Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I might be the feudal japanese failson because this is something that somehow never occurred to me.

It's one of the bits that's closer to actual new info than a lot of the rest of the book. In amongst the failson's first war advice there are some deeply clever observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Git Gud (at war) -xxweedlordbonersuntzuxx

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

“I’ll try burning, that’s a good trick!”
-Sunnikan Tskuwalker

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Splicer posted:

I might be the feudal japanese failson because this is something that somehow never occurred to me.

One thing that really fascinates me is reading about/studying how counterintuitive war-fighting and military technologies/strategies are. Often a brilliant strategy boils down to "don't do the first thing that pops into your head"

I remember reading about some ancient conflict (I want to say Roman???) where one side built a fancy oversize siege tower; a wheeled covered ladder that would allow them to easily bust into the fort they were going for. They were real proud of it. The defending general had his troops dump a ton of water on the field before the fight, and the siege tower got bogged down in mud.

WW1 planes had radiators by their engines, the obvious place for them. The pilot was also right there, and if the radiator got shot they would get sprayed with steam.
WW1 planes also didn't have weapons to start with, the pilots had pistols to shoot other pilots, and what amounted to big grenades for bombs, thrown by hand.

WW1 tank design is also a fascinating comedy of errors. Where do you put the diesel engine so it can't get shot? Inside the armor with the crew, obviously!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

I remember reading about some ancient conflict (I want to say Roman???) where one side built a fancy oversize siege tower; a wheeled covered ladder that would allow them to easily bust into the fort they were going for. They were real proud of it. The defending general had his troops dump a ton of water on the field before the fight, and the siege tower got bogged down in mud.
Sounds similar to the Battle of Agincourt. Seems almost like a standard myth that cocky armies with good gear always forget about the mud.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Evilreaver posted:

One thing that really fascinates me is reading about/studying how counterintuitive war-fighting and military technologies/strategies are. Often a brilliant strategy boils down to "don't do the first thing that pops into your head"

WW1 planes had radiators by their engines, the obvious place for them. The pilot was also right there, and if the radiator got shot they would get sprayed with steam.
WW1 planes also didn't have weapons to start with, the pilots had pistols to shoot other pilots, and what amounted to big grenades for bombs, thrown by hand.

WW1 tank design is also a fascinating comedy of errors. Where do you put the diesel engine so it can't get shot? Inside the armor with the crew, obviously!

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkbWN3_CiL4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Captain Hygiene posted:

"Attack their weak point for massive damage" - Sony Tzu

:aaaaa: sun tzu was the original gaming mag "pro tip"

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"In war, fight fast" --Soni Chu

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"to defeat your enemy, shoot at them until they die" --sun tzu

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Somfin posted:

It's one of the bits that's closer to actual new info than a lot of the rest of the book. In amongst the failson's first war advice there are some deeply clever observations.
The more I thought about it the more I realised that I already knew about giving someone an easy out in an argument but applying it to armed conflict just never twigged.

I guess it comes from frequently talking to real people but only ever doing wars against dumb computer AIs who don't understand running away.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
"I used to grab honeys by they neck, piss on they eyebrows
Open up they rear end to throw the bomb up they rectum - BOOM
Blew them panties out the room
Emergency, emergency, it's a urgency
Her rear end in a top hat's outta order, her stomach ain't workin' B
The doctor there with penicillin for her butt hairs"

Sun Tzu and Tim Dog, Bizarre

I think there's a lesson in this for all of us, on and off the battlefield

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Evilreaver posted:

They had rotary engines (NOT like Mazdas) that had total loss lubrication with castor oil. The vapors went right into the pilot’s face and caused horrible diarrhœa.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Platystemon posted:

They had rotary engines (NOT like Mazdas) that had total loss lubrication with castor oil. The vapors went right into the pilot’s face and caused horrible diarrhœa.

and thus was invented the bomber

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

I thought the poo fighters were an urban legend

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" --Sunn O)))

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Splicer posted:

The more I thought about it the more I realised that I already knew about giving someone an easy out in an argument but applying it to armed conflict just never twigged.

I guess it comes from frequently talking to real people but only ever doing wars against dumb computer AIs who don't understand running away.

The other thing is it's not necessarily that they actually have a way out, but just that they need to believe they do so their soldiers don't just dig in and fight to the death. It can totally be that the "way out" is a trap and you just eviscerate them when they're disorganized and running away.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, beyond a minimum foundation of equipment and training, a lot of individual battles are won in the head games one way or another. And not in just a 12d chess meaning but just super small things that impact esprit de corps positively for you and negatively for them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

RFC2324 posted:

and thus was invented the bomber

sounds more like skywriting

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sir Terry Pratchett posted:

He was trying to find some help in the ancient military journals of General Tacticus, whose intelligent campaigning had been so successful that he’d lent his very name to the detailed prosecution of martial endeavour, and had actually found a section headed What to Do If One Army Occupies a Well-fortified and Superior Ground and the Other Does Not, but since the first sentence read ‘Endeavour to be the one inside’ he’d rather lost heart.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Carthag Tuek posted:

sounds more like skyshiteing

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some fun context for that about how most of The Art of War is basically 'the bullet comes out THIS end of the gun' tier advice probably intended for the failsons of nobles so they wouldn't hideously embarrass themselves again when guarding some random village. Not to say that a primer on the basics isn't useful. poo poo like 'logistics is important', 'have a plan, don't let your enemy know what it is until you do it' and 'if your guys are well fed and healthy and the enemy is starving and sick you'll probably win'.

And yet have you seen the news recently?

Sun zu ii: European boogaloo

Chapter 1

Your generals have probably stolen and sold everything you sent them and then lied about it.

Chapter 2

Have a backup plan if your blitzkrieg fails

Chapter 3

Bunker suicides and you, a practical guide.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

haveblue posted:

"to defeat your enemy, shoot at them until they die" --sun tzu

uzT nuS ,em llik tsum uoy ,raw eht niw oT

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Chapter 1

Your generals have probably stolen and sold everything you sent them and then lied about it.

99% sure this was a problem in Sun Tzu's time too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

"Warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" --Sunn O)))

Lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

honda whisperer posted:

And yet have you seen the news recently?

Sun zu ii: European boogaloo

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Have a backup plan if your blitzkrieg fails

Chapter 3

Bunker suicides and you, a practical guide.

I feel like Chapter 3 would be more like

"How to tell if that officer entering the room is bringing you a meal, a report, or a bullet"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lucky Guy posted:

im declaring war on u

I don't have any tanks, so expect my to abandon my 2002 Camry outside your house within the next few days

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

This exchange tickled me.

thotsky posted:

It's going to be Pokémon, but you gently caress your Pokémon.

Splicer posted:

So Pokémon?

e: it appears the internet has lied to me about Pokémon and it is in fact a sex-free videogame series for children. I though it was more like that horse bestiality cartoon from a while back.

e2: are you kidding me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Infinitum posted:

Setup for game day complete. Love a good table filler

Now to get in the mood imma watch a fun film about a Boy and his favourite pal, Egg

They're inseparable.

FulsomFrank posted:

I enjoyed Nemesis but the colour scheme they used I think while thematically appropriate is really annoying to look at and I recall it being difficult to do a quick glance at the board and tell the difference between things. I will admit I played it in someone's backyard and the sun was kinda making it tough to see everything perfectly but it's something that stuck with me.

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Also the cards just completely dissolve into pulp as soon as you touch them. Granted, I did play it in the bathtub.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
"Art does not begin with imitation, but with discipline. Also that's true about war."

Sun Ra Tzu

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:mufasa: There comes a time in every man's life when he comes to a crossroads. While most of us choose the familiar, well trodden path, there will always be the intrepid among us who must take the gamble to fly above it all. Soar free sweet goon, you were too beautiful to ever be tied to this mundane existence. :mufasa:

animalz posted:

BE AUSE THERE IS MORE OT LIFE THAN FORUMS

SHIVISDAS U FUCKIN OLD BONGSMITH BAN MY ASSSSSS6666666666555555555555555555555555555555TO-=GLP[]LV[,FPFVPKDP[DKKPKPFFKPV';FF,.F,/V/V ; ;KFVJFV;KJOGVJGKDKJPOTT-UG

FYAD
BYOB
GBS
D&DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

42R9Y0NCTT0TN00TN8UNT8T8T908895TN085T7858755875878375-5843-787538N7545N837587N2875N58437NCN8375N43755N8735N4N435N3535N87587785

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
dangerously based

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jedit posted:

This exchange tickled me.

:lmao:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
In regards to generals that keep getting picked off in Ukraine, some good Warhammer nerd poo poo

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol their C3 is so hosed up that flag level officers have to ride along at the front like loving warhammer 40k to shout orders, and sometimes get stuck under a template effect and miss their "look out, sir" save

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

loool

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

General Bullshit › :gas: Miracle Fart Berries :gas:

JudyLOV posted:

Has anyone tried these? They're called miracle fart berries and make sour things taste like poo poo. Apparently they make lemon water taste like super-lovely lemonade, and make vinegar taste like a mildly lovely vinegar.

I ordered some a week ago and they're waiting at my house now. I can't wait to get home and try them! I bought the tab forms because they were cheaper. The berries were about $5 each while the tabs were only $1.5 (I got the double-size ones, they are supposed to contain 5 berries per serving :) ).

Any suggestions for food/drinks to try? I'll get back to you on how they turn out. I am a shill and I love to eat poo poo. ;)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's what I'm calling beans from now on

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

shame on an IGA posted:

So last night I was having a nice sexy dream about being ridden cowgirl style and delivering some savage rear end smacks and then I woke up mid-swing and slapped the poo poo out of my nuts IRL

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Anyone have the gunchicka apology post?