Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Payndz posted:

Watched a video the other day that detailed (well enough, to my reading) Putin's motivations and objectives in invading Ukraine, and one was to restore a major water supply to Crimea that after its annexation the Ukrainians had, entirely reasonably, dammed up. I'm curious if the Russians have destroyed the dam yet - anyone know?

The governor of occupied Crimea announced that the dam is under the control of RUssian troops a few days into the invasion

I looked it up and a voice of america based report says that they'll need two weeks from that to restore the water supply: https://ru.krymr.com/a/podryv-damby-pirakhod-pobednyye-nastroyeniya-aksenova/31734075.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Threadkiller Dog posted:

A lot of europeans have visited Ukraine or worked with Ukrainians and companies have offices there. It's not like some faraway weird place. They are probably more real people [tm] to us than Russians thats for sure.

Aren't Kiev and Odessa reasonably popular holiday destinations?

Payndz posted:

Watched a video the other day that detailed (well enough, to my reading) Putin's motivations and objectives in invading Ukraine, and one was to restore a major water supply to Crimea that after its annexation the Ukrainians had, entirely reasonably, dammed up. I'm curious if the Russians have destroyed the dam yet - anyone know?

There wasn't much too it, and they've controlled that area for a while now so I assume so unless there needs to be work done on the dry section of the canal after 8 years of not being used.

You can see it here: https://goo.gl/maps/PjouVHFNkS36mY4c8

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Drove from Warsaw to Berlin yesterday evening. Constant stream of Ukrainian cars. Interesting to see both super luxury SUVs with higher-upper class families mixed with relatively poorer folks in Ladas and busses. Most of the traffic seems to dissipate across Poland - there’s a lot of Ukrainians heading further west but a cursory glance confirms Poland is taking most of these people on. It has to be said that adaptation for Ukrainians is easier by a factor in Poland than in western countries both due to the culture and language, even if they’re not as close as people in the West think, I presume.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

e: I presume one of the many people in this thread who actually speaks Russian will tell me how badly I've lept to conclusions after pulling one word out of that entire intercept.

You have leapt far ahead indeed. It's a calm conversation, and the supposed acting commander, I guess, says that the head of the column "got ambushed by artillery, tanks, and drones, Bayraktars I think".

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Things are going strange here. My Russian wife has been called a fascist the other day for buying a Russian made handbag.
Meanwhile a Hungarian and an Ukrainian dude got into a fistfight at a gas station, because the Hungarian painted a white Z on his car.

People are stupid.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Well I heard the world Bayraktar at the end.

I wonder if the Russians are starting to get this war's version of 'Tiger fever': assuming that every missile strike that hits a vehicle is a Bayraktar and they can't possibly engage even though the Ukranians only have a handful of the things and the odds are low.

e: I presume one of the many people in this thread who actually speaks Russian will tell me how badly I've lept to conclusions after pulling one word out of that entire intercept.

They lose four tanks, the TB2 carries 4 missiles and the tanks hit are mostly in the middle of the group, suggesting they could more easily have been hit from the sky. The first hit on the road was maybe the trigger as to why the spaced out convoy groups up in the relative cover of the village, then the second tank that got hit was probably the commanders or something because they had persons walking around it that looked to have been asking around in the village. Then the third and fourth tank got lit up and the whole convoy just turned heel and left.

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 10, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/brycewilsonau/status/1501637114345185282?s=21

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Aren't Kiev and Odessa reasonably popular holiday destinations?

Yep it started with Romania and Bulgaria and then Ukraine and now the bougies are even hitting Albania and Tirana over the summer. At least one colleague had to cancel his Kiev vacation this year (which is certainly a reasonable course of action).

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Ukrainian dude got into a fistfight at a gas station, because the Hungarian painted a white Z on his car.

:popeye: that's quite a bold move in Europe outside Russia. I imagine that would be the surest way to get every window of your car smashed in.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

:popeye: that's quite a bold move in Europe outside Russia. I imagine that would be the surest way to get every window of your car smashed in.

OMG, you're right!

*goes to paint a white Z on the Head of HR's car*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

This is Hungary, dude is probably going to get a medal.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Serious question - how long until there's a major rout or mass surrender? Seems like Russian morale is hosed and they are getting outgunned and possibly outnumbered in some areas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Payndz posted:

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I think they destroyed or captured it pretty early on

The initial claim, from February 24, was fake and showed an entirely different dam (there was an explosion photo for a sandbag barricade made by farmers in like 2014). As of March 4, however, we have photos of water flowing through the channel towards Crimea, so the supply has indeed been restored.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

With the reports of the Russian generals being fired for not correctly following the invasion plans - do we even know if these are the generals that sent troops in to get stuck in traffic jams? Or were those the ones following the plan and the guys who got fired are the ones who realised the plan was a mess and held their forces back?

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1501864565868535815

*In idiot american politics opinions guy voice*: ukrainians should negotiate with these good faith folks who just have some security concerns about NATO on their borders and surrender since the west isn't going to do anything

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Chalks posted:

With the reports of the Russian generals being fired for not correctly following the invasion plans - do we even know if these are the generals that sent troops in to get stuck in traffic jams? Or were those the ones following the plan and the guys who got fired are the ones who realised the plan was a mess and held their forces back?

This is most certainly classified information that the public would get through leaks and most certainly not soon, if ever

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Things are going strange here. My Russian wife has been called a fascist the other day for buying a Russian made handbag.
Meanwhile a Hungarian and an Ukrainian dude got into a fistfight at a gas station, because the Hungarian painted a white Z on his car.

People are stupid.

We’re about to literally put to court trial people with zwastika on their cars. Which is good, if you ask me.

General xenophobia against local Russian speakers is on the rise here too, unfortunately but predictably.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hot take: one of the problems of training your army around a very limited number of tactical maneuvers and not particularly incentivising low level initiative is that operational planning is very effective, but when things start to go wrong or your troops encounter a scenario that's not in the rulebook then things go very wrong very quickly and you have to escalate quite highly to fix the problem.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chalks posted:

There’s literally no confirmation that they’ve been fired, or that anyone at all has been fired.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Alchenar posted:

Hot take: one of the problems of training your army around a very limited number of tactical maneuvers and not particularly incentivising low level initiative is that operational planning is very effective, but when things start to go wrong or your troops encounter a scenario that's not in the rulebook then things go very wrong very quickly and you have to escalate quite highly to fix the problem.

I think the problem is almost worse, it's like they can't coordinate any combination of infantry, armor, artillery and air power at any level when that's been the crux of modern warfare since... late WWI. It's just shelling here, tanks there, bomb random place away from everyone else, infantry stay in their APC by themselves and get roasted by RPGs. Unsupported airborne drops closer to enemy reserves than your own axis of attack all die alone. Bigger and newer air force somehow can't control the airspace or even seem to have much impact in general.

Ukraine isn't coasting to a win like the memes make it look like, they are in an incredibly dangerous position, but the Russian military just seems real bad at real war at every level.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Yep it started with Romania and Bulgaria and then Ukraine and now the bougies are even hitting Albania and Tirana over the summer. At least one colleague had to cancel his Kiev vacation this year (which is certainly a reasonable course of action).

bougies? There is a reason those places are seeing more tourists, it is affordable for the everyday European working man and his family. Not to mention popular places in Western Europe are just swamped with tourists during the high season.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

sean10mm posted:

Ukraine isn't coasting to a win like the memes make it look like, they are in an incredibly dangerous position, but the Russian military just seems real bad at real war at every level.

This bit from Alexander Nevzorov a year ago is eerily prescient, the image of someone pretending to be a piano virtuoso and everyone buying into it until an actual piano is put under his fingers is striking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/taood7/uncanny_predictions_of_ukraines_war_from_april/

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Chalks posted:

Considering that they declared an investigation into who allowed conscripts to be deployed to Ukraine, it seems pretty likely that the guys who failed the expectations of their superios will be nailed to the wall with this particular charge. So I'd wager we will find out the names but the public reason for their ousting will be different from reality.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Dick Ripple posted:

bougies? There is a reason those places are seeing more tourists, it is affordable for the everyday European working man and his family. Not to mention popular places in Western Europe are just swamped with tourists during the high season.

Sorry, its just that all the ones I know who have traveled to those countries are lower-upper-middle class families who want to travel somewhere different. But it being cheap is probably an incentive too for them. You are probably right that for every one of those there are many more for whom its just makes economic sense.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I think the problem is almost worse, it's like they can't coordinate any combination of infantry, armor, artillery and air power at any level when that's been the crux of modern warfare since... late WWI. It's just shelling here, tanks there, bomb random place away from everyone else, infantry stay in their APC by themselves and get roasted by RPGs. Unsupported airborne drops closer to enemy reserves than your own axis of attack all die alone. Bigger and newer air force somehow can't control the airspace or even seem to have much impact in general.

And even if they do win, the human and material costs are going to be unfathomable.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

CeeJee posted:

This bit from Alexander Nevzorov a year ago is eerily prescient, the image of someone pretending to be a piano virtuoso and everyone buying into it until an actual piano is put under his fingers is striking.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/taood7/uncanny_predictions_of_ukraines_war_from_april/

He is spot on everything.. the ending sounds just a little but iffy though :)
Amazing foresight

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

CeeJee posted:

It is morbidly hillarious that inside Russia the cranks and angry theatrical weirdos like Nevzorov (a fascinating person, really, and, notably, a veteran ex-propagandist) were right and every fence-sitting liberal is now literally out of job.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Somaen posted:

https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1501864565868535815

*In idiot american politics opinions guy voice*: ukrainians should negotiate with these good faith folks who just have some security concerns about NATO on their borders and surrender since the west isn't going to do anything

What the gently caress do they expect to gain from dribbling so much bullshit? Do they even believe it themselves?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CeeJee posted:

He had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Propaganda, but will be interesting to see if more neutral sources pick this up and see if it has legs:

https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1501862686396661764

e: like the most obvious question is 'is this actually an unusual number of places to be newly up for sale in an area this large and populated?'

Seems like bullshit to me. It's not like there's any scenario where Russia cedes Crimea, right? Isn't it like the lowest hanging fruit of all possible Ukrainian concessions in a negotiated settlement with Russia?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gay picnic defence posted:

What the gently caress do they expect to gain from dribbling so much bullshit? Do they even believe it themselves?

going by other tweets,

quote:

"Then he added: “I went through the Afghan war... And I wish all men to go through it. A man is defined by deeds, not words. And if I wear a candibober on my head, this does not mean that I am a woman or a ballerina."

So this appears to be the equivalent of him saying "you have yet to even see our real power" / "you haven't even unlocked our final form" basically

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

TheRat posted:

He had me in the first half, not gonna lie.

Yeah, it's the point where he goes from talking about the current situation to making wild predictions about what the consequences will be where it goes a bit wild. He clearly had an extremely good idea about the state of the Russian military and their approach to this war.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

Seems like bullshit to me. It's not like there's any scenario where Russia cedes Crimea, right? Isn't it like the lowest hanging fruit of all possible Ukrainian concessions in a negotiated settlement with Russia?

I bet if you could map home sales to senior officials and their families across Russia you'd see much of the same thing. If you're wealthy and can see through the propaganda your family is going to be trying to get out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chalks posted:

I bet if you could map home sales to senior officials and their families across Russia you'd see much of the same thing. If you're wealthy and can see through the propaganda your family is going to be trying to get out.

Possibly, but that just looks like someone did a google maps search for "apartments crimea" and posted the results.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Agreed, the European Broadcasting Union is the map of REAL Europe.

This should be made into a ¡Jeb! meme but with Ursula von der Leyen laughing instead

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

People are stupid.

I think punching Nazis is good and cool

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PerilPastry posted:

I guess if Russia keeps suiciding its army into Ukraine it's theoretically possible that they lose it all, then get driven back out of Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian army then pushes them out of the Donbas en Crimea as well.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Chalks posted:

Oh for sure! There are a ton of anecdotal reports about exactly that, which makes zeroing in on the Crimea kinda weird imo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who the hell is buying apartments in Crimea right now? I know it's not an artillery hotspot right this minute, but you'd need both an appetite for financial risk and a non-rouble denominated source of financing for that to make sense, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

ronya posted:

ik edit: :nws: drone bombing tank convoy
https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1501836288319762436

Appears to be right here: 50.58503875014653, 30.83814169749679

A whole convoy of tanks just rolling up into a suburban village. The first few get blown up and the rest have to backtrack

Looking at the map, one doubts that the Russians are patrolling every suburb they're passing by either - there's a lot of neighbourhoods ~500m off the main highway

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

They are still moving around like they are in a parade or some poo poo. If Ukrainians had artillery available and the tanks haven't been in the middle of the town they would have completely destroyed that convoy. Just incredible