Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Instead of Superman fighting a neverending legion of low-level minions, go the opposite route and make Shadow of the Colossus but with Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Like with Comet the Super-Horse?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy didn't do so well in sales according to Square Enix so we probably won't be seeing a sequel.

Avengers really hosed it over it seems. That and only playing as Quill. I still loved it though!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is it that it didn't sell well or that se expected it to sell a billion copies and cancelled it when it didn't like tomb raider and deus ex

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Probably a bit of both, they seem to have ludicrous expectations of their games sales but also GoTG could have sold disappointingly even for a realistic expectation. I think in the same thing they did say they were going to try a long tail approach to it's sales which is probably just putting a bit of polish on it but I dunno, it could do well in the long term or not.

It's a shame if that team doesn't get to make another one but also, not every thing has to have a sequel, it told a decent, full story that had an ending (I don't actually remember if it did a sequel hook tbh, other than all the "Thanos is still alive and out there" stuff which they did throughout) so if it doesn't, ah well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently Guardians of the Galaxy didn't do so well in sales according to Square Enix so we probably won't be seeing a sequel.

Avengers really hosed it over it seems. That and only playing as Quill. I still loved it though!

I think the marketing did it no favours either. I liked the game a lot once I got around to it, but I never would've touched it if I only had the trailers to go off of.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Probably means Marvel is concerned. They want the same thing in games that they have with the MCU but so far that isn't happening. Spider-Man and Wolverine are in good hands but if Avengers and GotG weren't home runs then that's gotta be worrisome. Puts more pressure on Midnight Sons coming out this year.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disney are known for being the worst people to have a license for too. They regularly cancel successful games on a whim because they've decided to reorganize their games licensing for the 3rd time in 10 years.

site posted:

Is it that it didn't sell well or that se expected it to sell a billion copies and cancelled it when it didn't like tomb raider and deus ex

Tomb Raider was so dumb. They gave an exclusive contract to the 3rd place console nobody outside the US buys, and were surprised when the game didn't do well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure if Square Enix's expectations is a simple flowchart saying "is it pulling Final Fantasy numbers? If yes then good, if no then its a disappointment."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish it would get a sequel, but if not, at least it told a complete story.

Hopefully the team who made it can make another name, even if not a sequel.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Guardians was so good that it never even bothered me that nobody ever shut the gently caress up for fiver seconds, which is usually a pretty big negative for me in a video game unless it stars a Spider-Man

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm the one crazy person who hates the GotG game and nobody shutting the gently caress up for five seconds is a big part. (the other part is them not shutting the gently caress up about nagging at me whenever i move 2 feet away from the critical path to explore, and those few but not few enough times where you just gotta rub your face against the end of the current map to find the squeeze-through) Game's pretty and fine, but not enough to overcome its flaws for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The problem I had with the dialogue is that it gets cut off way too much. Like by mid-game I was walking at a snail's pace and stopping every once in a while as teammates were talking because if I crossed some kind of invisible threshold in a level they'd get interrupted by some new dialogue about what's up ahead.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A few times a dialogue would get kinda lost in the mix so they'd start talking about a setpiece we did like four minutes ago after finishing about something more recent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the story and characters, but have found the moment to moment gameplay not very fun, and it's really put me off playing more.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
GotG is coming to Game Pass next week, fyi, so a lot more of us will get to play it. Including me.

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1498660298831532032

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I keep buying games on sale that go onto gamepass before I can play them :negative:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Barry Convex posted:

GotG is coming to Game Pass next week, fyi, so a lot more of us will get to play it. Including me.

It's quite good. The whole team get some amazing moments. Drax in particular.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm not all the way through but I kind of wish the game would just pause when I'm selecting all the Guardians' actions because sometimes there's a lot of poo poo going down and there's a lot of abilities and I just can't think that fast with my dumb brain so I end up getting hit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

I'm not all the way through but I kind of wish the game would just pause when I'm selecting all the Guardians' actions because sometimes there's a lot of poo poo going down and there's a lot of abilities and I just can't think that fast with my dumb brain so I end up getting hit.

You can set the level of "Guardian mode" slow-down in the settings. I had it set to full stop because half the time I wasn't sure what stuff would still be on cooldown.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this technically counts for this thread, right? Not too familiar with the property but looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WH_vvwmO4

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

You can set the level of "Guardian mode" slow-down in the settings. I had it set to full stop because half the time I wasn't sure what stuff would still be on cooldown.

Oh poo poo, I learned something today! I might jump back in to that this afternoon then

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Really helps with targeting because if you've got like 4 mooks in the middle distance but a high priority enemy mixed in with them you want to be able to target that enemy specifically for certain attacks. And that's tough if they're all still moving and you're still in danger from attacks.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Gotham Knights in October. Hopefully we get new gameplay footage soon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Also set your damage to high. Makes everything feel normal instead of fighting through HP sponges

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Oh poo poo, I learned something today! I might jump back in to that this afternoon then

Guardians has a lot of great accessibility options. You can also auto-win QTEs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Barry Convex posted:

this technically counts for this thread, right? Not too familiar with the property but looks promising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7WH_vvwmO4

It should do. It looks marvelous.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dawgstar posted:

I really love that new games respect us old people with all their difficulty options. Back in the NES days you were shamed for playing Easy Mode with screens like "Nice job but to see the real ending beat the game on Hard Mode!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Auto-win QTEs for me is not even about being one of the old-timers, I just have never liked them. Would much rather see a neat cutscene play out. I've never been watching an action movie thinking hey, wouldn't it be better if this movie kept pausing to flash a bunch of Fisher-Price letters all over the screen?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

By far my favorite of the options (I actually played without it almost the entire time but beefed the one at the very very end)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is it weird that I am more looking forwards to Gotham Knights instead of suicide squad? Even tho I loved the Gunn movie/tv series

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, the Gotham Knights game looks better.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Which is impressive because Gotham Knights kinda looked like poo poo last time they showed it off.

I suspect we might be getting some wild behind the scenes stories from these games eventually.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Gotham Knights looks like a worse version of the Arkham games, and Suicide Squad looks like a slightly better version of Sunset Overdrive

I bet the numbers would show that people are a lot more excited for the former than the latter

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arkham was multiplatform so that would make sense. Sunset Overdrive looked so rad to me at the time, and probably to others, but I didn't have an Xbox.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sunset Overdrive is high praise. If Suicide Squad reached close to that, I'd be happy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sunset Overdrive was the closest thing we got to a new Jet Set Radio game since the dreamcast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Soonmot posted:

Sunset Overdrive was the closest thing we got to a new Jet Set Radio game since the dreamcast.

You know there was a direct sequel to Jet Set Radio, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sunset Overdrive was very fun to play but very irritating to listen to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

You know there was a direct sequel to Jet Set Radio, right?

Yeah Jet Set Radio Future, unless there was a thirds game I don't know about. Was that not on Dreamcast too?