Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there even any OpenGL/Vulkan/Metal tech demos for AS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Mac Studio seems like a reasonable deal. Judging by the backlash am I misreading the specs?
For what it is, it's about what I expected. But I also expected something a bit cheaper with a binned M1 Pro to begin with (like in the base 14" MBP), whether a lower end Mac Studio or higher end Mac mini (to replace the remaining Intel one).

So it costs more but the base spec is decent, so I'm just like :shrug: here sitting on the fence about it...I'll probably get it refurb or from the edu store if possible.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ordered a studio with the ultra chip, and the new display. Was working all day so my delivery time got bumped a couple weeks. All good - looking forward it.

Now to sell this iMac.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

frogbs posted:

drat, I was really hoping they'd release those rumored M2 Airs. Welp, guess i'll keep an eye on the refurb store in the meantime or see if they announce new ones in summer.

I think most of the rumors were that they would NOT get announced yesterday, and that they will come out later this year.

I'm planning on replacing my Chromebook which is getting EoLed in 2023 with the new MacBook/MacBook Air.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AlternateAccount posted:

And they didn't call it the Mac Pro THICC, miss opportunity imo

The Big Mac (Mini).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mercurius posted:

I guess that's something else in the favour of the new Studio as it has a 10GB Ethernet port on all models, not just the M1 Ultra version.

Also as an option on the m1 mini, at a price point lower than any 10g thunderbolt nic on the market.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 9, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple giveth, and taketh..

$1600 Studio Display DOES NOT COME WITH POLISHING CLOTH! Quelle horreurs!

$1900 nano-texture version does.. so, $300 to get a polishing cloth

Guess they didn't hit that trillion dollar valuation by not penny pinching

Edit: I still think we're not gonna see an M2 until 4th quarter this year at least since most of the brains trust that developed the A-series chips has left the company

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 9, 2022

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Mercurius posted:

...Another alternative would be to see if you can pick up some of Apple's older 27" Thunderbolt displays because you can definitely daisy chain those together into a single Thunderbolt port...

Thanks to everyone who chipped in; this is the solution I went with, though I looked into all the others. Found a pair of refurbished 27" Apple Thunderbolt displays. I would have preferred a higher-resolution option, but the lovely wife will not care.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm still dailying a 2013 27" imac with 27" TB display

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm still dailying a 2013 27" imac with 27" TB display

same, except not the extra 27 tb display, always wanted one tho

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You want to buy mine? I'm finna ready to offload this whole setup.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

You want to buy mine? I'm finna ready to offload this whole setup.

tempting, but my current setup requires me to switch to a windows machine and iirc the TB display doesn't really work with them. speaking of which, will the new studio display work with a windows machine?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Apple giveth, and taketh..

$1600 Studio Display DOES NOT COME WITH POLISHING CLOTH! Quelle horreurs!

$1900 nano-texture version does.. so, $300 to get a polishing cloth

Guess they didn't hit that trillion dollar valuation by not penny pinching

Edit: I still think we're not gonna see an M2 until 4th quarter this year at least since most of the brains trust that developed the A-series chips has left the company

Latest rumor from mg says late spring early summer. And chances it’s ready to go is very high. Somebody from the brain trust leaving doesn’t effect something like the next base chip.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Binary Badger posted:

the a15 was such a marginal upgrade on the a14 that i think they are probably waiting to base the m2 on the a16 cores

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Last Chance posted:

tempting, but my current setup requires me to switch to a windows machine and iirc the TB display doesn't really work with them. speaking of which, will the new studio display work with a windows machine?
Anand from Anandtech (back when it was his site) successfully got a desktop PC working on the TB display shortly after it first came out so it’s definitely possible.

A lot of PCs these days have TB3 connections so if yours does you might be able to use Apple’s TB2->TB3 adapter like a lot of our staff at work do to keep using the old Thunderbolt Displays on their TB3 macs.

They haven’t mentioned anything about Windows compatibility on the Studio Display yet but my LG 5K works on Windows computers (for the most part) so I’d be surprised if there isn’t at least some compatibility. At the very least it looks like it’s capable of stepping down to USB-C for the iPads but I don’t know whether the fact it’s powered by an A series chip will make things more tricky.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/09/studio-display-with-pcs-with-caveats/

Short answer: yeah

Long answer: yeah but no Center Stage or TrueTone on Windows, also forget firmware upgrades, webcam supported by macOS only

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Run windows in a vm

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How is ARM windows in Parallels anyway?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

hatty posted:

How is ARM windows in Parallels anyway?

Incredible. I only use it to run some graphing/stats software, but Windows 11 loads and runs like it’s native and W11’s x64 emulation is fast as hell on a MacBook Air.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is a macbook's windows emulation good enough to run games at this point? or are the graphics cards not there yet?

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 10, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

abelwingnut posted:

is a macbook's windows emulation good enough to run games at this point? or are the graphics cards not there yet?

M1 performs quite well with emulation/wine/MoltenVK/etc, but it’s largely game-dependent. What games do you want to run?

If you Google/YouTube it, there’s a pretty decent and sizable community of people making Windows and Intel Mac games run on Apple Silicon. Some games run best with VMware, some games run best with CodeWeavers’ CrossOver (which you will almost certainly need to get if you plan to run a bunch of things), some run best with patching or special additions/modifications to code, and plenty of others run best native or via Rosetta 2.

For example, Disco Elysium and EVE both have native M1 versions and are best played like that, although AFAIK Apple is pushing to have all those native games run at a locked 60fps—so if you’ve got the horsepower (M1 Pro/Max/etc) and a capable display you could feasibly run the Windows versions in emulation and get even better performance. Also in general lots of Mac ports are simply worse or not as well-optimized vs their Windows counterparts (or they don’t get DLC) and it’s not exactly uncommon to hear about games that are way better played in their Windows forms from Steam via CrossOver even if there are official Mac versions available.

Hades has a Mac version but it still needs Rosetta 2, but it runs great because of course it should.

There are a couple of websites/forums/etc compiling lists of compatible games and their performance/limitations/methods & hacks/etc so I’d start there.

So far people have gotten everything from GTA V to Witcher 3 to Battletech to Elden Ring running, although be prepared to deal with a lot of bugs and a very “Linuxlike”experience, esp with the community.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So where does Apple go now from M1U? Doesn't seem like you can inter connect any more M1M together.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

the a15 was such a marginal upgrade on the a14 that i think they are probably waiting to base the m2 on the a16 cores
The A-X chips tended to take longer or just skip generations, not surprising if they continued doing that.

Shaocaholica posted:

So where does Apple go now from M1U? Doesn't seem like you can inter connect any more M1M together.
The same rumor for that one going way back also mentioned a quad version, so that's the obvious route if that's somehow possible. But some Apple website wordage says the Ultra is the last member of the M1 family, so uh, either a different letter for a quad M1M or get ready for the M2 EXTREME.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Shaocaholica posted:

I interpreted their comment to mean this is the last of the M1 family, unless there's a Mac Pro version, which would maybe be a different beast given it probably has external RAM and so forth.

Otherwise, onto the base M2 model.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is it possible to buy something in-store with the Education discount?

And in that same line, is it possible to put a down payment on a product to lower the monthly cost?

This is my sort of my graduation gift for my nephew, but the plan is to put $1K down towards a Mac Studio through the education pricing, and that in turn cuts down the monthly installments a fair bit.

However, everywhere online says the only way to put a payment down to lower monthly installments is by doing it in-store. But then I’ve never heard of how Apple verifies people getting Education pricing in-store either.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
They look at your student/faculty ID.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is it possible to buy something in-store with the Education discount?

And in that same line, is it possible to put a down payment on a product to lower the monthly cost?

This is my sort of my graduation gift for my nephew, but the plan is to put $1K down towards a Mac Studio through the education pricing, and that in turn cuts down the monthly installments a fair bit.

However, everywhere online says the only way to put a payment down to lower monthly installments is by doing it in-store. But then I’ve never heard of how Apple verifies people getting Education pricing in-store either.

Just get him $1k in Apple gift cards and then he can apply them to his account + use them on his purchase.

Or go with him to the store to make the purchase and have him show his college ID/email address while you pay. The student requesting the product doesn’t have to be the same person flashing the cash/plastic—otherwise family members would never be able to buy their kids/grandkids/etc computers with Edu pricing.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 10, 2022

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just get him $1k in Apple gift cards and then he can apply them to his account + use them on his purchase.

Or go with him to the store to make the purchase and have him show his college ID/email address while you pay. The student requesting the product doesn’t have to be the same person flashing the cash/plastic—otherwise family members would never be able to buy their kids/grandkids/etc computers with Edu pricing.

Sounds easy enough. Part of the whole thing he wants to do is use the money to lower the monthly installments, which seems to be the bit I can’t find any concrete info on. Would giving him the gift cards automatically do this when he tries to purchase something online?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Sounds easy enough. Part of the whole thing he wants to do is use the money to lower the monthly installments, which seems to be the bit I can’t find any concrete info on. Would giving him the gift cards automatically do this when he tries to purchase something online?

Not sure. Like I said, if you’re concerned and you know that you can do it in person, then you can absolutely go do it in person.

Your nephew can also use gift cards/Apple balance in the physical brick+mortar store.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, just not sure if that’s something that can be done in person or not — or at all. I may just have to carve out time to go and ask so I’m not stuck with Apple gift cards and no real way to use them for this specific purpose. We shall see.

Thanks everybody!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They didn't ask for a student ID when I picked up my MacBook last month.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there a way to get my monitors to always connect I'm the same order? I have two external monitors hooked up to my MacBook Pro M1 Max and it seems random as to which monitor gets assigned to the left side or the right side when I hook it all up. Doesn't seem to remember which display is which.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Does your nephew already have a laptop? I can't imagine being tied to a desktop as a college student, especially when most of that power will be sitting idle unless he's cranking out animated movies or something.

Detective No. 27 posted:

They did ask for my wife's ID or some other documentation that she was a teacher when she bought her MBP in the store a couple months ago. That tracks with various trip reports online, where it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot whether you'll be asked for verification or not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I should mention, I paid online.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, just not sure if that’s something that can be done in person or not — or at all. I may just have to carve out time to go and ask so I’m not stuck with Apple gift cards and no real way to use them for this specific purpose. We shall see.

Thanks everybody!

I mean, just ask Apple? They have staff dedicated to helping people buy things. https://contactretail.apple.com/Help for online chat or https://www.apple.com/retail/ to find a local store and get their phone number.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/10/m2-macs-with-tsmc-4nm-process/

Latest rumors seem to indicate we'll have M2s announced by WWDC, they'll be on a smaller process so more efficient, and get a whopping two more GPU cores for the space savings that 5nm -> 4 nm tech provides

Why yes I did just put in an order for a 14-inch 24-core GPU MBP, yes that is why I am sobbing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

They rescinded the requirement:

quote:

UPDATE: 2022/01/24 13:44 EST BY AROL WRIGHT

Apple has backtracked

As reported by multiple news outlets like The Verge, Apple has stopped requiring UNiDAYS verification in the US for users to take advantage of student discounts for its products. That means that, as of the time of writing, it's open to anyone in the US. The verification process is still live in markets like the UK, though, so we don't know if Apple has removed it permanently because of user backlash or if it will come back at some point. There's a very real chance it's the latter.

Nonetheless, if you were looking at getting yourself an Apple product, and you don't have an .EDU email, now's the time. But maybe do it now, just in case it comes back later.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mister Facetious posted:

They rescinded the requirement:

That was a different verification scheme they were planning to apply to online purchases. The physical stores have always had an inconsistently-enforced policy of asking for some proof that you qualify for the discount.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Baronash posted:

Does your nephew already have a laptop? I can't imagine being tied to a desktop as a college student, especially when most of that power will be sitting idle unless he's cranking out animated movies or something.

They did ask for my wife's ID or some other documentation that she was a teacher when she bought her MBP in the store a couple months ago. That tracks with various trip reports online, where it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot whether you'll be asked for verification or not.

He’s recently gotten a job that starts the week after he graduates and it’s entirely WFH for the foreseeable future. I don’t know exactly what he does, but he is that artsy type.

doingitwrong posted:

I mean, just ask Apple? They have staff dedicated to helping people buy things. https://contactretail.apple.com/Help for online chat or https://www.apple.com/retail/ to find a local store and get their phone number.

I came here after asking their support team and them not understanding my question. The three people I spoke to thought I wanted to either use gift cards to pay for the thing in full, pay part of it now and part later, or some combination of both. I only ask SA questions when the defaults have stalled on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/10/m2-macs-with-tsmc-4nm-process/

Latest rumors seem to indicate we'll have M2s announced by WWDC, they'll be on a smaller process so more efficient, and get a whopping two more GPU cores for the space savings that 5nm -> 4 nm tech provides

Why yes I did just put in an order for a 14-inch 24-core GPU MBP, yes that is why I am sobbing

fwiw, the alleged leaked roadmap docs that have, so far, been right about everything seem to peg the Gen 3 M chips as the first big major leap over their predecessors, with Gen 2 being much more modest of a jump.