Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They did flip out. One of them became president
every president of the US from Clinton to now has been a boomer

except Biden, because he's two years too old to be a boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

[url=”https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/mar/09/ukraine-climate-scientist-russia-invasion-fossil-fuels"]‘This is a fossil fuel war’: Ukraine’s top climate scientist speaks out[/url]

quote:

“It’s a crude oversimplification to call this a fossil fuel war, that’s a little too glib,” said Jonathan Elkind, an expert in energy policy at Columbia University and a former energy adviser to Barack Obama’s administration.

Of course some Obama admin is a complete loving moron. For all this talk from both parties about "energy independence" they don't seem to care about it!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i'm glad that people here truly realize the magnitude of the compounding problems we face in the 21st century without devolving into accusations of malthusianism any more :unsmith:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

re: old growth forest chat, this is a good article that explains how we're managing forests around here. Basically every time it's cold the USFS is burning as many trees as loving possible as quickly as possible to try and reduce forest density

This style of forest management is going to spread everywhere sooner or later as things heat up more

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1501569390415810560

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Pryor on Fire posted:

re: old growth forest chat, this is a good article that explains how we're managing forests around here. Basically every time it's cold the USFS is burning as many trees as loving possible as quickly as possible to try and reduce forest density

This style of forest management is going to spread everywhere sooner or later as things heat up more

Problem: forest fires

Solution: get rid of forest

Can't fault the logic.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
At least everyone can be optimistic that at the first signs of a major food disruption countries all across the globe join together to immediately halt food exports

Wait what

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hubbert posted:

i'm glad that people here truly realize the magnitude of the compounding problems we face in the 21st century without devolving into accusations of malthusianism any more :unsmith:

It's because I'm posting less :unsmigghh:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Murphy Malthus was an optimist

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rectal Death Adept posted:

At least everyone can be optimistic that at the first signs of a major food disruption countries all across the globe join together to immediately halt food exports

Wait what

Based on the Ukraine situation, it seems like grain trading blocs are emerging. Better hope you're on the right side of the line or in a relatively self-sufficient country!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Pryor on Fire posted:

Isnt that just the after effect of logging? Logging takes wayyy more than prescribed burns do I believe? Also lol that they're just leaving the loving slash piles now, I've been seeing more and more everywhere. Dead rear end land

I was looking at oregon from Google earth, that poo poo used to have trees didnt it?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I was looking at oregon from Google earth, that poo poo used to have trees didnt it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

net work error posted:

Of course some Obama admin is a complete loving moron. For all this talk from both parties about "energy independence" they don't seem to care about it!

quote:

Before his service in the Obama Administration, he founded Eastlink Consulting, LLC where he guided corporate and non-profit clients on commercial energy projects in Europe and Eurasia, and he served as a non-resident senior fellow at the Brookings Institution, researching international energy security issues.

Let’s see what Eastlink Consulting is all about….

http://www.eastlink-consulting.com/projects/18/Melaka-LNG-Regasification-Unit/

http://www.eastlink-consulting.com/projects/19/Iraq-Crude-Oil-Export-Expansion-Project/

http://www.eastlink-consulting.com/projects/20/Tanzania-SPM-Replacement-Project/

http://www.eastlink-consulting.com/projects/11/Lekir-Bulk-Terminal-Jetty,-Malaysia./

http://www.eastlink-consulting.com/projects/10/Manjung-Power-Station,-Civil-works-Package,-Malaysia/

Ah well….

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Isnt that just the after effect of logging? Logging takes wayyy more than prescribed burns do I believe? Also lol that they're just leaving the loving slash piles now, I've been seeing more and more everywhere. Dead rear end land

there is almost zero logging here, all the lumber mills are hundreds of miles away so it's not worth the drive to make money

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yea I think all the trees are gone now. Almost, they still produce more softwood lumber and plywood than any other state

Harry Potter on Ice has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Mar 9, 2022

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I mean I've never met a logger or seen a truck with logs on it in all my life, I think that's more of a west coast thing. Pine sucks for most applications.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I mean I've never met a logger or seen a truck with logs on it in all my life, I think that's more of a west coast thing. Pine sucks for most applications.

The south East is filled with logging and paper product mills because that’s what you can use the lovely trees for

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Honestly can't tell if you're trolling lol. It's a good joke though because there arent many trees left!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

‘This is a fossil fuel war’: Ukraine’s top climate scientist speaks out

quote:

“We don’t have a strategic interest in reducing the global supply of energy,” Jen Psaki
The moment there's a hiccup they just say it out loud where anyone can hear to nothing but applause.

lol

lmao

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Honestly can't tell if you're trolling lol. It's a good joke though because there arent many trees left!

There is no logging. The forest service still cuts down and burns the trees as much as they can. This is the reality that is the future of many forests. Why do you think this is le epic troll? I am so confused.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Complications posted:

The moment there's a hiccup they just say it out loud where anyone can hear to nothing but applause.

lol

lmao

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

There is no logging. The forest service still cuts down and burns the trees as much as they can. This is the reality that is the future of many forests. Why do you think this is le epic troll? I am so confused.

The part where they logged 3.6 million bf in 2020. There are like 20 something mills still in oregon, but maybe you aren't there or something and talking about where you live? idgi

"According to the Oregon Employment Department’s covered employment statistics, forestry and logging’s 722 firms employed 9,041 workers statewide and added $589 million in payroll to Oregon’s economy in 2020."
and
"The largest industry in the forestry and logging subsector is logging, which totaled 600 reporting units and 4,744 employees in 2020."

"There was an average of 550,400 board feet harvested per logging worker in 1990. By 2020, that figure had risen to 764,100 board feet per worker." and it isn't slowing down lol "Outlook Employment Department projections show that the logging industry in Oregon is expected to lose about 100 jobs, or 2% between 2020 and 2030."

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

that picture is completely wrong though. the western peninsula of washington to this day still has old growth forest but that picture shows none at all in 1990

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Spergin Morlock posted:

that picture is completely wrong though. the western peninsula of washington to this day still has old growth forest but that picture shows none at all in 1990

It would only be like one or two pixels.

Valley of the giants and the hoh are some of the only old growth left. Most of what you see now that's huge was early logged 2nd growth. The loggers absolutely decimated Washington first off because our terrain was some of the most easily reached.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the one "good" thing about climate change is it confirms any suspicions I've had that the lifestyles that many of us have, especially in the west, are completely superfluous bullshit

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

welp, turns out this thread was right about the whole biosphere collapse thing all along, who would have guessed??? https://twitter.com/SciInsider/status/1501686711822209027?t=rykFc3NNeNdhUSLKxgO7qw&s=19

(article paywalled, link at https://archive.ph/RzIka)

as usual, don't read the comments lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silicone thrills posted:

It would only be like one or two pixels.

Valley of the giants and the hoh are some of the only old growth left. Most of what you see now that's huge was early logged 2nd growth. The loggers absolutely decimated Washington first off because our terrain was some of the most easily reached.

Correct.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1501785670200614916

Polyurethane (/ˌpɒliˈjʊərəˌθeɪn, -jʊəˈrɛθeɪn/;[1] often abbreviated PUR and PU) refers to a class of polymers composed of organic units joined by carbamate (urethane) links. In contrast to other common polymers such as polyethylene and polystyrene, polyurethane is produced from a wide range of starting materials (monomers) and is therefore a class of polymers, rather than a distinct compound. This chemical variety allows for polyurethanes with very different physical properties, leading to an equally wide range of different applications. These include: rigid and flexible foams, varnishes and coatings, adhesives, electrical potting compounds, and fibres such as spandex and PUL.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

There’s one stand of virgin forest in monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, which survived against all odds due to a surveying error, but it’s quickly succumbing to disease.

The primeval forest of West Virginia sounds so alien. No one will get to experience it again. This whole post was an excuse to post this quote from 1857. All of the laurel brakes were clearcut and as far as I can tell groupings of laurel this extensive don’t exist anywhere anymore.

quote:

The hunters had been dodging the laurel-brakes all day.......They had stories of men who had spent days in them, wandering in circles, and who had finally perished from starvation......Some of these brakes extend for many miles, and are so dense that even the deer cannot pass except by finding the thinnest places......Ascending the stump of a riven hemlock, a striking picture presented itself. The laurel waved up and down as far as the eye could reach, like a green lake, with either shore walled by the massive forest, and out of its bed rose singly or in groups of three or four, the tallest and most imposing of the fir species.

kreeningsons has issued a correction as of 06:54 on Mar 10, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
People used to describe salmon in rivers as packed so tightly they looked like cobblestones, and that just sounds like fake poo poo to our ears today

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

Warmer temperatures have already lowered yields of the globe’s big three staple crops—corn, wheat, and rice—by 5.3 percent since 1961, the authors find.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Mameluke posted:

People used to describe salmon in rivers as packed so tightly they looked like cobblestones, and that just sounds like fake poo poo to our ears today

flocks of passenger pigeons would darken the sky and turn day to night

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s horrifying what happened to the passenger pigeon.

Their extinction had profound effects on forest ecology, and not for the better.

If only we could bring them back.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
The ethics of destroying the world

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

kreeningsons posted:

There’s one stand of virgin forest in monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, which survived against all odds due to a surveying error, but it’s quickly succumbing to disease.

The primeval forest of West Virginia sounds so alien. No one will get to experience it again. This whole post was an excuse to post this quote from 1857. All of the laurel brakes were clearcut and as far as I can tell groupings of laurel this extensive don’t exist anywhere anymore.

i don't even know what this is supposed to look like its such an alien description

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
if u think about it a forest is just like a nice suburbian lawn on macro. but with the lawn u get to own it and be the personal curator and the only person who enjoys it. and thats better and more american. :)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

err posted:

The ethics of destroying the world

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

atelier morgan posted:

i don't even know what this is supposed to look like its such an alien description

“Laurel‐brakes” are thickets of very dense “mountain laurel” shrubs, which are not true laurels but the species Kalmia latifoli, related to rhododendron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBYEoSIm3M

These are true rhododendrons growing outside of their natural enviornment, but imagine a similar plant growing that thickly.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Platystemon posted:

It’s horrifying what happened to the passenger pigeon.

Their extinction had profound effects on forest ecology, and not for the better.

If only we could bring them back.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kreeningsons posted:

There’s one stand of virgin forest in monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, which survived against all odds due to a surveying error

quote:

Some years before the Civil War a speculating land company bought a tract of 69,000 acres [280 km2] on the slope of Shavers Mountain. Their tract fronted for about seven miles [11 km] along the eastern side of the mountain. To survey and mark their holdings the company hired a crew of men who must have found rough going in this wilderness. The crew did a good job, but its chief forgot one thing – the fact that a compass needle points to magnetic, not true north. In this area the angle of declination is about four degrees, a significant source of error on a seven-mile [11 km] front ... An experienced Virginia surveyor, in checking the data, discovered the error but said nothing about it. Presently, however, when the sale was being concluded and the deeds recorded, he brought the error to light, and under a sort of "doctrine of vacancy" claimed the wedge of land left by a corrected survey. His title was established, and he and his heirs found themselves owner of a seven-mile strip of forest, aggregating almost 900 acres [3.6 km2]. While timber above and below the wedge was cut, this narrow holding was undisturbed. Its thickest end, a fringe of tall spruces on the near horizon, is just east of Gaudineer Tower. From these trees came seed to produce a new forest, a happy result of a hundred-year-old mistake.

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I have some eastern white pine in my woods that are over 4 feet in diameter and I feel like its my duty to keep them safe