Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

While you do not at any point have to hand it to the Russian military, I doubt they're happy about this either, and it suggests that if they did get attacked by NATO troops they would roll up the Russians in a blunt and smoke them. At which point they would escalate of course, but suddenly finding out your power projection is a lot weaker than you thought, and that your nuclear umbrella may be your primary means of protection now, can't feel good.

Now you and I both know that Russia isn't going to be attacked by NATO troops any time soon.

I'm wondering how much of their nuclear triad is affected. The only one I could see that's still doing well would be the ballistic submarines and maybe the silos, because the mobile launchers of the Strategic Rocket Forces and the bombers of the Russian Air Force feel like they'd have the same issues plaguing the rest of the Russian military is having in Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Deteriorata posted:

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Hell ya.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

D&D mods only have jurisdiction here. If you have objections about posting in other subforums or people mass-buying avatars, please take those to admins and/or QCS.

i appreciate the efforts of d&d mods. if the qcs thread is unlocked, i’ll try and shout into the void there

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

At least there's that.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Fritz the Horse posted:

D&D mods only have jurisdiction here. If you have objections about posting in other subforums or people mass-buying avatars, please take those to admins and/or QCS.

The admins do nothing and the QCS threads always get locked with nothing happening.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Setting aside the av issue for a moment, if you have problems with the posting in the cspam ukraine thread, I extremely strongly recommend doing one or both of two things.

- Go argue with them there. If you get probated for disagreeing, feel free to message me personally.
- :siren: Report the posts you think are over the line. :siren: "The tankies are terrible! I hate their posts!" "Which posts?" "dunno, just the general tenor of the thread" ain't gonna get you beans

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol come on mass buying avatars is a loving tradition and keeps this thing going.

It sucks sometimes but it'll keep this thing going forever to have these micro transactions available to purchase en masse and project a message.

I do lol at the idea of bourgeoisie tankies defending a literal fascist like doesn't this poo poo invalidate the tankie idea of papa Stalins communism.
..oh

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Young Freud posted:

I'm wondering how much of their nuclear triad is affected. The only one I could see that's still doing well would be the ballistic submarines and maybe the silos, because the mobile launchers of the Strategic Rocket Forces and the bombers of the Russian Air Force feel like they'd have the same issues plaguing the rest of the Russian military is having in Ukraine.

I'm not saying we should discount Russian ballistic subs, but there's very little reason to have confidence in their abilities or maintenance at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Michael Cohen IRL posted:

ain't gonna get you beans
                    /

God, so good.

Sorry. As you were.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Young Freud posted:

AFAIK their nuclear forces receive the bulk of Russia's national military budget for the purposes of capability and maintenance. They're aware that there's some level of graft everywhere, and that fundamentally their nuclear capabilities are the most valuable security asset for the nation, hence.

Also worth noting that even if large numbers don't function it doesn't matter; in the mid-70s, prior to the Satan and Saber, US Intel assessed that a third of Russian missiles would malfunction on launch/coursing and another third wouldn't detonate. The remaining third was considered still sufficient for MAD purposes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Who cares? Tankies gonna tank. Mass av purchases based on petty disagreements is part of the charm of this place.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Who cares? Tankies gonna tank. Mass av purchases based on petty disagreements is part of the charm of this place.

I only wish there was an option in the av purchase screen to select a previous one so I didn't have to scour for my old av and gang tags.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

KillHour posted:

I only wish there was an option in the av purchase screen to select a previous one so I didn't have to scour for my old av and gang tags.
Old av isn't too bad because you can just decrement the number in the url from your current avatar (as long as you knew the extension):

Gang tags...can't help you with that.

e: To clarify, each extension increments separately, so if you had a jpg and your new one's a png, you could have gone from 0005.jpg to 0002.png or something.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 10, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

i appreciate the efforts of d&d mods. if the qcs thread is unlocked, i’ll try and shout into the void there

Youth Decay posted:

The admins do nothing and the QCS threads always get locked with nothing happening.

You can always start a new QCS thread. Admins do actually read QCS, that doesn't guarantee an outcome in your favor but QCS threads aren't just dismissed outright.

You may have some luck contacting admins directly, I recommend sebmojo, Hand Knit, or Pragmatica as those three are all quite active with the politics forums recently.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Hey, remember when someone bought the CSPAM thread a Zwastika banner, and a bunch of people said that was evidence they were proudly supporting genocide? And your avatars go away if you ask nicely. Show a little dignity, you goddamn goons.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ask genuine questions or post an opinion in this thread then go to the other thread and make fun of your question/opinion bing bong so simple

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Elysiume posted:

Old av isn't too bad because you can just decrement the number in the url from your current avatar (as long as you knew the extension):

Gang tags...can't help you with that.

Oh wow, this is good to know, thanks!

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Deteriorata posted:

Given the gravity of everything, I suppose it’s odd and maybe fleeting, but I do find myself looking for someone to post this before I go to sleep each night.

Anyways, I rarely post but have been reading the thread since it started. Thanks everyone for input and gathering information.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010
Does anyone have a link to the VDV music video with the new lyrics/translation below it talking about their failed air drops? I need a laugh.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

AFAIK their nuclear forces receive the bulk of Russia's national military budget for the purposes of capability and maintenance. They're aware that there's some level of graft everywhere, and that fundamentally their nuclear capabilities are the most valuable security asset for the nation, hence.

Also worth noting that even if large numbers don't function it doesn't matter; in the mid-70s, prior to the Satan and Saber, US Intel assessed that a third of Russian missiles would malfunction on launch/coursing and another third wouldn't detonate. The remaining third was considered still sufficient for MAD purposes.

At least there's that. We really don't need plutonium falling off the backs of trucks or any weird accidents.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol come on mass buying avatars is a loving tradition and keeps this thing going.

It sucks sometimes but it'll keep this thing going forever to have these micro transactions available to purchase en masse and project a message.

I do lol at the idea of bourgeoisie tankies defending a literal fascist like doesn't this poo poo invalidate the tankie idea of papa Stalins communism.
..oh

Remember that 15 years before "Tankie" was coined, there was no shortage of western communists who spent a couple years saying we should leave Hitler alone and if anything the Polish had it coming amirite? When cornered, the story then was also being anti-war and not falling for Western propaganda, etc. That changed as suddenly as the America First Committee saying the same did, even if it happened on a different day.

History doesn't repeat itself, not really, but it sure likes to rhyme.

headspace
Apr 25, 2014

I know having two million people stream into your country can be unnerving and stressful, but I believe most Western European countries have issues with declining populations. I would think absorbing a bunch of well educated, culturally similar people is a boon long term.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Deteriorata posted:

:amen:

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I don't need to see the intelligence saying "Russia is trying to systematically exterminate its dissidents" when I can see Russia trying to exterminate its dissidents with my own two eyes.

Are the arrests cover for people that will be killed soon? There have been a lot of dissidents being arrested for openly protesting the war.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

headspace posted:

I know having two million people stream into your country can be unnerving and stressful, but I believe most Western European countries have issues with declining populations. I would think absorbing a bunch of well educated, culturally similar people is a boon long term.

Others believe so. The vid is a good pitch.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1501711400095436803?cxt=HHwWhsC-3fujk9cpAAAA

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

headspace posted:

Yes, that's why this has been a big change in Poland's acceptance of refugees.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

headspace posted:

In the long run, could defiantly if it's done well. Unfortunately often it's not. There shouldn't be much of a language barrier hopefully, and people should be able to find a good support network of other Ukraine's so that should hopefully make things easier.

In the short term however, that's a hell of lot of people and I really hope they're getting all the aid and assistance to make sure this won't end up to a hell of lot of people sleeping and starving in freezing streets. It's just such a large number of people to feed and house. Like it's doable, but it's also extremely easy to gently caress up, particularly as a lot of it seems to being done pretty ad hoc which means it will can be easy for people to not be able to access essentials even if they are technically there for them.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

mustard_tiger posted:

Does anyone have a link to the VDV music video with the new lyrics/translation below it talking about their failed air drops? I need a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSzAnNU4u28 This one?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

And let it remain so :utruck:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

..oh

Man, my current AV kicks rear end. It is the best tradition.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Are the arrests cover for people that will be killed soon? There have been a lot of dissidents being arrested for openly protesting the war.

No. They'll just get somewhere between a monetary fine and an arbitrarily long prison sentence, depending on the mood of the cops.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
https://www.indiatoday.in/world/russia-ukraine-war/story/google-trends-peek-russians-might-be-thinking-about-1920126-2022-03-03

"'Emigration' and 'citizenship' among the top searches in Russia amid Ukraine war"

Shocking.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Some fellow arrived at a number of 200,000 Russians leaving Russia. Not sure it's that many but those ordinary and without resources are going to find it really hard. They shouldn't, but I suspect they will.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fritz the Horse posted:

Is there a thread full of tankies in D&D? If so, I'd be happy to have a look and see if they're breaking any D&D rules. If it's elsewhere, take it up with the relevant mods/admins.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Young Freud posted:

For better or worse it would have been relatively hard to steal and sell nuclear materials on the black market. I assume. If nothing else their nuclear fleet still seems to be working and not pissing out radioactives sufficient to be tracked from space.

I could see it being a case where they would certainly have enough functional warheads to do total thermonuclear war but where there is difficulty being absolutely sure that a limited strike would be possible. I am not sure how many weapons Russia actually has.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
The daily mail is a complete rag but they aren't wrong here. Temps are dropping and the tanks are going to become even more uncomfortable, I doubt russia packed the troops a whole bunch of cold weather gear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10592463/Stranded-Russian-troops-face-dying-tanks-40-ton-iron-freezers-20C-cold-snap.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anubis posted:

The daily mail is a complete rag but they aren't wrong here. Temps are dropping and the tanks are going to become even more uncomfortable, I doubt russia packed the troops a whole bunch of cold weather gear.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10592463/Stranded-Russian-troops-face-dying-tanks-40-ton-iron-freezers-20C-cold-snap.html

Wasn't part of why Putin did this in the winter so that the ground would be frozen and the tanks wouldn't sink? I assume they would have thought of that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KillHour posted:

Wasn't part of why Putin did this in the winter so that the ground would be frozen and the tanks wouldn't sink? I assume they would have thought of that.

They also thought that everything would be going much quicker and their supply chain would actually work.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

They also thought they'd be in the city a week and a half ago, so it's anyone's guess what the hell they actually planned for at this point. I'd guess the latest groups sent in are at least not likely to freeze to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
-20c is easily cold enough for civilians without electricity to also be freezing. Even if it slows Russia down a bit, I don't feel it's something to celebrate :smith: