Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

JBP posted:

Why would they, there are plenty of not quite as good spots that might cost you slightly more time.

I dunno, for the sheer cruelty of it?

There are some things like the exploit to kill the boss of that area that feels like the kind of thing they'd patch (seeing as it's a major boss), but I just dunno how strict From are for exp farming stuff.

That being said, maybe I'm reading into it a bit much, but the grace locations in relation to the random ball appearing and the cliff face to let you snipe aggro the giant chicken to its death almost feel deliberately placed.

Like they're using the same mechanic to gain runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

It was mentioned in a tips video a while back but for horseback fights if you two hand your weapon before getting on your horse it gives you the two handed damage bonus apparently. Also, getting on and off your horse gives you immunity frames (dismounting to iframe attacks is really useful).

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Quinch posted:

It was mentioned in a tips video a while back but for horseback fights if you two hand your weapon before getting on your horse it gives you the two handed damage bonus apparently. Also, getting on and off your horse gives you immunity frames (dismounting to iframe attacks is really useful).

Indeed. And it's particularly noticeable if you wield a weapon without the STR requirements to one-hand. If for some reason you were one-handing when you mounted up, it's going to be rough and you'll wonder why the mobs in this area are so tanky all of a sudden...

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
If anyone wants to try this, I won't get to until the weekend: Cipher Pata is buffable. That means you can do the following:
1. Faith-dumped Cipher Pata build
2. Order's Blade
3. Faith Canvas Talisman
4. Holy damage boosting physick and sacred scorpion charm

Plus a few non-holy damage related buffs just because you got the loads-of-faith already.

The reason this might be neat is that Cipher Pata has decent attack speed, and stacking holy damage onto weapon holy damage means the whole thing undergoes only a single negation/defense event in the calculations, making the output FAR better than split damage solutions. It might not be a PvE powerhouse due to holy resists, but depending on what you're fighting it should be pretty fun. PvP is a bit busted right now, but of the things that won't get patched out, this might be pretty nice.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

If anyone wants to try this, I won't get to until the weekend: Cipher Pata is buffable. That means you can do the following:
1. Faith-dumped Cipher Pata build
2. Order's Blade
3. Faith Canvas Talisman
4. Holy damage boosting physick and sacred scorpion charm

Plus a few non-holy damage related buffs just because you got the loads-of-faith already.

The reason this might be neat is that Cipher Pata has decent attack speed, and stacking holy damage onto weapon holy damage means the whole thing undergoes only a single negation/defense event in the calculations, making the output FAR better than split damage solutions. It might not be a PvE powerhouse due to holy resists, but depending on what you're fighting it should be pretty fun. PvP is a bit busted right now, but of the things that won't get patched out, this might be pretty nice.

This was actually a plan for a faith build of mine! Eventually planning to swap to Dual Coded Swords if I liked the moveset.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

I just assumed the weren’t buffable! Time to crack out the holy wolverine claws.

Wondering how funny it would be to do a respec and just ignore str/dex and slap everything into an obscene amount of faith.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

morestuff posted:

Are any builds considered dead ends for the endgame content? I keep expecting to run into a wall with my tanky no-magic oaf but it hasn’t happened yet

i played a tanky no magic oaf and finished the game. upgrade a faster weapon as a backup if youre using a big one because some bosses are fast and a huge pain in the rear end to hit. also keeping a bow as a ranged option helps alot for getting through some areas.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I just assumed the weren’t buffable! Time to crack out the holy wolverine claws.

Wondering how funny it would be to do a respec and just ignore str/dex and slap everything into an obscene amount of faith.

That's low key my build.

I have no problems with any content so far.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FishMcCool posted:

Indeed. And it's particularly noticeable if you wield a weapon without the STR requirements to one-hand. If for some reason you were one-handing when you mounted up, it's going to be rough and you'll wonder why the mobs in this area are so tanky all of a sudden...

Unfortunately it goes back to 1h if you switch weapons while mounted up. So if you have a weapon that you only have the str to two-hand, but you also keep a bow or casting tool or something in the same hand, you can't switch to it while riding your horse. You have to get off, 2h it, then get back on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I actually have a weird question about fist weapons. I know you just dupe them if you 2H them in this game: but can you power stance them if you have two?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kin posted:

Also, are there soft/hard caps in this for each stat?

Vigor is extremely good until 40, then becomes "pretty good" until 60, then drops off a cliff.

Mind is bad gains per level up to 20, then pretty good all the way up to the softcap at 60. But a fully upgraded flask restores 220fp which is exactly 40 mind, so you don't want to really go too much higher than that.

Str/Dex seem to scale all the way to 60 or 80 or some bullshit for appropriately-infused weapons. Unlike previous Souls games, the 2h bonus can bring your strength temporarily above 99, so you can still benefit from strength levels past 66 when using a 2h weapon.

Int and Fth softcap at 80 as well for casting, but softcap at just 50 for weapon scaling.

IDK about arcane and endurance.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 10, 2022

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I was watching a video about a Fire's Deadly Sin bleed build and thought it'd be really fun to rig that up from the start of the game. Routed the whole thing, including boosting a rot dog to +5 and getting all the prep in. Watched as tree sentinel 2.0 slowly died.

Then realized I'm a moron and the capital has seals on the door until you get the runes. No current exploit to get in. :negative:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i am trying to gently caress around and make a death sorcery build work and unfortunately these spells seem like dogshit, which sucks because they're cool

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Malenia...is a bit much. I got absolutely blown up 6 times in a row (after doing surprisingly well on my first attempt, as is tradition) and then she ate poo poo to me and my mimic. I could've practiced her more and had more fun soloing but her gimmick is highly demoralizing and demands more perfection than I can be arsed to achieve.

I had 47% physical reduction and 2k health and her grab did more than half my health. I assume casters even with 40 vigor can get oneshot by at least 2 of her attacks.

The upgraded physical damage reduction talisman is in her area so I'd recommend anyone who haven't beat her to grab that.

She's designed well but overtuned imo. Tune her a bit and she could be Lady Maria but actually a challenge.

Also, having her line when you die be her boss name makes her sound like a Pokémon.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 10, 2022

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yessssss after all my complaining I finally beat Radahn. Did it in a fight where I barely contributed any damage, but did use rotten breath twice and then hit him with the killing blow at the end with my sorcery. Finally.

Is rotten breath/other incantations good enough to keep my 15 faith and 12 arcane or would I be better off respecing those points into something more relevant to being a sorcerer?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bit of a weird thing going on that I can't figure out. I've got 76 FP, meaning I should be able use to Rotten Breath twice on a full bar as it's 36 FP to use.

Except... sometimes I can't. 1/10 times the 'no FP' animation will play on the second activation and nothing happens. I'm not changing my armor/accessories//talismans/rune arcs etc and am going from a full respawn at a Site of Grace. Is there some variable to how much spells cost?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Necrothatcher posted:

Bit of a weird thing going on that I can't figure out. I've got 76 FP, meaning I should be able use to Rotten Breath twice on a full bar as it's 36 FP to use.

Except... sometimes I can't. 1/10 times the 'no FP' animation will play on the second activation and nothing happens. I'm not changing my armor/accessories//talismans/rune arcs etc and am going from a full respawn at a Site of Grace. Is there some variable to how much spells cost?

You can hold the button to keep breathing for a few extra ticks at the cost of ~6ish fp per tick. That's what the extra (6) bit in the fp cost means.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

Hot take on the lore Grace and the golden light are just nanobots, god is a space alien who was trying to genetically modify beast/human hybrids and in the process they hosed up death, so they got mad and tried to erase their mistake by flinging a big space rock at the planet and destroying it. But since death is all hosed up the beings kept living on as pieces of their hosed up planet hurtled through space. Ranni is a robot. :colbert:

I dont know if nanobots, but is clear from the ice ara that they used the death plage to genocide giants and everything in there. Trees and normal fauna directly transcended to ghost, and the husk of the giants are partially cover in snow of a nuclear fantasy winter.
It tells a tale of not just wars, but people nuking entire species.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man for NG+ you keep your map AND locations in said map.

EDIT: oh poo poo you also keep your horse and summon bell you straight up can start and do whatever.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 10, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pokie posted:

good luck with final boss; it made me respec after 5 hours of misery when i got it to <20% hp only 2-3 times.

I literally took the final boss down as a pure strength colossal sword + greatshield dude in like 5 tries. It really is not that bad and it sounds like you got tilted more and just spent 5 hours crashing against a wall doing something that was not working. Sorry, bud.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I feel like 100% I'm being "That girl" so sorry in advance, but I have rolled between 15 - 20 vigor the entire game almost and I don't think I've hit a single roadblock that wasn't my fault.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 10, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm trying to optimize my currently 40 STR/40 FTH build after finding out that I could potentially put points into DEX and transition into quality at around SL130 or so. The thing is, I'm not sure if weapon buffs and self buffs (Electrify Armament and Golden Vow are my usuals) scale off FTH well enough to merit boosting it past their min. reqs (25 for Golden Vow). I was thinking of respeccing from 40 FTH to 25 FTH and then putting the 15 points into DEX and start pumping that up for a quality build.

Is this a good idea? Admittedly I like Lightning Spear but I don't really use it often, and I noticed that Sacred/Lightning affinities for weapons still get hit too hard by split damage.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is there any limits on summoning in people when using a password? Like can I go in an help someone much lower level?

And along similar lines would it be possible for someone high level to pass items down. I was hoping to pass the drop level increase talisman to my low level character.

edit: also yeah the final boss is a pain in the rear end as melee but deffo not that bad. I got it eventually. Hell I got it on a run where I burnt most of my flasks on phase 1 being an idiot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7073294298565020974

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've reached Altus Plateau and I'm wondering if I missed the way to get to The eastern section of Nokron/Soifra River - I did the witch's questline, found the quest item, (and followed that through to southern Liurnia) and fought the gargoyle pair, as well, I also fought two ancestral beasts - I thought I explored the place pretty well, as well as most of Caelid/Limgrave/Liurnia - the Bellfrey gets me to that side of the map, but not connected to anything else. Is entry post Altus? Or did I just miss something?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Ripped through that cave of crystal people only to come to that Crystalianananaa boss that was ineffective to everything I have. I hope I can whip it real good.

...So I saw you have to do three of these motherfuckers at once?!?!

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 10, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oxyclean posted:

I've reached Altus Plateau and I'm wondering if I missed the way to get to The eastern section of Nokron/Soifra River - I did the witch's questline, found the quest item, (and followed that through to southern Liurnia) and fought the gargoyle pair, as well, I also fought two ancestral beasts - I thought I explored the place pretty well, as well as most of Caelid/Limgrave/Liurnia - the Bellfrey gets me to that side of the map, but not connected to anything else. Is entry post Altus? Or did I just miss something?

That's actually tied to an entirely different questline.

Go to the church west of the Academy Gatetown and talk to the dude you met at the start of the game. Agree to his stuff, use three of the five invasion items he gives you, and talk to him again to get a key item. Take the Belfry gate to the very first area and interact with the dead maiden where you first spawned in. Go talk to him a few more times and he'll give you an item that warps you to that section of the river.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

It's super obscure and nothing about the main story leads you there. There's a portal there along the western border of the consecrated snowfield (haligtree area), you can also get teleported there by doing the PVP quest the guy who meets you right outside the tutorial dungeon eventually gives.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Trying to think which bit you mean. The isolated buildings way up high? One bit you get to from the four belfries and the other big temple I haven’t reached yet but I’m 90% sure is a late game boss of some description and similarly will use a teleporter in the distant future. Also check the gargoyle’s room for an open coffin you can interact with if you haven’t already.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

Is there any limits on summoning in people when using a password? Like can I go in an help someone much lower level?

And along similar lines would it be possible for someone high level to pass items down. I was hoping to pass the drop level increase talisman to my low level character.

1. Afaik, There’s some scaling that’s applied to the higher level character but as far as matchmaking there’s no restriction if you’re using a password.

2. Yes you can pass items and talismans to a lower level character. The only apparent restriction is they can’t be upgraded (if it’s a weapon) past a point the low character is in terms of his own upgrades

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Ripped through that cave of crystal people only to come to that Crystalianananaa boss that was ineffective to everything I have. I hope I can whip it real good.

A message on the ground there told me how to beat it guard counter. Becomes so easy

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fartington Butts posted:

If you can stagger (and you might have to do the crit) them once, they lose a lot of defence

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I kind of hate the snow areas. Also: putting a mausoleum you seemingly can't bring down outside of Castle Sol loving sucks, I never want to see or hear one of these things again.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

They also, like many similar rocky enemies, don’t resist strike damage, aka HAMMER. Definitely worth finding something that does that that you like and keeping it upgraded for just such an occasion.

And echoing above once they become cracked which I think is when you first break their poise, any damage works as normal.

As for the crystal gank squad with their trump cards of scarlet rot on attacks and a super wide scarlet rot wave that just murders you, such fun was one of the few fights I’ve used a summon on. And the one I used that I can recommend is another crystalian which you can find the summon for in the same cave. Like it’s enemy counterparts it’s also almost immune to non strike damage until it becomes cracked, and guess which type of damage the trio don’t have access to

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 10, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can hold the button to keep breathing for a few extra ticks at the cost of ~6ish fp per tick. That's what the extra (6) bit in the fp cost means.

Ah thanks - that makes sense!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1. Afaik, There’s some scaling that’s applied to the higher level character but as far as matchmaking there’s no restriction if you’re using a password.

2. Yes you can pass items and talismans to a lower level character. The only apparent restriction is they can’t be upgraded (if it’s a weapon) past a point the low character is in terms of his own upgrades

loving rad, playing the whole game with 190 drop rate sounds like my poo poo. Just what I wanted to hear.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

That's low key my build.

I have no problems with any content so far.

Int faith! There’s a few int/faith spells and incantations that I can’t use with my str/faith build. Let me know if you use any of them and find them useful!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There's an amazing spell that only INT/Faith gets, and I love it so much, and also a sword that's just insane, there's also a talisman that scales with INT/Faith. It's actually more supported in this game then any of the other ones.

Black Flame does extra damage to demigods, all the god slayer stuff does, so FTH/INT is pretty good at swinging at bosses as far as I know.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 10, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I cannot loving deal with these blinky bois in Castle Sol, goddamn.

1450 HP; I would have more but I'm wearing a Talisman that reduces spell costs but also reduces HP a bit. Feel like I'm not that squishy, they're just faster and poof around too much :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nuebot posted:

I kind of hate the snow areas. Also: putting a mausoleum you seemingly can't bring down outside of Castle Sol loving sucks, I never want to see or hear one of these things again.

Hahaha... I trough you was going to talk about the other mauselum in a icy area, that is much, much worse.