Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

Tbh I still hope they ultimately keep it going

Pretty hosed up to say I hope they stop the mass murder and rape

E: this doesn’t work as well on a different page from the last two posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Pretty hosed up to say I hope they stop the mass murder and rape

E: this doesn’t work as well on a different page from the last two posts

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

There is no free will I say as I commit mass murder and rape in order to turn into a demonlord.

drat it would be hosed up if something like this 'determinism' existed in real life, imagine the implications!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Destiny and determinism are bullshit made up by people to justify themselves doing awful poo poo. Gutts has always accepted responsibility for the awful poo poo he has done. Fate isn’t real in Berserk, it’s just that the God Hand are incredibly powerful and are able to orchestrate a bunch of poo poo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

No Dignity posted:

drat it would be hosed up if something like this 'determinism' existed in real life, imagine the implications!

Are you incredibly christian or the god emperor of Dune?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Destiny and determinism are bullshit made up by people to justify themselves doing awful poo poo. Gutts has always accepted responsibility for the awful poo poo he has done. Fate isn’t real in Berserk, it’s just that the God Hand are incredibly powerful and are able to orchestrate a bunch of poo poo.

Well, yeah, Guts and Caska surviving the eclipse shows that fate is not 100% determined for the people not chosen by the behelits but, for 99.999999% of people it is basically real.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

trucutru posted:

Well, yeah, Guts and Caska surviving the eclipse shows that fate is not 100% determined for the people not chosen by the behelits but, for 99.999999% of people it is basically real.
But why shouldn't it be fate that they survived? Zodd was there (fate?). Rickert was there (fate?). Maybe the IOE does this every fifth Godhand member; gotta take out the garbage and recycling.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

trucutru posted:

Unless it was fate that they survived, therefore leading to the chain of events that would cause femto to be reborn, that would lead to his conflict with the kushan emperor and the material world and spirit world getting merged or whatever, and ultimately to whatever weird poo poo would have happened at the end of the series had it gone on longer. If everything is pre-ordained then it's possible that even the stuff that seems like it isn't, actually is, and that every single actor is always just playing their part no matter how badly they insist they aren't owned. :shepface:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
IIRC Guts has basically been bucking fate since the moment he was born and something about existing in the interstice has only amplified that.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nuebot posted:

Unless it was fate that they survived, therefore leading to the chain of events that would cause femto to be reborn, that would lead to his conflict with the kushan emperor and the material world and spirit world getting merged or whatever, and ultimately to whatever weird poo poo would have happened at the end of the series had it gone on longer. If everything is pre-ordained then it's possible that even the stuff that seems like it isn't, actually is, and that every single actor is always just playing their part no matter how badly they insist they aren't owned. :shepface:

So, the last chapter is just 30 pages of corncobification?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

IIRC Guts has basically been bucking fate since the moment he was born and something about existing in the interstice has only amplified that.

Skull Knight confirms this to Guts by telling him he's always been one close to death and has defied it since the beginning.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah like Guts has one of the most heavy metal origin stories ever and literally every aspect of his story has been about being an orphaned, unwanted vestige on society who stays on out of sheer raw determination.

I have to give Miura a lot of credit for being so canny with Griffith's backstory too, because it would have been very easy and on-the-nose to have Griffith be some prodigal son or silver spoon motherfucker upset because he didn't have "enough." Instead we get just enough to see that Griffith was definitely of a kind to Casca and Guts and that it was his own disposition and framing that makes him such a piece of poo poo.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zodd calls Guts the struggler because that is his role, he is the one who overcomes in ways even Griffith, who overthrew reality, can never really be.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Oh you know, one more thing. The merging of the planes doesn't happen until later, and the eclipse is a very closed door that few can pass through. Why are there apostles in the world at all? There were eclipses before, but no apostles. Monsters show up before the eclipse, but I always read that as "gathering"/leaking and not something permanent.
Minor point but at the end of the eclipse Slan says that the coming time will probably be referred to as the age of darkness, as a result of the birth of the fifth angel. Zodd also says they'll be pouring from the gate soon, so somehow he knew but thought that Skull Knight didn't.

Seems like part of the underdeveloped lore; ie, the way it needed to be for the story.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

christmas boots posted:

Notice how in the scene where he plays dice with the Hawks, he wins the pot every single time. In every way, Guts defies the odds.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Not Important posted:

Notice how in the scene where he plays dice with the Hawks, he wins the pot every single time. In every way, Guts defies the odds.
Or was it simply the fate of the other three to lose? :thunk:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

We need to find one of them egg guys and feed them a baby so Miura can get reborn.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Interesting that SK says "maybe you have some connection to the elves" when carrying Guts back to the mine the second time.

I also did a bit of arithmetic and realized that Farnese and Serpico show up immediately after the eclipse, so they're around for the majority of the story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

There is no free will I say as I commit mass murder and rape in order to turn into a demonlord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSpvCV34Ok

"I have no free will", I sang
As I flew about the murder
Mrs. Richard Holmes, she screamed
You really should have heard her
I sang and I laughed, I howled and I wept
I panted like a pup
I blew a hole in Mrs. Richard Holmes
And her husband stupidly stood up
As he screamed, "You are an evil man"
And I paused a while to wonder
"If I have no free will then how can I
Be morally culpable, I wonder"
I shot Richard Holmes in the stomach
And gingerly he sat down
And he whispered weirdly, "No offense"
And then lay upon the ground
"None taken", I replied to him
To which he gave a little cough
With blazing wings I neatly aimed
And blew his head completely off
I've lived in this town for thirty years
And to no-one I am a stranger
And I put new bullets in my gun
Chamber upon chamber
And I turned my gun on the bird-like Mr. Brookes
I thought of Saint Francis and his sparrows
And as I shot down the youthful Richardson
It was St. Sebastian I thought of, and his arrows

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Or was it simply the fate of the other three to lose? :thunk:
At least it is true, that man has no control over his own fate.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
One thing that struck me during my reread is how depressing Binding Chain and the beginning of the birth chapters are. I began to wonder if people like the Tower sequence so much because it's a breath of fresh air.

Golden Age was not as... boring as previous rereads, but it's still not my favorite.

I need to go back and find those few laughable views of Guts.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nuebot posted:

They were branded for death by the not-at-all metaphorical hand of god itself and survived. That's undeniable proof that, at that point, they went outside of their fate. Maybe a new fate was spun for them afterwards, but that's something different.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

trucutru posted:

They were branded for death by the not-at-all metaphorical hand of god itself and survived. That's undeniable proof that, at that point, they went outside of their fate. Maybe a new fate was spun for them afterwards, but that's something different.

Doesn't the metaphor of a fish jumping out of water get used at some point? Like the fish is defying fate but also not really because it goes back into the water and gets swallowed up regardless.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Doesn't the metaphor of a fish jumping out of water get used at some point? Like the fish is defying fate but also not really because it goes back into the water and gets swallowed up regardless.

The fish jumping out of the water creates ripples though, disturbing the face of the pond. I took it as a chaos theory-like metaphor, Guts surviving led to the formation of the new Guts crew, Rickert becoming alienated from Griffith and giving him the slap and would have almost certainly led to an unforeseen outcome with the moonlight child. Events were stacking up that seemed to be outside the Godhand's vision, which I figured was going to be their downfall

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No Dignity posted:

The fish jumping out of the water creates ripples though, disturbing the face of the pond. I took it as a chaos theory-like metaphor, Guts surviving led to the formation of the new Guts crew, Rickert becoming alienated from Griffith and giving him the slap and would have almost certainly led to an unforeseen outcome with the moonlight child. Events were stacking up that seemed to be outside the Godhand's vision, which I figured was going to be their downfall

Casca surviving led to Griffith's current physical body so yeah, big consequences.

Even the Skull Knight, who is the one that saved them anyways, was surprised that they weren't dead and the dude is very aware of the whole causality stuff.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Skull Knight has been around on a quest for vengeance for seemingly close to a millennia the way its described, but at this point I think he's sticking around because he's most interested in seeing how Guts and Casca buck causality and stick it to the Godhand in a way he never could. He's just around as a voyeur at this point to see if anyone can escape the whirlpool he couldn't.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The difference between Guts and Skully is that, per the latter's flashback, SK lost the person he cared about in the Eclipse and so when he survived there was nothing left for him but vengeance. Guts meanwhile still had Casca, even if she was in a completely broken state, and the primary locus of his arc has been that he can only balance a self-destructive quest for vengeance and a quest to heal Casca for so long before one inevitably consumes the other. And I think that's why Skull Knight went out of his way to save both Guts and Casca: so that each would still have something to hold onto besides vengeance. He also appears multiple times to caution Guts that vengeance will ultimately consume his humanity in the way it consumed his own. With the hindsight of SK's full backstory I think it's pretty clear he regrets what he's become but doesn't really have anything else left but to see his vengeance through, and that's a fate he doesn't want to befall Guts or Casca.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So they're releasing the "final volume" soon, has anyone heard anything about them continuing it or not?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Official word is there are no plans to continue at this time.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
If they ever decide to create a Berserk continuation, it should be under a different series title to establish a clear distinction. I have to imagine there's a few scattered notes, outlines and sketches left...but trying to pull those together into a coherent story would require lots of improvisation and guessing.

You'd need a very good and respected writer/artist who can take responsibility, yet it would still feel like fanfiction (although perhaps extremely good fanfiction, if we're lucky).

Btw...I just noticed earlier this week on Amazon that the digital manga volumes are on sale, in case anyone wants to pick up any volumes.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 7, 2022

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

wielder posted:

If they ever decide to create a Berserk continuation, it should be under a different series title to establish a clear distinction. I have to imagine there's a few scattered notes, outlines and sketches left...but trying to pull those together into a coherent story would require lots of improvisation and guessing.

You'd need a very good and respected writer/artist who can take responsibility, yet it would still feel like fanfiction (although perhaps extremely good fanfiction, if we're lucky).

Btw...I just noticed earlier this week on Amazon that the digital manga volumes are on sale, in case anyone wants to pick up any volumes.

Just get Brian Herbert on the phone!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like the right mangaka or creative team will get the proper blessings from the people involved and come in to finish up Berserk's story at some point, with things basically beelining straight to a proper ending in 20 or so monthly chapters. It just seems like too well-known of a property to just languish on the vine forever, though conversely it'd be pretty abnormal to launch into a continuation within a year or two of the author's death. I wouldn't expect a different title if this were to happen.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yeah, with all the merchandising deals and sales of the manga globally, in general, I can't imagine they would completely leave it alone and I would still like for it to get to some conclusion because those final panels had an enormous mix of :staredog: and :wtc: and ending on that is just the ultimate tease of.....wherever the gently caress Miura was heading

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Somebody linked reddit post a while back where Miura said at an exhibition that the manga was close to its final arc and he gave an extremely high level outline that was basically "Casca regains her sanity, then Guts and Griffith cross swords again, then Guts separates from his companions to once again become the black swordsman." Considering the final chapter we got we're almost certainly at the crossing swords point, which would then have probably transitioned into the series endgame. So yeah while nothing is ever going to be fully faithful even if Miura left 100% detailed notes somewhere, the story is in a place where you could reasonably wrap it up within 2-3 years of monthly publication.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

S'all fine with me, just call it "Berserk: The Struggle" or something to differentiate it on the shelf.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'd be pretty pleased if the events of a continuation centered around the next eclipse how ever many centuries in the future. As the new characters make discoveries about the world they live in we could get glimpses of how the original story eventually resolved. For example, Guts could kill Griffith when he is exposed and vulnerable in Elfheim, with the fallout being severing his relationship with Casca & co and his expulsion from Elfheim. This causes the Godhand to lose a finger and forces them to wait for the next eclipse which would bring us to this new series. For bonus melancholy Casca could eventually forgive Guts and set out back into the real world to find him only to discover that he passed away due to the time differential in Elfheim.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

wielder posted:

I admit to being a terrible person that was reading the scans after book 37. Having an Amazon order last week for other stuff, I used the free shipping and got the last three, for my faithful $15/book... making my average over all 40 something like $12.5ea probably.

My reread is currently in book 24.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Sydin posted:

Somebody linked reddit post a while back where Miura said at an exhibition that the manga was close to its final arc and he gave an extremely high level outline that was basically "Casca regains her sanity, then Guts and Griffith cross swords again, then Guts separates from his companions to once again become the black swordsman." Considering the final chapter we got we're almost certainly at the crossing swords point, which would then have probably transitioned into the series endgame. So yeah while nothing is ever going to be fully faithful even if Miura left 100% detailed notes somewhere, the story is in a place where you could reasonably wrap it up within 2-3 years of monthly publication.

I refuse to believe that Guts would become the black swordsman again, if Miura himself came up from the land of wind and ghosts to tell me this I would tell him to gently caress off and stop trolling.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Guts becomes the Black Swordman again but now he's the kind of Black Swordsman who goes around willingly helping people out and saving cats trapped in trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Guts just walks straight up to Griffith and kisses him on the mouth the end