Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

What does the water dribble accomplish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Maybe a lube or coolant to prevent friction, I'm not en EOD guy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bob dobbs is dead posted:

chemical weapons cost like $250 for the gas mask and mopp suit to deal with, as opposed to yards of concrete or a half-meter of composites for high explosives. biologics without cures or vaccines will kill your own troops and biologics with cures or vaccines are even cheaper to deal with

the chemical weapons treaties successfully stuck because theyre not good for anything. maybe we'll have anti-paratrooper treaties in a bit

You realize Russia has a history of using chemical weapons, within the last decade or so, right

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chemical weapons cost like $250 for the gas mask and mopp suit to deal with, as opposed to yards of concrete or a half-meter of composites for high explosives. biologics without cures or vaccines will kill your own troops and biologics with cures or vaccines are even cheaper to deal with

the chemical weapons treaties successfully stuck because theyre not good for anything. maybe we'll have anti-paratrooper treaties in a bit

Civilians don't typically have those kinds of protective gear handy.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Technically all weapons are chemical weapons if ya really think

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Although twitter threads are a terrible way to present longer texts, this guy has some interesting insights into how Russia works:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498377757536968711

Highlights include no. 12 Russian army

tl,dr: Russian generals tend to die in mysterious circumstances after wars, because the state is afraid of them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1498386918232530944

18: VDV: Why Russia lost this war

tl,dr: the Kremlin didn't expect to fight an actual war, so they sent the VDV, who are big, buff and scary, the stuff of legends – but, it turns out, perfectly susceptible to gunfire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1499377671855292423

22. Why Russia can't produce anything

Tl, dr: allowing competent poindexters to accomplish things would upset the balance of domestic power, which is why Russia is technologically dependent on western imports.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1501360272442896388

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

You realize Russia has a history of using chemical weapons, within the last decade or so, right

only on civilians

e: poo poo, beaten

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Getting shot at clarifies what's really important, I've found.

When we got our first major batch of troopers after our 1st Tour, the new guys were asking about rifle scores and whatnot.

'Trust me, the range don't mean poo poo. That first shot at you, you'll get real loving good, real loving quick. Or you die. It's cool.'

I was a bit of an rear end in a top hat to those kids, but I did it because they were going back to a world they were unprepared for, and they cannot be scared enough for what's coming. They needed to know

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The point of chemical weapons isn’t to gain a tactical advantage, it’s to deny the use of an area and scare the poo poo out of people.

It’s a terror weapon.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

The point of chemical weapons isn’t to gain a tactical advantage, it’s to deny the use of an area and scare the poo poo out of people.

It’s a terror weapon.

Civilian here. Do you think use of WMDs like that would be the trigger to get NATO involvement?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cimber posted:

Civilian here. Do you think use of WMDs like that would be the trigger to get NATO involvement?

When used against a NATO member yeah

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There'd be lots of hemming and hawing. That's about it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There'd be lots of hemming and hawing. That's about it.

But not to the furrowing of brow.

If there is a tut-tut sound then we are really in the poo poo?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Cimber posted:

Obama once said that any use of chemical weapons in the Syrian civil war would be crossing a red line.

Chemical weapons were used, nothing much happened.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Obama once said that any use of chemical weapons in the Syrian civil war would be crossing a red line.

Chemical weapons were used, nothing much happened.

Yeah well, there are a few reasons for that. One of them was Obama was pretty spineless when it came to Russia. (and I voted for the guy)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I’m sure Biden, his former VP, will be completely different.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Remember when obama was like “Russia pulled a fast one on us but we’ll get em back on our time”

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Cimber posted:

Yeah well, there are a few reasons for that. One of them was Obama was pretty spineless when it came to Russia. (and I voted for the guy)

Also didn't he actually never believe that they would be used and it was a convinient way of appearing to stand up to Putin? Might be misremembering though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Churchill posted:

Also didn't he actually never believe that they would be used and it was a convinient way of appearing to stand up to Putin? Might be misremembering though.

IIRC, he had gotten assurances from the UK that they'd back the US if chemical weapons were used, but the UK publicly noped out as soon as it happened.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cimber posted:

But not to the furrowing of brow.

If there is a tut-tut sound then we are really in the poo poo?

Ukraine isn't in NATO. NATO nations are under no obligation to step in even if chem/bio weapons are used.

So lots of tisk-tisks and concerned looks is all that is obliged.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Stultus Maximus posted:

IIRC, he had gotten assurances from the UK that they'd back the US if chemical weapons were used, but the UK publicly noped out as soon as it happened.

loving lol, perfidious Albion is truly one of the least reliable allies one can have isn't it. Not that this tips the scales or is relevant in any way but it reminds me that the events of the past, well always, sure makes me grateful my English mum and Swedish dad chose to settle in Sweden and not the UK. As are they, apparently it was more or less a coin toss as to where they'd end up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the Syria red line was stupid as was our entire involvement in extending that misery

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1500279495256854533?s=20&t=kmIlmFKL6YXz_aBbSDVlDg

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Although twitter threads are a terrible way to present longer texts, this guy has some interesting insights into how Russia works:

this helps with them: https://threadreaderapp.com/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the Syria red line was stupid as was our entire involvement in extending that misery

Are you talking about the military or the CIA?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RobinBrooksIIF/status/1501655620105166852?s=20&t=kmPcF3TvMupPD1hswN_pjQ

(Projected) Arrow goes down

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Grip it and rip it posted:

Are you talking about the military or the CIA?

Yes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cimber posted:

What was the solution here exactly, give the moderate rebels who are not literally rebranded Al-Queda stingers?

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
Glad I caught the 4 page derail on Obama and Syria getting started before bed.

I won't think poo poo went down when I see the thread in the morning...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Churchill posted:

perfidious Albion

Extreme username/post synergy bah gawd

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Montage of drone footage of a Ukrainian ambush on a Russian tank column.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1501852864850898947

The audio is a radio intercept reporting that the regimental commander was killed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I know we’re always talking about fighting the last war but they seem to be behind by 3 or 4 marching tanks like they’re in a parade when they know the adversary has combat drones in the air.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

Montage of drone footage of a Ukrainian ambush on a Russian tank column.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1501852864850898947

The audio is a radio intercept reporting that the regimental commander was killed.

Everything the Russian military does looks like a militia training video out of Florida. It must be like having an army of privates, led by a new LT. Every video I see it looks like the Russians are trying to do that task for the first time.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Two abreast in the middle of the road while under attack

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

Everything the Russian military does looks like a militia training video out of Florida. It must be like having an army of privates, led by a new LT. Every video I see it looks like the Russians are trying to do that task for the first time.

Everything we're seeing out of Ukraine is a vivid documentary of what happens to an army when the E-4 mafia actually is The Mafia

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ASAPI posted:

It must be like having an army of privates, led by a new LT.

That’s pretty much what they have.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Two abreast in the middle of the road while under attack

Clumping all of your forces together in contested territory with no room to manoeuvre and without a security perimeter, traveling on major avenues of approach, traveling on the same avenue of approach you just got ambushed on.

I mean this is all basic poo poo you learn in your second year of ROTC.

e: I'm the guy turning around on the shoulder into a wall, like everyone who's ever done that in a Battlefield game and gotten stuck.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 10, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Man after all those military parades through Red Square over the years? Big disappointment

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

Everything we're seeing out of Ukraine is a vivid documentary of what happens to an army when the E-4 mafia actually is The Mafia

Except most of the E4 mafia I knew were actually good at their jobs. Endless creativity within boundaries set by their opposition among the E7's, and Lieutenants none the wiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Except most of the E4 mafia I knew were actually good at their jobs. Endless creativity within boundaries set by their opposition among the E7's, and Lieutenants none the wiser

My favorite E4 mafia moment was when the battalion S4 refused to give us ammunition for our M203s, and a couple of my E4s miraculously found a crate in the corner of the motor pool.

e: Also speaks to the power of being on good terms with the supply sergeant.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 10, 2022