Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The curse continues. Sorry, officer

As an owner of an M340i who's very much thinking of picking up the next M2 as something I'd like to keep forever (unless I buy a 911), I'm very curious to hear your feedback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

for chrissakes buy the 911

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kronix posted:

As an owner of an M340i who's very much thinking of picking up the next M2 as something I'd like to keep forever (unless I buy a 911), I'm very curious to hear your feedback

Feedback on how the M340 compares to the M2C? Well, I'm enjoying the 3 a lot more than I ever enjoyed the M2, largely due to the kind of driving I do and how often I end up in traffic, but there's definitely no comparing which one would be a more fun Weekend Car.

Apparently the newest M240 is a better M2 than any existing M2, so I'd expect the (2023?) M2 to be a fantastic vehicle. I'm not sure I love the grille but that's just how it goes with BMWs these days

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah man if your two options are a $50k Econo-Coupe vs an actual midrange sports car then what is the dilemma here!

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah man if your two options are a $50k Econo-Coupe vs an actual midrange sports car then what is the dilemma here!

I really liked the last M2C, it'd be a whole lot cheaper than a 911 and it'd be new whereas I'd be in 5 year old Carrera S territory and I'd still be paying a lot more. 911 used prices are completely bonkers right now too which doesn't help.

Also, my wife has accepted my BMW habit and likes the current M2 and one of her coworkers had one so in her mind it's in the realm of "normal person car" instead of rich douchebag car that the 911 occupies.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

kronix posted:

I really liked the last M2C, it'd be a whole lot cheaper than a 911 and it'd be new whereas I'd be in 5 year old Carrera S territory and I'd still be paying a lot more. 911 used prices are completely bonkers right now too which doesn't help.

Also, my wife has accepted my BMW habit and likes the current M2 and one of her coworkers had one so in her mind it's in the realm of "normal person car" instead of rich douchebag car that the 911 occupies.

Hahaha, I like this. The rondel will definitely classify you as douchebag status to some people, but not to the same extent as a 911 for sure...

I just can't imagine buying a used car right now, period. It's unbelievable. I just sold a 2016 Subaru Outback with 60,000 miles on it for $27,000. Now is the time to buy New unless you're specifically trying to get some car that's out of production and already carrying a big premium

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Really leaning into that thread title, huh?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Feedback on how the M340 compares to the M2C? Well, I'm enjoying the 3 a lot more than I ever enjoyed the M2, largely due to the kind of driving I do and how often I end up in traffic, but there's definitely no comparing which one would be a more fun Weekend Car.

Apparently the newest M240 is a better M2 than any existing M2, so I'd expect the (2023?) M2 to be a fantastic vehicle. I'm not sure I love the grille but that's just how it goes with BMWs these days

I find the styling of the new M240i to be hideous, but then I saw a youtube video of one in black and it looked a lot better than the purple ones everyone keeps showing off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSzbWpLFLw

I think it's because the black paint hides a lot of the weird square edges/creases and black plastic bumpers etc. I have seen on other review videos though that the new M240 has significantly less rear passenger space than the older M2's which is kinda disappointing, it's also even heavier. By all accounts it's pretty drat fast though, with actual 0-60 times around 3.8 seconds, AWD, adaptive dampers and an automatic gearbox would probably all make it a better daily driver. The B58 seems to be pretty universally praised though and so far seems to have fixed some of the common issues with the N/S55 while giving pretty good fuel economy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Blackhawk posted:

I find the styling of the new M240i to be hideous, but then I saw a youtube video of one in black and it looked a lot better than the purple ones everyone keeps showing off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GSzbWpLFLw

I think it's because the black paint hides a lot of the weird square edges/creases and black plastic bumpers etc. I have seen on other review videos though that the new M240 has significantly less rear passenger space than the older M2's which is kinda disappointing, it's also even heavier. By all accounts it's pretty drat fast though, with actual 0-60 times around 3.8 seconds, AWD, adaptive dampers and an automatic gearbox would probably all make it a better daily driver. The B58 seems to be pretty universally praised though and so far seems to have fixed some of the common issues with the N/S55 while giving pretty good fuel economy.

I'm in the same boat as far as first visual impression being :barf:

I saw one in black and one in white in person and they both looked quite sharp! They let me take it for a test drive while they did all the paperwork on my M340 and it was fantastic.

LESS rear passenger space than the M2? The cushions in my M2c literally made contact with the driver/passenger seatbacks! The seats were so fully and completely worthless that it's probably good there's less room back there? Still enough room to toss a doggy back there, and maybe that space ended up somewhere else more useful.

Weight is not a huge issue to me since I don't plan to carry it. It felt mighty nimble zipping around the neighborhood, but I had a cop follow me out of the parking lot so I didn't get to do anything fun with it.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
How vague was the steering

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kind of weird that Toyota sells the best-styled BMWs these days

I'm sure in 50 years the styling will rotate through and these will be vintage classics ala the early 80s trans am or mid 70s bronco, but until then, :barf:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 8, 2022

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
BMW Thread: For Christ Sake, buy the 911

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Crunchy Black posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > BMW Thread: For Christ Sake, buy the 911

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hahaha, I like this. The rondel will definitely classify you as douchebag status to some people, but not to the same extent as a 911 for sure...

This isn’t true is it? :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crunchy Black posted:

:yeah:

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

kronix posted:

Still selling my 2018 m2 :)

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

fyallm posted:

Carvana offered me $52k for mine yesterday. thinking i should buy the 911 (1983) fer chrissakes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

buy the 911 (1983) fer chrissakes.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

Carvana offered me $52k for mine yesterday. thinking i should buy the 911 (1983) fer chrissakes.

loving carvana. My local Craigslist is just full of almost nothing but carvana stuff and it’s all misrepresented. Oh, you’re looking for manual bmw’s? Here’s a bunch of 2 year old 5 series!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Crunchy Black posted:

:emptyquote:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

fyallm posted:

I need an S58 in my life

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Wonderllama posted:

oh snap. let me see if they will offer me 52k . nope still under 50k for mine. I have a dealer willing to give me 48.5 for it, but trying to get 50k

fyallm fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 8, 2022

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Wonderllama posted:

Dude I worked with a while back who let me drive his last Carrara S PDK texted me to let me know he upgraded in to a 911 GTS Targa with the 7 speed and he didn't like it so he's going back to his '83.

The lesson? Modern 911's are garbage.

M cars are the only choice B58 and S58 4 Lyfe

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

This isn’t true is it? :ohdear:

Don't you have a 993? I think that makes you ok. At least in my book it does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kronix posted:

I need an S58 in my life

Everyone does it's so good

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

kronix posted:

M cars are the only choice B58 and S58 4 Lyfe

You misspelled S65 by a good margin there friend.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V119

:lol: The previous PCV recall parts are also defective and catch on fire.

pre:
Subject :	PCV Heater May Short Circuit
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

pre:
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011

I'm assuming this only affects E90s which makes sense because those cars were totally awful (with the exception of the M3)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

pre:
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011
lmao jesus christ. welp back to the dealer!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kronix posted:

I'm assuming this only affects E90s which makes sense because those cars were totally awful (with the exception of the M3)

:mad: And E89's!

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

pre:
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011

LOL, I have both PCV recalls on my rap sheet.

I wish there was a dealer closer than an hour and a half away (wonder if they'll give me a loaner :hmmno: ), I don't really want to burn a day off on this. I guess this means I'll have to hold off on my 3SIM install.

E: At least my e61 isn't part of the new recall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

glyph posted:

LOL, I have both PCV recalls on my rap sheet.

I wish there was a dealer closer than an hour and a half away (wonder if they'll give me a loaner :hmmno: ), I don't really want to burn a day off on this. I guess this means I'll have to hold off on my 3SIM install.

drat you really should get that airbag done. That can kill you. I got a loaner from my dealer for the original PCV and I only live 20 minutes away. Call ahead and schedule it way out into the future and be very sad because of how far away it is and maybe you get lucky?

Also lol at "thermal event".

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

pre:
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011

Huh I just found a super clean looking E91, only 19k miles on it too. Thinking about bidding on it, is that dumb with a new recall announced?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

No, BMW is going to do the recall for you for free. It might be dumb for other reasons though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Huh I just found a super clean looking E91, only 19k miles on it too. Thinking about bidding on it, is that dumb with a new recall announced?

No, it's pretty rare but very catastrophic failure. I would be more worried about maintenance history than some easy to fix recall recall.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, BMW is going to do the recall for you for free. It might be dumb for other reasons though.

Fair :v:

H110Hawk posted:

I would be more worried about maintenance history than some easy to fix recall recall.

Yea I've thought about that too. Everything just sitting mostly un-used for a decade, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If that’s a manual with that low of millage it’s gonna be a dummy hammer bid fyi