend it in a hotel. They divorced. The family still hangs out with Brother's Ex-Wife while he is now the family pariah. All over absolutely nothing.

I am always thrilled to see Holier Than Thou born-again types just totally eat poo poo when they think themselves immune.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 10, 2022

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

This is awesome.

I have a similar one.

At the end of school I went on a trip with my girlfriend and a bunch of her female friends for a few months around the world. We ended up at plenty of topless beaches. Photos were taken.

Facebook photos were uploaded, by someone. Nothing explicit - everything is from the back and there were a bunch of Austin-Powers style photos where the girls are covering their boobs with boob-like objects such as coconuts or doing Little Mermaid bras with shells. Risque, maybe? Juvenile humor, sure.

This one girl, Eve, her family gets wind of it and poo poo goes ballistic. Her older brother (in his 30s or 40s, has a different mother) made it his loving mission to just slut-shame these girls by reposting these pictures every day on his own Facebook and using it as 'evidence' that his sister is a whore, and that parents shouldn't pay for her university, because she is just using her newfound freedom to be a complete whore by letting a man see her boobs on a beach. This went on for months. There were zero consequences really as most of her family was like "Why are you being so creepy?" and "This is normal in Europe". He was just blowing up his own family to keep reposting these rather PG rated photos everywhere and 'warn' her younger cousins about her. She went to Thanksgiving in the fall and her brother had PRINTED OUT these photos and handed them out to people at the gathering to 'prove' what a whore she was. Grandma apparently saw them and told about how she used to run around topless at the beach when she was young and said something to the likes of 'If you've got it, flaunt it". Brother was entirely alone in giving a poo poo yet continued to persist.

Eve's other cousin 'Sherlock' had found her brother's profile on a dating site . Yes, imagine our surprise when the Holier Than Thou married brother was showing off his stupid sports car and looking for a sugar baby half his age. He did absolutely nothing to disguise his identity (his license plate was even visible in his car photo!) and his profile was straight out looking for casual sex and about how he only wanted casual sex because he was so devoted to the mother of his children. Cousin Sherlock screenshotted and printed out the photos and brought it to Xmas. They gave Brother one last chance to not be a complete moron but during Christmas dinner he asked Eve whether she was still part of a harem for 'that Catholic boy' (me) so Sherlock deployed the photos.

I wish I was there to witness the meltdown. Brother's wife lost her poo poo, as did the rest of the family, and Brother got kicked out of Christmas and had to go spend it in a hotel. They divorced. The family still hangs out with Brother's Ex-Wife while he is now the family pariah. All over absolutely nothing.

were the beach boobs nice

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

poisonpill posted:

were the beach boobs nice

Yes and no. See, I was quite young, and the boobies were maybe too nice?

I'm trying to do normal beach thing like read my doorstopper Neal Stephenson book, or take a nap, but there are boobs around so being a teenage boy I absolutely must at least admire my situation, because one day I won't be here. So even if I feel like I'm tired and hungover and sunburnt and I'd probably rather just go back to the hostel early today, I must stay because there are boobs around and one day there won't be. A true trial of wills.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Prodestants who are mad at Catholics are among the most brain poisoned people in the universe they can’t even unite with people who mostly hate the same things as them over the most insignificant religious details.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Prodestants who are mad at Catholics are among the most brain poisoned people in the universe.

Yeah this guy would even call me a Papist, like we were in 17th century Germany or something. I was not Catholic except in the sense that my family was 'ethnically' Catholic, but I had not gone to church since I was a kid. This dude would really get on me about it and bring up Catholic Church sex scandals expecting me to defend the Church or be offended or something, when I would just agree that yeah organized religion in general is creepy and corrupt and I wanted no part of it. He didn't know what to do with a win.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Yeah this guy would even call me a Papist, like we were in 17th century Germany or something. I was not Catholic except in the sense that my family was 'ethnically' Catholic, but I had not gone to church since I was a kid. This dude would really get on me about it and bring up Catholic Church sex scandals expecting me to defend the Church or be offended or something, when I would just agree that yeah organized religion in general is creepy and corrupt and I wanted no part of it. He didn't know what to do with a win.

I had the same thing growing up for whatever reason there was huge number of anti-Catholic parents and teachers at the Christian elementary school my Catholic family inexplicably made me go to and poo poo like the teacher telling my friend that he couldn’t do a book report on JFK because he was a Pagan was not uncommon

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Yes and no. ....A true trial of wills.

:lol: totally get it, although the question was basically a joke anyway

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Prodestants

Now I'm thinking of a church service with cattle prods.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for going on an expensive vacation and not helping fund my sister's IVF?

quote:

My (30M) sister(34F) has been struggling to conceive with her husband for a few years now. They recently went to a Gyno and were told they likely would be unable to without IVF. Obviously she's upset about it. Idk their exact financial situation but she and her husband are both teachers at private schools. They said their insurance doesn't cover it at all and that they were told it would likely be about 25k all in with the medication and everything. There is no guarantee of success and it could be 25k and no positive result. They asked me and my parents if we could help pitch in and my parents objected due to it being against their religious beliefs.

Im not religious at all and dont have any ethical objections but thats just a lot of money with no guarantee so it seems like a bad idea and Im just not comfortable with giving that amount to a family member. My wife and I work hard and we dont want to potentially throw many away if it didn't succeed so we told them no. She was upset but left it at that (at the time) when we told her.

Well my wife and I have always wanted to go to Europe and now that travel is back on we decided to take a trip together. I dont use social media but my wife does and she got excited and posted on her story a confirmation of our flight being booked. Well my sister saw that and then texted me saying how I was an rear end in a top hat for spending all this money on a vacation but not helping my own sister have a family. At first I brushed it off as her just being upset at her situation but then today I got another mean text from her. AITA here?

Maybe they'll see normal European beach boobs too!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

edgeman83 posted:

Woof, in the comments he said he was afraid of his son being misdiagnosed due to learning her mannerisms. Yes, afraid the son will catch enough of the autism to fool doctors into thinking he is also autistic.

Well poo poo, if he loathes autistic peeps so much why'd he get married and have a kid with one?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Prodestants who are mad at Catholics are among the most brain poisoned people in the universe they can’t even unite with people who mostly hate the same things as them over the most insignificant religious details.

I grew up with a friend who had the most waspy old money protestant parents imaginable. Just the worst sort of social conservative bigots. The only thing they hated more than the gays and the feminists and the immigrants were catholics. My god I got to hear some anti-catholic rants, about how they were just a cult that worshipped the pope and mary and can't call themselves Christian.

They ended up converting to Catholicism because all the local protestant churches became gay friendly.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

Well poo poo, if he loathes autistic peeps so much why'd he get married and have a kid with one?

She was only diagnosed somewhat recently, even if it was prior to their marriage. Their courtship probably predates this at least a little, so OP is stuck in the mindset of thinking of her various autistic rituals as mere annoying habits of an nt person he can successfully nag, bully, or ridicule her out of even though his wife has a doctor's note saying otherwise now.

Autistic women are underdiagnosed bigtime. A lot of the reason is that there is a sex-segregated checklist for detecting autism in kids, so even if his wife would've been flagged if the school aid did both tests, if she didn't present in the way conceptualized as female, she wouldn't get support. Complicating this, the way women and girls are socialized to not be disruptive means a lot of afab autists learn to mask their behaviors much better than their amab peers, which is another contributing reason why they are typically diagnosed later in life if at all.

Since the wife probably spent her formative years being told to "quit being weird" by parents and teachers and the like and learned complying is a good way to get people to stop yelling at you, she is probably pretty easy to bully and pick on, which made her an attractive prospect for someone like OP. Splitting up is definitely best for all parties involved, but the baby means that's unlikely at best.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

It's the same mom that was the tiger mom last week that had the kid go to sleep at 8 and only study,.

wheatpuppy posted:

Got this far

And didn't even need to read the rest to know that OP is an rear end in a top hat.

I was hoping that he meant that she says the 'correct' way is different each time, but from context no...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Yes and no. See, I was quite young, and the boobies were maybe too nice?

I'm trying to do normal beach thing like read my doorstopper Neal Stephenson book, or take a nap, but there are boobs around so being a teenage boy I absolutely must at least admire my situation, because one day I won't be here. So even if I feel like I'm tired and hungover and sunburnt and I'd probably rather just go back to the hostel early today, I must stay because there are boobs around and one day there won't be. A true trial of wills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKgC7RIu4vU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

t-.-t posted:

AITA - wife keeps opening my window when i've told her I want it dark

This could be a harmless clash of lifestyles like vampire-dude says, but I bet the room the guy's wife keeps airing out is horrifyingly gross.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Blastedhellscape posted:

This could be a harmless clash of lifestyles like vampire-dude says, but I bet the room the guy's wife keeps airing out is horrifyingly gross.

When someone can smell themselves you know it's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Blastedhellscape posted:

I took it as a given that the reason she periodically opens the window in his fart cave is to help mitigate the smell so it doesn't spread to other areas of the house. OP's right to be stinky ends where other peoples' noses begin.