Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

Did you cut someone off, or was the person behind you going 180 miles per hour and rammed you? The former would be failure to yield (your fault), the latter would be excessive speed (their fault).

Thinking about this a bit more: yeah, every rear-end collision is due to a speed disparity. In fact, every two-vehicle collision is due to a speed (actually velocity) disparity. If you were both going the same velocity, a collision wouldn't have been possible. :science:

Yeah he was going the speed limit (50) and I was going 0 (because I was at a red light).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah he was going the speed limit (50) and I was going 0 (because I was at a red light).

:classiclol:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It looks exactly like what everyone should have expected from the recent VW videos and the known aspects of the ID interior design language

I frickin love it and I want one so bad.

I expect I will never have one. First fool I see in one I am going to pester the hell out of them. Sorry in advance.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm mad it's not available to me until 2024. That sucks. My trade-in probably won't be worth as much by then.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wayne Knight posted:

I'm mad it's not available to me until 2024. That sucks. My trade-in probably won't be worth as much by then.

it's kinda perfect timing for me since I expect to be in a house with access to charging + prob kyoon griffey 3

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
At least by 2024 the EA network will be good enough (or it won't be and we'll know what their commitment to it is) to not have to well, but about a charging network.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Did you get rear ended into the intersection?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Russian Bear posted:

Did you get rear ended into the intersection?

Nah, luckily the four other cars I bounced off of prevented me from going into the intersection.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Buzz thoughts:

Good
The styling actually resolves a lot better than I thought, including in front. It doesn't look like a Typ 1, but it never was going to.
Two tone looks nice, I like the orange and white creamsicle, but the dark blue and white cargo van looks good too. I hope the colors stay for the US market which is notoriously color averse.
Colors in the interior - hope they are not available only with white. The orange seat centers look very nice.
Goofy little Jeep style details
170kw DC charging, 30 minutes to 80% sounds pretty promising.
Synthetic interior with recycled materials.
Nice wood inlay and interesting lines on the vents, sort of reminiscent of the i3.
Seems to have plenty of clever interior details on space and storage, which is something I really like about the alltrack. Phone storage, tray tables, configurable center console, etc.

Bad
We don't get the SWB, which would be ideal size for me.
Capacitive controls are dog poo poo goddamnit
wagon wheels with smallest size as 18s
No frunk but that's pretty well excusable since the front overhang is tiny.
Goofy little Jeep style details
white interior gonna get disgusting :chloe:
did they just like forget a charger storage system in the passenger one?

We didn't get any information about pricing etc. and it's clearly a first release with a bunch more models to come. Nothing I'm seeing excludes it from future consideration for me depending on the capacitive controls, but the driving experience matters. I'm interested in seat stowage especially on the LWB for the center seventh seat.

Pretty much my takes as well. Also, it looks like the rear seats are not removable which is a huge bummer. Like this thing is made to carry bikes and other stuff and you can only fold the seats? loving VW.

Now lets hope Skoda or Seat will make a better version someday :sigh:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bad_fmr posted:

Pretty much my takes as well. Also, it looks like the rear seats are not removable which is a huge bummer. Like this thing is made to carry bikes and other stuff and you can only fold the seats? loving VW.

Now lets hope Skoda or Seat will make a better version someday :sigh:

if you live somewhere where you can get a Skoda or Seat then you’ll be getting the cargo version as well.

The passenger van limitation is for the American market, etc.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you live somewhere where you can get a Skoda or Seat then you’ll be getting the cargo version as well.

The passenger van limitation is for the American market, etc.

Oh yes I know but the passenger version seats should also be removable. Like you can in most other comparable "minivans", such as VWs own Multivan. The cargo version is not really a good family car that the minivans are supposed to be.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

Oh yes I know but the passenger version seats should also be removable. Like you can in most other comparable "minivans", such as VWs own Multivan. The cargo version is not really a good family car that the minivans are supposed to be.

They’re not removable at all?!

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Well I suppose everything is removable if you break out your powertools. But in the normal sense, no. Only fold and not even flat to the floor because the batteries are there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Aren’t there rumors of an official camper version? If not, I’m sure it’ll be a matter of months before there are outfitters making these into Westphalia-likes

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yes the California model is confirmed for the future. Unsure if it will ever make it over to the US.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bad_fmr posted:

Yes the California model is confirmed for the future. Unsure if it will ever make it over to the US.

It will not

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is it just me or doest it look pretty narrow in there? Ask in it would be difficult to fit a lot of camping stuff in there.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bad_fmr posted:

California model [may not] make it over to the US.

That's what we call irony, kids.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

We never get cool vehicles…just crossovers as far as the eye can see.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Is it just me or doest it look pretty narrow in there? Ask in it would be difficult to fit a lot of camping stuff in there.

Thomas measured it, 120 cm / 47" wide. That's wider than the back of my Alltrack, which is 40"

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What's that? My car is going to hit the 80% limit at work (free charging) at a time I don't want to have to get out and move it? Lets just remote app change the limit to 100% for now so I don't have to go move it immediately

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So when talking to the electrician about the L2 charger installation, I'm thinking a 60A (48A) will probably be the best option, does that seem correct? I have a full 100A headroom but don't know if I get diminishing returns after that from most EV charging.

Would it be better to go hardwired or have a big dryer style plug installed?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

What's that? My car is going to hit the 80% limit at work (free charging) at a time I don't want to have to get out and move it? Lets just remote app change the limit to 100% for now so I don't have to go move it immediately

I found out in Las Cruces that I can tell the Tesla to dial down how many amps it accepts to avoid idle fees at a J1772 charger so I can finish breakfast.

It would have been a dick move if there weren't three unoccupied stalls at the location.

But yeah, I do this some move all the time at superchargers. I'm okay with it, it's only ever been like a 5-15 minute addition.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

priznat posted:

So when talking to the electrician about the L2 charger installation, I'm thinking a 60A (48A) will probably be the best option, does that seem correct? I have a full 100A headroom but don't know if I get diminishing returns after that from most EV charging.

Hardwire is better. You'll get less wear on the connectors, and plugs are limited to 50A (40A continuous) as well.

Edit:

cruft posted:

I found out in Las Cruces that I can tell the Tesla to dial down how many amps it accepts to avoid idle fees at a J1772 charger so I can finish breakfast.

It would have been a dick move if there weren't three unoccupied stalls at the location.

Tesla only started allowing changing the charging amperage via the app like 2 months ago, it's nice. What would be ultimate dick move is to limit the DCFC speed, my motorcycle can do this for some reason, and I think Taycans can as well.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 10, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

priznat posted:

There was a time when I was called a dummy ITT for suggesting hardwired was better.

But yeah, at 60A you kind of don't have another option.

I will say that 60A seems excessive unless you have two cars or the Hummer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

priznat posted:

Any appliance (including EVSEs) above 50a has to be hardwired per NFPA 70 I believe. Also, vanishingly few passenger vehicles are going to be equipped with chargers that will take advantage of more than 40a continuous. Hummer EV maybe?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Any appliance (including EVSEs) above 50a has to be hardwired per NFPA 70 I believe. Also, vanishingly few passenger vehicles are going to be equipped with chargers that will take advantage of more than 40a continuous. Hummer EV maybe?

Lots of EVs can do 48A charging.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I think the Ioniq5/Kia can do 48A and those are my current top choices.. Good to know about the hardwire requirement, I wasn't sure of the cutoff. I'd like to just go with whatever has the headroom regardless.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Thomas measured it, 120 cm / 47" wide. That's wider than the back of my Alltrack, which is 40"

Ah thanks. I skipped around the video before so probably missed his famous ruler

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Ah thanks. I skipped around the video before so probably missed his famous ruler

Yeah, I think it just looks narrow because it's tall. It is 8" wider on the outside than the Alltrack as well even though it does not look very wide.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

dissss posted:

The Kona is tiny, the Niro is only a little larger externally but that makes it far more useful IMO

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My dad has a EV Kona. the powertrain is the best part, everything else is the worst. His has a gray interior and it feels very cheap. It's a 20k compact SUV with 15k of bonus EV powertrain. I don't love it. I also think the exterior styling is dumb, and strongly prefer the Niro in that respect.

Thanks. I'm going to go test out a Niro this weekend. I'm cool with the slower fast-charging, since I'd probably use it maybe twice a year.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's annoyingly close to being able to carry a sheet of 4x8 plywood.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

priznat posted:

To pile on, yes this has to be hardwired, and if you can afford it, it seems reasonable to future-proof and/or allow full L2 speed for existing 48A-capable cars (another one not mentioned above is the Polestar 2). Especially if we're just talking some non super long run of wire from the closest panel, I can't imagine the cost difference vs, say, 50A or 40A, would be enormous.

The only obvious reason to prefer a plug (and thus to cap yourself at 50A/40A-continuous) is if you want to cheap out and use your portable EVSE at home, or service visitors who have a different car-facing plug type than yours. (Even there, I think there are adapters to be had...)

Or I guess if you wanted to use some 240V equipment in the same space as the car.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Also it should be hardwired if it is going to be not in a garage but outside instead

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bitprophet posted:

The only obvious reason to prefer a plug (and thus to cap yourself at 50A/40A-continuous) is if you want to cheap out and use your portable EVSE at home, or service visitors who have a different car-facing plug type than yours. (Even there, I think there are adapters to be had...)

In North America that's only a Tesla problem right? Everything else should have the Type 1 connector?

My father has had a fancy-rear end Evnex charger installed but his car has a type 2 connector and my Leaf is type 1 so if I want to plug in there I'd need to pony up for the right cable.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

dissss posted:

In North America that's only a Tesla problem right? Everything else should have the Type 1 connector?

My father has had a fancy-rear end Evnex charger installed but his car has a type 2 connector and my Leaf is type 1 so if I want to plug in there I'd need to pony up for the right cable.

I think Korea is the only other part of the world that has CCS1 and J1772 like us.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah we call type 1 J1772 and I guess never adopted type 2 cause we don't typically have 3 phase.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Chin Strap posted:

Also it should be hardwired if it is going to be not in a garage but outside insteadyour area has adopted NEC 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah and Japan is still J1772 and CHAdeMO aside from Tesla which makes them problematic to buy second hand out of Japan

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a plug because at the time the only EVSE I had was the portable and the circumstances in which I’d give a poo poo whether I’m charging at 40A vs 48A are pretty much non existent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dissss posted:

Even then it's not a huge problem.

Every tesla comes with a J1772 to Tesla adapter, and you can get a Tesla to J1772 adapter for about $200.

Here's a photo with both in action. This works to charge, incidentally.