Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cthulu Carl posted:

"Full stock" is gonna be an issue because... Well, if you need that explained, congrats on coming out of that coma?

I've been ordering my paints from https://www.michtoy.com/ lately.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah Michigan Toy is probably your best bet, Miniatures Market sells both lines but their availability has always been spotty.

Vallejo paint is a lot easier to find in traditional hobby retailers but Citadel paints are only going to be at game stores.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I know people here like Michigan Toy Soldier. It's looking like the owner of Mich Toy harrased a woman worker and painting streamer to the point she quit working at the store. Some painters are dropping them as sponsors.

This is purportedly a run down of her experiences there. Content warning for sexual harassment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kFTkITo9fss1VESh7u7uzqlGH6iDnSeXtBeTs-dt5Ew/edit?usp=drivesdk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I recently stumbled upon https://www.gamersguildaz.com and would def recommend giving them a try. They have a really nicely stocked store (including harder to find stuff like scale 75 paints) and almost everything is discounted 10-15%. I worked with their customer service person on my first order because I realized I had forgotten to add a pot of Black Templar after checking out, and they were super responsive and easy to work with.

It seems they also have a GW clearance section with some steeper than normally allowed discounting on certain items. :ssh:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

I recently stumbled upon https://www.gamersguildaz.com and would def recommend giving them a try. They have a really nicely stocked store (including harder to find stuff like scale 75 paints) and almost everything is discounted 10-15%. I worked with their customer service person on my first order because I realized I had forgotten to add a pot of Black Templar after checking out, and they were super responsive and easy to work with.

It seems they also have a GW clearance section with some steeper than normally allowed discounting on certain items. :ssh:

Oh nice, this site has exactly what I need, thanks!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

berzerkmonkey posted:

Watering down metallics is going to cause them to separate, so you might want to look into metallics that are specifically designed for airbrushing. The Vallejo Metal Colors are supposed to be good - I picked up the aluminum and it brushes on like a dream, though I haven't tried it in my airbrush.

I airbrush with these. They're really good, totally recommened.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
My necroman here is surrounded by a swirl of smoke/mystic fire, but I'm completely unsure how to paint it.

The rest of the model still needs to be highlighted, cleaned up, eyes hosed up and painted over several times before giving up, etc, but I'd like to have an idea about the smoke/fire.

Any goonpinions? Thanks.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to incorporate Vallejo game inks into my painting but even when thinned, they go really dry and chunky almost instantly. I've had to start over several times and not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I just need to thin them way more?

I've been putting a dot of ink and a dot of Vallejo model air on a wet palette. Then I mix a drop or two of water into the paint and pull the ink and paint together slowly. It still goes chunky every time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I believe inks and washes behave differently in water and are not great when placed on a wet palette. I believe it is considered best practice to keep a separate dry palette available for inks, washes, metallics, and contrast paints. I imagine Brent from Goobertown could explain it better, but I think it might be going chunky because those two paints have different levels of hydrophobic affinity.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Beffer posted:

My necroman here is surrounded by a swirl of smoke/mystic fire, but I'm completely unsure how to paint it.

The rest of the model still needs to be highlighted, cleaned up, eyes hosed up and painted over several times before giving up, etc, but I'd like to have an idea about the smoke/fire.

Any goonpinions? Thanks.

Over-saturated reddish violet smoke to contrast with the desaturated green robe would look good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Trying out rusty metal and... I think it works? I don't like the bright saturated colors of the AoS Orruks, it doesn't feel like the old fantasy brutal orks.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
have some random stuff

10mm knights of the realm underway

the same knights but based on a stand:

trees!

the swirly tree is from here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/969983098/majestic-enchanted-trees-set-of-5-forest

the pine trees are no longer available where i got them from :(

10mm house

from here:
https://cromartyforge.gumroad.com/l/faqju

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think I have some sci-fi 15mm gifted to me and now I'm like "I should paint those because they will look as good as the above" :v:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

have some random stuff

10mm knights of the realm underway

the same knights but based on a stand:

trees!

the swirly tree is from here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/969983098/majestic-enchanted-trees-set-of-5-forest

the pine trees are no longer available where i got them from :(

10mm house

from here:
https://cromartyforge.gumroad.com/l/faqju

Your level of productivity and skill disgust me.

Well done.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drat those tiny knights are amazing

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Watering down metallics is going to cause them to separate, so you might want to look into metallics that are specifically designed for airbrushing. The Vallejo Metal Colors are supposed to be good - I picked up the aluminum and it brushes on like a dream, though I haven't tried it in my airbrush.

Where do you guys like to buy them? Mini Market seems out of stock of everything except "Jet Exhaust" and "Gold" which might be fine for necron base coating

(Not really concerned about my whole army matching with necrons tbqh. You could just argue they were stuck in the ground somewhere and the ground discolored the metal or whatever. Or, something with the waking-up process futz up and the colors changed from model to model)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn't get my Terminators or Captain painted due to painting furniture for my new daughter's room, however I did get this linocut of my Space Mans completed:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do you guys like to buy them?

Fantization has them in stock and I have bought from them before and had no issues.

https://www.fantization.com/Metal-Color-Singles-Vallejo.aspx

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

The Game Color Heavy ones were especially meant to be for GW - i got a set of them and on the back of the box was a guide to match the paints to the old Citadel Foundation paints.

I'm going to have to pick some of these up, I miss some of those and my old paints are getting low

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I didn't get my Terminators or Captain painted due to painting furniture for my new daughter's room, however I did get this linocut of my Space Mans completed:

Super cool. I did linocut stuff in middle school art and never really considered people would do it at home but obviously it makes sense.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Where do you guys like to buy them? Mini Market seems out of stock of everything except "Jet Exhaust" and "Gold" which might be fine for necron base coating

(Not really concerned about my whole army matching with necrons tbqh. You could just argue they were stuck in the ground somewhere and the ground discolored the metal or whatever. Or, something with the waking-up process futz up and the colors changed from model to model)

Fwiw the Metal Color line tints extremely well with acrylic ink. Either mix it in directly or spray on top and you can get a metallic of any colour you want.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

What putty do you guys use for holding small pieces/assemblies? I figured there'd be some type of hobby tack but I'm getting a lot of varying opinions on what to use.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Night Danger Moose posted:

What putty do you guys use for holding small pieces/assemblies? I figured there'd be some type of hobby tack but I'm getting a lot of varying opinions on what to use.

White tack/blu tack/poster putty works pretty much fine for most things. If thats not going to work for whatever reason I personally use a dot of superglue to glue the part to a thing temporarily then break it off when I'm done painting it. If its got an an entire side that doesnt need painting (or a raised peg for attachment to the figure) I glue that side to a craft stick or coffee stirrer. If that would make it awkward to paint (because I'll need almost 360 degree access to it) I glue it to a piece of paper clip stuck into a cork or pinned through a spare base. I guarantee if hobby tack exists its rebranded generic poster putty with a 500% mark up.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got some Gorilla brand sticky tak for when I really want to make sure something stays still

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I’ve advanced to a new level of painting a.k.a. rule of cool and what I have on hand. At first and I want to be frank the Citadel tutorials and also the one that Duncan does are fantastic, but I was taking a far to slavish approach to them. Like I felt if I used a different green instead of the green they said and even if I was happy with the results I’d still feel like I’ve screwed it up or it’s not done right.

Nope I’m past that; I did this in 20 minutes and I was really happy with it. I still have to apply some layer and maybe some gloss, but otherwise I’m thrilled with it. Also just felt good to paint again and I think one problem is I need to get a better wet palate because being able to switch back-and-forth between colors without having to re-open the pot and do this and that was so much easier.

Also chromed gun is :krad: I’m tempted to do some cold ones too because it’s the imperium, if it’s not in gold, it sucks. lol

Edit: yep Gold makes everything better.

Edit:2x Technical paints are also fun as hell and I want more of them. lol

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 12, 2022

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Holy poo poo this fucker is finally done.

I asked for some advice in this thread for this mini back in... October :v: I didn't literally spend 6 months working on it though, I just got distracted.

The glazing on the power sword is pretty rough, the robe is a bit meh, and this is very much Baby's First Primaris Captain, but I'm pretty proud of this dude!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That looks sick, I'm liking all the green on this page. I'm doing a lot of olive drab with hairspray chipping over a very rusty base this week when it's warmer out.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I believe inks and washes behave differently in water and are not great when placed on a wet palette.

Not sure about this. I added some water and retarder medium and it worked a lot better. I think it was just drying too fast on me and my brush was starting to carve into it. Thanks though!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was wondering does anyone have any thoughts and feedback on my post above? I just wanna know if it’s the right approach to be taking or if I’m potentially making a mistake.

That said an all chromed out guns look awesome along with the Aquila being in gold.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I was wondering does anyone have any thoughts and feedback on my post above? I just wanna know if it’s the right approach to be taking or if I’m potentially making a mistake.

That said an all chromed out guns look awesome along with the Aquila being in gold.

There is no painting police, so yes do what makes you feel good.
Also I greatly enjoy reading about your journey, it warms this old painters heart to see your enthusiasm and development.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Just go nuts. Doing whatever you think is cool, or fun, is a great way to get better a recognizing all kinds of color combinations, and I think that it's the best way to stay motivated.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It kind of goes without saying; Paint how you wanna paint, its a hobby not a job. If you use c'oat d'arms wizard blue instead of citadel macragge blue, by the time its been washed, highlighted, varnished and put in a unit with 9 other guys who you also used wizard blue on no-one will be able to tell the difference. Electric blue is electric blue, light grey is light grey, whatever. Use the closest match you have. Or dont. Maybe this unit wear red fatigues instead of green because reasons. Maybe in recognition of their heroic stand at the battle of whatever they have permission to have their weapon aquilas in copper, apart from Sgt Erasmus Kitbash who is using a captured ork melta pistol in his cybernetic hand which looks suspiciously like a Necron arm. Or maybe this unit are wearing pink and purple because you wanted to paint them this colour and you dont need to justify it. They're yours, and if you wanna paint them whatever, you absolutely can.

We're all painting toy soldiers here. No one is going to slap them out of your hands because you didnt stick to the GW recipe. Those are fine for those who want to use them, and a decent kind of starting point for someone who wants to replicate the official look as close as they can. But they are at the end of the day suggestions, and not only that they are suggestions from a company who want to sell you as many paints as they can. Sometimes when I'm painting figures I'll google them to see what other people have done but its only a) to steal colour scheme ideas when I'm drawing a blank on creativity, or b) to try and work out what I'm looking at sometimes ("is that bit there part of the tunic or trousers? Or possibly a pouch which should be the same colour as the belt?" or "Ohhhhh, thats horns, not a weird bit of hair!" or whatever). I then just do the best I can with the paints I have. The lighting of the photograph I'm looking at probably makes a bigger difference to the final product that exactly which brand of light tan paint I'm using to paint blonde hair.

And also if it helps; You arent the only person to feel like this, I've made almost this exact post before.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks everyone I really appreciate it and I have to say this method of painting is so much better than stop and starting tutorials to try and figure out the colors. I’ve made more progress in just a day and a half than I previously had when painting. It’s actually pretty drat fun and not as stressful as before.

I think I might even be able to finish up this tank tonight but that’s also because the tank can be fairly simple.

I really do appreciate how helpful everyone’s been with my numerous and constant question.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So this guy took me a while!

I started off intending to just put together a Hellblaster from the Exorcists Chapter...

Then on a whim I decided to kitbash Tigurius and the firstborn Librarian together to make an Exorcist Chief Librarian for my Watch Fortress.

Almost two weeks later:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AndyElusive posted:

So this guy took me a while!

I started off intending to just put together a Hellblaster from the Exorcists Chapter...

Then on a whim I decided to kitbash Tigurius and the firstborn Librarian together to make an Exorcist Chief Librarian for my Watch Fortress.

You chose... wisely. That's a fantastic kitbash.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I really do appreciate how helpful everyone’s been with my numerous and constant question.

I can't speak for everyone, but your journey has been a pleasant reminder of my own introduction to miniatures wargaming and I'm 100% here for it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

moths posted:

I can't speak for everyone, but your journey has been a pleasant reminder of my own introduction to miniatures wargaming and I'm 100% here for it.

That is so nice of you. Thank you very much. I’m happy I can impart some enjoyment from my attempts at learning to paint.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

mllaneza posted:

You chose... wisely. That's a fantastic kitbash.

Thanks, I tried to Google it to find reference to it being done before so I could figure out the best way to bash them together but surprisingly no pics came up. So either no one's taking photos or this is the first time these Librarians have been fused together.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Can you prime with just regular-rear end paints and an airbrush?

I'm finally getting around to painting my kill team terrain and I finally got to try airbrushing, which was an amazing experience, and I'm wondering if I can skip the rattlecan portion of my terrain.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I'm finally getting around to painting my kill team terrain and I finally got to try airbrushing, which was an amazing experience, and I'm wondering if I can skip the rattlecan portion of my terrain.

I would not, assuming the terrain is stuff like Sector Imperalis or whatever. Primers form a chemical bond and have additives that allow the surface to have "tooth", which allows the normal paints which attach via mechanical bond to attach well. That advice is mostly for miniatures and plastic terrain though. The terrain itself may be a naturally porous material and have plenty of "tooth" pre-existing and as such would not need to be primed, like bark or cork or whatever.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Airbrush primer like this is great, though the airbrush is a bit slower than rattlecan https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/surface-primer-en/

Just make sure you varnish your terrain at the end to make it more scratch resistant

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do you guys set pigments?

Seems like varnish causes the pigments to change their textures if you try to add some dusty aspects to tires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How do you guys set pigments?

Seems like varnish causes the pigments to change their textures if you try to add some dusty aspects to tires?
I work some on, fix it with MIG pigment fixer, and dust on some more as it dries. Then I'll do it again after I varnish if if think it needs more.
You need to use a lot more than what you think is appropriate if you're going to varnish it, and I believe that you can use alcohol as a fixer, but you should google that.
Don't brush the fixer on, dip the brush and touch the mini with the drop so it spreads via capillary action.